What happened to Commanders?

Rimu.7105

@Israel.7056 said:

@"oOStaticOo.9467" said:Here's the thing the "Casuals" basically want. Inclusion. They don't want to Min/Max Stats to get the absolute most and best DPS out of a specific character, nor have to memorize a specific rotation of skills and powers to maximize the amount of damage and sustain they can do. However, they do want to be able to participate and help out when it comes to capturing something or fighting another enemy blob. They don't want to be harassed because they don't have a specific build that is current Meta. Yet you will see people on these forums calling for player toxicity towards "Casuals". You will see them call for harassment because they aren't playing a certain way. You will see them say things like leading "Casuals" into death by fake pushing into a blob or going to a keep and standing them under AC and player fire until they die so many times they give up and quit. When all they want to do is help capture a tower, keep, or take down an enemy blob that is in the area. They want to have fun too, yet so many will deny them this fun because they aren't trying to do it the way the others want them to do it. Any "Casual" will understand if they get a message saying, "Hey buddy, look you are welcome to join the squad but as soon as we are full and another player comes on that is more what we are looking for you'll get kicked from the squad. Although you are more than welcome to follow behind us and help out if you like." It also doesn't take much to designate one person from the back line of the squad to type map chat commands for what the squad may be doing. Push, Left, Right, Back, Bomb, Stab, CC, Ogre Watch, SM, etc. You don't necessarily have to type out a full complete paragraph as to what the blob is doing to get the message across for those that are not in the squad. I've followed many squads that have said those things in map chat and have had no problems following those commands. When I play, I do not play thinking that somebody will follow me around being my person healbot or hand feeding me boons. I play to rely on myself and not others, if others help....great! I think a lot of other people play the same way and are not looking to intentionally leech boons and heals from blobs, like some have said that they do. Does it happen? Sure, but it's not intentional. The way I see it, the more people you have trying to do an objective the better your odds are of accomplishing that. This elitist mentality of "my way or the highway" needs to stop. We all need to get along and work together to accomplish an objective.

This way of thinking is why so many good commanders have either quit or run closed. This profound sense of entitlement is infuriating. No one is entitled to be included in anything. Everyone has to earn their spot in the group. If they cannot be bothered with that then they deserve to be excluded until they fix up or they can make their own squad.

And I'd say that your way of thinking is why WvW is slowly dying. As the game gets older and progresses, people come and go. The old timers leave because they are bored and seeking something new and different. New people, a.k.a. Casuals, come in and want to play the game and just because they don't play like the old timers and have a different way of playing they get harassed and made fun of which causes them to leave or seek out a different game as well. Now you are stuck with an old mentality of how a game should be played instead of trying to adapt and keep the game going. As I have repeatedly said, there are a lot of people that do not care to Min/Max. They just want to play a game and have fun doing it. I'm sorry. I really am. I understand that to some Min/Maxing is fun and that's how they enjoy playing the game, but to what seems to be the majority now according to what I have been reading others do not see that as fun. Instead it is tedious and boring to them. There is no challenge when you max out your ability to achieve something with the most minimal risk in return. When all you have to do is show up and push the same buttons in the same order and everything just melts in your path, that's not exciting to some. When people continue to do something over and over again and never deviate, they get bored of doing that repetitive thing and start looking for something that is more challenging in return. Why is this so hard to understand? It's more fun to some to try to take a non-meta build that isn't optimal and see if they can beat an opponent that is running a meta build that has been fine tuned. When they win, they get a rush and a sense of accomplishment. Do they always win? No. Obviously meta is meta for a reason, but it's still fun and exciting when they do.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@oOStaticOo.9467 said:

@oOStaticOo.9467 said:Here's the thing the "Casuals" basically want. Inclusion. They don't want to Min/Max Stats to get the absolute most and best DPS out of a specific character, nor have to memorize a specific rotation of skills and powers to maximize the amount of damage and sustain they can do. However, they do want to be able to participate and help out when it comes to capturing something or fighting another enemy blob. They don't want to be harassed because they don't have a specific build that is current Meta. Yet you will see people on these forums calling for player toxicity towards "Casuals". You will see them call for harassment because they aren't playing a certain way. You will see them say things like leading "Casuals" into death by fake pushing into a blob or going to a keep and standing them under AC and player fire until they die so many times they give up and quit. When all they want to do is help capture a tower, keep, or take down an enemy blob that is in the area. They want to have fun too, yet so many will deny them this fun because they aren't trying to do it the way the others want them to do it. Any "Casual" will understand if they get a message saying, "Hey buddy, look you are welcome to join the squad but as soon as we are full and another player comes on that is more what we are looking for you'll get kicked from the squad. Although you are more than welcome to follow behind us and help out if you like." It also doesn't take much to designate one person from the back line of the squad to type map chat commands for what the squad may be doing. Push, Left, Right, Back, Bomb, Stab, CC, Ogre Watch, SM, etc. You don't necessarily have to type out a full complete paragraph as to what the blob is doing to get the message across for those that are not in the squad. I've followed many squads that have said those things in map chat and have had no problems following those commands. When I play, I do not play thinking that somebody will follow me around being my person healbot or hand feeding me boons. I play to rely on myself and not others, if others help....great! I think a lot of other people play the same way and are not looking to intentionally leech boons and heals from blobs, like some have said that they do. Does it happen? Sure, but it's not intentional. The way I see it, the more people you have trying to do an objective the better your odds are of accomplishing that. This elitist mentality of "my way or the highway" needs to stop. We all need to get along and work together to accomplish an objective.

