Team color structural difference

aceofbass.2163

Hey all,

Been playing gw2 for some time and never touched EoTM at all. Until today because I saw the supply drop from one of the airships and reminded me to finally check how that works. First thing to notice that it's barren. Like, I've only seen 2 players from our team and they were afk, and a bunch of I am assuming newbies from the enemy team because I was by the legendary defender and they rushed me to their deaths.

One thing I did like is the way the 3 teams are visually distinct from each other. Not just the landscape, but also the structure's architectures.

• Green borderland was rich with flora and the structures were inspired by ancient greek architecture.
  • Blue borderland was an icy tundra and the structures were inspired by Mongolian (kodan) architecture.
  • Red borderland was a desert and the structures were having this mad max vibe.

Blew me away not gonna lie because I've always thought the wvw maps SHOULD have this distinction between the territories owned.

Wish we had this kind of differentiation in normal wvw. Also would be so cool if for example you are on the blue team and you captured a red BL tower, that tower will flip to a kodan structure tower. I think this will spice things up a bit and will somehow help players by letting them know by a glance that they are not trying to get into a tower being held by opponent while trying to seek refuge - heh.

Yeah anet has a lot of plans on their hands right now since they are prepping for the alliance update. But still it's not bad to dream we would have this feature someday =)

Edit: bad time to post under wvw, the subforum is flooded with no downstate QQ.

Because when they were designing wvw they had this concept of Home borderland where every side would get a map that had a slight advantage to the home side, so 3 identical maps had to be used so it wasn't unfair to any one side, then eternal battleground where all 3 sides met with no extra structural advantages, but the sides were different in placement of structures.

Then desert borderland was designed and their thoughts were to have a rotation of the home borderlands to each map, not have them exist at the same time, so that they kept the same map advantages/disadvantages for all 3 sides. Seeing as wvw was dying at a rapid pace after HoT release due to a lot of other problems including the desert map which has a strong love/hate relationship with players, eventually it was settled on to just have them both running.

Eotm was designed as an overflow map to wait on the real wvw maps, so it could be designed with different flavor in mind instead of competitive advantages, it's an ebg map taken to the next step.

I personally wished they had never designed home maps in the first place and just created ebg maps from the start, it would have been a lot easier for them to add and remove maps in rotations. They stated they are currently not working on maps, who can blame them with the backlash of eotm and desert, but maybe when they have time and if alliances work out they'll look into another map to finish the 3 distinct home borderlands... although I would expect more crying about losing another alpine map instead.

P.S Visual skins according to sides like that kodan tower if blue flipped it would be cool too. Too bad they never looked into have additional skins for wvw even through the cash shop, but like finishers which I assume didn't sell as well as they would like, it just wasn't a good enough market to pursue, outfits, gliders and mount skins get them the cash.

@"XenesisII.1540" said:Because when they were designing wvw they had this concept of Home borderland where every side would get a map that had a slight advantage to the home side, so 3 identical maps had to be used so it wasn't unfair to any one side, then eternal battleground where all 3 sides met with no extra structural advantages, but the sides were different in placement of structures.

Don't get me wrong I wouldn't want to change anything where stuff are placed in wvw. I just wanted the BLs/teams to have different "skins" so they have a different feel like, oh this is red BL because it's mad max all up in that joint or like oh this camp is owned by blue because of the winter yaks or something. Something akin to RTS games.

@aceofbass.2163 said:Another suggestion would be; captured objectives would have a different look according to tier. T3 camp would have an extra hut or someething.

I would imagine it would be a bit annoying if you were standing in the spot that the hut spawned and you then became stuck in it, getting stuck in walls is bad enough.

@Vavume.8065 said:

@aceofbass.2163 said:Another suggestion would be; captured objectives would have a different look according to tier. T3 camp would have an extra hut or someething.

I would imagine it would be a bit annoying if you were standing in the spot that the hut spawned and you then became stuck in it, getting stuck in walls is bad enough.

I just want to say, kitten the generators in EoTM that have a 90 percent chance of spawning and trapping me inside them. That is all.

@Vavume.8065 said:I would imagine it would be a bit annoying if you were standing in the spot that the hut spawned and you then became stuck in it, getting stuck in walls is bad enough.

Agree it's annoying. If that's the cause for the hindrance of any improvement it should be looked at yah? Considering it's been a nuisance to players for years now.

Archived