Can we get voice chat?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Elva.6372 said:

@Vieux P.1238 said:& that point was pointed out already! So what new argument exactly are you bringing out to the table? NONE! WE already explained why it's a bad idea. & you bring nothing but the same argument that already pointed out 3 times on this thread.

I am not convinced, no persuasive arguments made that effectively countered my chief point. I've played other games, seen how it works, GW2 is NOT such a unique snowflake in the industry that somehow adding a voluntary in game chat (meaning you could decline using it) would somehow equate to
kitten cats and dogs living together!

Blizzard implemented in-game voice chat in WoW. How did that turn out?

@shadowpass.4236 said:

@Brother.1504 said:In game voice chat would open players up do loads of abuse. This is the internet, many people don’t feel bound to the norms of common courtesy and civility.

Mute. Button.

How does your plan work when everyone is muted? Because, honestly, I'd default to doing that until I had some evidence that they were reasonable people. I don't need to hear you screaming at me about what I'm doing wrong, the way you are in this thread to responses you don't like, and it most certainly would not improve the game from my perspective.

I understand you think this would help improve team play and all, but honestly, your plan is fundamentally flawed as it ignores technical issues (anet are not gonna write a good voip solution), and human issues (enough people are abusive to make it something others will avoid, leading to the problem remaining as it is today.)

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

@Brother.1504 said:In game voice chat would open players up do loads of abuse. This is the internet, many people don’t feel bound to the norms of common courtesy and civility.

Mute. Button.

How does your plan work when everyone is muted? Because, honestly, I'd default to doing that until I had some evidence that they were reasonable people. I don't need to hear you screaming at me about what I'm doing wrong, the way you are in this thread to responses you don't like, and it most certainly would not improve the game from my perspective.

I understand you think this would help improve team play and all, but honestly, your plan is fundamentally flawed as it ignores technical issues (anet are not gonna write a good voip solution), and human issues (enough people are abusive to make it something others will avoid, leading to the problem remaining as it is today.)

lol...?

I don't see why this is so hard for people to understand. First of all, it's not a mass mute button. You'd be able to mute individual players if you don't want to listen to them.

Second, for the people that aren't muted, they can easily use the in game voice chat to communicate better in ranked matches. Again, the reason people are asking for duo and team ques are because there is absolutely zero communication between your teammates which you need in order to win.

@shadowpass.4236 said:

@"Brother.1504" said:In game voice chat would open players up do loads of abuse. This is the internet, many people don’t feel bound to the norms of common courtesy and civility.

Mute. Button.

I don't see why this is so hard for people to understand. First of all, it's not a mass mute button. You'd be able to mute individual players if you don't want to listen to them.

It isn't really that hard for people to understand, friend, you just don't listen very good before responding. I did not imagine a "mass mute" button. I did, in fact, imagine exactly the process of pressing mute exactly four times at the start of a match, unless I already knew the person to be someone sensible and reasonable.

I have every confidence that the toxic behaviour that pervades other competitive games online would be just as prevalent in GW2 PvP, given that it is just as prevalent on the forums and on reddit.

Second, for the people that aren't muted, they can easily use the in game voice chat to communicate better in ranked matches. Again, the reason people are asking for duo and team ques are because there is absolutely zero communication between your teammates which you need in order to win.

I'm sure that is true, but then, why is it not sufficient to heavily advertise a Discord server on the forums, reddit, and in the PvP lobby? Get buy-in from the organized PvP groups, get the thing going. Bam, you get your desire without having to beg ANet to do something that, frankly, they would suck at; an MMO developer is not a VoIP client developer, and trying to mix the two is ... not a recipe for the best of both worlds.

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

@"Brother.1504" said:In game voice chat would open players up do loads of abuse. This is the internet, many people don’t feel bound to the norms of common courtesy and civility.

Mute. Button.

It isn't really that hard for people to understand, friend, you just don't listen very good before responding. I did not imagine a "mass mute" button. I did, in fact, imagine exactly the process of pressing mute exactly four times at the start of a match, unless I already knew the person to be someone sensible and reasonable.

I have every confidence that the toxic behaviour that pervades other competitive games online would be just as prevalent in GW2 PvP, given that it is just as prevalent on the forums and on reddit.

