Please stop with the jump puzzles. I genuinely do not enjoy any of them.

@Menadena.7482 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:As far as I can remember, all jumping puzzles are optional in the game. If you don’t like them, you can simply skip them.

That was my attitude as well, I only noticed them when gliding around, but now they are in almost every round of dailies. If you are only doing PVE ones then the other 3 things better be something you can do in a short amount of time.

Except Jumping Puzzle dailies are some of the shortest dailies that require the least effort. Whether it's the daily JP or Minidungeon, there are usually an army of friendly mesmers there to help you get through the pain, suffering, and hardship of pressing 'F' on a portal.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@"Selminus.1490" said:Just left Tangled Depths. This is genuinely the first time in 20 years an MMO has turned me off with zone design. Getting HP for alts is an absolute nightmare in these places. Really, really not feeling these layouts.

There's challenge and and innovation and then there's over engineering and these maps are without a doubt the latter.

Subjective. I think td and the hot maps in general are some of the best iv seen in an mmo.

I despise Tangled Depths, but i love the rest of the zones. But that map
lives
up to its name. Its a tangled multi layer map and as frustrating as it is, its not that hard to navigate..mostly. The in game map if it worked better, especially the mini map, would ease a lot of the problems ive had with that zone in particular, same with Draconis Mons.

The map does work fairly well. It’s just that most people are used to flat maps so don’t know how to use it beyond that.

It works..."okay" is how id describe. The mini map is god awful, and its impossible to enlarge it to how big id want it to be so i could zoom in on things, on top of that, it snaps back to you the moment you start moving which is just irritating when finding the right path. The main map is no better either, the different "layers" are still visible on the map and make it confusing to read.

Unfortunately there really isn’t any better way to represent a 3D map in 2D.

Sure there is. They could have an option on the map that completely hides the above layers so they arent visible at all.

They are hidden to an extent. Completely removing them would make things worse.

Didnt say remove them, i said an option to make them invisible, much like you can with hiding the navigation points(banks and such) on those maps at least for me, it would be helpful because it would only show the layer you would be on, and hide everything above or below you.

Same thing; it’s removed from sight. Doing exactly what you want would remove context and make matters worse. The OP would have even more reasons to complain about in their post.

Mock up an example of what you’d like to see and then you’d see what I mean.
  • Remove or make invisible all layers except the one the character is on.
  • Place icons showing places on that layer where one can descend or ascend (see such indicators in Divinity's Reach).

The existing interface has the option to flip between layers. So, with other layers completely hidden, a player wanting to use the map would be able to:

• Select an objective to get to.
  • Back-trace the path from that objective to a stair/ramp/jumping mushroom/etc.
  • Switch to the higher/lower layer and continue analysis of the route to take.
  • Repeat steps until reaching where the character is.
  • Reverse the process to get where they want to go.

The current map shows what look like routes that don't actually go where they appear to go. The status quo is at best confusing. At its worst, it's downright obstructionist.

@IndigoSundown.5419 said:

@"Selminus.1490" said:Just left Tangled Depths. This is genuinely the first time in 20 years an MMO has turned me off with zone design. Getting HP for alts is an absolute nightmare in these places. Really, really not feeling these layouts.

There's challenge and and innovation and then there's over engineering and these maps are without a doubt the latter.

Subjective. I think td and the hot maps in general are some of the best iv seen in an mmo.

lives
up to its name. Its a tangled multi layer map and as frustrating as it is, its not that hard to navigate..mostly. The in game map if it worked better, especially the mini map, would ease a lot of the problems ive had with that zone in particular, same with Draconis Mons.

The map does work fairly well. It’s just that most people are used to flat maps so don’t know how to use it beyond that.

It works..."okay" is how id describe. The mini map is god awful, and its impossible to enlarge it to how big id want it to be so i could zoom in on things, on top of that, it snaps back to you the moment you start moving which is just irritating when finding the right path. The main map is no better either, the different "layers" are still visible on the map and make it confusing to read.

Sure there is. They could have an option on the map that completely hides the above layers so they arent visible at all.

They are hidden to an extent. Completely removing them would make things worse.

