Why not housing?

@"hugo.4705" said:The concept should not be restricted to guild, imagine you are a casual player and like decorating, customizing, building a home like in AC or MC, and DON'T want to be part of a guild, want to evolve alone (It can happens) ; what alternative would they have ? I like the idea of smaller guild hall, an instance for that or houses but outside of the guild hall, a non-guild hall/house. But then, two solutions: Make some areas all around tyria and cities instanced where you can have your own house OR an global map/instance that everyone can access through an asuran gate.The fact is, guild hall don't need guild houses/mansions, in this case we just need a ton of new decorations! If we got the tools, (floor/wall/roof/staircase) we can make our own house in GH without requiring to add another system or massive prefab structures aka Houses, and more, they are no much involvement in guild hall, no new decorations after 8-9 months I guess.

If you believe any form of personal housing will ever be good for casual players, I think you will be disappointed.

But just want to say, in order to get your own guild hall, that costs about

• 101 gold +1 guild mission to get a hall (With maybe 4-5 volunteers, just use LFG),
  • 300 gold and 3-4 easy guild missions to upgrade it to a decorating functional state
  • and maybe about another 130 gold for full scribing when having access to a guild who's willing to let you train scribing to 400. (My guild is at least, but again, use LFG)

So with that said, adding small guild halls or something equivalent to that, I think this is totally reasonable for personal housing.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Obtena.7952 said:Housing is a rather stupid MMO mechanic if you think about it. I get that some people like it, but it doesn't really fit into the theme of the game. based on Anet's atypical approach to design and implementation, I think the 'House' you want isn't going to happen and the 'House' you are going to get is already here in the home instance.

For GW2 maybe. But not in general. Ultima Online had the best housing system ever. Star Wars Galaxies was nice as well. Shard of the Avatar, the new Ultima brings the same diverse housing functionality to the 3D world.

I'd argue that GW2 more so than many games, where active achievement hunting and repeating metas and stuff is set to have a better reason for housing. People fashion wars themselves, they would decoration wars their homes. Also give people more reason to do some stuff to keep events active if they could acquire house stuff from these things.

UO having the best housing system has no relevance to the concept of housing being a healthy mechanic for an MMO. Typically, the way they are implemented, they aren't. Having a personal retreat is against the whole idea of what an MMO is. IF housing is implemented like that, there are motives at play that have nothing to do with healthy gameplay. Most the time it's just a grab at market share or revenue.

"Simple" solution would be to open up several of the existing homes in the home instance for player use...this does several things, the instance is already something created every time you visit your home instance, secondly the buildings already exist and one of them even already has doors you can open...third, you can either use it or not, it's there if you want it and it's still there even if you want nothing to do with it.

@"Zaklex.6308" said:"Simple" solution would be to open up several of the existing homes in the home instance for player use...this does several things, the instance is already something created every time you visit your home instance, secondly the buildings already exist and one of them even already has doors you can open...third, you can either use it or not, it's there if you want it and it's still there even if you want nothing to do with it.

Doesn't work so well as a Norn since our home instance doesn't actually have buildings... (I suppose you could hang a picture in an alcove and claim it as your own)

Only if it's the result of a carpenter crafting profession. Also plot of lands should be contested in PvP and buying and selling houses should have it's own realty market. You should also be able to build hotels requiring more than one carpenter and charge for rooms, same with apartment buildings.

Oh and if you build, buy and sell enough hotels and buildings you should become president of kryta and enforce strict immigration laws by any means necessary.

I want player housing via the guild hall system. The system exists and all they have to do is give Dragon's Watch a much needed guild hall capture mission. All the NPC members of the guild hall system could match the contribution of the player to it. There could be instanced guild missions with the Dragon's Watch NPCs or even your own characters; maybe dungeons, raids, fractals, etc. It would be interesting if via a Dragon's Watch guild hall you could interact with your other characters that you aren't currently playing. An A.I. driving them could work off the hidden personality mechanic. On missions they could use a Dragon's Watch guild only currency reward to allow the player to build up their personal guild. They could allow for you to team up with other players on the missions to replace the NPCs and all players would share in the rewards to their personal guild bank.

I would like to see the DW guild hall be a Living World sized map just east of Timberline Falls and Mount Maelstrom. Three different environments meet up there; ice, jungle and water plus there is the Inquest presence in the timeline of Mount Maelstrom. They could set the timeline of the DW map a couple of years after that of Mount Maelstrom and the story could be that the Inquest abandoned their base in the area. The capture mission could be to remove Inquest traps; clear it of security golems, Inquest created abominations and clear it of creatures that moved into it. The reason why I say do it as a map is that you could clear/farm the map once a day for special resources. The map could have a dock for ships and airships. If done right it could be a hub to link core Tyria with PoF maps to give a feeling of a continual world.

Doing it this way would also give players the choice of going solo on their own guild hall or teaming up with friends on missions.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Tekoneiric.6817 said:Doing it this way would also give players the choice of going solo on their own guild hall or teaming up with friends on missions.

Or, just use a home instance which is already there and requires no teaming up to access it.

Many of us want more than the lame home instance. That is really linked to the personal story and the game has really grown beyond that. A lot of us want something we can really customize that is more open which is why I suggested a small LW sized map for it.

@Tekoneiric.6817 said:

@Tekoneiric.6817 said:Doing it this way would also give players the choice of going solo on their own guild hall or teaming up with friends on missions.

Or, just use a home instance which is already there and requires no teaming up to access it.

Many of us want more than the lame home instance. That is really linked to the personal story and the game has really grown beyond that. A lot of us want something we can really customize that is more open which is why I suggested a small LW sized map for it.

Then why not change the home instance to allow for more customization?

@kharmin.7683 said:

Then why not change the home instance to allow for more customization?

Such as airship dock, boat dock, etc? The home instances are too small and inconsistent from one race to another plus there is more than one. Home instances are like a child hood home to the characters but a DW guild hall would be a much more fitting place for expanding character development as it could be used as a story hub. It would be a focus point for Dragon's Watch.

Archived