revamping the personal story (spoilers all over the place)

Hello. SPOILERS AHEAD.once again, i don't know how well this is going to be received, because i am certain it's more than likely going to get a lot of heat and "thumbs down", but here goes:I think the personal story needs to be revamped.while i have seen a multitude of new players coming into a game i have fallen madly in love with, knowing nothing of the story and what to expect when playing it, i also am aware of the fact that players like to feel challenged. after playing through the story so many times that i can predict where i need to stand to prompt things happening or not happening, and after studying some of the mechanics thoroughly, i have drawn the conclusion that it is indeed possible to make this story more of a challenge.... more of a story.firstly, i love the fact that our choices generate different outcomes. mind you, there are a finite amount of possibilities(it is a video game after all), but we don't get penalized for making a "wrong" decision, such as if we don't choose to save astorea and instead help the sylvari male rescue his love from the nightmare court, Astorea doesn't get overtaken by the nightmare court, or destroyed, or anything. we can safely assume that it simply gets successfully defended and move on. if we choose one of the 3 orders, the other two orders don't get angry at us or anything or even remark at our "bad" decision"... they just move right along swimmingly. While we do have that amazing option of choosing, our choices, much like they play out in dynamic events, should have a greater influence on how the story goes for us, be it positive or negative. it should give us the chance to think about the consequences.moving on... the overall difficulty of the missions are fair and balanced, but there is a sense that the missions can't possibly fail unless we are defeated, and even then, we have the option of retrying from that very moment of defeat, instead of getting kicked out of the mission and having to restart. instead of this, why not instantly kick us out if say, trahearne dies during the mission or the commander is defeated? even more to the point, making the mission just a wee more difficult or having a challenge mote on certain missions would almost force the players to work on a strategy to accomplish mission goals, rather than have to hack/slash/deathroll through knowing fully well that regardless of how many times they are defeated, the mission will be successful.and I know we can't take zhaitan head on while we are on the airship in the final dungeon. we are tasked with getting on a gun and shooting at him from afar, shades of king kong. but wouldn't that be amazing... to actually have to fight zhaitan, one on one... or so to speak, while on the airship? i mean, after a while we do see tendrils of zhaitan spawning around us, but that's not the same. the mobs should be champion-level hard and the fight, as epic as it appears, should be an epic fight for real.i guess what i am getting at, is this game is amazing in all areas, from beginning to "endgame" and the story is rich with lore and history,but it needs to be toughened up a bit. it needs to have a big fight feel. an epic should be epic, and a legend should be legendary. if we, the (soldier of the legions, newly awakened sylvari, average poor/common/noble human, aspiring inventor, or recently accomplished slayer) are going to embark on this globe-trotting all-encompassing epic journey throughout tyria to face the various dangers and threats that lie in front of us, no matter how insurmountable they are, then we should be invested, nay challenged, to fight these battles with the very best of our abilities.

@"blackheartgary.8605" said:While we do have that amazing option of choosing, our choices, much like they play out in dynamic events, should have a greater influence on how the story goes for us, be it positive or negative. it should give us the chance to think about the consequences.

This is not intended as a criticism or flame or anything, but this piece stood out. Think very carefully about what you're asking for, then read on...

I also play SWTOR, and it had a weaker version of the same problem (there were some choices that were irreversible and had longer consequences, but not many). In October 2015, they released patch 4.0 and the Knights of the Fallen Empire story expansion. Among the "selling points" of this expansion was what one of the senior designers at Bioware called "Consequences matter". There are decisions you can make as you move through the KotFE story and its follow-up Knights of the Eternal Throne, and some of those decisions have consequences that come back to bite you later. In a few cases, "later" means MUCH later. A decision that one of my characters took in part of the initial KotFE release combined with another that she took in content released in early 2016, and caused a consequence in something else that was released in mid-late 2017.

I think it's fine, but there have been repeated complaints about the fact that although you can replay these stories on the same character, you are stuck with the choices that you made on the first play through for that character.

Now go back and think again about how what you're asking for could end up.

Re: increasing the difficulty of the base story: Quite simply, my view is : "No". Remember that this content must be scaled in difficulty for new players who will, by definition, be less skilled at GW2's particular take on combat. For you and I, today, that content isn't hard, because we know all about the need to dodge and so on. (For reference, I started playing in the first moments that the game was open, although I took a break for a while after mid-November 2012.) A new player does not know that stuff, and "beginning" content must accommodate the new player. In essence, the game for experienced players begins with the Silverwastes, HoT, and so on.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:I don't know about more difficulty; think about the response to the HoT Story, or some of the Living World Season Episode Stories, and that was from 'Vets', as well.

Jupjup the push back from players on that got a ton of HoT nerfed not once but twice if i recall correctly, and the story missions for those heavily changed.

