New Player Lost And Confused After Boost

Hi guys,

sorry to trouble everyone, basically i play black desert, played bless which was a big disappointment, looking for a new game and saw lazypeon video on guild wars 2 and wanted to give it a go. Started making characters and all was well and good. However because i really wanted the mounts i brought the expansions and got the level boost. Now it took me to some silver place, im stick in and confused not even knowing how to get back to down. Gave me a axe and shield when i want to use Greatswords.

So now i am on here looking through the forums and only now do i see people saying not to boost your first character as you find yourself in my situation.

I am a fan of blades, greatswords, longbows, polearms and wanted to use them, but i would also like to get back on track of my story. But am not sure what i have to do to do that or even how to leave the area. So i am looking for anyone that can help me out with some info or also push me into a guild that doesnt mind helping new players.

I watch about 6 hours of youtube videos about guildwars two which boiled down first character warrior ranger or necro at the start so went with warrior.

Also if anyone can tell me how to chase the mounts now that im level 80 with path of fire that be great too.

Thank you

Dragon

In hero panel (h usualy) on left side select story tab (i guess personal story? Looks like star with only 4 pointy ends i think). Here select path of fire story first chapter and play until you get mount, then go back to this tab and start story from begining.To travel either use map (m) and closest waypoint to yor target, asura gate between big cities or you have to walk

Have you consumed the boost yet, or is it still in the shared inventory slot, meaning that you're still in the trial phase? If the latter, my advice would be to double-click the boost and select "undo boost" from the dialog. This should teleport you to your home city and get you back to your "normal" level, allowing you to progress your character more naturally while learning about the game mechanics at a more reasonable pace than being thrown into the deep end. You can always use the boost later, either on the same or a different character.

If you have consumed the boost, my advice would still be to open the world map (keybind m) and use a waypoint to your home city or level 1-15 starter zone and play around from there until you've gotten the hang of the core game mechanics. If you're dead set on getting your mount(s) first, at the expense of a possibly rather tough learning curve, open your hero panel (keybind h), select your personal story tab and activate the first chapter of the Path of Fire story. (You'll still need to get to your home city, find and use the asura gate from that city to Lion's Arch to get to the place where the story starts. Alternatively, the PvP Lobby and WvW home borderland citadel both have an asura gate to Lion's Arch.)

Playing through the first chapter will unlock mounts for your account. Following the Path of Fire story is a good way to visit all the maps needed to acquire the different mounts (the griffon can only be acquired after finishing the PoF story, IIRC). Look up how best to distribute your mastery points for your mount abilities if quickly acquiring all mounts is your goal. Also keep in mind that a) the starter gear from the level 80 boost is generally not very good and b) getting the mounts costs some gold.

Ok, lots of things to cover here but I'll try to be brief (not my strong suit but I'll try).

Firstly you may not have actually used the Level 80 Boost yet. When you first 'use' it your character is boosted and taken to The Silverwastes but it's just a trial - if you log out or leave the map you're reverted to your original level and location. You have to use the boost again and click through a few confirmation windows before it's permanent. But even if you have used it permanently it's ok, it just means you need to do things a bit differently.

If you have used it permanently there are 2 ways to get back to your original location:1) You will have 1 waypoint in each starter zone unlocked (more if you've explored it at all), these are fast travel points which you can teleport to from anywhere in the world for a small fee.

• If you're an Asura (rat) or a Sylvari (plant) you started in Tarnished Coast, to the left of the area name on the map for asura and to the right for sylvari.
  • If you're a human you started in Kryta, above and right of the name.
  • If you're a norn (tall human) it's the Shiverpeak Mountains, right of the name.
  • And if you're a charr (cat) is Ascalon, below and left of the name.

2) Click on the PvP menu and select Enter PvP Lobby (don't worry, no one can attack you in the lobby). When you've loaded into the Heart of the Mists look for a pink swirl icon on the map, it's on the right side. That's an asura gate which will teleport you (for free) to Lion's Arch, the game's main city. When you're there look for a group of 6 asura gates - those lead to the 5 racial cities (look for the guards standing next to it to see which race it's for). (The 6th one leads to Southsun Cove, which is a small level 80 map.)

Weapons - The boost just gives you some example weapons to try out. You can see all the weapons your character can use by opening the Hero Panel and going to the Build tab. You don't need to do anything special to unlock them - weapon slots are unlocked as you level up and you can equip any useable weapon at any time. So (assuming you're playing a profession which can use greatswords) all you need to do is find or buy one and equip it. It's the same for all the other equipment the boost gives you - it's just something so you're not running around at level 80 with level 1 equipment. It can all be swapped out if you find something better.