Didnt say remove them, i said an option to make them invisible, much like you can with hiding the navigation points(banks and such) on those maps at least for me, it would be helpful because it would only show the layer you would be on, and hide everything above or below you.

Same thing; it’s removed from sight. Doing exactly what you want would remove context and make matters worse. The OP would have even more reasons to complain about in their post.

Mock up an example of what you’d like to see and then you’d see what I mean.
  • Remove or make invisible all layers except the one the character is on.
  • Place icons showing places on that layer where one can descend or ascend (see such indicators in Divinity's Reach).

The existing interface has the option to flip between layers. So, with other layers completely hidden, a player wanting to use the map would be able to:
  • Select an objective to get to.
  • Back-trace the path from that objective to a stair/ramp/jumping mushroom/etc.
  • Switch to the higher/lower layer and continue analysis of the route to take.
  • Repeat steps until reaching where the character is.
  • Reverse the process to get where they want to go.

The current map shows what look like routes that don't actually go where they appear to go. The status quo is at best confusing. At its worst, it's downright obstructionist.

Do you have an example? I’ve been able to read the map and navigate without issues.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

lives

I guess you never played Descent (the original one) on PC back in the day? They had 3D maps, and a 3D view of them in your 2D screen. And yes, you could rotate the map to look at it from different angles. An approach like that could work for TD.

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

lives

I guess you never played Descent (the original one) on PC back in the day? They had 3D maps, and a 3D view of them in your 2D screen. And yes, you could rotate the map to look at it from different angles. An approach like that could work for TD.

I’ve played it except I said that they can’t represent a 3D map (Tangled Depths itself) in 2D (the actual map). BotW had a decent 3D mini map when playing in Hyrule Castle too.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:I guess you never played Descent (the original one) on PC back in the day? They had 3D maps, and a 3D view of them in your 2D screen. And yes, you could rotate the map to look at it from different angles. An approach like that could work for TD.

I’ve played it except I said that they can’t represent a 3D map (Tangled Depths itself) in 2D (the actual map). BotW had a decent 3D mini map when playing in Hyrule Castle too.

OK, a question of interpretation, then. Fair enough.

Jumping puzzles are a great measure of skill improvement. I still remember when I couldn't do the Halloween Clocktower and Wintersday jps - back then I would try and try and eventually gave up. Then the first time completing each one was such a great feeling.

@Selminus.1490 said:Just left Tangled Depths. This is genuinely the first time in 20 years an MMO has turned me off with zone design. Getting HP for alts is an absolute nightmare in these places. Really, really not feeling these layouts.

TD is the best map i could find in this boring game.

From memory I completed all of the original GW2 jump puzzles (before the expansions came out)... some made me laugh, some made me cry & then there were those I thoroughly enjoyed... but I wouldn't stop making them (as there are other ways of doing them for the dailys such as a friends mesmer portal or camping a character at the end of the JP for daily completion.... just a helpful thought<<)

• 2 weeks later...

What I love about rpgs is acquiring stuff and customization.This game is all about fashion and gating skins behind jps makes platforming much more important in the game.No, This game (Guild Wars) is NOT ABOUT fashion. :facepalm+facedesk:You chose (knowingly made a choice) to make it Fashion related. You set that restriction on yourself.If you want to play dress up all day long and collect fashions with good customization, you are playing the wrong game. You should be in SecondLife for that.

Yes, you should and can voice out your dislike for certain mechanics of the game.And Yes, ANet too can ignore your request because,1) You Do Not represent all and every single GW2 players out there. No one made you El Presidente.2) ANet can ignore illogical and childish requests.

• It is like telling an painter to stop using certain colors because you dislike that color. Or tell a musician to stop using piano because you hate the sound of piano. That is Insulting to the artist. If you don't appreciate his/her work, move on, find other artists that suit your requirements or better yet, make your own art piece.

Your logic to Remove/ Nerf/ Reduce puzzles is a huge insult to the Designers of JP and players who enjoy them. So no, request denied.

P.S. I am not a fan of JP, but I can appreciate the time and effort of the designers who made them.Also, there are many players who enjoy puzzles. ANet should make more puzzles for players who enjoy them. Give them exclusive puzzle-only skins/ rewards for completing and solving them.

Archived