Old old returning player needs help

MKel.2069

Hello, I played from launch till right before HoT. So atm, I don't have any expansion as of yet (will most likely get PoF though).

I need some help with the classes and I've been reading ALOT, but it's so much information that it's simply too confusing for me right now. I used to play Guardian and Mesmer back in those days and since I'm going to a new server, will be restarting from zero. I don't have time to try out all the characters and would like to focus one at the moment. I am undecided between ranger, guardian and warrior. I know they have different playstyles but the problem with guardian back then was that they couldnt deal much dps. Is this still true? What I'm looking for is a core class that can solo pve well enough, and when I hit 80, switch to the elite spec (PoF). Ideally I want someone who can roam around during wvw and kill. I don't really want to be a support player unless absolutely needed.

Anyone can help me out here?

@"MKel.2069" said:I need some help with the classes and I've been reading ALOT, but it's so much information that it's simply too confusing for me right now. I used to play Guardian and Mesmer back in those days and since I'm going to a new server, will be restarting from zero. I don't have time to try out all the characters and would like to focus one at the moment. I am undecided between ranger, guardian and warrior. I know they have different playstyles but the problem with guardian back then was that they couldnt deal much dps. Is this still true? What I'm looking for is a core class that can solo pve well enough, and when I hit 80, switch to the elite spec (PoF). Ideally I want someone who can roam around during wvw and kill. I don't really want to be a support player unless absolutely needed.

Anyone can help me out here?

If you're new and still don't know a lot about the game, start with warrior, ranger or necromancer. Those are the most beginner friendly professions. But if you want more info about all of the professions, here's a brief description:

1. Engineer

Pros: the most addictive and rewarding profession when played right with kits.Cons: too complex and not recommended for new players (unless you play the dumbed down Holosmith that is 10 times easier to play).

1. Elementalist

Pros: a profession that can be a DPS or a support and with good timing skills, it can achieve the highest possible damage.Cons: requires fast reflexes when you're playing a Fresh Air scepter/focus or even scepter/dagger build in order to achieve the highest possible damage. You can use the staff while attuned to fire to deal a lot of damage, but it won't be the same as the damage from Fresh Air.

1. Guardian

Pros: a profession that can deal damage and supports allies.Cons: not too beginner friendly, it does require some practice when using virtues or different skills and weapons.

1. Thief

Pros: strong bursts from stealth with dagger/pistol or survivability from evasiveness when using sword/dagger.Cons: not beginner friendly, low survivability if you're not evading properly with sword/dagger or you don't know how to stealth yourself with dagger/pistol to escape danger.

1. Warrior

Pros: beginner friendly, high damage with axe/axe, evasiveness and cleave damage with greatsword and CC with hammer.Cons: the easiest profession to be kited by other professions, not too many supportive skills aside from banners that grant regeneration to allies and shouts that heal allies.

1. Mesmer

Pros: high damage when played right, a lot of fighting utilities (evasion, blocking, stealth etc.), teleportation, strong bursts from stealth (stronger than the thiefs' burst).Cons: not beginner friendly and a lot of things to consider with the profession.

1. Ranger

Pros: beginner friendly, highest ranged damage with longbow.Cons: somewhat vulnerable to CC, high damage and condition damage.

1. Necromancer

Pros: beginner friendly, arguably the easiest to play for beginners.Cons: vulnerable to CC and no blocking skills to sustain damage.

1. Revenant

Pros: high damage when played right, mixed profession that allows you to be either a support or tank or DPS.Cons: requires the HoT expansion to play.

Try to get into your old classes again.Mesmer is very different to how it was. Chrono is much more fluent now and Mirage is just hell a fun to play. You have to exspect nerfs tgough because they are darn OP atm.Guard has now much more smg it used to. DH is a bit behind though. Core and the new E-spec are very popular

@InsaneQR.7412 said:Try to get into your old classes again.Mesmer is very different to how it was. Chrono is much more fluent now and Mirage is just hell a fun to play. You have to exspect nerfs tgough because they are darn OP atm.Guard has now much more smg it used to. DH is a bit behind though. Core and the new E-spec are very popular

Yeah, I read that Mirage is OP as hell now. So many things different that I got overwhelmed when I logged in. I will probably transfer my characters to a new server since I am lazy to retrain them from scratch. I'd probably create a new ranger just to learn everything again though.