Getting back to your story - The good news is even if you're level 80 you haven't actually missed anything. You can still play through your story from where you left off and can still play in lower level zones. The game uses a system called down-scaling where you are automatically matched to the level of the area you're in, but you still have all your unlocked skills and traits available. It also means you get XP as if you were fighting things at your level and items which drop will be for your level too. (The exception is the story rewards, those stay at the level of the story step unfortunately.)

If you want to carry on your story follow one of the instructions above to get back to your starting point, then check you've not been switched to an expansion story: Open the Hero panel, select the Story Journal, and find the section titled 'My Story'. It will either have a green star next to it (if it's the active story) or a button which says 'Continue This Story'. Click that button, then it's just a matter of finding the green star on the map and heading towards it.

(P.S. Don't apologise for needing to ask questions, that's exactly what this section of the forum is for!)

Hi guys, thank you very much for the quick replies, really different from the other games ive played, i know in black desert no one wants to tell you anything as the more you no the easier it is for them. I now know thanks to the map that i am in the silver wastes, and that i am indeed a human, i also did indeed use the 80 boost and consumed it, they was a guide video by area net i followed that, it just didnt tell you what to do after you used it, only how to use it cancel or go through and consume it to finialize the boost. I used it on the warrior as it was one of the easiest classes to start with.

The gear part doesnt suprise me and trying to find the things i want is part of the fun, i do have a weakness as id rather look cool and do no damage then look bad and do tons of damage. Hence i wanted to go for greatsword/polearms and longbows, cause now and then feel the urge to snipe. So like how warrior had that mix. I can teleport back to Kryta cause my first character went with humans ^^ althrough if there was an elf choice ill be done ^^. But good how the asura race has the long ears, so half the fetish is covered, but suprised that the word asura is used for a race of small type as its usually use for brutal type giving the meaning of the name.

With the package i got i did manage to get 4,000 gems included i also have a 2nd 80 boost as i brought both game packages, so i am going to be stupid and try to do a few things on the path of fire to get the mounts, i think that make the game a little more fun for me as i love mounts from other games. I am also watching videos on youtube that talk about how you need 3 points in the mastery to start getting the pets but not how to earn them so now trying to back track and find that out.

So also looking into how to get to starting parts of the path of fire story line.

There is nothing wrong of taking a peek in the Path of Fire expansion (Crystal Desert region) and get a mount unlocked.

However, if you ever feel confused, just know you can just teleport back to Kryta / Divinity's Reach / Queensdale and do the starter zones and start your personal story. This will lead you through the game in a slower pace allowing you to lean the game mechanics of your profession and try out the different weapons that give you different linked skills. And you can just keep your newly earned mount with you for quick traveling. :-)

In the end, most players want to complete their personal stories and all map zones anyways because this will give you additional achievement and world completion rewards.

There is a Masteries section of your Achievement tab, which will give some idea how to get Mastery points. Some low hanging fruit for Core Tyria include doing the personal story, and getting Mastery points in several of the core zones, eg Harathi hinterlands, bloodtide coast. ~~I thought you got a mastery point for doing each race personal story to level 30, but not sure. ~~The personal stories are different for each race, so I'd recommend picking different races for other characters. Race has almost no bearing on play, eg a charr elementalist is the same as an asuran elementalist. Edit: You get achievement points for the other races, but only a mastery point on the first play through, if I'm reading it right.

Getting into the Path of Fire maps can be done by clicking "Start this story" in the PoF tab, within the hero panel. You'll get a prompt on the top right of your screen to go to a location, and starting and following the story will put you in the first map. If you finish chapter 1 of PoF, you'll have the raptor mount. From there you can start exploring the map and finding Mastery Points (triangular looking suns) to 'level up' your raptor, because you can't unlock the next mount until you reach level 3 for the raptor. Playing through the story will also give you some Mastery Points.Note that the levels need different numbers of mastery points to unlock. Level 1 needs 1 point, level 2 needs 2 points and level 3 needs 3.

For the other things you mentioned, the closest thing gw2 has to an elf race would be the sylvari. Plant people, but they look pretty elf-like.

@DragonTactician.4571 said:Also if anyone can tell me how to chase the mounts now that im level 80 with path of fire that be great too.

