Core PvP Weekend - Just Like No-Downstate WvW

Core PvP Weekend - Just Like No-Downstate WvW

I mean... this no-downstate week has been pretty damn fun. It kind of feels like a mini-holiday event like Halloween or something. What about a weekend that happens only once a month, where we can only play Core builds? It should effect everything in spvp, unranked/ranked/ATs. Would be pretty fun to go retro-meta and see teams of D/D Eles and Hambows every once in awhile.

I do not however, think that no-downstate would be a good idea in spvp, so let's avoid that discussion now! and save it for a different thread.

Core PvP weekend would make every single "engineer" not play during the weekend. The reason for that is that every "engineer" is so used to playing their dumbed down Holosmith or as I like to call it the "idiot swinging his weapon in the air like a mad man" specialization. Core shows intelligence, skill and knowledge with kits in order to be effective. With Holosmith, you press one button and congratulations, you've turned Super Saiyan Blue.

We'd probably be looking at this:

Core Meta:

• GS Axe/Shield Warrior
  • S/D Thieves
  • Hammer Valk Guard
  • LB GS Power Rangers "These are surprisingly nearly as useful as Soulbeasts actually" They just lack vs. expansion classes for obvious reasons.
  • Power Shatter Mesmers

Classes that would be questionably viable at all:

• Rifle Engis, no longer able to run Cele and incendiary ammo long since nerfed, right along with specializations completely redesigned.
  • Necros, whether power or condi, not sure they'd be able to front the kind of heat to keep up with the functional core builds.
  • Eles, eeeeeh could test run this with lowered cele stats. Might actually be balanced this time around. At the worst a bit underpowered.
  • Core Rev? I have no idea how this class plays with no Herald. Can't really comment on it.

"Just like no Dowstate-WvW"I mean no disrespect, but that's comparing apples to oranges.One changes (or rather disables) a base combat function, while the other greatly limits player choice (which they paid for).

Also....there have been soooo many changes since in the past few years, that its safe to say, that the pre-HoT meta will never return.Where you want to see D/D cele ele, Hambow and bunker guard; I already see FA scepter ele, Might makes right dodge warrior and 1 shot hammer guard.

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:Core PvP Weekend - Just Like No-Downstate WvW

I mean... this no-downstate week has been pretty kitten fun. It kind of feels like a mini-holiday event like Halloween or something. What about a weekend that happens only once a month, where we can only play Core builds? It should effect everything in spvp, unranked/ranked/ATs. Would be pretty fun to go retro-meta and see teams of D/D Eles and Hambows every once in awhile.

I do not however, think that no-downstate would be a good idea in spvp, so let's avoid that discussion now! and save it for a different thread.

I would love to see Arenanet add an Experimental Unranked Queue along side Ranked and Unranked for stuff like Core Only Weekend or No Down State SPvP weekend and whatever crazy stuff they can think off. Throw some huge gold and reward track bonuses to get people in there just to see how conquest ends up looking like with huge shake ups like these in a controlled setting.

And yeah, I've been having a hell of a time with No Down State WvW. I've never enjoyed WvW before and now I love it.

@rank eleven monk.9502 said:I'm really into thematic weekends, but there are 3 viable core builds and that's it:S/D thief > Core hammer guard > LB / GS power ranger

Then everything else is close to useless. Build diversity would be 0 OR those 3 builds would farm basically everyone.

@rank eleven monk.9502 said:I'm really into thematic weekends, but there are 3 viable core builds and that's it:S/D thief > Core hammer guard > LB / GS power ranger

Then everything else is close to useless. Build diversity would be 0 OR those 3 builds would farm basically everyone.Core Warrior has a solid build.

Thinking to myself how some kind of sandbox would be interesting outside the main game obviously. However, there's lot of core builds that are viable, just not easy to play as because most tend to actually fulfill their roles which is front mid and back, basically by armor tier pretty much. A core engineer has to use a lot of clever CC's to defeat a heavy (Like Throw Mine.) while dealing with Light is whole other story as it comes down to denying/blocking bursts.

Having an experimental mode however would pretty much just keep the F2P players out of the scene, or at least the regular unranked scene since they could just play this core build only mode. However if they wanted gold, they'd be forced to play ranked, so in the end of itself. It's kind of a 50 50. You don't want to separate communities.

This would not work at all. Even if we put aside that you want to prevent people from accessing content they paid for, the balance does not work at all with core only classes. Guardian and thief core builds can compete with HoT and PoF, and will dominate PvP. Warrior and ranger (possibly core shatter Mesmer). Nothing else can even remotely compete.

@"Hoodie.1045" said:Core PvP weekend would make every single "engineer" not play during the weekend. The reason for that is that every "engineer" is so used to playing their dumbed down Holosmith or as I like to call it the "idiot swinging his weapon in the air like a mad man" specialization. Core shows intelligence, skill and knowledge with kits in order to be effective. With Holosmith, you press one button and congratulations, you've turned Super Saiyan Blue.

Every post of you is a different reason to bash Holosmith.Come on boi, get over it.

@Pyav.9641 said:

• Necros, whether power or condi, not sure they'd be able to front the kind of heat to keep up with the functional core builds.

What about the Power D/D Well build? Used to work decently iirc.

The only thing that build does well is being a damage sponge. No offensive pressure even by core standards, and it rotates slower than a guardian.

The only reason necro was ever relevant pre-HoT was when SoS necro was the only thing that could counter a D/D ele. Of course SoS later got destroyed in the August 2017 patch along with Soul Reaping.

Archived