This way of thinking is why so many good commanders have either quit or run closed. This profound sense of entitlement is infuriating. No one is entitled to be included in anything. Everyone has to earn their spot in the group. If they cannot be bothered with that then they deserve to be excluded until they fix up or they can make their own squad.

And I'd say that your way of thinking is why WvW is slowly dying. As the game gets older and progresses, people come and go. The old timers leave because they are bored and seeking something new and different. New people, a.k.a. Casuals, come in and want to play the game and just because they don't play like the old timers and have a different way of playing they get harassed and made fun of which causes them to leave or seek out a different game as well. Now you are stuck with an old mentality of how a game should be played instead of trying to adapt and keep the game going. As I have repeatedly said, there are a lot of people that do not care to Min/Max. They just want to play a game and have fun doing it. I'm sorry. I really am. I understand that to some Min/Maxing is fun and that's how they enjoy playing the game, but to what seems to be the majority now according to what I have been reading others do not see that as fun. Instead it is tedious and boring to them. There is no challenge when you max out your ability to achieve something with the most minimal risk in return. When all you have to do is show up and push the same buttons in the same order and everything just melts in your path, that's not exciting to some. When people continue to do something over and over again and never deviate, they get bored of doing that repetitive thing and start looking for something that is more challenging in return. Why is this so hard to understand? It's more fun to some to try to take a non-meta build that isn't optimal and see if they can beat an opponent that is running a meta build that has been fine tuned. When they win, they get a rush and a sense of accomplishment. Do they always win? No. Obviously meta is meta for a reason, but it's still fun and exciting when they do.

What? There is no "old timers" vs. "casuals". There are many casuals who have been around a long time. There are also new players I run into all the time who inquire about how to play and want to get better.

The only part you got right is that as the game gets older there are players who leave because they are looking for new challenges. What is left is the casuals who aren't interested in getting better. They aren't even interested in organizing into a new WvW guild and I feel sorry for the new players that want to get organized who get dumped into that.

@Chaba.5410 said:

@oOStaticOo.9467 said:Here's the thing the "Casuals" basically want. Inclusion. They don't want to Min/Max Stats to get the absolute most and best DPS out of a specific character, nor have to memorize a specific rotation of skills and powers to maximize the amount of damage and sustain they can do. However, they do want to be able to participate and help out when it comes to capturing something or fighting another enemy blob. They don't want to be harassed because they don't have a specific build that is current Meta. Yet you will see people on these forums calling for player toxicity towards "Casuals". You will see them call for harassment because they aren't playing a certain way. You will see them say things like leading "Casuals" into death by fake pushing into a blob or going to a keep and standing them under AC and player fire until they die so many times they give up and quit. When all they want to do is help capture a tower, keep, or take down an enemy blob that is in the area. They want to have fun too, yet so many will deny them this fun because they aren't trying to do it the way the others want them to do it. Any "Casual" will understand if they get a message saying, "Hey buddy, look you are welcome to join the squad but as soon as we are full and another player comes on that is more what we are looking for you'll get kicked from the squad. Although you are more than welcome to follow behind us and help out if you like." It also doesn't take much to designate one person from the back line of the squad to type map chat commands for what the squad may be doing. Push, Left, Right, Back, Bomb, Stab, CC, Ogre Watch, SM, etc. You don't necessarily have to type out a full complete paragraph as to what the blob is doing to get the message across for those that are not in the squad. I've followed many squads that have said those things in map chat and have had no problems following those commands. When I play, I do not play thinking that somebody will follow me around being my person healbot or hand feeding me boons. I play to rely on myself and not others, if others help....great! I think a lot of other people play the same way and are not looking to intentionally leech boons and heals from blobs, like some have said that they do. Does it happen? Sure, but it's not intentional. The way I see it, the more people you have trying to do an objective the better your odds are of accomplishing that. This elitist mentality of "my way or the highway" needs to stop. We all need to get along and work together to accomplish an objective.