Thank you

Dragon

I wouldn't recommend you to use level 80 boosters. The gear and weapons you get are awful. If you're only interested in having the mounts in order for you to use them in Tyria (vanilla zones), you can use your level 80 boosted character to unlock the basic raptor at the beginning of the Path of Fire story. Once you unlock the raptor, the Path of Fire zones are opened for you to explore.

Pay attention on the map for mastery points. You need these in order to upgrade your mounts. Keep in mind that some mastery points do require different mounts in order to acquire them. Since you're new, it's better if you only the upgraded raptor. Just unlock the basic raptor, acquire the amount of mastery points you need to upgrade the mount, then delete the character your unlocked the mount with and start all over. Trust me, it's better for you to learn the game at your own pace.

I would suggest that you get the Path of Fire raptor and perhaps springer first, then if you want, get the Heart of Thorns glider (I am assuming you got the HoT and PoF expansions here). Then right after, go ahead and create a new character and start right from the start. You will have the mounts and glider to play with on your new character, and also learn the gameplay and story. As for your level 80. I would suggest not touching it until you have your new character levelled up to 80 and you know more of the game. That worked for me, and you should try it too!

@DragonTactician.4571 said:yea brought both, with the bonus gems, i wanted to buy the mount outfits but the gems didnt get delivered and no longer can buy the mount outfits really upset over it

Items on the Gem store cycle in and out, so keep an eye on the store and they will be back one day.

As things like achievements, skins and mounts are account wide, you can now create a LV 1 character and still use the mounts. There is no min character level required or anything.

I think most others in the thread have answered your question quite comprehensively. One thing I do hope you come to enjoy should you continue to play Guild Wars 2 is the very friendly and helpful bunch that reside within our community.

Referring back to your initial question about where to go and what to do. Much of your progress in Guild Wars 2 is tied to your account, if you change your mind about your character after putting hours into completing achievements don't feel put off about starting a fresh character or feel that your time spent on your first was wasted in any way.

@DragonTactician.4571 said:

The gear part doesnt suprise me and trying to find the things i want is part of the fun, i do have a weakness as id rather look cool and do no damage then look bad and do tons of damage.

Just a tip on this, in case you don't realize...

In your Hero panel, there is a 'Wardrobe' panel. You can use this to make any of your gear look like any of the skins you have already unlocked, for the cost of one transmutation charge. So, for example, if you have a really cool-looking Dredge Hammer, and then you find a hammer with better stats but a more boring look, you can change the new hammer to look like your old Dredge hammer. You get transmutation charges from many sources--the daily log-in rewards, leveling rewards, Black lion chests, or as a bonus when you complete a map exploration (unless you are lucky enough to get a black lion key instead.) Or you can buy them with gems, if you don't have enough and are impatient.

I say this to everyone new: DON'T use the lvl 80 boost. Level normally through the game and follow the story/content in a chronological order as much as possible. If you did use the level 80 boost, roll a new character and level with that. You're confused because you skipped literally everything teaching you more about the game and your class. Even then it might still be confusing because GW2 isn't like other MMOs and by leveling normally it at least gives you time to familiarize yourself with the aspects and concepts that are different from other MMOs. It also gives you the chance to meet people, join guilds, and ask questions as you run into things you are confused about.

@DrewK.1975 said:Thing I don't get is, where do you get new weapons? I'm back leveling my old 67 Warrior and I've gone 3 levels now with the same kitten weapons. When and /or how do you get new stuff to try out?

You get weapons mostly from completing the personal story, loot drops, buying them off the TP or you can craft them yourself. I'm not the sort of person who would actively seek out better weapons, so I mostly wait on drops from bags and hope there's something better in them.

@ShadowDove.8329 said:

@DrewK.1975 said:Thing I don't get is, where do you get new weapons? I'm back leveling my old 67 Warrior and I've gone 3 levels now with the same kitten weapons. When and /or how do you get new stuff to try out?

You get weapons mostly from completing the personal story, loot drops, buying them off the TP or you can craft them yourself. I'm not the sort of person who would actively seek out better weapons, so I mostly wait on drops from bags and hope there's something better in them.

Yeah, I wouldn't really advise crafting or buying them, either. If you are really hurting, check the weapon vendors near the hearts, but ... mostly, just use whatever drops, or don't both upgrading. Until you hit 80, it doesn't hugely matter anyway. The difference is pretty small.

Archived