I'm sure that is true, but then, why is it not sufficient to heavily advertise a Discord server on the forums, reddit, and in the PvP lobby? Get buy-in from the organized PvP groups, get the thing going. Bam, you get your desire without having to beg ANet to do something that, frankly, they would suck at; an MMO developer is not a VoIP client developer, and trying to mix the two is ... not a recipe for the
best
of both worlds.

If you don't want to listen to someone, just mute them. That's how it works in other games and its really not a problem anywhere else.

There are always toxic people, mute/ignore/block them and move on.

Yes, because it is the playerbase's job to make improvements to the game. /sarcasm

There are some people that attempt to take this into their own hands, hosting community PvP tournaments and events. However, Anet doesn't really support any of them so 90% of them don't gain the traction they deserve.

@"Namless.4028" said:I think that most players would just mute everyone before the game starts.It would only be a waste of development time.

I think that most players won't just mute everyone before the game starts.It wouldn't be a waste of development time.

Nice. So, you gave your opinion and I gave mine. At least if you're going to disagree explain why with something other than "No." so that people can understand your reasoning behind it.

You keep saying mute them, however people don't mute toxic people. Saying just mute them in a forum is much easier than doing it. Once someone starts throwing insults, most feel compelled to defend themselves and just add to the problem. In my experience, public voip is about 5% helpful in matches with about 15% toxic and 80% no one talking on it. There are far bigger problems in sPvP, and scapegoating it onto something like voip won't help anyone.

@zerorogue.9410 said:You keep saying mute them, however people don't mute toxic people. Saying just mute them in a forum is much easier than doing it. Once someone starts throwing insults, most feel compelled to defend themselves and just add to the problem. In my experience, public voip is about 5% helpful in matches with about 15% toxic and 80% no one talking on it. There are far bigger problems in sPvP, and scapegoating it onto something like voip won't help anyone.

Please explain to me how clicking the mute button next to someone's name is too hard for people to do.

There seems to be a disconnect here. Do you people realize that in game voice chats exist in numerous other, more successful and popular games than GW2 yet no one seems to have an issue. Use it if you want, don't use it if you can't handle communicating with other human beings. The mute button exists.

@shadowpass.4236 said:

@zerorogue.9410 said:You keep saying mute them, however people don't mute toxic people. Saying just mute them in a forum is much easier than doing it. Once someone starts throwing insults, most feel compelled to defend themselves and just add to the problem. In my experience, public voip is about 5% helpful in matches with about 15% toxic and 80% no one talking on it. There are far bigger problems in sPvP, and scapegoating it onto something like voip won't help anyone.

Please explain to me how clicking the mute button next to someone's name is too hard for people to do.

There seems to be a disconnect here. Do you people realize that in game voice chats exist in numerous other, more successful and popular games than GW2 yet no one seems to have an issue. Use it if you want, don't use it if you can't handle communicating with other human beings. The mute button exists.

It is already enough that toxic players go full keyboard warriors 90% of the time when they don't understand (or more likely don't want to understand) what the other player is doing.

With voice chat keyboard warrior-ing would turn into histerical whining. Yes mute them but after the third time someone experience this whining behaviour they will automatically turn this feature off or mute everyone before start of the game.

Other games have it but those other games are not MMOs like Guild Wars 2. The only games I have seen with in-game voice chat are FPS games.

So here you go why I would say it wouldn't be useful: People would abuse it and annoy others until everyone will just stop using it. You can say Mute them Mute them Mute them as much as you want but when majority of people will start perma muting everyone this would end up as thrown out time and money from ANet side.

@Solidaris.5423 said:

It is already enough that toxic players go full keyboard warriors 90% of the time when they don't understand (or more likely don't want to understand) what the other player is doing.

With voice chat keyboard warrior-ing would turn into histerical whining. Yes mute them but after the third time someone experience this whining behaviour they will automatically turn this feature off or mute everyone before start of the game.

Other games have it but those other games are not MMOs like Guild Wars 2. The only games I have seen with in-game voice chat are FPS games.

So here you go why I would say it wouldn't be useful: People would abuse it and annoy others until everyone will just stop using it. You can say Mute them Mute them Mute them as much as you want but when majority of people will start perma muting everyone this would end up as thrown out time and money from ANet side.

Your entire argument is based off of some crazy assumption that every single person is a raving lunatic with a mic that will annoy others nonstop until every single person will mute everyone anyways.

It's silly.

