What would be the implications of GW2 coming to Steam?

As a recently returning player, I have found that I am really enjoying GW2 again. However I can't help that a lot of the areas that I love exploring are deserving of many more players who have never explored Tyria before. That's where Steam comes into the picture. Please note this is all hypothetical, it should be pretty obvious but I want to include the disclaimer just in case anyone thinks I'm making this a matter of "when" and not "if" GW2 comes out on Steam.

If GW2 were offered through the Steam platform, I believe Anet could really have a hit - again- on their hands. They would just need to do their market research and not take shortcuts in presenting it as a FTP MMO on Steam with the options to purchase the expansions just like you currently do through GW2.com.

As a casual player myself, a few things I would recommend Anet to do before making such a step:

• Explain in crystal clear terms what all the modes are, how they differ from one another, and how to access them. I've had GW2 since near launch and I still don't have much of an idea of how WvW, PvP, Fractals, Mists, etc... work. Hardcore players seem like they naturally would understand these things, but casual players like myself might be confused or even turned off by not knowing what they are. I don't care if Anet links new players to existing guides on all those modes, as long as they have EASY access to them that would be fine.
  • Make sure to explain that there's no rush to the end-game. Personally I am thoroughly enjoying sightseeing all the finely woven pieces of each zone and level of detail these locales present for the first time due to computer upgrades.
  • MAKE DIFFERENT FORMS OF COMMUNICATION EASIER. Instead of having to type everything out, there should be an emote wheel (or something similar) that is displayed on the UI so that new players who don't have previous MMO experience can easily pull it out and start making friends with others by waving, bowing, dancing, burping, etc... with a few keystrokes instead of typed commands that need to be memorized. I think this alone will make it that much easier to be friendly with strangers. How often do you just have someone else in the same area as you, but they just do their business then carry on because one of you would actually need to type something in order to initiate a conversation. Imagine how that situation could improve if you had easy-to-access emotes that serve as icebreakers.
  • Explanation of Living Story and Seasons. I should have included this in the first point, but I figure that it could also use its own section.

Anyway, I know these points could apply just as well to new players who are coming to GW2 today, but I really think and sense that Anet is at least in talks with Valve to get their game onto Steam, and if they DO, then here are just some things to consider before dropping the bomb upon release and not being able to recover. Sorry if my post sounds super rambly, I was really tired when typing this out.

They would have to share sales of the game and gem store with valve and given gw2 is doing very well for itself as it is, I'm not convinced steam would increase the player base enough to offset it, esp how easily games can get lost in there.

Whatever the reason, anet will have thought and discussed it already I have no doubt. The fact they aren't using steam means they have a legitimate reason for it.

Having to share gem store profits with Valve is probably the show-stopper here. As for bringing in (a lot of) new players, Steam didn't save Wildstar, which is a criminally underestimated MMO (IMO). Any arrival on Steam would probably need to be accompanied by a pretty huge PR campaign to have any real impact. I still encounter MMO players who haven't even heard of GW2, let alone about how much more awesome it's become over the years.

Valve takes a rather large percentage of every transaction. Somewhere along the lines of 30% to 40% were the last figures I saw from Steam aka Valve.

I hope that they don't go the Steam route as I will then not play. I personally don't like Steam or any 'service' like that. Just cause I am online and playing does not mean I want another company on top of the game company tracking my play time. I can't keep completely away from having my computer tracked online but the less that have their fingers in the pie the better for not having my ID stolen --- again.

@PyrateSilly.4710 said:Valve takes a rather large percentage of every transaction. Somewhere along the lines of 30% to 40% were the last figures I saw from Steam aka Valve.

I hope that they don't go the Steam route as I will then not play. I personally don't like Steam or any 'service' like that. Just cause I am online and playing does not mean I want another company on top of the game company tracking my play time. I can't keep completely away from having my computer tracked online but the less that have their fingers in the pie the better for not having my ID stolen --- again.

