First time player

Kirito.2537

Hi

im new to GW2 and been having alot off fun with mesmer but iv gotten to lv11 for my first Skills choice and im not sure what to go with, iv looked online but then realised i know nothing off the game etc to understand what the builds are going for. Im pretty much looking for a solo pvp build with power but the fun off the illusions if possible as its what id like to use but not to fussed if i carnt :D

thanks for any help ^_^

@"Kirito.2537" said:Hi

im new to GW2 and been having alot off fun with mesmer but iv gotten to lv11 for my first Skills choice and im not sure what to go with, iv looked online but then realised i know nothing off the game etc to understand what the builds are going for. Im pretty much looking for a solo pvp build with power but the fun off the illusions if possible as its what id like to use but not to fussed if i carnt :D

thanks for any help ^_^

Please don't play PvP, especially if you're a new player. Play mesmer in PvE first to learn how to play the profession properly.

Weapon skills are unlocked based on your level. You have to equip the weapon your profession can use in order to unlock the weapon skills. As for utility skills (skills 7, 8, 9, 0) you have to consume hero points in PvE maps in order to unlock them. You can achieve hero points from leveling up and from consuming them in PvE maps.

For builds, here's a brief description what the specializations are used for (these are for core mesmer):

1. Domination

Interrupting foes, increasing overall DPS, improves greatsword and signet skills.

1. Dueling

Improves dodging and blocking skills which is great for survivability, improves pistol sword and mantra skills.

1. Chaos

Increases condition damage, improves staff trident and manupilation skills.

1. Inspiration

Improves phantasms, healing, focus and glamour skills.

1. Illusions

Improves shatters, illusions, scepter and torch skills.

I recommend for you to use greatsword and sword/focus as your weapon sets. You'll be using the greatsword most of the time for the power damage.

For specializations, use Domination (2-2-1 or 2-2-2), Dueling (1-3-1) and Illusions (1-2-2). These are just my recommendations, but it's always better for you to try out things as you level up.

@Hoodie.1045 said:

thanks for any help ^_^

Please don't play PvP, especially if you're a new player. Play mesmer in PvE first to learn how to play the profession properly.

Weapon skills are unlocked based on your level. You have to equip the weapon your profession can use in order to unlock the weapon skills. As for utility skills (skills 7, 8, 9, 0) you have to consume hero points in PvE maps in order to unlock them. You can achieve hero points from leveling up and from consuming them in PvE maps.

For builds, here's a brief description what the specializations are used for (these are for core mesmer):
  1. Domination

Interrupting foes, increasing overall DPS, improves greatsword and signet skills.
  1. Dueling

Improves dodging and blocking skills which is great for survivability, improves pistol sword and mantra skills.
  1. Chaos

1. Inspiration

1. Illusions

I recommend for you to use greatsword and sword/focus as your weapon sets. You'll be using the greatsword most of the time for the power damage.

For specializations, use Domination (2-2-1 or 2-2-2), Dueling (1-3-1) and Illusions (1-2-2). These are just my recommendations, but it's always better for you to try out things as you level up.

Thanks for this, I'd love it if there was such a simple summary of all the classes. I've pretty much got the hang of my main class, but my rarely played level-80-boosted alts are mostly using the default builds the boost gave them. Now at least my mesmer is a little fine-tuned. ^^

@"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:

thanks for any help ^_^

1. Domination

1. Dueling

1. Chaos

1. Inspiration

1. Illusions

Thanks for this, I'd love it if there was such a simple summary of all the classes. I've pretty much got the hang of my main class, but my rarely played level-80-boosted alts are mostly using the default builds the boost gave them. Now at least my mesmer is a little fine-tuned. ^^

I'll be happy to give you a brief description of all the professions.

1. Engineer

Pros: the most addictive and rewarding profession when played right with kits.Cons: too complex and not recommended for new players (unless you play the dumbed down Holosmith that is 10 times easier to play).

Elite specializations:

Scrapper - tankHolosmith - easy to play DPS

1. Elementalist

Pros: a profession that can be a DPS or a support and with good timing skills, it can achieve the highest possible damage.Cons: requires fast reflexes when you're playing a Fresh Air scepter/focus or even scepter/dagger build in order to achieve the highest possible damage. You can use the staff while attuned to fire to deal a lot of damage, but it won't be the same as the damage from Fresh Air.

Elite specializations:

Tempest - supportWeaver - DPS

1. Guardian

Pros: a profession that can deal damage and supports allies.Cons: not too beginner friendly, it does require some practice when using virtues or different skills and weapons.

Elite specializations:

Dragonhunter - ranged DPS with bunker capabilitiesFirebrand - condition support

1. Thief

Pros: strong bursts from stealth with dagger/pistol or survivability from evasiveness when using sword/dagger.Cons: not beginner friendly, low survivability if you're not evading properly with sword/dagger or you don't know how to stealth yourself with dagger/pistol to escape danger.

Elite specializations:

Daredevil - burst DPS from stealthDeadeye - ranged DPS

1. Warrior

Pros: beginner friendly, high damage with axe/axe, evasiveness and cleave damage with greatsword and CC with hammer.Cons: the easiest profession to be kited by other professions, not too many supportive skills aside from banners that grant regeneration to allies and shouts that heal allies.

Elite specializations:

Berserker - conditionSpellbreaker - core warrior set on easy mode

1. Mesmer

Pros: high damage when played right, a lot of fighting utilities (evasion, blocking, stealth etc.), teleportation, strong bursts from stealth (stronger than the thiefs' burst).Cons: not beginner friendly and a lot of things to consider with the profession.

Elite specializations:

Chronomancer - tanky DPSMirage - condition

1. Ranger

Pros: beginner friendly, highest ranged damage with longbow.Cons: somewhat vulnerable to CC, high damage and condition damage.

Elite specializations:

Druid - supportSoulbeast - DPS

1. Necromancer

Pros: beginner friendly, arguably the easiest to play for beginners.Cons: vulnerable to CC and no blocking skills to sustain damage.

Elite specializations:

Reaper - melee DPSScourge - easy to play condition

1. Revenant

Pros: high damage when played right, mixed profession that allows you to be either a support or tank or DPS.Cons: requires the HoT expansion to play.

Elite specializations:

Herald - tanky supportRenegade - ranged DPS

Archived