[PvE] what is power soulbeast missing?

Lunateric.3708

They could go the easy route and simply give them the Spellbreaker treatment. Add new 5-10% modifiers to existing traits in PvE.

Hunter's Gaze 5-10% damage modifier (core ranger) while you are affected by might - depending on the amount of might on you.Leader of the Pack 10% damage boost while you are using a stance (Soulbeast).

This might put them on a similar level to warriors as offensive supports and allow for multiple build choices depending on what you intend to cover.

@Henry.5713 said:They could go the easy route and simply give them the Spellbreaker treatment. Add new 5-10% modifiers to existing traits in PvE.

Hunter's Gaze 5-10% damage modifier (core ranger) while you are affected by might - depending on the amount of might on you.Leader of the Pack 10% damage boost while you are using a stance (Soulbeast).

This might put them on a similar level to warriors as offensive supports and allow for multiple build choices depending on what you intend to cover.

I think twice as vicious should be the thing interacting with stances... as in you get the buff after using a stance, extending its duration a bit considering stances are on bigger cooldowns.

@Henry.5713 said:They could go the easy route and simply give them the Spellbreaker treatment. Add new 5-10% modifiers to existing traits in PvE.

If they really wanted to take the easy route, they would just split Oppressive Supremacy's bonuses to be 20% in PvE-only. No reason to add more personal DPS to Leader of the Pack's supportive nature. It just makes the pure, selfish DPS trait even weaker.

That and change Far-Sighted to work with all damage instead of projectiles only. An extra 5% in melee and 10% beyond 600 range right there.

I think the problem is that, even with power and boon related traits, and power and boon related skills gained from merging with beasts, there's only one kinda power-related stance, and mainhand dagger isn't a power weapon. This makes soulbeast more condi oriented. Since core ranger has kinda poor power weapons and traits, probably the realistic way to get a power ranger build is to wait for a power-spec, probably the next one (I hope for hammer).

• 2 weeks later...

@Akeno.4962 said:I think the problem is that, even with power and boon related traits, and power and boon related skills gained from merging with beasts, there's only one kinda power-related stance, and mainhand dagger isn't a power weapon. This makes soulbeast more condi oriented. Since core ranger has kinda poor power weapons and traits, probably the realistic way to get a power ranger build is to wait for a power-spec, probably the next one (I hope for hammer).

Greatsword is a pretty clear contender for BiS power weapons. The issue mainly comes from the swap - either axe or sword - and both are excessively weak power weapons imo.

@Akeno.4962 said:I think the problem is that, even with power and boon related traits, and power and boon related skills gained from merging with beasts, there's only one kinda power-related stance, and mainhand dagger isn't a power weapon. This makes soulbeast more condi oriented. Since core ranger has kinda poor power weapons and traits, probably the realistic way to get a power ranger build is to wait for a power-spec, probably the next one (I hope for hammer).

Wouldn't hold your breath tbh.

Power SB is already a direct DPS upgrade and that requires us to be in beast mode the entire fight.

I just don't see Anet giving us a weapon and a few traits that will make up for the heavy stat boost and damage mods we get from SB.

It would need to be one of the hardest hitting specs in the game to offset our power damage handicap inherent in the class.

@Substance E.4852 said:

Wouldn't hold your breath tbh.

Power SB is already a direct DPS upgrade and that requires us to be in beast mode the entire fight.

I just don't see Anet giving us a weapon and a few traits that will make up for the heavy stat boost and damage mods we get from SB.

It would need to be one of the hardest hitting specs in the game to offset our power damage handicap inherent in the class.

I completely agree with you. I think it's safer and better for balance for them to buff or rework aspects of ranger that make it a weak power class IE the slow weapons, low modifiers, traits that are disgustingly niche, Opening Strike, etc.

An ideal compromise would be a spec that has massive access to AoE skills or actual, reliable team support/buffs.

Make our next weapon a hammer that works like the necro/ele staff or give us utilities that rival the DH traps.

Raw damage is our biggest shortcoming but we also have a pathetically low amount of AoE of any kind. Even staff DD can spam vault for massive effortless blasts.

We're about the only class that can't go ham with AoE on some kind of build.

@Substance E.4852 said:An ideal compromise would be a spec that has massive access to AoE skills or actual, reliable team support/buffs.

