Please stop with the jump puzzles. I genuinely do not enjoy any of them.

This is rather silly, as people have endlessly debated what is hard content and how player skill factors into that and how does "hard content" translate into actual player skill vs being carried or buying your way to victory through said "hard content." Jumping puzzles are the ONLY content in the game where it is 100% individual skill and is truly a measure of actual player skill. This is especially true in jumping puzzles where you cannot get a mesmer port or teleport to a friend which results in a carry.

I think it would be silly to remove the ONE thing in the entire game that truly relies on individual gaming skills. Personally I think they should add more of them and make them more difficult and add exclusive rewards, as it is the only true test of being a skilled gamer that GW2 has to offer. The rest is honestly debatable.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Imperadordf.2687 said:

@Dashingsteel.3410 said:Jumping puzzles are not optional if the are REQUIRED for any collection.

And is any collection required in order to play the game? Raids must not be optional as they're required to complete a collection or two. Before PvP/WvW reward tracks, dungeons were not optional either. Legendary collections require fractals so I guess all players are required to play fractals.

The core of the game doesn't require these things because they're simply rewards. There's a big difference between rewards and content otherwise Anet can just release a massive collection instead of a living world episode and consider that content to last the next 2-3 months.

There's content for everyone in this game. If someone doesn't like JP's, such as the OP, they can simply not do them.

What if someone likes a skin that requires a jp but he/she doesn't like JPS? Your solution doesn't work. The reason your solution doesn't work is because JPs are not optional. I am simply saying don't make jps requirements. Let's be honest here. Skins are pretty much the whole thing in gw2 and by requiring jps to get them Anet made platforming a whole lot more important than they ever were in the original game.

I too, want a Ferrari but I don't like to work harder, could the Ferrari CEO just make it so that I could just buy one by working only 2 hours a day?

This is not about working harder. This is about platforming becoming more and more prevalent in the game.

"Working harder" was just an analogy. By the logic you're using on the other comments;"I am REQUIRED to do a meta event to get this, but I don't want to. Plz remove it k thx""I am REQUIRED to kill some mobs to get this, but I don't want to. Plz remove it k thx""I am REQUIRED to play the game to get this, but I don't want to. Plz remove it k thx"

I am saying that the importance of platforming has increased since launch. This is a trend I do not care for. For example, I wouldn't want to play the first 3 dragon age games and then have the fourth turned into an assassins creed gameplay style. While not as dramatic, gw2 has increased the importance of platforming.

@Dashingsteel.3410 said:

@Dashingsteel.3410 said:Jumping puzzles are not optional if the are REQUIRED for any collection.

And is any collection required in order to play the game? Raids must not be optional as they're required to complete a collection or two. Before PvP/WvW reward tracks, dungeons were not optional either. Legendary collections require fractals so I guess all players are required to play fractals.

The core of the game doesn't require these things because they're simply rewards. There's a big difference between rewards and content otherwise Anet can just release a massive collection instead of a living world episode and consider that content to last the next 2-3 months.

There's content for everyone in this game. If someone doesn't like JP's, such as the OP, they can simply not do them.

What if someone likes a skin that requires a jp but he/she doesn't like JPS? Your solution doesn't work. The reason your solution doesn't work is because JPs are not optional. I am simply saying don't make jps requirements. Let's be honest here. Skins are pretty much the whole thing in gw2 and by requiring jps to get them Anet made platforming a whole lot more important than they ever were in the original game.

I too, want a Ferrari but I don't like to work harder, could the Ferrari CEO just make it so that I could just buy one by working only 2 hours a day?

This is not about working harder. This is about platforming becoming more and more prevalent in the game.

"Working harder" was just an analogy. By the logic you're using on the other comments;"I am REQUIRED to do a meta event to get this, but I don't want to. Plz remove it k thx""I am REQUIRED to kill some mobs to get this, but I don't want to. Plz remove it k thx""I am REQUIRED to play the game to get this, but I don't want to. Plz remove it k thx"

I am saying that the importance of platforming has increased since launch. This is a trend I do not care for. For example, I wouldn't want to play the first 3 dragon age games and then have the fourth turned into an assassins creed gameplay style. While not as dramatic, gw2 has increased the importance of platforming.

GW2 was released as a game with platforming. I haven't seen that increase any more than what we had at launch.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

GW2 was released as a game with platforming. I haven't seen that increase any more than what we had at launch.

How many skins required jps at launch?

@Dashingsteel.3410 said:

How many collections did we have at launch?

