What happened to Commanders?

Rimu.7105

@MauChann.3081 said:I get it, guilds want to get better, if they play at all, without pugs.Don't get mad at us, get mad at anet for forcing pugs to play WvW. We literally have no other option to get legendary weapons besides play WvW. And yes solo roaming flipping stuff is very boring content. WvW players would say the same about mapcompletion.Can't there be 2 completely separate tracks to make a legendary weapon. I think both sides of the game are tired of being forced to play a certain thing to get a shiny.

Can't we really all team up and start a petition against that?

I'm personally very tired of WvW guilds being so elitist and I know you all rather not have us random pugs in WvW, trust me, we don't want to be there either but we simply have no choice. Back in the day we could buy our Gifts of Battle with farming achievement points, no one was complaining. I bet core WvW players are very happy with the way it is now since you love your reward tracks, but like everything, there always is a downside and in this case it's giving you a bad image. A lot of core PVE players already think WvW is toxic simply because of the attitude you have against us, Again. We don't want to bother you either. We just want our Gifts of Battle.

For the Gift of Exploration, I don't really know an alternative, besides maybe complete the WvW maps but those are 4 maps, which of 2 are exactly the same, and idk if you want to count Eotm. That's 5 maps in total, that doesn't weigh up against the amount of PvE maps and thus a bit of an unfair change. Maybe another reward track or something, or a currency you get from exploring the wvw maps and that might include having to discover an entire map multiple times to get that currency.

I really wish it would change too, just so we can stop hating eachother. Besides that I've always said I'm willing to join a WvW guild based in the server I'm in, as long they don't treat me as a core WvW player, I'd love to help out in the way you guys want whenever I have need for it, but I don't want to be forced to change my entire playstyle over it. And because of that I haven't found a single guild yet who was even friendly enough to help me out for just a few hours to complete that darned reward track, without yelling at me for playing the game wrong.

Let's just point our anger at the game and hope we get listened to, instead of throwing it at eachother. There is not going to be any change on short term. Perhaps if we yell at anet hard enough they'll change it, so we don't need to bother eachother in gamemodes we don't like again.

So.. it comes down to having to do WvW for 8 hours MAX...

You won't get sympathy in here for that. If you want the shiny, do the time.

I've done GoE 9 times despite hating it. Because I've wanted the shiny.

You want an easier path, then go into the General Discussions area and start a thread advocating for WvW rank 2000 + players to be able to use WvW map completion to get the GoE. Thenwhen that changes, I would be willing to advocate for a return to the old method of getting GoB.

Otherwise, play solo, because that is how you want to play.

Oh you want to follow the tag and get the tags/squads boons and benefits, but you do not want to bring what benefits the squad.

It's a very selfish playstyle.

And if this is sooo painful to do, then outfit ONE toon for it. Make it a scourge/rev/firebrand, learn what is helpful and when you are 'forced' (lmao) into doing WvW, bring THAT toon to do it.

And please, for the love of all that is good, stop complaining about something that is so simple.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@MauChann.3081 said:

@"Etheri.5406" said:Yeah, tough luck. Most "WvW players" are now core PvE players looking to follow and easy bags. There are really more core pve players in wvw looking for someone to help them out - of course only on their terms and only when they're winning - than there are dedicated wvw players left. And half the wvw players left are also too "casual" to want to work together. Altho I wonder how you get 2k+ wvw rank as "casual", let me just casually play a few thousand hours.

And if you ask them anything, they don't. So after a while people learned, just like in fractals and raids and everywhere else, that if you want to play organised with actual comps you gotta kick all the players who don't want to adapt. If that's all core pve players, then that's too bad.

I often enough ask if I need to change class for a commander to be let in and be along for just a few hours to get that reward track done and be out again. Now I see why I never get a polite answer back, apparently majority of the commanders assume I'm just there to tag along for free loot and not listen. I don't want to have to explain myself every single time I go in WvW if the time comes to make a legendary again. I always say I want to adapt. I always ask if they want to help me if I give something in return in terms of doing a certain job in a squad like scouting. I might not be very good at it but in the hours I am playing the mode I don't want to play, I atleast want to be useful for both parties involved.

Looks like I'm the only PvE player like it then..