What? There is no "old timers" vs. "casuals". There are many casuals who have been around a long time. There are also new players I run into all the time who inquire about how to play and want to get better.

The only part you got right is that as the game gets older there are players who leave because they are looking for new challenges. What is left is the casuals who aren't interested in getting better.

Sigh. Once again, yes I know there are long time casuals, but I'd wager that more of the casuals we see now are new players. I also know there are new people who come in that are Min/Max mind oriented as well and want to learn how to better Min/Max their build too. My point that EVERYBODY seems to be missing, except for a few, is that Commanders need to adapt to the Casual play style as well as the Min/Max play style as well. However, from what seems to be pointed out over and over again, there is a refusal to do so. They keep on insisting that everybody else adapt to their play style, yet refuses to adapt to a more casual play style. It's a "My way or the highway" attitude. I'm not saying people can't still try to run Min/Max, what I am saying is that if you want to keep playing WvW and keep it active, inclusion and adaptation is key. You want numbers to go take a keep? Well, you better start including those filthy casuals. You want numbers to overrun a blob? Guess what, casuals. Will it be the most efficient and least time consuming way? Probably not, but it can get the job done. IF you are willing to work with what you have. If not, well then you'll just see wipe after wipe after wipe and hours upon hours of futility trying to take an objective. Play with what you have, don't expect what you have to play the way you want. That almost never happens unless you are lucky enough to find enough players to think the way you do, and when it comes to WvW I highly doubt that more than a handful will think that same way. We are talking about 100's of people from different places all over the world playing together.

@oOStaticOo.9467 said:

The only part you got right is that as the game gets older there are players who leave because they are looking for new challenges. What is left is the casuals who aren't interested in getting better.

Sigh. Once again, yes I know there are long time casuals, but I'd wager that more of the casuals we see now are new players. I also know there are new people who come in that are Min/Max mind oriented as well and want to learn how to better Min/Max their build too. My point that EVERYBODY seems to be missing, except for a few, is that Commanders need to adapt to the Casual play style as well as the Min/Max play style as well. However, from what seems to be pointed out over and over again, there is a refusal to do so. They keep on insisting that everybody else adapt to their play style, yet refuses to adapt to a more casual play style. It's a "My way or the highway" attitude. I'm not saying people can't still try to run Min/Max, what I am saying is that if you want to keep playing WvW and keep it active, inclusion and adaptation is key. You want numbers to go take a keep? Well, you better start including those filthy casuals. You want numbers to overrun a blob? Guess what, casuals. Will it be the most efficient and least time consuming way? Probably not, but it can get the job done. IF you are willing to work with what you have. If not, well then you'll just see wipe after wipe after wipe and hours upon hours of futility trying to take an objective. Play with what you have, don't expect what you have to play the way you want. That almost never happens unless you are lucky enough to find enough players to think the way you do, and when it comes to WvW I highly doubt that more than a handful will think that same way. We are talking about 100's of people from different places all over the world playing together.

And I'd wager that a lot of the casuals are not new players. Your argument implies that the majority of players you see on other servers are low WxP ranks and yet I don't see that too often. Stop making stuff up.

@Chaba.5410 said:

And I'd wager that a lot of the casuals are not new players. Your argument implies that the majority of players you see on other servers are low WxP ranks and yet I don't see that too often. Stop making stuff up.

How am I making stuff up? You can look through the posts and see where people have pointed out many times that a lot of the old players have left the game and they see a lot of new players coming in that aren't even highly ranked yet. They may not be new to the game per se, but perhaps new to WvW. You are going off of what you see, I am going off of what I see. Perhaps you are making stuff up? Just because you see a 6 and I see a 9 doesn't mean I am not right as well.

@oOStaticOo.9467 said:

How am I making stuff up? You can look through the posts and see where people have pointed out many times that a lot of the old players have left the game and they see a lot of new players coming in that aren't even highly ranked yet. They may not be new to the game per se, but perhaps new to WvW. You are going off of what you see, I am going off of what I see. Perhaps you are making stuff up? Just because you see a 6 and I see a 9 doesn't mean I am not right as well.