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

I am not sure how many collections we had to be honest, but I do know that at launch jps weren't required to acquire skins. Platforming has absolutely increased since launch. We have many more jumping puzzles in the game than we had at launch. More jps more platforming.

@Dashingsteel.3410 said:

Of course they are optional.. you are not forced to do them because the collections have zero bearing on your ability to complete story, quests or anything - they are simply content fillers with a few rewards pushed in for those that like such things and put some effort in... but that does not make them REQUIRED it makes them OPTIONAL.

I don't care if I am forced to do the collections or not. The fact is if I want to do the collections I am REQUIRED to do jumping puzzles. There is no option to skip the jumping puzzles if I want to complete the collection. That is in no way OPTIONAL.

If the collection itself is optional then so too is anything that gates it.

This easily proven. Don't do the collection. Does the game end? Are you placed at an objective mechanical disadvantage? No. And so purely optional.

@Dashingsteel.3410 said:

I am not sure how many collections we had to be honest, but I do know that at launch jps weren't required to acquire skins. Platforming has absolutely increased since launch. We have many more jumping puzzles in the game than we had at launch. More jps more platforming.

There were zero collections as they were added in late 2014. They were added with the collection items to complete them spanning a large range of content. Legendary collections, which we got in late 2015, being a good example.

It is not wrong for Anet to reward players uniquely for specific types of content. Dungeons have specific rewards unique to it although PvP/WvW reward tracks took away a lot of that uniqueness. Raids have unique rewards that you cannot get elsewhere. Fractals have unique rewards. Living world maps have rewards unique to their own maps that you cannot get elsewhere. Why cannot jumping puzzles have rewards tied to them? Simply because you do not like them?

@Dashingsteel.3410 said:

Can answer that we had zero collections at launch.

@Ashen.2907 said:

Of course they are optional.. you are not forced to do them because the collections have zero bearing on your ability to complete story, quests or anything - they are simply content fillers with a few rewards pushed in for those that like such things and put some effort in... but that does not make them REQUIRED it makes them OPTIONAL.

I don't care if I am forced to do the collections or not. The fact is if I want to do the collections I am REQUIRED to do jumping puzzles. There is no option to skip the jumping puzzles if I want to complete the collection. That is in no way OPTIONAL.

I agree the collection is optional. I do not agree the jumping puzzle is optional as it is a REQUIREMENT for the collection.

Heck, pvp is optional but if I had to do a damn jumping puzzle before I could play it. It would never happen.

I despise Jumping puzzles but it's silly to ask for them to be removed from the game or in future expansions. I do however want ANet to be really careful that jumping puzzles don't start creeping into other content like Living World Stories. I've posted before on why I don't think making the solo story more difficult is a good thing for progressing the main story arc. Leave the difficulty curve to the open world mobs, boss fights and whatever passes for dungeon experiences.

@Dashingsteel.3410 said:

I agree the collection is optional. I do not agree the jumping puzzle is optional as it is a REQUIREMENT for the collection.

Heck, pvp is optional
but if I had to do a kitten jumping puzzle before I could play it. It would never happen.

By your logic, how is pvp optional if it's required to get the legendary backpack tied to it or for the unique skins from completing its reward tracks? It seems you're not using this designation consistently.

edit: fixed typo

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Dashingsteel.3410 said:I'm all for jumping puzzles being optional content. Unfortunately, they are NOT optional content. HoT really increased the importance of jumping puzzles in this game by requiring them in collections for much sought after items.

I am not for getting rid of Jumping puzzles. I am for getting rid of jumping puzzle requirements.

And having those items is mandatory? You cannot beat the story content or do events without them?

I don't care if the items are mandatory or not. I don't want platformer creep in this game. I want jps to return to the optional content they were when the game first launched.

And they still are optional. There are various rewards behind them but those rewards themselves are optional as well. Me unlocking a particular skin will have no bearing on me completing other content in the game.

It's no use arguing with this guy. Obviously completing things like collections doesn't count as meaningful content to him. We ask for a dial back to how launch was, he claims a huge chunk of content is optional. This game is more than just doing the story, as a matter of fact, the most popular portion of endgame is skin collecting, but that doesn't matter. I'm done trying to present another point of view while someone else solidifies what we already know, you should join me.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

Heck, pvp is optional
but if I had to do a kitten jumping puzzle before I could play it. It would never happen.

By your logic, how is pvp optional if it's required to get the legendary backpack tied to it or for the unique skins from completing its reward tracks? It seems you're not using this designation consistently.