And that is the crux of the whole thing. It's automatically assumed that any "Casual" is hyper toxic and needs to be shunned and ridiculed into never playing again, when I find that most of them are actually willing to listen and bug off if needed. Sometimes people can't switch professions because they do not have that profession. Sometimes they can't switch gear because they do not have that gear. Sometimes they can't be on Discord or TS because of various reasons. Yet as soon as that happens they become the enemy. Legendaries are lengthy to acquire, so it's not easy for a person to just change their gear as needed. Even Ascended takes a while to get, and then if change needs to be made it takes a lot of gold to do so. People seem to think that it's just super easy to go bring whatever someone wants, when it's not. Yet they are the problem when they can't.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

Oh you want to follow the tag and get the tags/squads boons and benefits, but you do not want to bring what benefits the squad.

And if this is sooo painful to do, then outfit ONE toon for it. Make it a scourge/rev/firebrand, learn what is helpful and when you are 'forced' (lmao) into doing WvW, bring THAT toon to do it.

And please, for the love of all that is good, stop complaining about something that is so simple.

I didn't realize majority of the PvE community wasn't like me. When I play WvW I play a scourge. I always ask if there's something I can do, like scout. or if there's enough scourges I ask if there's something else I can play. I always ask, but never get an answer, or most of the times if I even get one it's phrased horribly rude. I'm not a villain here, neither are you. I think we've both just experienced the bad side of either community. Besides that I always bring food, like mango pies, and hero banners to WvW. I do whatever necessary to make those 8 hours as comfortable as possible.But it's not like any of you guys will notice that huh (;

@oOStaticOo.9467 said:

@"Etheri.5406" said:Yeah, tough luck. Most "WvW players" are now core PvE players looking to follow and easy bags. There are really more core pve players in wvw looking for someone to help them out - of course only on their terms and only when they're winning - than there are dedicated wvw players left. And half the wvw players left are also too "casual" to want to work together. Altho I wonder how you get 2k+ wvw rank as "casual", let me just casually play a few thousand hours.

And if you ask them anything, they don't. So after a while people learned, just like in fractals and raids and everywhere else, that if you want to play organised with actual comps you gotta kick all the players who don't want to adapt. If that's all core pve players, then that's too bad.

I often enough ask if I need to change class for a commander to be let in and be along for just a few hours to get that reward track done and be out again. Now I see why I never get a polite answer back, apparently majority of the commanders assume I'm just there to tag along for free loot and not listen. I don't want to have to explain myself every single time I go in WvW if the time comes to make a legendary again. I always say I want to adapt. I always ask if they want to help me if I give something in return in terms of doing a certain job in a squad like scouting. I might not be very good at it but in the hours I am playing the mode I don't want to play, I atleast want to be useful for both parties involved.

And that is the crux of the whole thing. It's automatically assumed that any "Casual" is hyper toxic and needs to be shunned and ridiculed into never playing again, when I find that most of them are actually willing to listen and bug off if needed. Sometimes people can't switch professions because they do not have that profession. Sometimes they can't switch gear because they do not have that gear. Sometimes they can't be on Discord or TS because of various reasons. Yet as soon as that happens they become the enemy. Legendaries are lengthy to acquire, so it's not easy for a person to just change their gear as needed. Even Ascended takes a while to get, and then if change needs to be made it takes a lot of gold to do so. People seem to think that it's just super easy to go bring whatever someone wants, when it's not. Yet they are the problem when they can't.

Level a Necro. It isn't hard. It's been a part of the Meta in WvW pretty much since the start.

Let it collect dust until you need it for the shiny.

And please don't tell me a dedicated PvE player can't afford exotic armor..

Even those of us in WvW where the rewards are pitiful can.

@MauChann.3081 said:

I didn't realize majority of the PvE community wasn't like me. When I play WvW I play a scourge. I always ask if there's something I can do, like scout. or if there's enough scourges I ask if there's something else I can play. I always ask, but never get an answer, or most of the times if I even get one it's phrased horribly rude. I'm not a villain here, neither are you. I think we've both just experienced the bad side of either community. Besides that I always bring food, like mango pies, and hero banners to WvW. I do whatever necessary to make those 8 hours as comfortable as possible.But it's not like any of you guys will notice that huh (;

Rarely seen a scourge get asked to bug off.