Also it doesn't matter if its FPS or an MMO. The fact remains that in game voice chat works in other games, there's really no reason as to why it wouldn't work in GW2 either. It's not like GW2 is the only game with toxic players... lol

@shadowpass.4236 said:

@"zerorogue.9410" said:You keep saying mute them, however people don't mute toxic people. Saying just mute them in a forum is much easier than doing it. Once someone starts throwing insults, most feel compelled to defend themselves and just add to the problem. In my experience, public voip is about 5% helpful in matches with about 15% toxic and 80% no one talking on it. There are far bigger problems in sPvP, and scapegoating it onto something like voip won't help anyone.

Your entire argument is based off of some crazy assumption that every single person is a raving lunatic with a mic that will annoy others nonstop until every single person will mute everyone anyways.

It's silly.

Also it doesn't matter if its FPS or an MMO. The fact remains that in game voice chat works in other games, there's really no reason as to why it wouldn't work in GW2 either. It's not like GW2 is the only game with toxic players... lol

I'm not saying EVERYONE would do that. I am saying it is enough SOME will experience that behavior to discourage from using this feature in the future.

Also "It's not like GW2 is the only game with toxic players... lol" is the WEAKEST argument to say when players are toxic. Just because there are toxicity in other games doesn't mean we should follow and tolerate it here.

So again: It is enough if some players ruin this experience for others to stop using this feature. It could be implemented but it needs more things behind it like Arenanet checking how many times a person was muted and if it extends a certain number it should have some kind of discouragement for it like temporary disabling the function for them or muting them automatically in their next X amount of games etc.

@Solidaris.5423 said:

@"zerorogue.9410" said:You keep saying mute them, however people don't mute toxic people. Saying just mute them in a forum is much easier than doing it. Once someone starts throwing insults, most feel compelled to defend themselves and just add to the problem. In my experience, public voip is about 5% helpful in matches with about 15% toxic and 80% no one talking on it. There are far bigger problems in sPvP, and scapegoating it onto something like voip won't help anyone.

It's silly.

I'm not saying EVERYONE would do that. I am saying it is enough SOME will experience that behavior to discourage from using this feature in the future.

Also "It's not like GW2 is the only game with toxic players... lol" is the WEAKEST argument to say when players are toxic. Just because there are toxicity in other games doesn't mean we should follow and tolerate it here.

So again: It is enough if some players ruin this experience for others to stop using this feature. It could be implemented but it needs more things behind it like Arenanet checking how many times a person was muted and if it extends a certain number it should have some kind of discouragement for it like temporary disabling the function for them or muting them automatically in their next X amount of games etc.

Why would you let a few toxic players ruin it for everyone?

Also the report feature still exists. I don't see the need to punish someone just because another person muted them. That can be easily abused and isn't necessary.

@"shadowpass.4236" said:Why would you let a few toxic players ruin it for everyone?

Also the report feature still exists. I don't see the need to punish someone just because another person muted them. That can be easily abused and isn't necessary.

And voice chat would not be used to abuse players at all? :) Just give it up . The PvP community right now is too selfish for a feature like this.

Team chat and map ping abusers can ruin a match easily right now. Yes you can block them but it can be already too late to win the match after they spewed the chat with their grossness or spammed the map with unneeded attention. Voice chat would not be different if not more direct and annoying. Yes you could mute them but then they would continue in chat and then you will need to block them there as well.

Maybe that would take few seconds for players but that few seconds and the fact you lost your concentration because of some hysterical player not able to handle its feelings can end up ruining the match for you.

In summary: It is risky to implement this in-game. Yes it can be useful and make it feel better for your end if you are playing with mature and reasonable players. But right now we do have players who would abuse it willingly or unwillingly making the experience even worse.

And before you go "but there is toxicity in other games and it works there!" Yes that is true but those games often have a larger playerbase and just because some people can handle such annoyance doesn't mean everyone must be able to do it. Not because they are delicate snowflakes but because some players just want to sit down and play after a long day and not be screeched in their face in their own time just because someone in their team has made a wrong step.

P.S.: I did say that punishment would be done after X amount of different players muted an individual player and not one. The same way as X different players reporting someone would end up with punishment. This system is already in use on the Playstation system and it did discourage abusive usage of voice chats.

Waste of time tbh. I would just mute it and never bother, just like a lot of people that gave up trying to reason with the crybabies in chat. Maybe that would work on legend/plat 3? Idk, all i see in /t chat during my gold 1~plat 2 rankeds are insults in english and spanish, i doubt that would be any different in voice chat.