So what you are saying is that the majority of players you see on other servers are low rank because the majority of casuals are new players and they are in the majority compared to players who are organized and want to improve? Yes, stop making stuff up.

from a commander's who plays everyday for atleast 4 hours, it is simply this, guys.

leading is stressful. and ppl not following adds to that stress. it is bound to take a toll eventually

hence they will eventually rest on play less. or do something else.

now include irl stuff, we age, we get legendary status in real life and gain more responsibilities, so less time for raiding.

how do we upkeep this then?

support coms who lead. especially new coms. because someday that paper guy will eventually be the guy who leads to victory. in the least karma train.

thats just how it goes.

@oOStaticOo.9467 said:

I dont know on which server you are playing but you dont seem to understand that on certain servers you dont need casuals without voice chat or a meta build if you have a good/famous commander tagging up. As soon as these commanders tag up you will have a lot of veteran players joining them who know how to play and are joining voice chat. These are grps who play together and try to organize as good as possible. But there will be a massive q too from randoms who just want bags but do nothing to contribute. Instead they just die like flies if you attack a keep or tower and demand that you rezz them. These casuals just demand that you fulfill their wishes but they dont understand that they are just deadweight 95% of the time. They also refuse to follow casual commanders because what a surprise no easy bags. So the best thing you can do as a commander to get rid of these pugs is to just make lethal pushes for them or go with hidden tag so only ppl on voice chat know where you are. Btw is it really such a surprise to you that ppl wanna win in a competitive game mode?

@"oOStaticOo.9467" said:Here's the thing the "Casuals" basically want. Inclusion. They don't want to Min/Max Stats to get the absolute most and best DPS out of a specific character, nor have to memorize a specific rotation of skills and powers to maximize the amount of damage and sustain they can do. However, they do want to be able to participate and help out when it comes to capturing something or fighting another enemy blob. They don't want to be harassed because they don't have a specific build that is current Meta. Yet you will see people on these forums calling for player toxicity towards "Casuals". You will see them call for harassment because they aren't playing a certain way. You will see them say things like leading "Casuals" into death by fake pushing into a blob or going to a keep and standing them under AC and player fire until they die so many times they give up and quit. When all they want to do is help capture a tower, keep, or take down an enemy blob that is in the area. They want to have fun too, yet so many will deny them this fun because they aren't trying to do it the way the others want them to do it. Any "Casual" will understand if they get a message saying, "Hey buddy, look you are welcome to join the squad but as soon as we are full and another player comes on that is more what we are looking for you'll get kicked from the squad. Although you are more than welcome to follow behind us and help out if you like." It also doesn't take much to designate one person from the back line of the squad to type map chat commands for what the squad may be doing. Push, Left, Right, Back, Bomb, Stab, CC, Ogre Watch, SM, etc. You don't necessarily have to type out a full complete paragraph as to what the blob is doing to get the message across for those that are not in the squad. I've followed many squads that have said those things in map chat and have had no problems following those commands. When I play, I do not play thinking that somebody will follow me around being my person healbot or hand feeding me boons. I play to rely on myself and not others, if others help....great! I think a lot of other people play the same way and are not looking to intentionally leech boons and heals from blobs, like some have said that they do. Does it happen? Sure, but it's not intentional. The way I see it, the more people you have trying to do an objective the better your odds are of accomplishing that. This elitist mentality of "my way or the highway" needs to stop. We all need to get along and work together to accomplish an objective.

No, actually, commanders do NOT have to be inclusionist. That is, actually, part of why this discussion even exists. They can choose to run tagless, or NOT TAG UP AT ALL. And a group of 30 in voice using correct comp is DECIDEDLY better than your group of 70 casuals. Our group of 30 will take that keep. And once in awhile, we'll come up against ANOTHER group of 30 and oh that is fun, even when we lose.

I've experienced both sides. I was once that filthy casual but oh, how I have seen the difference and it is worth worth worth the extra effort to engage in the weekly theory-crafting on most effective build(grav well or time warp? Veil or condi cleanse or portal? Staff or focus? etc). It is worth worth worth the training with watch togethers(Why the kitten were you way over there when we pushed? You're out of boons, no wonder you died, because you died, you provided no stab, no stab, your squad died, your squad died, we died.) it is eye-opening to experience the difference between a smoothly run squad and the EXACT SAME PEOPLE without voice and running whatever class they want(we tried it one day when discord was acting up).

I am literally to the point now where the difference is so ginormously vast that I WILL NOT run with a zerg and not be in voice. I am even somewhat approaching the 'only run with my guild or our allies' since as a creature of habit I am getting to know their habits and I like them. I listened in to another server's open raid. With only 7 people in their teamspeak. And I watched. And I watched as that group constantly ignored what the commander typed. They did take a few towers. A few camps. The person I was watching got their 195 participation. And it was like chalk on a blackboard to see that com being treated so poorly. When they tried for a keep, as it was a daily, they got one pushed by fewer people with arrow carts and called it a day. Worse, they then pipped down on an outnumbered map instead of Obsidian Sanctum, so if another organized group WANTED in they couldn't get in.

