I am so sick of sitting at loading screens

i sometimes play ESO and fallout 4, i need to load a ton more yet it's loaded in a fraction of the time GW2 does.you can blame the computer but i would suggest blaming it on GW2 for the most part, it's slower then even the most ambitious games.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Selminus.1490 said:How are they this bad? I can run the game on max settings if I want but if I want to change zones, I have to go afk and mill around the house while I stare at a painting. What is up with this?

Umm, what kind of PC you have? I don't have an SSD but my loading screens are rarely more than 30-45 seconds and more often 10-20 seconds.

A seven year old Dell PC running Linux for the Win!

@lagrangewei.8516 said:windows can also cache the game in ram if you have a ton of it unused. ram and ssd upgrade are worth it if loading time really egg u.

Yah, and the RAM is honestly the better investment, because it is still orders of magnitude faster than SSD. 32GB of RAM will make the game vastly faster. Not instant, but ... that is enough that it rarely needs to reach out to storage for anything.

I don't think its the RAM, or HD. It's Always specific maps that take tons of time, eg. Divinity Reach. Why do we have to load everything when we only need a small portion of the map? And why wait for loading until we access? Just load it on entering the game (I have enough ram, yes), without players and fill it with players while accessing the maps shops, banks, etc.

The only loading screen that has taken any noticeable amount of time for me was Sandswept Isles when it was first introduced. But that was an acknowledged bug and has since been fixed. Oh and for some reason, returning to Lion's Arch after participating in an Activity is a bit slow, but as that's only a once a day thing it's no big deal.

@Stalkingwolf.6035 said:when > @sevenDEADLY.5281 said:

@sevenDEADLY.5281 said:Invest in an SSD. Problem solved.

not really. some of the loading screens are really long in this game. especially into Lily of the Elon

Yes really.

when the loading times are bad with SSD, it is unplayable with a HDD.i think the game has other problems.

You don't really get it ... it's not the game. I have an SSD ... my load times are fine. It CAN'T be a game problem if I'm good and you aren't.

@Stalkingwolf.6035 said:

@"sevenDEADLY.5281" said:Invest in an SSD. Problem solved.

not really. some of the loading screens are really long in this game. especially into Lily of the Elon

Yes. Those are mostly delays as the server sends the list of models to dynamically load, and those are loaded from storage. Can't plan ahead for which monsters, players, etc, are in a location. This is why the smart way to deal with this problem is "step one, turn on -mapLoadInfo and find out where the delay is", rather than just "buy an SSD lololol"

@"SlippyCheeze.5483" said: This is why the smart way to deal with this problem is "step one, turn on -mapLoadInfo and find out where the delay is"

Also, try repairing your client? Do a clean start of your game too? I have an SSD with a decent machine. And my loading screens are less than 3 seconds in any map. It was getting tedious at LA during Halloween, but all ok after that.

@TigStripe.2379 said:5-10 seconds is excessively long? For what, putting on pants?

For originally loading in a third of that time, it is very long. Also if you check the details, most of that time is spent waiting. I suspect the server first has to confirm your position in the new map, and for some reason this seems to happen very slowly. Then your client starts loading the resources.

@TigStripe.2379 said:5-10 seconds is excessively long? For what, putting on pants?

For originally loading in a third of that time, it is very long. Also if you check the details, most of that time is spent waiting. I suspect the server first has to confirm your position in the new map, and for some reason this seems to happen very slowly. Then your client starts loading the resources.

@Carighan.6758 said:

For originally loading in a third of that time, it
is
very long. Also if you check the details, most of that time is spent waiting. I suspect the server
first
has to confirm your position in the new map, and for some reason this seems to happen very slowly.
Then
your client starts loading the resources.

Nah, a bunch of resources are static on the map, and loaded automatically by the client. Check out your own -mapLoadInfo and you will see that.

(You can also see evidence by way of occasionally catching a glimpse of, say, a rich candy corn mining node, which then vanishes, outside the holiday. Those are statically positioned in the client, and hidden or shown dynamically by the server.)

Ran a few map tests here and there, most of my loading times are an average of 5-9 seconds with a few PoF maps exceptions taking 16-17 seconds and this is with a normal HDD. A slow load may be caused by a number of things, most common ones are bad sectors/read errors, and background activity.

Another possible cause is low Ram (which I doubt it's the OP's case but worth mentioning), if you have let's say 4GB ram and running more than just GW2, there might be a chance the OS is writing to the pagefile.

It might help us a bit more if OP shares some information about his system. He mentioned he has an SSD which helps, but what about the rest of the system?

Archived