One important side note: you can't just start on a new server. If you use your old account, you are still bound to your last server. If you want to use a different one, you have to pay a transfer and you automatically move all your other chars to this new server.

So in other words, you can't have different chars on different servers. They are always on one server, but that doesn't matter anymore. This is quite different than the usus of MMOs. So in other words: only WvW is affected and you also might just stay on the same server, since for all PvE content you just can guest play for an infinite time on different servers.

@MKel.2069 said:

@InsaneQR.7412 said:Try to get into your old classes again.Mesmer is very different to how it was. Chrono is much more fluent now and Mirage is just hell a fun to play. You have to exspect nerfs tgough because they are darn OP atm.Guard has now much more smg it used to. DH is a bit behind though. Core and the new E-spec are very popular

Yeah, I read that Mirage is OP as hell now. So many things different that I got overwhelmed when I logged in. I will probably transfer my characters to a new server since I am lazy to retrain them from scratch. I'd probably create a new ranger just to learn everything again though.

Thats a good idea. As a ranger main i can say that its not totally OP (got nerfed recently on druid) but its decent in all gamemodes. You can roam with it, its fantastic for open PvE and has easily a place in groups in fractals and raids due to unique buffs, good heals and stance sharing on soulbeast.Guardian is still very fluid to play, although i am not a fan of FB because it does not suit my playstyle, it is very strong in many aspects.Mirage is a spamfest but its still very engaging IMO and fantastic in all gamemodes.Initially i personally disliked chrono but i am currently thinking about to get new gear for a chronobuild, because its now far easier to get the hang of it.Core Mesmer is also very nice to play and with guard one of the core specs that performs the best without an elite.

@ProtoGunner.4953 said:One important side note: you can't just start on a new server. If you use your old account, you are still bound to your last server. If you want to use a different one, you have to pay a transfer and you automatically move all your other chars to this new server.

So in other words, you can't have different chars on different servers. They are always on one server, but that doesn't matter anymore. This is quite different than the usus of MMOs. So in other words: only WvW is affected and you also might just stay on the same server, since for all PvE content you just can guest play for an infinite time on different servers.

Yup I get it. I was implying the paid transfer since I think it's a waste of time and my past efforts to just ditch it (sentimental value).

@InsaneQR.7412 said:

Thats a good idea. As a ranger main i can say that its not totally OP (got nerfed recently on druid) but its decent in all gamemodes. You can roam with it, its fantastic for open PvE and has easily a place in groups in fractals and raids due to unique buffs, good heals and stance sharing on soulbeast.Guardian is still very fluid to play, although i am not a fan of FB because it does not suit my playstyle, it is very strong in many aspects.Mirage is a spamfest but its still very engaging IMO and fantastic in all gamemodes.Initially i personally disliked chrono but i am currently thinking about to get new gear for a chronobuild, because its now far easier to get the hang of it.Core Mesmer is also very nice to play and with guard one of the core specs that performs the best without an elite.

Mesmer was so difficult to level up back in those days and was unwanted. I just played it cos it looked fun, couldnt get the hang of it though.

@MKel.2069 said:

@ProtoGunner.4953 said:One important side note: you can't just start on a new server. If you use your old account, you are still bound to your last server. If you want to use a different one, you have to pay a transfer and you automatically move all your other chars to this new server.

Yup I get it. I was implying the paid transfer since I think it's a waste of time and my past efforts to just ditch it (sentimental value).

Mesmer was so difficult to level up back in those days and was unwanted. I just played it cos it looked fun, couldnt get the hang of it though.

Its far easier now. You still have 2 types of illusions but only one persists (clones) and can be shattered the other is just doing 1 skill and deals heavy dmg (phantasms). Shatters still do the old stuff. Direct dmg, condi dmg, stun and invuln.

Archived