But to say that commanders HAVE to take casuals is not true. And is, in my opinion, definitely why there are fewer commanders. They don't want to, and they cannot be MADE to do what they don't want, just as casuals cannot be MADE to play a different class. It does work both ways.

@Chaba.5410 said:

So what you are saying is that the majority of players you see on other servers are low rank because the majority of casuals are new players and they are in the majority compared to players who are organized and want to improve? Yes, stop making stuff up.

Okay, you got me. All I do is just make stuff up. You win.

Obviously my mistake here is in thinking that I can have a logical discussion on the internet. I forget that arguments on the internet are stupid. Nobody will ever change their point of view because their point of view is the only point of view that is correct. I get it. I am wrong. You are all right. Good job. I will now take my leave and let you think you won the day and are the voice of reason. Have fun playing.

@oOStaticOo.9467 said:

I don't really care what the majority thinks or doesn't think. From a practical perspective there is a right way to play gw2 and a wrong way to play gw2 assuming the goal is actually to win fights.

The problem with so called "casuals" is that they usually want all the benefits that come from playing properly and winning fights and by extension taking objectives but they don't want to do the work required to actually play properly and win fights and by extension take objectives.

They want the payoff without doing the work required to get the payoff. Even worse they get mad at anyone who points this out to them aka "elitist commanders." It's like a fat person who wants to be fit but won't exercise or eat healthier EDIT: and gets mad at anyone who tells them "hey maybe don't eat so much and start exercising."

So to casuals I say ok do whatever you want but don't be surprised when you lose over and over and over and none of the people doing the right stuff want anything to do with you.

@"Israel.7056" said:I don't really care what the majority thinks or doesn't think. From a practical perspective there is a right way to play gw2 and a wrong way to play gw2 assuming the goal is actually to win fights.

The problem with so called "casuals" is that they usually want all the benefits that come from playing properly and winning fights and by extension taking objectives but they don't want to do the work required to actually play properly and win fights and by extension take objectives.

They want the payoff without doing the work required to get the payoff. Even worse they get mad at anyone who points this out to them aka "elitist commanders." It's like a fat person who wants to be fit but won't exercise or eat healthier EDIT: and gets mad at anyone who tells them "hey maybe don't eat so much and start exercising."

So to casuals I say ok do whatever you want but don't be surprised when you lose over and over and over and none of the people doing the right stuff want anything to do with you.

Agreed to most of this, But I also know that this is generalizing. Yes a lot of casuals are like this but there's still that chunk of "casuals" who want to learn and don't actually get to learn because of this stereotype. I want to work for my payoff. But I don't get to. Because by now all the other casuals ruined it for the people like me who actually want to contribute to the squad running at that moment, even if its for just one day. I've explained it many times in this thread and I'm tired of having to say it over and over again.Not all casuals leech. But perhaps if you started explaining how to improve, and yes i read the "commanders have no time to explain casuals how to be better at WvW while commanding". Then still there would be enough people in the squad at that moment, able to chat. Or even on the forums like this, or in lion's arch, or you name it, nobody said it had to be the commander specifically. Ofcourse it would be best for us if the commander at that point explained their preferences because every commander has their own way of commanding. It doesn't need to be in the chat, it could even be in a squad message.I'm in no way saying the WvW community at this point should cater to us casuals. But you could atleast give us a chance of actually wanting to be better and participate like everyone else, you could atleast accept those who are trying instead of pile us in with the rest of the casuals who really leech.

Also not as a direct attack to you but i really wish people in this thread would start reading what people are saying instead of selective reading and then take everything out of context because i'm real tired of that too.

@"oOStaticOo.9467" said:Obviously my mistake here is in thinking that I can have a logical discussion on the internet. I forget that arguments on the internet are stupid. Nobody will ever change their point of view because their point of view is the only point of view that is correct. I get it. I am wrong. You are all right. Good job. I will now take my leave and let you think you won the day and are the voice of reason. Have fun playing.

So you thought saying "I'd wager that more of the casuals we see now are new players" based on forum posts rather than based on an enumeration of the WxP ranks of enemies was logical?

@"MauChann.3081" said:Not all casuals leech. But perhaps if you started explaining how to improve, and yes i read the "commanders have no time to explain casuals how to be better at WvW while commanding". Then still there would be enough people in the squad at that moment, able to chat. Or even on the forums like this, or in lion's arch, or you name it, nobody said it had to be the commander specifically. Ofcourse it would be best for us if the commander at that point explained their preferences because every commander has their own way of commanding. It doesn't need to be in the chat, it could even be in a squad message.I'm in no way saying the WvW community at this point should cater to us casuals. But you could atleast give us a chance of actually wanting to be better and participate like everyone else, you could atleast accept those who are trying instead of pile us in with the rest of the casuals who really leech.