I stand corrected. Pvp is not optional...… Let's remember though that skins were connected to pvp from day 1 of this game...…. Skins were not connected to jumping puzzles from day 1 on this game..... unfortunately with the advent of Super Adventure Box... the platforming creep began.

@Klowdy.3126 said:

@Dashingsteel.3410 said:I'm all for jumping puzzles being optional content. Unfortunately, they are NOT optional content. HoT really increased the importance of jumping puzzles in this game by requiring them in collections for much sought after items.

I am not for getting rid of Jumping puzzles. I am for getting rid of jumping puzzle requirements.

And having those items is mandatory? You cannot beat the story content or do events without them?

I don't care if the items are mandatory or not. I don't want platformer creep in this game. I want jps to return to the optional content they were when the game first launched.

And they still are optional. There are various rewards behind them but those rewards themselves are optional as well. Me unlocking a particular skin will have no bearing on me completing other content in the game.

It's no use arguing with this guy. Obviously completing things like collections doesn't count as meaningful content to him. We ask for a dial back to how launch was, he claims a huge chunk of content is optional. This game is more than just doing the story, as a matter of fact, the most popular portion of endgame is skin collecting, but that doesn't matter. I'm done trying to present another point of view while someone else solidifies what we already know, you should join me.

So if Anet, for the next year just added collections instead of episodes, you’d consider us to not have a content drought during that time? There’s a difference between content and rewards. Content are the things that you do while rewards are the things you get for doing them.

@Dashingsteel.3410 said:

Heck, pvp is optional

I stand corrected. Pvp is not optional...… Let's remember though that skins were connected to pvp from day 1 of this game...…. Skins were not connected to jumping puzzles from day 1 on this game..... unfortunately with the advent of Super Adventure Box... the platforming creep began.

The skins did not even exist in PvP until they were added later. So no, they were not there at Day 1.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

So if Anet, for the next year just added collections instead of episodes, you’d consider us to not have a content drought during that time? There’s a difference between content and rewards. Content are the things that you do while rewards are the things you get for doing them.

Heck, pvp is optional

The skins did not even exist in PvP until they were added later. So no, they were not there at Day 1.

Then why does Dulfy have a pvp armor gallery dated august 9 2012 that shows pvp lockers and all the skins you can earn?

@Dashingsteel.3410 said:

Heck, pvp is optional

Actually, PvP skins were exclusive to PvP at day one... You had to unlock skins for PvP independently from PvE.SAB was, and still is some of the most popular, successful and fun content in the game. Jumping puzzles were ALWAYS a big part of the game. From people doing Obsidian Sanctum and the Borderland JPs for extra badges back at the game's start to achievement hunting, to playing "Not so Secret" a year before even collections were released for the shoulder skin. Jumping puzzles have always been an integral part of this game, and one of it's more unique aspects to be celebrated.

I understand some people have a hard time doing them, not everyone is as coordinated, some people are elderly even, there's some JPs (Not so secret chief among them) that can be extremely frustrating, but they always were and should remain what they are, a unique, very well delivered feature that is integral to the game's identity.And honestly, just because you can't enjoy them doesn't mean you have a right to request their removal or reduction. Worse even, you're actually late to the party since PoF had pretty much no jumping puzzles to speak of and there's been no jumping puzzles on the Season 4 episodes.

And if anything the game is lacking. So really, why is this a topic, since there's been over half a year since there was a new Jumping Puzzle?My guess is OP failed at one JP or another, and instead of trying again and facing his ineptitude, he projected that into a perceived flaw, and decided to vent it in the forums.

Seriously some of my best memories in this game were of running JPs or SAB with my guild mates, trying to remove that experience from others because you can't enjoy it is incredibly selfish.

@ReaverKane.7598 said:

Heck, pvp is optional

Actually, PvP skins were exclusive to PvP at day one... You had to unlock skins for PvP independently from PvE.SAB was, and still is some of the most popular, successful and fun content in the game. Jumping puzzles were ALWAYS a big part of the game. From people doing Obsidian Sanctum and the Borderland JPs for extra badges back at the game's start to achievement hunting, to playing "Not so Secret" a year before even collections were released for the shoulder skin. Jumping puzzles have always been an integral part of this game, and one of it's more unique aspects to be celebrated.

I understand some people have a hard time doing them, not everyone is as coordinated, some people are elderly even, there's some JPs (Not so secret chief among them) that can be extremely frustrating, but they always were and should remain what they are, a unique, very well delivered feature that is integral to the game's identity.And honestly, just because you can't enjoy them doesn't mean you have a right to request their removal or reduction. Worse even, you're actually late to the party since PoF had pretty much
no jumping puzzles to speak of
and there's been no jumping puzzles on the Season 4 episodes.

