Legacy/Vanilla PvP mode?

Rouien.5234

It's no secret that guild wars PvP has not only changed, but hasn't been the main focus of this game, which is okay! But, I feel it is getting perhaps less and less attention as year go by. Many veterans, counting me, and others I've spoken have told me that it's gotten CONSIDERABLY worse since launch.

I've seen ludicrous builds go meta for months without being patched and have even been told by many thief mains whom started 2011-2012 that their class is basically useless in WvW and PvP unless you use any 3 variations of the deadeye builds. (if that's so then I feel so bad for thieves because they used to look so fun to play back in the day but I just never had the reflexes)

Personally, I cannot stand the current PvP scene/meta. (And I've heard WvW is so much worse). My opinion is that this current PvP is much MUCH more "safer" in a way. Yes, safer. This is ironic to say because, at times PvP is extremely condi-heavy and one shot-y. But, when I say safe I mean that many of the new skills and professions are able to do ALOTTA damage, apply conditions, apply boons all while having good or above average self-sustain.

Of course ye' old guild wars wasn't perfect, but I personally feel like it was little more tolerable (and skillful) than what it's turned into and I'd personally love of they did like a legacy PvP mode.

Maybe it's just the nostalgia talkin', but I'd rather much deal with the unkillable cele eles than the meta we have now. At least cele eles didn't one shot you WHILE soaking up all your damage. But what do you think?

TLDRME ANGY ABOUT PVP. IT HURT MORE

Do you think they should add a throwback mode/server that has only the vanilla classes and has the old arenas, (Maybe maps), vanilla trait system, skills and gear (Amulets, Sigil, runes)?

• 3 weeks later...

If GW2 had 5 million active players, then I'd vote yes. But it doesn't So I didn't.

Another mode to further split those few who still PvP wouldn't help (counterargument would be that more people would come back... and maybe they would at first... but it's not a great solution to the problem).

I'd like to see ranked and unranked combined and then more maps / gamemodes added. Let any semblance of a "ranked" version of play be limited to teams only, whether that's ATs or a new team-only queue.

This poll doesnt show much cuz many ppl didnt care to read original post and didnt know what they are voting for exactly. Or also option "didnt play vanilla".

@"pah.4931" said:If GW2 had 5 million active players, then I'd vote yes. But it doesn't So I didn't.

Another mode to further split those few who still PvP wouldn't help (counterargument would be that more people would come back... and maybe they would at first... but it's not a great solution to the problem).

I'd like to see ranked and unranked combined and then more maps / gamemodes added. Let any semblance of a "ranked" version of play be limited to teams only, whether that's ATs or a new team-only queue.

Or because of that many more ppl will come back and ppl would actually stop leaving game?

@"Emapudapus.1307" said:This poll doesnt show much cuz many ppl didnt care to read original post and didnt know what they are voting for exactly. Or also option "didnt play vanilla".

@"pah.4931" said:If GW2 had 5 million active players, then I'd vote yes. But it doesn't So I didn't.

Or because of that many more ppl will come back and ppl would actually stop leaving game?

I agree. They COULD come back. And it would be great. I voted NO because I don't think they would (at least not for long)... :D

Do i want to get a legacy mode, with basic gw2 gameplay ? Yeah sure, why not, for nostalgia sake, i'd love to go back to core bunker guard, cele ele, cele engi, mesmer with actual weakness... Not that it'll have better balance or build diversity, but it'll be a nice change of pace.

But that's not really the question here.The real question should be : Do i want the devs to put on hold current pvp developement to implement such a legacy mode ? Hell no. The pvp team already have many higher priority tasks on the lists like swiss-style tournament, special custom tournaments, potential 10v10 deathmatch battleground for players that are sick and tired of conquest, better support and infrastructure for the 2v2 gamemode, more maps for everything, ect.

In five years, if spvp no longer have glaring issues... maybe... as a low priority side project... could be fun. Until then, i wouldn't bother and just focus on what the gamemode actually needs.

@Spoichiche.1290 said:Do i want to get a legacy mode, with basic gw2 gameplay ? Yeah sure, why not, for nostalgia sake, i'd love to go back to core bunker guard, cele ele, cele engi, mesmer with actual weakness... Not that it'll have better balance or build diversity, but it'll be a nice change of pace.

But that's not really the question here.The real question should be : Do i want the devs to put on hold current pvp developement to implement such a legacy mode ? Hell no. The pvp team already have many higher priority tasks on the lists like swiss-style tournament, special custom tournaments, potential 10v10 deathmatch battleground for players that are sick and tired of conquest, better support and infrastructure for the 2v2 gamemode, more maps for everything, ect.

In five years, if spvp no longer have glaring issues... maybe... as a low priority side project... could be fun. Until then, i wouldn't bother and just focus on what the gamemode actually needs.

I agree. Like, I wouldn't mind this being like a side project for them for the handful of people who miss old school PvP! So many people get mad at me for bringing this up but it's like-- Even if they WERE to bring out... You don't have to play it.. Of course it might not be perfect, but it has its charms compared to the stuff we gotta deal with now.

• 4 weeks later...

Core has some builds that are or where either meta level and or taken in ats and in some cases proved succesfull like in not getting owned instantly

Core sdRadiant hammer

Then there is core builds u can take to ranked and get platatleast

Core warCore rangerCore ele

These are core builds capable of keeping up with current pof powercreep

Ud need to undo all buffs to core.

absolutley agree.

PvP is a mess atm. It's beyond a balance patch. It needs reviewing from the top down but that wont happen. The power creep (and SO much of it!), one shot setups, low risk high reward builds. Its shit! if I'm frank. Utter shit.

Used to be my favoutite game mode but I cant enjoy it the way I used to. It's turned from a tactically satisfying combat game to a game of who misstimes their dodge/block first and gets burst into oblivion.... if it doesn't come from stealth, that is.

If there was a PvP with only core traits, I'd be on it like a tramp on chips!

Archived