But there ARE resources given out. Metabattle website gets pointed out again and again and again. Server communities will often also have a discord or forum where builds are given, questions answered. Who do you think wrote these resources? People who truly want to learn will utilize these resources and ask questions.

@MauChann.3081 said:

@"Israel.7056" said:I don't really care what the majority thinks or doesn't think. From a practical perspective there is a right way to play gw2 and a wrong way to play gw2 assuming the goal is actually to win fights.

Agreed to most of this, But I also know that this is generalizing. Yes a lot of casuals are like this but there's still that chunk of "casuals" who want to learn and don't actually get to learn because of this stereotype. I want to work for my payoff. But I don't get to. Because by now all the other casuals ruined it for the people like me who actually want to contribute to the squad running at that moment, even if its for just one day. I've explained it many times in this thread and I'm tired of having to say it over and over again.Not all casuals leech. But perhaps if you started explaining how to improve, and yes i read the "commanders have no time to explain casuals how to be better at WvW while commanding". Then still there would be enough people in the squad at that moment, able to chat. Or even on the forums like this, or in lion's arch, or you name it, nobody said it had to be the commander specifically. Ofcourse it would be best for us if the commander at that point explained their preferences because every commander has their own way of commanding. It doesn't need to be in the chat, it could even be in a squad message.I'm in no way saying the WvW community at this point should cater to us casuals. But you could atleast give us a chance of actually wanting to be better and participate like everyone else, you could atleast accept those who are trying instead of pile us in with the rest of the casuals who really leech.

Also not as a direct attack to you but i really wish people in this thread would start reading what people are saying instead of selective reading and then take everything out of context because i'm real tired of that too.

Ok fair enough. Yes I'm generalizing somewhat. The term "casual" is also nebulous. Originally I think it just referred to average playtime. Now I think it's used to describe people who just want to leech.

Everyone starts out terrible and gets better over time, myself included I get that. But I also know from my own experience that getting better doesn't happen randomly.

If you're not sure about your build ask someone you respect. Read guides watch videos and streams if they're available. Study the game learn the meta. Put in the time to think about your play sessions. Anyone can get good with enough time and practice.

Also get in coms regularly if your server has coms. Talk to the commanders get to know their playstyle.

All these things bridge the gap between "casual" and whatever comes between casual and elite. It's doable for anyone but as I said before everyone wants bags and captures relatively few want to do the work needed to get those bags and captures.

@Chaba.5410 said:

@"oOStaticOo.9467" said:Obviously my mistake here is in thinking that I can have a logical discussion on the internet. I forget that arguments on the internet are stupid. Nobody will ever change their point of view because their point of view is the only point of view that is correct. I get it. I am wrong. You are all right. Good job. I will now take my leave and let you think you won the day and are the voice of reason. Have fun playing.

So you thought saying "I'd wager that more of the casuals we see now are new players" based on forum posts rather than based on an enumeration of the WxP ranks of enemies was logical?

You right. You da man. Good job. Way to show me. slow clap

@oOStaticOo.9467 said:

@oOStaticOo.9467 said:Obviously my mistake here is in thinking that I can have a logical discussion on the internet. I forget that arguments on the internet are stupid. Nobody will ever change their point of view because their point of view is the only point of view that is correct. I get it. I am wrong. You are all right. Good job. I will now take my leave and let you think you won the day and are the voice of reason. Have fun playing.

You right. You da man. Good job. Way to show me.
slow clap

You are back already.....

@Garrus.7403 said:

@oOStaticOo.9467 said:Obviously my mistake here is in thinking that I can have a logical discussion on the internet. I forget that arguments on the internet are stupid. Nobody will ever change their point of view because their point of view is the only point of view that is correct. I get it. I am wrong. You are all right. Good job. I will now take my leave and let you think you won the day and are the voice of reason. Have fun playing.

slow clap

You are back already.....

Yup. You right too. smiles and nods

@oOStaticOo.9467 said:

slow clap

If you wanted a logical discussion on the internet, no need to get so dramatic when others also use logic. /shrug

@Ari.5392 said:

@"Etheri.5406" said:No, there are plenty of players who are willing to play with the group and I don't mind any of them. I literally lead for pugs and I didn't mind 10% casuals following a group. Unfortunately as the game for veteran / hardcore players is dying and the amount of casuals, relatively, definitely increased this isn't hte case anymore. Since then even for our "very toxic" server we ask nothing but two things. Bring a build / class we approve of and come to discord. And frankly i almost never kick players for not being in discord.