There is no reason for Anet to invest time and resources into this functionality only to have a lot of people straight up turn off voice because they have zero interest in listening to some random stranger raging at them like they ALREADY DO in chat.

Anet simply needs to bring back queuing as a team and then your team can coordinate which voip they want to use, problem solved.

Just add an ingame voice chat. U have the ability to mute others ofcourse. there is litterally an ingame option to descalate the incase of flaming. if a mute button is not enough, and u feel the need to go into every insult thrown at u. then the problem is with u. Heck one could make it so to just turn off voice chat automatically, just like u can disable teamchat and any other chat u don't like. Even if the majority doesn't use it a small portion will the more competetive players will use it. it would also make ''the divide between team queus and solos smaller as well''. There is stastiscally none except for maby the top players. And maby if this actually works for the plat plus players U might actually see less complaints about plats bieng forced to go into teams to climb.

Heck I play pvp with teamchat disabled after the start of the match. Only read it to see what the opening is gonna be. the rest I don't care. then I open the teamchat again to see who raged. block them and move on. I have zero patience for this crap. and just like me u have a choice. Honestly I get the toxicity there is now. But bieng against the very choice for people to decide if they want to take the risk or not is absurd.

Personally i think most people in this thread, on both sides, are using the wrong arguments:

First of all, GW2 has a more complex social structure than games where integrated comms are widely used. It would be hard to implement a feature where you have voice comms with a group while still having comms with your guild mates (most of the time i'm chatting with guild mates on Discord while doing PvP, sometimes even chatting with guild mates playing on other games even).

Second, this would have been a good idea before they removed teams from ranked. Adding integrated VoIP would negate some of the perceived "advantages" (which never existed, that's why MMR adjustments happen for teams) that teams had.

Third, most games where integrated VoIP is widely used have a console port (battlefields, CoD, etc). In those cases it makes sense to put the VoIP software in the game, since i don't believe you can run third party software concurrently with games in consoles. This is not the case with Guild Wars.

Fourth, i DO BELIEVE that instead of a integrated in-client solution, it might be better for them to simply work with the most popular software (Discord probably, it would be a toss up between discord and ts, but discord is entirely free, so would be the best solution) and create a better integration with GuildWars 2 UI (like outlining the person talking on the group window, maybe even the character itself in the world), instead of just the standard overlay. Maybe even to the point of allowing users to join Arena net owned channels from the client.This would largely remove the need for developing their own solution, but would create a facsimile of a integrated VoIP. I remember when i first tried out Mechwarrior online they had a similar solution with a different VoIP provider. They used their software, but was integrated on the game client in a way that was seamless.

@Sinful.2165 said:PvP is already a very toxic environment. Voice chat is plentiful outside the game itself if you need that level of coordination. But inside the game??? Absolutely not.

People are already doing their best to ruin what little fun is left in PvP. Voice chat would only serve to exacerbate this problem.

so according to you anet shouldn't invest at all in pvp . do you know any investor who will invest in toxic environment which doing their best to ruin it?

@messiah.1908 said:

@Sinful.2165 said:PvP is already a very toxic environment. Voice chat is plentiful outside the game itself if you need that level of coordination. But inside the game??? Absolutely not.

People are already doing their best to ruin what little fun is left in PvP. Voice chat would only serve to exacerbate this problem.

so according to you anet shouldn't invest at all in pvp . do you know any investor who will invest in toxic environment which doing their best to ruin it?

They should 100% invest in PvP. It is my favorite game mode!

However, with VoIP so readily available as is why should Anet “invest” in adding this feature when they could just toggle the switch to allow team queue in ranked again and players can just meet up on the VoIP of their choice before going in to a match?

I presume adding voice comm retroactively to an engine like GW2 would be a huge investment of time and resources to restructure everything and test, debug, etc for a feature I think very few people would utilize in a PUG environment. In an organized team there are already better options available.

Those very same resources could be utilized for any number of more important changes to improve PvP.

@shadowpass.4236 said:

@Namless.4028 said:I think that most players would just mute everyone before the game starts.It would only be a waste of development time.

I think that most players won't just mute everyone before the game starts.It wouldn't be a waste of development time.

I would totally mute everyone... In fact, I don't even play with game sounds on so I wouldn't need too, always have media player running instead.

When you're my age, 90% of players are children... Children full of testosterone looking to get emotional over a pixelated death or mistake.

I'm not against voice chats, but I certainly wouldn't use it.

Archived