And rarely have seen a core Meta class get shunned.

Makes me wonder something else is the issue?

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

Level a Necro. It isn't hard. It's been a part of the Meta in WvW pretty much since the start.

Exotic Armor doesn't have all the Meta traits though, unless it is Zerker. Exotic Armor doesn't have quite the same stats as Ascended or Legendary. Be real, a person with Ascended and Legendary has more survivability than a person with Exotic does. Yes you can play with Exotic, but you are playing at a disadvantage.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

Perhaps its the closemindedness of most commanders. Or maybe they just really prefer me being in their guild, or install teamspeak ( seriously why would you still use teamspeak when everyone has discord and discord is 10 times better ). I always say I do have discord and I'm willing to come on discord, but looks like majority of squads I encounter in Piken Square don't use it. Which is very odd to me! Because on the forums I always see people speak about discord being the #1 communication tool!

@oOStaticOo.9467 said:

Exotic Armor doesn't have all the Meta traits though, unless it is Zerker. Exotic Armor doesn't have quite the same stats as Ascended or Legendary. Be real, a person with Ascended and Legendary has more survivability than a person with Exotic does. Yes you can play with Exotic, but you are playing at a disadvantage.

Of course. But scourge Meta is 'zerk'? Not the last time I looked but meh.

If you are looking at WvW long term then of course you want ascended or legendary. If you just want GoB, it won't matter and you will have use to the Zerg. Which, quite honestly is the point. A symbiotic relationship is what is needed.

Any time a parasite is found, it's going to be eliminated.

@MauChann.3081 said:

No, there are plenty of players who are willing to play with the group and I don't mind any of them. I literally lead for pugs and I didn't mind 10% casuals following a group. Unfortunately as the game for veteran / hardcore players is dying and the amount of casuals, relatively, definitely increased this isn't hte case anymore. Since then even for our "very toxic" server we ask nothing but two things. Bring a build / class we approve of and come to discord. And frankly i almost never kick players for not being in discord.

I play pve myself, there are plenty of pve players and I don't expect players to be experienced or good. I expect them to be willing to do what the team needs; not necessarily what they want. I'm not naive enough to think that everyone that plays PvE must play their ranger. I do think it's a larger amount. Also plenty of WvW hardcore casuals that don't come into PvE, but still aren't joining my raids ;)

@MauChann.3081 said:

Perhaps its the closemindedness of most commanders. Or maybe they just really prefer me being in their guild, or install teamspeak ( seriously why would you still use teamspeak when everyone has discord and discord is 10 times better ). I always say I do have discord and I'm willing to come on discord, but looks like majority of squads I encounter in Piken Square don't use it. Which is very odd to me! Because on the forums I always see people speak about discord being the #1 communication tool!

Then you have thre options then:-install TS-move servers-run solo.

There are options. If the majority uses something and you disagree, that is your right, but they don't need to allow you to get the benefits of a squad.

@"Etheri.5406" said:No, there are plenty of players who are willing to play with the group and I don't mind any of them. I literally lead for pugs and I didn't mind 10% casuals following a group. Unfortunately as the game for veteran / hardcore players is dying and the amount of casuals, relatively, definitely increased this isn't hte case anymore. Since then even for our "very toxic" server we ask nothing but two things. Bring a build / class we approve of and come to discord. And frankly i almost never kick players for not being in discord.

I play pve myself, there are plenty of pve players and I don't expect players to be experienced or good. I expect them to be willing to do what the team needs; not necessarily what they want. I'm not naive enough to think that everyone that plays PvE must play their ranger. I do think it's a larger amount. Also plenty of WvW hardcore casuals that don't come into PvE, but still aren't joining my raids ;)

What server do you play on then? I always play a scourge, which is what most WvW squads want, one big problem I see though is that every squad I ask still uses teamspeak.. I really wonder why since discord is what everyone uses these days and it's a much better communication tool. I do main a ranger in PvE though and I know WvW doesn't like rangers so I don't bring mine already because of y'all not approving of that. And that's perfectly fine to me!