I play pve myself, there are plenty of pve players and I don't expect players to be experienced or good. I expect them to be willing to do what the team needs; not necessarily what they want. I'm not naive enough to think that everyone that plays PvE must play their ranger. I do think it's a larger amount. Also plenty of WvW hardcore casuals that don't come into PvE, but still aren't joining my raids ;)

What server do you play on then? I always play a scourge, which is what most WvW squads want, one big problem I see though is that every squad I ask still uses teamspeak.. I really wonder why since discord is what everyone uses these days and it's a much better communication tool. I do main a ranger in PvE though and I know WvW doesn't like rangers so I don't bring mine already because of y'all not approving of that. And that's perfectly fine to me!

This etheri is on wsr

Nah he's on lowly tier 4 Vabbi that is the point - moaning because he can't rule the server

How can I rule the server if it belongs to someone else? ;)But truthfully, I'd say vabbi works out quite nicely. I can play when I please, whatever I please, whenever I please and people will let me. Look I'm the perfect casual.

@Chaba.5410 said:

@Dami.5046 said:Maybe you should let us know what builds you want. Because until Anet allow you to check other people's gear, the only way would be to spam it. Then you wouldn't know what other skills they have so you would have no idea if they are running a complete Meta build. And I doubt you will sit there while people spam their gear at you either.Sorry mods but this kind of 'wanting a certain build' is nothing short of trolling.

There are more then enough Sites to look up Meta builds lol

Not what I meant, LOL. You cannot guess what build a character has just by looking.

Well if the guy, for example, is on a guardian and you see the weapons he has equipped or during a fight you see the scepter animations, you can be sure he's not on a WvW meta build.

TLDR; it is a lot easier to tell just by looking than you think.

"My build isn't bad"

• thief with 4 signets-druid with 4 signets-guard with ferocity stacking sigil :trollface: or stars (celestial stacking) or toughness stacking sigils...-"I am support" - DH

Yeah I'll just kick them already mkay.

@oOStaticOo.9467 said:

Sigh. Once again, yes I know there are long time casuals, but I'd wager that more of the casuals we see now are new players. I also know there are new people who come in that are Min/Max mind oriented as well and want to learn how to better Min/Max their build too. My point that EVERYBODY seems to be missing, except for a few, is that Commanders need to adapt to the Casual play style as well as the Min/Max play style as well. However, from what seems to be pointed out over and over again, there is a refusal to do so. They keep on insisting that everybody else adapt to their play style, yet refuses to adapt to a more casual play style.

Oh really? You think comms don't lead 5 times slower the moment they lead with pugs?You think comms don't know we need to explain the very very basics?You think comms don't do their best to keep calls simple, explain stuff, keep everyone entertained and morale up?Because frankly if you played like a half decent pug in a proper hardcore guild you'd be kicked for slacking and being bad 24/7.

And no - we do not need to adapt to your level of casual. You see there's a HUGE amount of players willing to join commanders... because there's no commanders left.Do you think anyone struggles to find players for their group? If you're half decent at commanding you can get a queue on ANY eu server during prime without issues. Getting a monoblob is NOT difficult. Getting so much as 50% of your monoblob willing to actually play as a group? Now that's insanely difficult.

It's a "My way or the highway" attitude. I'm not saying people can't still try to run Min/Max, what I am saying is that if you want to keep playing WvW and keep it active, inclusion and adaptation is key.

No, you can go fix your issues yourself. We'll play how we enjoy or we'll quit as all other comms have done and you'll have even less. I and most comms play to play and interact with the players who they can rely on. The ones who will talk to them and have fun with them. To have laughs on voice when we win, or wipe. Not for the casual who's too casual to interact with us, but still has the time to log in and stalk us around on their ranger daily. Which they obviously can't gear because ???

You want numbers to go take a keep? Well, you better start including those filthy casuals.

You've obviously never lead. If you want that keep, the key is to MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT HAVE THOSE FILTHY CASUALS. They will die to ACs and you're better off 40v50 than 50v50 with 10 guys who simply die. If they are NOT listening to you, it's better if they are NOT THERE. Honestly I rather have them nowhere near me than "look mum i'm helping" but playing so badly they're helping the enemies.

You want numbers to overrun a blob? Guess what, casuals.