Make our next weapon a hammer that works like the necro/ele staff or give us utilities that rival the DH traps.

Raw damage is our biggest shortcoming but we also have a pathetically low amount of AoE of any kind. Even staff DD can spam vault for massive effortless blasts.

A Warden with skill type of Consecrations? :o

@jcbroe.4329 said:

@Substance E.4852 said:An ideal compromise would be a spec that has massive access to AoE skills or actual, reliable team support/buffs.

A Warden with skill type of Consecrations? :o

Pretty much.

As much as I'd love Thumper 2.0 farming salt by hitting like a freight train and spamming knockdowns with dual Hyenas, It's just not gonna happen.

Soulbeast is already the most realistic way to make a power ranger build work. Everything it gets from merging with the pets, from the stats to traits that now works with the ranger instead of the pet (traits that also happen to be in the same traitline as the trait for our current best power weapon, the GS) are exactly what it needed to make up for low power coefficients and.. having a pet, I guess. A regular hammer spec with a couple of potential damage modifiers isn't gonna make up for that.

Soulbeast is useless as a condi spec for pvp, and the dagger is really the only thing about this spec that doesn't scream power build for pve (a couple of stances aside, but they don't matter, two of your utilities are sic'em and the ferocity signet anyway). It's like I said before Path of Fire, that dagger should have been a power weapon. The outcome was obvious.

As for what it currently needs, less reliance on sic'em would be nice. Potential rework of the dagger. As for more realistic changes; revert the damage modifier trait in marksmanship to affect all ranger weapons. Perhaps give Essence of Speed a damage modifier while under the effect of quickness, it's such an underwhelming trait to begin with.

• 2 weeks later...

@Lazze.9870 said:

Soulbeast is already the most realistic way to make a power ranger build work. Everything it gets from merging with the pets, from the stats to traits that now works with the ranger instead of the pet (traits that also happen to be in the same traitline as the trait for our current best power weapon, the GS) are exactly what it needed to make up for low power coefficients and.. having a pet, I guess. A regular hammer spec with a couple of potential damage modifiers isn't gonna make up for that.

Soulbeast is useless as a condi spec for pvp, and the dagger is really the only thing about this spec that doesn't scream power build for pve (a couple of stances aside, but they don't matter, two of your utilities are sic'em and the ferocity signet anyway). It's like I said before Path of Fire, that dagger should have been a power weapon. The outcome was obvious.

As for what it currently needs, less reliance on sic'em would be nice. Potential rework of the dagger. As for more realistic changes; revert the damage modifier trait in marksmanship to affect all ranger weapons. Perhaps give Essence of Speed a damage modifier while under the effect of quickness, it's such an underwhelming trait to begin with.

I'd say it's also in our best interest for opening strike to either reapply baseline with a minor or be reworked into something else entirely, as it stands you proc it once when starting a fight and that's it. Remorseless has its merits for some burst PvP/WvW builds but then in PvE it has to compete with the 15% damage mod and the winner there is pretty obvious

@Lunateric.3708 said:

@"Akeno.4962" said:I think the problem is that, even with power and boon related traits, and power and boon related skills gained from merging with beasts, there's only one kinda power-related stance, and mainhand dagger isn't a power weapon. This makes soulbeast more condi oriented. Since core ranger has kinda poor power weapons and traits, probably the realistic way to get a power ranger build is to wait for a power-spec, probably the next one (I hope for hammer).

I'd say it's also in our best interest for opening strike to either reapply baseline with a minor or be reworked into something else entirely, as it stands you proc it once when starting a fight and that's it. Remorseless has its merits for some burst PvP/WvW builds but then in PvE it has to compete with the 15% damage mod and the winner there is pretty obvious

Yeah, opening strikes needs refreshment built into it regardless of what grandmaster trait you chose. I like the idea of having it refresh differently depending on what grandmaster you pick. Predator's Onslaught might perhaps refresh it when applying movement-impending conditions (with an ICD). Synergizes with itself and it makes sense for the "damage over time" trait to also cause vulnerability over time, as opposed to remorseless which is a burst trait. Lead the Wind can have it refresh on stealth, which you get from longbow #3. Then change the minor that makes OS inflict cripple and add a damage modifier against foes with vuln, like EVERY other class get from traitlines that are based around it.

Archived