@MauChann.3081 said:

@"Etheri.5406" said:No, there are plenty of players who are willing to play with the group and I don't mind any of them. I literally lead for pugs and I didn't mind 10% casuals following a group. Unfortunately as the game for veteran / hardcore players is dying and the amount of casuals, relatively, definitely increased this isn't hte case anymore. Since then even for our "very toxic" server we ask nothing but two things. Bring a build / class we approve of and come to discord. And frankly i almost never kick players for not being in discord.

What server do you play on then? I always play a scourge, which is what most WvW squads want, one big problem I see though is that every squad I ask still uses teamspeak.. I really wonder why since discord is what everyone uses these days and it's a much better communication tool. I do main a ranger in PvE though and I know WvW doesn't like rangers so I don't bring mine already because of y'all not approving of that. And that's perfectly fine to me!

This etheri is on wsr

@MauChann.3081 said:

IMO discord is actually crap for overall server coms compared to TS because many guilds/groups use free discord. You cant be on two discord channels at once and talk independantly on them. You can however be on discord with friends and on TS with the blue com at the same time and just have discord mute key on the same key as TS push to talk while having voice activation on discord.

If the server used discord my small guild would probably not even join on voice most of the time and would just be another voiceless group of pugs. Not that we'd hurt by it, but you know they'd complain of course.

@"oOStaticOo.9467" said:Here's the thing the "Casuals" basically want. Inclusion. They don't want to Min/Max Stats to get the absolute most and best DPS out of a specific character, nor have to memorize a specific rotation of skills and powers to maximize the amount of damage and sustain they can do. However, they do want to be able to participate and help out when it comes to capturing something or fighting another enemy blob.

Most people, when they have a desire to help with something, will ask, "What do I need to do and how can I do it?", not "Don't tell me how to do it!"

TLDR; your argument for why people don't run meta builds makes no sense.

@"MauChann.3081" said:The generic PvE community is very accepting and I do agree that high tier fractals and raid communities are about as toxic as core WvW communities are.

So the common thread isn't "X players are toxic", but that the content requires a higher level of group coordination - you even see this in the so-called generic PvE community when people fail a map meta. WvW is a strange place because it has content that requires a higher level of group coordination mixed in with content that does not so players get confused and argue about "muh playstyles."

It's amusing how this thread has spiralled into a nonsensical cycle of casual players wanting the WvW gift and certain servers' or their commanders' standardized builds. Is that even relevant to any fruitful discussion here?

GiftsLike, if you're only there for the gift, go do your thing. Grab a couple of friends and run around capping camps and towers. No one will mind what you play or how you play it. You can effortlessly avoid the demands and expectations of everyone around you and just go have fun with your handful of friends. Most commanders care very little about occassional camps and towers changing hands. If someone does come to save whatever objective you're PvE'ing it's more likely to be a small group like your own and, god forbid, you might actually see some fun out of that in the game mode. The gift will come. Why care about commanders? You don't need them to get the gift, you just need some initiative. Why is it even a discussion? I doesn't have to be, go do you!

Pickup qualityLikewise as far as commanders and pickup quality goes that's also a largely irrelevant discussion beyond the glaring fact that the game mode sees fewer and fewer guilds. Few servers and the old guild commanders on them cared about pickup quality in the past because you had a core of your own guys and reliable friends to make up the bulk of your squad. It didn't matter too much if you had a swath of rally bots making up some kind of tail back then for most intents and purposes. Facing a group that was so well composed that you needed all hands on deck to compete was fairly rare throughout the week and usually reserved for reset/event nights when opposing servers organized to get something specific going. Most days of the week though the maps saw a spread of content where you could easily do most stuff with a solid core and some additional bodies that you could simply let do their own thing.

SymptomsAs has been noted over and over, the recent issues with group composition only appeared once guilds leaving had hit some critical mass where commanders simply did not have enough old friends around them to do their thing, have their fun and largely ignore the surroundings. This makes things more difficult for commanders today because they need non-affiliated players to a higher degree and what made them more generous in the past was simply that they didn't have to worry about those players as much. They could just tag along for the ride to a higher degree. People who clamour about the past while say that anything past the 25-man with focus-party meta has been a death rattle but the reality is that these issues are almost exclusively PoF issues (even if HoT had issues they were adressed and only came and went in periods).

