New Race Suggestion

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

@"Trise.2865" said:The Sylvari have the stereotypical connections to nature and fey magic (and faux British accents)

And ghastly pronunciation of perfectly good Welsh words. The worst is the word "Caer" that appears in the names of semi-fortified Sylvari spots all over Caledon and Brisban does, indeed, mean "fort".

It is correctly pronounced as if it is spelled "Kyre". The in-game pronunciation "Kair" makes my teeth itch, and I'm not even Welsh!

Glad to see I'm not the only one, their mangled "Foulane" makes me grimace whenever I hear it.

@"Pifil.5193" said:Glad to see I'm not the only one, their mangled "Foulane" makes me grimace whenever I hear it.

I still can't get over GEORmag. I just can't. I hope the entire cracked-tooth thing goes utterly ignored, because while I hate Braham, I hate that pronunciation more.

I've been doing a lot of thinking as to what races they would realistically add. First of all, I think we can rule out the races you help as part of your order storyline. So, no Ogres, Skritt, Hylek, Quaggan, or Grawl. Second, no "dead" races (Forgotten, Seers, Dwarves, Mursaat, Margonites.) since it would take quite a bit of work to explain why they came back and decided to join the party. Third, no "enemy" races (Jotun, Centaurs, Krait, Harpies, Dredge). There's just too many instances of you fighting them for it to not be awkward without something really ham-handed ("Oh, but these Dredge are from Cantha, they're friendly and hate shiverpeaks dredge just as much as everyone else.").

So what's left?Kodan: An advanced, and decently defined culture. Reasonably humanoid form. Friendly interactions with other races. I could see them as being a playable race if we ever had a Norther/Far Shiverpeaks expansion. In their current state there's not a lot of variation in models available, and they're a little bulky and unwieldy, so it would take some work to get them to a 100% playable state.Largos: We know very little about them, but that can be a good thing here, as they're kind of a blank slate. We know they deal heavily in assassination, and always pay back debts, but little else. Presumably, they have other aspects to their culture. A civilization of 100% assiasins would never work, so there must be Largos craftsmen, laborers, and other civilians. The biggest strike against them is that their distinguishing feature is a gem shop backpack. I suppose you could handwave every other backpack as just being a mesmer illusion, but it would definitely be a handwave.Tengu: The feathered elephant in the room. They already have areas blocked off for a city and starting zone. There's even precedent for intrepid Tengu venturing out, exploring the world and even joining the pact. True, their default model is based on a charr and looks a bit awkward, but HoT gave us a new, more humanoid tengu model, and there's plenty of GW1 material to plunder for inspiration. The biggest argument against Tengu joining the playable races is that if they were ever intended to be playable they surely would have put them in years ago.

@"Overlord RainyDay.2084" said:I've been doing a lot of thinking as to what races they would realistically add. First of all, I think we can rule out the races you help as part of your order storyline. So, no Ogres, Skritt, Hylek, Quaggan, or Grawl. Second, no "dead" races (Forgotten, Seers, Dwarves, Mursaat, Margonites.) since it would take quite a bit of work to explain why they came back and decided to join the party. Third, no "enemy" races (Jotun, Centaurs, Krait, Harpies, Dredge). There's just too many instances of you fighting them for it to not be awkward without something really ham-handed ("Oh, but these Dredge are from Cantha, they're friendly and hate shiverpeaks dredge just as much as everyone else.").

It's not like there isn't enemies of the currently playable races. Separatists, flame legion, svanir, nightmare court, inquest.And there is already some friendly factions of "enemy" races.

What about:"Not too similar to what we have" = Kodan out for Norn lookalikes. Largos only difference from humans are their clothes and fins, so out too."Not too generic, single-thematic or cliché" = Largos would need a lot of work to escape from this one."Not crashing with customization elements Anet need to monetize in the gemstore" = Largos totally bye bye.

Here goes your elf archetype:

Tree-hugging: CheckA little weird behavior: CheckPointy ears: Check

Sylvari address all of your elf-loving needs.