I would assume that would only apply if you purchase/use the Steam client version of the game. If you continue to use the ANet client, I would think Steam would stay out of the loop. But I'm no expert in such things.

@"solfizz.5730" said:As a recently returning player, I have found that I am really enjoying GW2 again. However I can't help that a lot of the areas that I love exploring are deserving of many more players who have never explored Tyria before. That's where Steam comes into the picture. Please note this is all hypothetical, it should be pretty obvious but I want to include the disclaimer just in case anyone thinks I'm making this a matter of "when" and not "if" GW2 comes out on Steam.

If GW2 were offered through the Steam platform, I believe Anet could really have a hit - again- on their hands. They would just need to do their market research and not take shortcuts in presenting it as a FTP MMO on Steam with the options to purchase the expansions just like you currently do through GW2.com.

You lost me here. Instead of going to steam they could just market it again...?

If you ask any indie developer they will say being on steam doesn't guarantee any amount of hits. If anything there is enough refuse on there to overshadow potential customers. Luckily Guild Wars 2 isn't "indie."

Regardless. If they want more players, then add (or fix!) more content and market it. Steam isn't necessary to any of that.

D:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:While it's very unlikely, they stated they are meeting with business partners during E3 so maybe steam release is part of their plans.

That quote and a followup comment by another player regarding Steam was what prompted me to make this post. I really hope it's not simply wishful thinking.

Besides a revenue sharing issue, ANet wouldn't want to tie its game updating system to Steam. Right now, ANet has one of the more robust installation/update systems in the industry. You can install GW2 on your hard drive, move it to a flashdrive, and copy it to another program, without any problem. Updating is as simple as double-clicking the app and waiting a relatively short time. On Steam, ANet would have to redo the code to accommodate Steam's system, adjust when Steam sees fit to update, and so on.

Yes I agree, GW2 won't go near steam until the player base declines steeply.... So far though ANET has managed to hold onto most of its player base quite well as the years have gone by.... expansions, new content, storylines & new abilities have always managed to bring us back.... may the pale tree continue to bless this game, its player base & of course the developers themselves!

Couldn't the Steam version operate separately from the client that we currently play on? And perhaps the mtx for Steam accounts be handled through the Steam filter (whatever % they get) too? Just curious, not trying to come off as challenging those who might know more than me...

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:Besides a revenue sharing issue, ANet wouldn't want to tie its game updating system to Steam. Right now, ANet has one of the more robust installation/update systems in the industry. You can install GW2 on your hard drive, move it to a flashdrive, and copy it to another program, without any problem. Updating is as simple as double-clicking the app and waiting a relatively short time. On Steam, ANet would have to redo the code to accommodate Steam's system, adjust when Steam sees fit to update, and so on.

They wouldn't necessarily have to accommodate steam but I am reminded of Path of Exile's occasional update hiccups for the steam version. There have been times when the regular client is out and about with people playing but the steam users were still waiting for the update to show up. That may not be an issue for GW2 since it does zero downtime updates and supports running multiple versions of the game at the same time. On the other hand it is unknown if steam can support that.

@solfizz.5730 said:Couldn't the Steam version operate separately from the client that we currently play on? And perhaps the mtx for Steam accounts be handled through the Steam filter (whatever % they get) too? Just curious, not trying to come off as challenging those who might know more than me...

Typically all steam does is launch the client, the same client bought from Anet or other sources.

If GW2 released on Steam, they would probably separate it, where any purchases through Steam wouldn't be compatible with normal accounts and purchases made elsewhere wouldn't be compatible with Steam. This is due to Steam wanting their cut of all sales. Since gems would likely have a different price, Steam probably wouldn't have access to the exchange, or it'd be different.

@piitb.7635 said:

@solfizz.5730 said:Couldn't the Steam version operate separately from the client that we currently play on? And perhaps the mtx for Steam accounts be handled through the Steam filter (whatever % they get) too? Just curious, not trying to come off as challenging those who might know more than me...