DiscourseThat is one fairly important aspect of why the constant neglect or even outright discouragement of guilds in this game has lead to some rather negative results by now. It has affected the environment we play in. It is interesting to talk about actually, how taking away a sufficent amount of players you could rely on has affected the margin of generousity a commander can admit for everyone else. The game mode surely had its issues to deal with in the past too, make no mistake. However, it was far more self sustainable about just grabbing your friends and doing your thing - regardless if you were going for a gift or had an open night with your GvG friends. That content-emergent balance is off at the moment.

Positive ripplesThe way to turn things around is obviously to design things that can cause ripple effects in the other direction. Mainly looking at things that incentivize guild play because guilds are not only a natural part of the game mode that create content on their own. Their content obviously also ripple out to everyone else through open tag nights and the like. Similarily, alot of people talk about splitting balance for WvW. I'd say it's much easier and better to do it for instanced PvE. I've made a remark about it in the past: The game's original modes (open world PvE and open world WvW) work quite well together. It is raids with its set numbers and things like high-end fractals that require very specific and detailed balance that don't mesh well with open worlds and group scaling. WvW balance has little to do with sPvP, speed runs and raid wings. However, the same goes for the run-of-the-mill content on normal world maps. If there is to be specific balancing that is better done on instanced specific modes with less overall balance complexity. That is one way to save work-hours.

Ed. I felt I had to put in some headers to make it more digestable.

@oOStaticOo.9467 said:It also doesn't take much to designate one person from the back line of the squad to type map chat commands for what the squad may be doing. Push, Left, Right, Back, Bomb, Stab, CC, Ogre Watch, SM, etc. You don't necessarily have to type out a full complete paragraph as to what the blob is doing to get the message across for those that are not in the squad. I've followed many squads that have said those things in map chat and have had no problems following those commands.

You think during a fight pugs will read say chat from some random who is not even the commander explaining them what to do? This will never work. Your blob will certainly loose the fight against another blob with more ppl on discord. If a commander is on discord and he could have players who also use discord to play together and organise instead of players without voice its not really a surprise he takes the players with voice.

Maybe you should let us know what builds you want. Because until Anet allow you to check other people's gear, the only way would be to spam it. Then you wouldn't know what other skills they have so you would have no idea if they are running a complete Meta build. And I doubt you will sit there while people spam their gear at you either.Sorry mods but this kind of 'wanting a certain build' is nothing short of trolling.

@Dami.5046 said:Maybe you should let us know what builds you want. Because until Anet allow you to check other people's gear, the only way would be to spam it. Then you wouldn't know what other skills they have so you would have no idea if they are running a complete Meta build. And I doubt you will sit there while people spam their gear at you either.Sorry mods but this kind of 'wanting a certain build' is nothing short of trolling.

There are more then enough Sites to look up Meta builds lol

@Garrus.7403 said:

@oOStaticOo.9467 said:It also doesn't take much to designate one person from the back line of the squad to type map chat commands for what the squad may be doing. Push, Left, Right, Back, Bomb, Stab, CC, Ogre Watch, SM, etc. You don't necessarily have to type out a full complete paragraph as to what the blob is doing to get the message across for those that are not in the squad. I've followed many squads that have said those things in map chat and have had no problems following those commands.

You think during a fight pugs will read say chat from some random who is not even the commander explaining them what to do? This will never work. Your blob will certainly loose the fight against another blob with more ppl on discord. If a commander is on discord and he could have players who also use discord to play together and organise instead of players without voice its not really a surprise he takes the players with voice.

It will work, and it does work. I have seen it, and done it. Do not say it won't, that is an assumption that is wrong.

@Seductive.5741 said:

@Dami.5046 said:Maybe you should let us know what builds you want. Because until Anet allow you to check other people's gear, the only way would be to spam it. Then you wouldn't know what other skills they have so you would have no idea if they are running a complete Meta build. And I doubt you will sit there while people spam their gear at you either.Sorry mods but this kind of 'wanting a certain build' is nothing short of trolling.

There are more then enough Sites to look up Meta builds lol

Not what I meant, LOL. You cannot guess what build a character has just by looking.

Archived