I am so sick of sitting at loading screens

@ArmoredVehicle.2849 said:Ran a few map tests here and there, most of my loading times are an average of 5-9 seconds with a few PoF maps exceptions taking 16-17 seconds and this is with a normal HDD. A slow load may be caused by a number of things, most common ones are bad sectors/read errors, and background activity.

Great advice! Folks, you can check this in the Activity Monitor tool. Is your HDD hitting 100 percent activity? That'd be making everything slooow....

Another possible cause is low Ram (which I doubt it's the OP's case but worth mentioning), if you have let's say 4GB ram and running more than just GW2, there might be a chance the OS is writing to the pagefile.

Even without paging, a 4GB machine with a 2.5GB GW2 process, is going to have way less memory for caching content than an 8GB machine. That means way more time waiting on data loading from disk, instead of disk cache in memory, so way slower. Swapping isn't the only thing that'll slow you down with limited memory.

Also, in general, the cheapest performance upgrade for most people is more memory. 32GB is supported on most current motherboards, and is a huge improvement since you will get half the gw2.dat file in memory, and so super-fast, regardless of SSD vs HDD.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

@Biff.5312 said:I usually wait a few seconds. Maybe as much as 10 if it's for a region where the daily is. It's on your end.

No it's NOT on he's end. We are hundres of poeple with this problem. I run GW2 on a Samsung evo 960 Nvme and my loading times are slow AF. This has been going on for allmost a year now and still no fix. It takes about 2 min. before a get the char select screen and then again about 2 min. to get into LA

I have ZERO problems with load times in any other games at all. It is ONLY GW2 that has the problem and the repair option does not fix anything

@Pansertjald.5746 said:

@Biff.5312 said:I usually wait a few seconds. Maybe as much as 10 if it's for a region where the daily is. It's on your end.

No it's NOT on he's end. We are hundres of poeple with this problem. I run GW2 on a Samsung evo 960 Nvme and my loading times are slow AF. This has been going on for allmost a year now and still no fix. It takes about 2 min. before a get the char select screen and then again about 2 min. to get into LA

I have ZERO problems with load times in any other games at all. It is ONLY GW2 that has the problem and the repair option does not fix anything

On my old laptop which had a nividia 960 and only 4gb of RAM with a terrible AMD Processor and no SSD the longest loading screen i had was lions arch and that was 40 seconds, the average was 10-20, which given those specs is very generous, my new computer with a 1070, 16GB of RAM, an intel I7 and a SSD, my loading screens never take longer than 3-5 seconds on average and lions arch is around 8 so pretty sure its on their end.

If it was the game, would not everyone have the issue of long loading times in excess of 2 minutes? I play on a very old potato computer, and even I don't have to wait 2 minutes to get to the Character Select screen. There are certain maps and/or times that it takes awhile to load in, but usually only on a 'first-time' basis.

Perhaps, a ticket to the Tech CS Team might be in order.

Good luck.

@Dante.1763 said:

On my old laptop which had a nividia 960 and only 4gb of RAM with a terrible AMD Processor and no SSD the longest loading screen i had was lions arch and that was 40 seconds, the average was 10-20, which given those specs is very generous, my new computer with a 1070, 16GB of RAM, an intel I7 and a SSD, my loading screens never take longer than 3-5 seconds on average and lions arch is around 8 so pretty sure its on their end.

If it was 10 people or so, that had this problem, then yes it would seem to be on their end, but we are talking about hundres of people having this problem and ONLY in GW2. So no the problem is not on their/my end

@Pansertjald.5746 said:

If it was 10 people or so, that had this problem, then yes it would seem to be on their end, but we are talking about hundres of people having this problem and ONLY in GW2. So no the problem is not on their/my end

See what the post above you said: if it was a game problem everyone would be seeing the issue.

@Radiobiology.6185 said:Because Guild Wars 2 is the most poorly optimized mmorpg to date.

Believe me when I say there are a lot worse. Gotta get creative with your hyperbole! Hold yourself to a higher standard then the thing you're making fun of.

Now if you want to talk incredibly well optimized, one game loaded so fast that it spawned me in and I immediately fell before the ground even loaded under me.

@Selminus.1490 said:How are they this bad? I can run the game on max settings if I want but if I want to change zones, I have to go afk and mill around the house while I stare at a painting. What is up with this?

Check your own hardware.