Typically all steam does is launch the client, the same client bought from Anet or other sources.

Black Desert Online expanded to Steam, and from what I heard, if you wanted to launch from Steam, you had to buy another copy of the game even if you already had an account. So I'm assuming the BDO launcher and the Steam BDO launcher were separate entities. The game servers were still the same, so it's not as if the two player populations were isolated from one another.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:Besides a revenue sharing issue, ANet wouldn't want to tie its game updating system to Steam. Right now, ANet has one of the more robust installation/update systems in the industry. You can install GW2 on your hard drive, move it to a flashdrive, and copy it to another program, without any problem. Updating is as simple as double-clicking the app and waiting a relatively short time. On Steam, ANet would have to redo the code to accommodate Steam's system, adjust when Steam sees fit to update, and so on.

There are other MMOs on steam that don't tie their update software to steam. Steam only downloads the launcher (in this case the GW2.exe) and all patching would be done via the launcher.

I really think the reason GW2 isn't on steam is because of economical reasons, not technical ones.

@JDub.1530 said:

Black Desert Online expanded to Steam, and from what I heard, if you wanted to launch from Steam, you had to buy another copy of the game even if you already had an account. So I'm assuming the BDO launcher and the Steam BDO launcher were separate entities. The game servers were still the same, so it's not as if the two player populations were isolated from one another.

That's a great analogy as to why the Steam version just might be doable. As others have pointed out though, they would really need to sort out the logistics of in-game microtransactions. I think it wouldn't be too hard tbh, just give Steam their share from owners of the game who purchased through Steam and keep the same model for those who play on the GW2 client. Is that oversimplifying the situation?

I could see guild wars 2 working with steam. Sell heart of thorns and path of fire on steam ...but only the 29.99 version. Then sell gems and deluxe / legendary system outside of steam.

That would make it simple but....we don't know where most of net's income comes from. Maybe basic expansions sales is their main source of income. Then , they should not partner with steam.

@solfizz.5730 said:

That's a great analogy as to why the Steam version just might be doable. As others have pointed out though, they would really need to sort out the logistics of in-game microtransactions. I think it wouldn't be too hard tbh, just give Steam their share from owners of the game who purchased through Steam and keep the same model for those who play on the GW2 client. Is that oversimplifying the situation?

I don't know if that oversimplifies it. I don't know the technical and business aspects of dealing with Steam. However BDO devs were also accused of making substantial changes to the game to cater to their new Steam player base (e.g. special server channels ONLY for Steam players with massive EXP buffs). It may be happening all over again with BDO preparing to port to XBox now.....but I digress.

@JDub.1530 said:

I don't know if that oversimplifies it. I don't know the technical and business aspects of dealing with Steam. However BDO devs were also accused of making substantial changes to the game to cater to their new Steam player base (e.g. special server channels ONLY for Steam players with massive EXP buffs). It may be happening all over again with BDO preparing to port to XBox now.....but I digress.

Interesting correlation there. I hope that we don't see a bunch of P2W mechanics pop up if the deal goes through.

@Goettel.4389 said:I still encounter MMO players who haven't even heard of GW2, let alone about how much more awesome it's become over the years.

If I'm being honest here, the leveling grind isn't anything to write home about, and it doesn't feel any different to me than year one. A new approach to be sure in the MMO genre, but it falls woefully short of other MMO's overall, as your character only marginally improves every level but overall remains static in terms of skills and gear (a lot of the armor and weapon drops are just the same 1-3 skins from 1-80.) Also, enemies tend to feel like mere piles of hit points with a slow auto attack and maybe one gimmick ability (typically a knock down or stun.)

1-80 could definitely use a little more pizzazz before GW2 goes advertising for another player surge via Steam or what-have-you. Asking people to tough it out to the good stuff doesn't work when there are games that strive to give you the good stuff right away.

Archived