And if anything the game is lacking. So really, why is this a topic, since there's been over half a year since there was a new Jumping Puzzle?My guess is OP failed at one JP or another, and instead of trying again and facing his ineptitude, he projected that into a perceived flaw, and decided to vent it in the forums.

Seriously some of my best memories in this game were of running JPs or SAB with my guild mates, trying to remove that experience from others because you can't enjoy it is incredibly selfish.

I am not asking for jumping puzzles to go away. I am asking that they be treated as they were at launch of the game. No skins were gated behind jumping puzzles.

I am fine with them being a daily as this is consistent with the start of the game. I also am fine with the rewards jumping puzzles have always given. I don't want jumping puzzles gaining in importance in this game. This game is all about fashion and gating skins behind jps makes platforming much more important in the game.

@Dashingsteel.3410 said:

Heck, pvp is optional

I understand some people have a hard time doing them, not everyone is as coordinated, some people are elderly even, there's some JPs (Not so secret chief among them) that can be extremely frustrating, but they always were and should remain what they are, a unique, very well delivered feature that is integral to the game's identity.And honestly, just because you can't enjoy them doesn't mean you have a right to request their removal or reduction. Worse even, you're actually late to the party since PoF had pretty much

I am not asking for jumping puzzles to go away. I am asking that they be treated as they were at launch of the game. No skins were gated behind jumping puzzles.

I am fine with them being a daily as this is consistent with the start of the game. I also am fine with the rewards jumping puzzles have always given. I don't want jumping puzzles gaining in importance in this game. This game is all about fashion and gating skins behind jps makes platforming much more important in the game.

So basically: I dont want people to be rewarded for content they find fun but i do not.

@Dante.1763 said:

Heck, pvp is optional

So basically: I dont want people to be rewarded for content they find fun but i do not.

No, basically I don't want to play a game that changes the requirements from optional platforming to required platforming in midstream.

@Dashingsteel.3410 said:

Heck, pvp is optional

No, basically I don't want to play a game that changes the requirements from optional platforming to required platforming in midstream.

Same thing. People didnt want raids, we now have raids which have legendary gear locked behind them. Does it suck? absolutely, because i want it. People didnt want mounts, we now have mounts.

and as the person above said, jumping puzzles have always been part of the game, theyve been putting items behind them for awhile now see the not so secret puzzle, and theyve for sure been putting achievements behind them too. On top of that SAB is by far and away some of the most fun content they have added in this game, and i hope they add more like it at some point, with yes, skins as a reward. Im sorry you dont like it, but that doesnt mean that it shouldnt be a part of the game, and it doesnt mean that players shouldnt get rewarded with decent things like skins for doing them.

I forgot that the rank chests used to have skins and there was the MF.

Still, the only reason that you don’t want JP’s to have rewards is because you want the rewards but don’t like the JP’s. That’s not a good enough reason for them to never have rewards.

@Dante.1763 said:

Heck, pvp is optional

Same thing. People didnt want raids, we now have raids which have legendary gear locked behind them. Does it suck? absolutely, because i want it. People didnt want mounts, we now have mounts.

and as the person above said, jumping puzzles have always been part of the game, theyve been putting items behind them for awhile now see the not so secret puzzle, and theyve for sure been putting achievements behind them too. On top of that SAB is by far and away some of the most fun content they have added in this game, and i hope they add more like it at some point, with yes, skins as a reward. Im sorry you dont like it, but that doesnt mean that it shouldnt be a part of the game, and it doesnt mean that players shouldnt get rewarded with decent things like skins for doing them.

Perhaps it is just my naivety with mmorpgs. Most of the rpgs I play steer clear of any kind of intense platforming(Dragon age, Skyrim, Dragons Dogma, Kingdoms of Amalur, etc.) This is the first mmorpg I had ever played. What I love about rpgs is acquiring stuff and customization. When I first played this game I never needed to do a jumping puzzle to acquire anything. Perhaps I am just naïve about mmorpgs. Are mmorpgs more prone to platforming than regular rpgs?

Some vistas, such as one in Diessa, were at the end of jumping puzzles. Some vistas, players would even consider to be a mini jumping puzzle. Vistas were required for map completion which were required to make legendaries. So the creation of legendary weapons has required jumping puzzles since launch.

Archived