I run this in Linux using WINE. I have an avg load time in almost any map of about 5-10 seconds. I am using hardware that is 9-12 years old and a CPU with at least 50,000hrs on it.

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

@"sevenDEADLY.5281" said:Invest in an SSD. Problem solved.

not really. some of the loading screens are really long in this game. especially into Lily of the Elon

Yes. Those are mostly delays as the server sends the list of models to dynamically load, and those are loaded from storage. Can't plan ahead for which monsters, players, etc, are in a location. This is why the smart way to deal with this problem is "step one, turn on
-mapLoadInfo
and find out where the delay is", rather than just "buy an SSD lololol"

I would do this as well.

But I would also buy and install an SSD or m2 style one either way. It is almost the end of the second decade of the new millennia. They are just not that costly anymore :)

@sevenDEADLY.5281 said:Invest in an SSD. Problem solved.

In most cases, it is not a local issue but a server routing issue, which your SSD can't help you with.

@Selminus.1490 said:How are they this bad? I can run the game on max settings if I want but if I want to change zones, I have to go afk and mill around the house while I stare at a painting. What is up with this?

It an issue connecting to their servers. You are not being routed properly. I have been having the same issue since early 2016. I talked to my ISP for two full months (we eliminated any possible sources that could worsen the issue), and now I have been talking to GW2 support for about three - they let me run dozens of tests, although I assured them that the problem is not on my end, and so far we haven't been able to solve it. It's a bummer. I remember the days when my old DSL connected prefectly to GW2's servers and loading was a matter of a few seconds.

P.S. Wrong subforum for a technical topic.

@Pansertjald.5746 said:

It is a local problem when it's hundred's of people out of millions of players. As several others have said, everyone would be having this problem if it wasn't local.

@Zaklex.6308 said:

It is a local problem when it's hundred's of people out of millions of players. As several others have said, everyone would be having this problem if it wasn't local.

No they would not. Diffrent hardware, diffrent problems. Are you guys new to the world of hardware?

@Pansertjald.5746 said:

@Pansertjald.5746 said:..."Diffrent hardware, diffrent problems."...So it IS local, then.

No it is bad coding on Anet's side. We have ZERO problems in other games. It is ONLY in GW2 that there is a problem, mening that Anet has a problem some where in their coding

or your internet take another route to anet servers then other games servers we dont know if its on their side or bettwen you and them.

@Pansertjald.5746 said:

@Pansertjald.5746 said:..."Diffrent hardware, diffrent problems."...So it IS local, then.

No it is bad coding on Anet's side. We have ZERO problems in other games. It is ONLY in GW2 that there is a problem, mening that Anet has a problem some where in their coding

It depends on what other games you're talking about and the combination of hardware. GTA5 for example takes an eternity to load either single-player or multiplayer regardless of whether the game is on an HDD or an M.2 SSD [plus alt tabbing increases load time], the difference only impacts texture pop-in. I could actually list a fair amount of games that load slower than GW2, and even run into freezing issues if they're on an HDD.

Between 5 desktops none of them load GW2 slow for me, Lion's Arch and Mistlock are the only areas where I wait much time, and it's still only a few seconds due to how crowded it is most of the time. I also live far enough [plus garbage isp] that I run into packet loss and high ping, loading maps even causes my ping to spike and I still don't have loading issues across multiple desktops with different hardware and driver configurations.

I've also had bad experience with 'some' loading screens.

I have the game installed on my SSD, my comp specs are fairly good as the comp was built for me by a friend less than a year ago and this is the only game I have on my SSD. Most loading screens take no longer than 5 seconds, but whenever I go to a big city, especially Lion's Arch and Mistlock Sanctuary (or Auric Basin/Dragon's Stand when Meta Event is about to start) bumps that up to a good 30 seconds wait.

At this point I'm not sure if there's a fix for my specific problem but it's so annoying when you want to go somewhere fast. I usually go back and forth between Mistlock Sanctuary and whatever else I am doing (crafting/bank/TP) and I play the game in window mode just so I can browse the forum for an interesting topic because the loading screen makes me figuratively want to throw up at this point x333

@keenedge.9675 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:You don't really get it ... it's not the game. I have an SSD ... my load times are fine. It CAN'T be a game problem if I'm good and you aren't.

That said, Network connection plays a part in load times.

true ... even more reason to think that the problem is player-side. This game actually gives me really good connection and load times.

Archived