Jump to content
  • Sign Up

What's your biggest "Remember when..." moment in GW2?


Recommended Posts

@Hyper Cutter.9376 said:iirc, back then if you equipped a new weapon for the first time after reaching some specific threshhold (level 20, I think?), the skills would automatically unlock without you having to do it manually.

I think that's what he's remembering.

I'm googling but I'm not finding anything, and I think I was the type of person who unlocked every skill as quickly as humanly possible, so I wouldn't have hit a level cap to automatically unlock the skills at a higher level.

It's quite possible that something like that existed, and my own personal experience wouldn't be able to confirm or deny it, so I think we can give the benefit of the doubt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@castlemanic.3198 said:

@Hyper Cutter.9376 said:iirc, back then if you equipped a new weapon for the first time after reaching some specific threshhold (level 20, I think?), the skills would automatically unlock without you having to do it manually.

I think that's what he's remembering.

I'm googling but I'm not finding anything, and I think I was the type of person who unlocked every skill as quickly as humanly possible, so I wouldn't have hit a level cap to automatically unlock the skills at a higher level.

It's quite possible that something like that existed, and my own personal experience wouldn't be able to confirm or deny it, so I think we can give the benefit of the doubt.

I dont remember them doing that either(at least initially, it may have been changed later on). I had a level 6o some odd character who had never used a trident i think it was and i had to unlock all the skills still, granted it only took one or two hits/kills but still.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@sorudo.9054 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:remember when we could play a new character and no weapon skill was locked out?

Was that ever a thing? I remember having to unlock each weapon skill by attacking a certain number of times with that weapon. And then having to wait until we could use offhands and then doing the same thing, I believe.

before the NPE you equip a weapon and all of them are unlocked, loved that.

No, before the NPE you had to unlock them by attacking with the weapon a certain amount of times or something like that. I don't remember ever having all of the weapon skills automatically unlocked when you first equipped a weapon before the NPE. The NPE actually brought the change that let you automatically unlock a new weapon's skills on equip, as long as you'd already unlocked all the skills on another weapon.

i play the game since beta.......yes they did....

Ive played since beta as well. You had to unlock weapon skills (beyond the 1 skill of course) by attacking with the weapon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@"Game of Bones.8975" said:I have two that come in for a close first and second place:Remember when people thought mounts would ruin gameplay, but now people are asking for new mounts, new skins, and new abilities for their mounts.Remember when gliding was restricted to HoT? It was nice, but not really considered a "form of transportation".

Now if you don't glide or have all the mounts unlocked, you may get left behind in group content (MP and bounty trains specifically).

I don't have to remember ... I see people using mounts and gliding all the time to cheese their way into hard-to-get places that were meant to be hard to get to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Remember when Southsun was released and Karka murdered everyone on the map. Then the one time event where we had to kill a Legendary Karka Queen that spawned only ONCE (not once per few hours. ONE TIME ONLY!) and the entire map was a death pit of lag. Wow we came a long way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@sorudo.9054 said:remember when we had armor skins in the GEM store, remember the time when hearts didn't annoy you when it was finished, remember when they allowed ppl to choose skills without the need of buying useless skills?

when where we able to choose skill withouth buying useless skills?

cause the first version had us buying skills BUT you needed to buy skills from tier 1 to unlock tier 2 etc.

lots of ''useless'' skills from there

we still have armor skins in the GEM store

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@derd.6413 said:Remember when people thought standard mmo mounts would ruin gameplay, but then anet made an entirely new mount system that addressed most issues a standard mmo mount system would cause.Oh, yes, i do. I also remember, that most of the potential issues i had with hypothetical mount system then actually did happen.

@RoseofGilead.8907 said:No, before the NPE you had to unlock them by attacking with the weapon a certain amount of times or something like that. I don't remember ever having all of the weapon skills automatically unlocked when you first equipped a weapon before the NPE.

They did if you equipped that weapon above a certain level (and before that, the higher your level was, the less kills were required to unlock the next skill).

The NPE actually brought the change that let you automatically unlock a new weapon's skills on equip, as long as you'd already unlocked all the skills on another weapon.That was actually also level-based. The current situation was an adjustment to NPE that was made a bit later.

@castlemanic.3198 said:

@Hyper Cutter.9376 said:iirc, back then if you equipped a new weapon for the first time after reaching some specific threshhold (level 20, I think?), the skills would automatically unlock without you having to do it manually.

I think that's what he's remembering.

I'm googling but I'm not finding anything, and I think I was the type of person who unlocked every skill as quickly as humanly possible, so I wouldn't have hit a level cap to automatically unlock the skills at a higher level.

It's quite possible that something like that existed, and my own personal experience wouldn't be able to confirm or deny it, so I think we can give the benefit of the doubt.Can confirm that (although i don't remember the exact level it happened anymore).

@Rogue Sol.1457 said:Remember when Southsun was released and Karka murdered everyone on the map. Then the one time event where we had to kill a Legendary Karka Queen that spawned only ONCE (not once per few hours. ONE TIME ONLY!) and the entire map was a death pit of lag.And you obtained two named weapons at the end of it. With a big chance of either (or both) being precursors.The precursor prices tanked hard that day.

Remember, when people asking for gear tiers above exotic, and/or for raids were laughed at and told, that fortunately GW2 is not that kind of game?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@derd.6413 said:Remember when people thought standard mmo mounts would ruin gameplay, but then anet made an entirely new mount system that addressed most issues a standard mmo mount system would cause.Oh, yes, i do. I also remember, that most of the potential issues i had with hypothetical mount system then actually
did
happen.