I think it is fine that personal story (the Zhaitan storyline) is fairly easy. I mean it wasn't that easy the first time I played through... I remember struggling at Claw Island, new players may still get to struggle at Claw Island. Even if I can do it quickly for keys these days.Later story does get more difficult... as others said even so other vets think it is too much.

Problem with deviating choices too much is that the story will always have to end with the same results. There is overarching story that has to happen regardless of our choices.

I don't really care for difficulty. . I don't really care that much for our choices mattering. But Im all for revamp.

Imo the core game needs a lot of work now, personal story included. Let's be honest for most of people personal story is very very weak... and Im sad bcs of it.HoT story and PoF story -> these were entertaining and I was actually interested in what was going to happen most of the time. Personal story is something I yawn every time I try to listen.

GW2 is a great game, but 1-80 lvls can make many people resign from game before the fun part starts. Right now they're giving you boosters etc to skip the 1-80 lvl if you purchuase expansion, but that's not the good resolution. They should try to make 1-80 lvls more fun too.Maybe 1-80 could get some "mini fractals", a race with a mount given just for this race, some adventures with e.g. free gliding just for it, so people can actually try out things they're getting with expansions and have some fun. Right now 1-80 is basically doing maps with very medicore story along the way. I can't force myself to do it ever again now that I have tomes of knowledge and I can replay all expansion content without a problem -> that shows something with that content is wrong.Personal story (especially for humans... omg so boring) and LS2 could use a boost.

@blackheartgary.8605 said:instead of this, why not instantly kick us out if say, trahearne dies during the mission or the commander is defeated?

That would actually lower the difficulty, since the content would be nerfed to compensate. In the more recent stories, all of the complaints where people say they died 30+ times for example, all of that would be a mere fraction of the difficulty it is now. Besides, resetting it doesn't make it more challenging, it just turns it into a grind. They would need to have either the option of accepting failure, or continuing at an easier difficulty.

At the very least, they do need to tell people that dying is a failure, rather than leaving them to believe that it's fine that they're death rushing it. Putting anvils before the bosses for example only reinforces the idea that the boss is going to be a gimmick death grind. It could be something simple like an achievement for not dying while solo, except when you fail, it makes it obvious, similar to how a failed quest might look in other games.

If you simply want a slightly higher difficulty, take off your gear. That's essentially what a challenge mote would do, since they wouldn't bother redesigning the encounters. You can't do this anymore for the story, but if you want the pre-nerf core difficulty, play in +10 level areas with a condition build.

Kicking ppl from an instance doesn't make it more difficult, it makes it more punishing. Big diffrence.

Other then that i would like to see the core game revamped (it's not a controversial opinion) it needs to better teach new players how to play. Better tutorials and slightly more difficult contentwould probably acomplish this

The zhaitan arc got rushed at the end and it shows, i think they need to revamp mostly the orr part with some minor tweaks to the order part.

after reading the above comments so far:while i understand that some of the things i stated above as the o.p. aren't the best option, and quite frankly i agree to a point, the fact remains that there does seem to be a need for a revamping of sorts of the story. i'd like to see it a bit more challenging, if not progressively difficult (and i know that it is already due to being every 10 levels). yes, the zhaitan fight could be done a bit better... something feels lost and anticlimatic. the road leading up to the big fight could also include "complete the XXX meta event located at XXX to continue" or something similar to what we need to do during heart of thorns or path of fire. perhaps encouraging team-play on a certain step with each having the chance to take credit for the instance, or maybe taking a bit more time to flesh out how our character became so revered as to be selected as "the guy" that has to work with the three orders of tyria. the starting phases are fine, it's just when we start getting deeper into the story that it seems rushed.

@"blackheartgary.8605" said:after reading the above comments so far:while i understand that some of the things i stated above as the o.p. aren't the best option, and quite frankly i agree to a point, the fact remains that there does seem to be a need for a revamping of sorts of the story. i'd like to see it a bit more challenging, if not progressively difficult (and i know that it is already due to being every 10 levels). yes, the zhaitan fight could be done a bit better... something feels lost and anticlimatic. the road leading up to the big fight could also include "complete the XXX meta event located at XXX to continue" or something similar to what we need to do during heart of thorns or path of fire. perhaps encouraging team-play on a certain step with each having the chance to take credit for the instance, or maybe taking a bit more time to flesh out how our character became so revered as to be selected as "the guy" that has to work with the three orders of tyria. the starting phases are fine, it's just when we start getting deeper into the story that it seems rushed.

Be carefull with including meta events (especially in orr) since they're not always up.

Also it's nit that we didn't see how we became "that guy" it's more that you don't notice it because of how underwelming the moments feel.

Archived