@Oogabooga.3812 said:With the latest update to underwater skills and introduction of swimming infusions, I would hope the new playable race would be Largos, cuz Sayeh is sexy.

So you like chicks with gas masks on...? Uhmkay, I guess.

@Overlord RainyDay.2084 said:Tengu: The feathered elephant in the room. They already have areas blocked off for a city and starting zone. There's even precedent for intrepid Tengu venturing out, exploring the world and even joining the pact. True, their default model is based on a charr and looks a bit awkward, but HoT gave us a new, more humanoid tengu model, and there's plenty of GW1 material to plunder for inspiration. The biggest argument against Tengu joining the playable races is that if they were ever intended to be playable they surely would have put them in years ago.

We know why the tengu aren't playable. It's because of time restraints during development and it would cause issues if they added them later (either a new story or a retcon plus they'd be setting a presidence.Tengu are the most likely candidate for a new race because if they're gonna add a new race they will likely introduce a system to implement future new races more easily (because they're setting a presidence) so they will take a race that's the least amount of work and since the tengu already has some small parts finished.

@"Ardid.7203" said:What about:"Not too similar to what we have" = Kodan out for Norn lookalikes. Largos only difference from humans are their clothes and fins, so out too."Not too generic, single-thematic or cliché" = Largos would need a lot of work to escape from this one."Not crashing with customization elements Anet need to monetize in the gemstore" = Largos totally bye bye.

"No 'enemy' races" = Bye, Largos.A race of pointless athathinz that have events based on stopping them from murdering innocents, and the only "good" one we see is roped into the story purely by owing a personal debt to Trehearne.Hard pass.

@derd.6413 said:

@AzureShiron.7658 said:Big vote from me for tengu. More so because i want to go back to cantha as a tengu and slaughter all those xenophobic jerks who kicked them out of their homes, and kill the emperor if possible. 1.

Tengu would be my dream class I would main to the end of the earth!

The tengu class?

ah my bad thought we where talking about races not classes :P

@derd.6413 said:

@"Aiponne.7463" said:If there is need for a new race, a catgirl race like the miqo'te from FFXIV would be perfect :DD

We already have catgirls. They're called charr.

Hmm. Miqo'te are cute catgirls (or boys, I guess(1)), and Charr are not. (I'd like to see you tell Rox (or Almorra) that she's "cute", although I somehow doubt you'd be able to walk away with your intestines on the inside.)

(1) Yes, I know very well that you can create and play a male Miqo'te. I don't understand why you'd want to do that, but you can.

@"Tom Hsiao.9705" said:I think it would be very nice if GW2 have elf available for players to select..because right now the only attractive looking race is human... Norm male looks like they're special (if I was norm female I wouldn't even wanna have anything to do with norm male) the norm female looks wayyyy better than male and I'm not sure why the male looks like undeveloped barbarian.... :s

Tree people very ugly IMO...and I'm not interested in mutated dwarf looking asura thing either... cat are alright but they're not very cute or pretty like husky ... Ya please make elf race

Thank you <3

Search function is your friend, my dude, this topic came up a little while back. General community feedback was "no elves" because they are too "generic MMO material" - which is true, they are basic AF.

Create a poll for/against elf implementation and you can have a better idea if you think otherwise.As for the dev side - there are no elves in GW2 lore which makes it even harder to introduce to an already busy ecosystem.

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

@"Aiponne.7463" said:If there is need for a new race, a catgirl race like the miqo'te from FFXIV would be perfect :DD

We already have catgirls. They're called charr.

Hmm. Miqo'te are
cute
catgirls (or boys, I guess(1)), and Charr are not. (I'd like to see you tell Rox (or Almorra) that she's "cute", although I somehow doubt you'd be able to walk away with your intestines on the
inside
.)

(1) Yes, I know very well that you can create and play a male Miqo'te. I don't understand why you'd
want
to do that, but you can.

A. That was a joke, B. Are you seriously defending putting anime catgirls into gw2? And C. Some girls like cute boys.

Archived