@RoseofGilead.8907 said:No, before the NPE you had to unlock them by attacking with the weapon a certain amount of times or something like that. I don't remember ever having all of the weapon skills automatically unlocked when you first equipped a weapon before the NPE.

They did if you equipped that weapon above a certain level (and before that, the higher your level was, the less kills were required to unlock the next skill).

The NPE actually brought the change that let you automatically unlock a new weapon's skills on equip, as long as you'd already unlocked all the skills on another weapon.That was actually also level-based. The current situation was an adjustment to NPE that was made a bit later.

@Hyper Cutter.9376 said:iirc, back then if you equipped a new weapon for the first time after reaching some specific threshhold (level 20, I think?), the skills would automatically unlock without you having to do it manually.

I think that's what he's remembering.

I'm googling but I'm not finding anything, and I think I was the type of person who unlocked every skill as quickly as humanly possible, so I wouldn't have hit a level cap to automatically unlock the skills at a higher level.

It's quite possible that something like that existed, and my own personal experience wouldn't be able to confirm or deny it, so I think we can give the benefit of the doubt.Can confirm that (although i don't remember the exact level it happened anymore).

@Rogue Sol.1457 said:Remember when Southsun was released and Karka murdered everyone on the map. Then the one time event where we had to kill a Legendary Karka Queen that spawned only ONCE (not once per few hours. ONE TIME ONLY!) and the entire map was a death pit of lag.And you obtained two named weapons at the end of it. With a big chance of either (or both) being precursors.The precursor prices tanked hard that day.

Remember, when people asking for gear tiers above exotic, and/or for raids were laughed at and told, that fortunately GW2 is not that kind of game?

I do remember that, it was Epic. If i remember right, it was called Ancient Karka. I miss those days.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@"Timbersword.9014" said:Remember town clothes? I can't even figure out where to get more. I just know they exist, and for some reason on a 15 minute duration per use? Matter of fact... WHY AREN'T THESE OUTFITS!? Far as I can tell an account doesn't even start with ONE standard "civilian" outfit.

There is a vendor in Trading Post (octopus) in LA that will take town clothes and return an Outfit

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Kal Spiro.9745 said:

@Sanity Obscure.6054 said:Transmutation Stones...

Not a good memory either...

What? Getting three transmutation stones with each map and only needing one to transmute level 2-79 gear? That was great.Accidentally transmuting the wrong appearance and stats... less so

Yeah, but those were worthless once you had all level 80 gear. And the level 80 version was not nearly as easy to get. And like you said, transmutation mess ups were not fun to deal with. :p I don't miss them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Remember hanging out on the hill outside the hunting lodge in Queensdale for 5 minutes waiting for the boar pre to come back up and the champ train to restart?Remember the pain of getting one of the Assault Knights down to 10% only for one of the other zergs to finish early, rush in en masse, and upscale it to hell causing the event to fail?Remember when world bosses weren't on a timer and you had no way of knowing when the pre'd come up?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Kal Spiro.9745 said:

@Sanity Obscure.6054 said:Transmutation Stones...

Not a good memory either...

What? Getting three transmutation stones with each map and only needing one to transmute level 2-79 gear? That was great.Accidentally transmuting the wrong appearance and stats... less so

What was also.... less so was that since they merged together you lost two pieces of gear to get one. If you ever wanted to use the lost appearance you had to rebuy it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Remember when world boss spawn times were independent across servers, and some players would guest to other servers to try to catch the upcoming spawn?

Remember when everyone camped near the legs of The Shatterer or Tequatl for the entire battle? (before the current version of those boss fights were introduced)

Remember when dye unlocks were only for one character instead of account-wide?

Remember the original Troll's End JP in LA?

Remember when karma boosts affected karma gained from consumables, and players would have karma drinking parties?

Remember when the female norn leggings of Magician set were slightly different? (There was another set that changed a similar part of female leggings as well, but I can't remember which set that was.)

Remember when Queen Jenna had a full set of legs?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Trise.2865 said:Remember when Traits could actually change skills into different skills, and you could pick which traits you learned in what order... but from a vendor?I actually don't remember this version. How did it work? I remember the release version, where you put points into traitlines and had to buy books to unlock the higher tiers or to reset them, and I remember a version after that where you had to do certain events to unlock some of the traits (which could work well in a singleplayer or fully-instanced game, but was a disaster in the open world).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Tommo Chocolate.5870 said:

@"Trise.2865" said:Remember when Traits could actually change skills into different skills, and you could pick which traits you learned in what order... but from a
vendor
?I actually don't remember this version. How did it work? I remember the release version, where you put points into traitlines and had to buy books to unlock the higher tiers or to reset them, and I remember a version after that where you had to do certain events to unlock some of the traits (which could work well in a singleplayer or fully-instanced game, but was a disaster in the open world).

At one point, you had to buy the traits as well as the tier-tomes.

There were certain traits that changed not only the functionality of specific Weapon or Necro Shroud skills (area of effect, conditions applied, durations, recharge speed, etc.), but also their names. I remember one specifically changed the Shroud 1 skill from "Necrotic Blast" to "Life Blast", a beefed-up version that cost an amount of Life Energy per charge-tier (wow, remember when some skills could be charged up?). The Skill-specific boosts usually weren't worth the trait slot compared to Weapon boosts or utility buffs, so nobody I know actually used them.

It may have been a beta build, but I could swear it was there at launch...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...