Again... The moment you have a half decent commander you get hundreds of players willing to follow, especially around prime. I get it, this sounds crazy to you. why would anyone want to follow an elitist? Except right... there are no good comms anymore. Most servers have a few at best unless they're stacked with guilds. If a good comm comes out, the issue is NOT getting players. The issue is getting all the casuals that wanna follow OFF your map, so you can get decent players in ;)

Will it be the most efficient and least time consuming way? Probably not, but it can get the job done. IF you are willing to work with what you have. If not, well then you'll just see wipe after wipe after wipe and hours upon hours of futility trying to take an objective.

No, playing with casuals who refuse to improve but insist they're "helping you" take that keep is what makes you wipe after wipe after wipe after wipe until you either hardcarry them 30v70 or you ragequit. If you ahdn't noticed, most comms prefer to ragequit and go to servers either without these casuals or avoid tagging.

Play with what you have, don't expect what you have to play the way you want. That almost never happens unless you are lucky enough to find enough players to think the way you do, and when it comes to WvW I highly doubt that more than a handful will think that same way. We are talking about 100's of people from different places all over the world playing together.

No. If you want players to play for and with you, lead you, organise for you, then make it worthwhile for them. Make them want to. If not, deal with the issues that arise yourself. I didn't mind 10% casuals, but now that it's 50% or 0% I'll choose 0% and kick every snowflake that runs a build or spec I don't approve of. "WvW is dying because you don't include casuals" lul. Casuals are the ones that killed half the communities in EU by overrunning them, and frankly the communities should have just been way more toxic to them for self-preservation ;)

@MauChann.3081 said:

I will say this again, there is nobody against people who want to improve no matter how "casual" they are. But you need to be willing to listen and adapt.

If you follow a LEAD aka commander - especially if you want or expect one see : this thread literally asking where the commanders are - then you follow their commands. You don't go follow a leader then say "you can't tell me what to do, I'm a strong independent casual pug!". Surely you understand that much.

We can talk about elitist and builds but i'm not asking for gearping, repping a GvG guild, having UD title and at least 2k rank. I'm quite literally asking players to ... run a build that isn't visibily garbage and to join discord and listen. And that last part? I rarely kick players for not being in discord. It's more that I ask them to do stuff, and if i need space in squad for players in discord I'll kick the ones that don't follow my instructions and thus aren't listening.

If you're against us calling these players casuals; then sorry but it's frankly the most apt term to use even if these players aren't casual. I'd use special snowflake but people cry about that even more.

Once upon a time I was on a RP casual dominated server. These weren't players that don't play the game much, in the usual sense of the word casual. They're hardcore casuals, the worst kind. They even had dedicated guilds and an organised core on this server... But they hated improving. They're rather busy playing differently, and that is OK.

Except where during our raids, they'd play awful stuff. They'd also constantly tell the pugs to play their stuff pretending it's better. They also tell the pugs not to listen to us if w tell them they did something bad, certain specs or builds shouldn't be ran and they should join us on voice. After 6 months, we left this quite active server with a very large casual population with the same group for a FULLY DEAD SERVER. A server linked with absolutely NO players.

Turns out 30-40 players willing to play together and improve was, quite literally, way better than having 200 extra casual pugs. Especially considering the BLATANT TOXICITY of the casual RP server. What else can I call their core, guild players constantly telling all pugs to follow us while ignoring EVERYTHING we say? What did they expect to happen? As we left virtually every player on the server had to choose : continue strictly casual or play to improve.

Those same players now recommend their pugs to port to spawn as soon as they see our guild tags to avoid giving us bags. But after a good 6 months of us being gone, they finally realised we understand what we're talking about and they adopted our builds... Altho it quite literally required us to go to a different server and repeatedly kill them before they realised their theorycraft wasn't worth anything and they were better off copy pasting whatever we gave them.

It's OK to be casual. It's OK to want to play different. It's not OK to insist following groups while refusing to respect their way of play. It's not OK to tell others to do the same. It's also not OK to not be willing to adapt to others. And for the love of god, if you're casual and not interested in minmaxing don't spam questionable builds as "great for pugs" and "better than meta!!!" as if its some kind of buzzfeed clickbait.

Sure I can be pretty toxic. I'm sorry but the moment a person with 5k+ rank suggests core ele (NOT tempest) without ANY auras to run powerful aura AND radiance runes (???) with cleric runes during HoT while claiming "it's better and more survivable for pugs" it's pretty difficult for me not to tell them what I think. And what I think involves a lot of kittens ;)

NOBODY is against casuals who want to adapt and improve. Except that's not really the average casual. If that's not you - great. You'll have no issues joining groups or feeling welcome. It's a simple selection mechanism - and we can select as much as we like because there is a near-infinite supply of pugs for the remaining commanders.

Archived