Episode 3 Connection/Log-in Issues [MERGED]

@Doireann Devir.6984 said:Just got on to do the Forewarned and Forearmed storyline, and this time I actually got to see the arm before being kicked. Not sure if this number set has been posted but the error number was 7:11:3:191:101.

Was able to do so before patch as well. I got a couple minutes into Taimi/Blish dialogue before crash and inability to login. It was right after the point where you use the invisibility thing around the Awakened guy.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh man, the sheer number of tantrums in this thread. [passes out the popcorn]But seriously, thanks for working hard on trying to fix this, Anet. It's pretty obvious people were working late. It's pretty ridiculous to expect the devs to work overnight for the pleasure of a few spoiled brats.

@Nikita.6192 said:

@Lilium.1509 said:what I want to know is, what is causing the game to crash and roll back on servers for people that aren't doing the new story content. It's not just the one story episode being effected by it. I mean, I don't mind; I have crochet I can work on...but I was really hoping to play some on one of my days off this week.

yea I wouldnt know. ive been on gw2 all day no issues other than relogging in to download builds. other than that ive been good, atm not on but thats because my video card has an update. but like I said I cant speak for everyone because not everyone apparently can get in or the fact that theres people that crash a lot now. Try reinstalling the game? idk.

Dude, we get you are special and you don't have any issues, you said that in plenty of posts. What TF are you even doing here. GTFO

rude much? didnt say I was special. also plenty of posts. probably mentioned in 2. and responded to a person and at the end offerered probably try reinstalling see if the patch idk corrupted? tleling people to gtfo is stupid and rude. Dont be that dick

@Yolanda.8416 said:this is not the first time on guild wars 2 history with story login problems !No Comunication on german Forum

Why say the patch notes Problem is fixed.Login to sotry is possible max time in story 2 mins then game crash

Fix the Problem @Stephane Lo Presti.7258

They never said Problem is fixed., They listed the issues they did fix and it didn't mention the Network Issue (at least the last set of patch notes didn't). It's just a game, for crying out loud. Go play something else for the night and try tomorrow, it won't kill you.

Extremely disappointed with the way this is going today. After laughing at the failure that was the release of Bless Online, Anet takes the lead by releasing content that breaks the entire game... after delaying said content for quality control.

I honestly hope the rest of the season releases will be without such major issues otherwise PoF was the last expansion I bought. Even F2P MMORPGs, which are notorious for bad patches, have better release states than this.

I adore that there are so many people that are sympathetic to Devs and the technology teams that are working on fixes for this issue but i have to say the real issue here is the release should have been rolled back by now. If your deployment strategy doesn't allow this it's time to look at the architectural decisions that were made that prevent this. I'm a DevOps engineer and i manage multiple deployment systems on very large production systems and i understand multi-platform systems like this are very complicated and hidden issues can come up. There are good arguments for ANet to take a better look at their deployment strategies and implementing configuration managed full stack environments is probably one of them but regardless of your environment or where you're at architecturally now, roll back strategies are principle to all deployment systems.

I wish the devs good luck in hunting them bugs and fixing these issues but a serious look at your deployment strategy and SRE policies needs to be done in the post mortem of this incident.

@Kassil.3705 said:

@"Thefarside.2178" said:Wait, tomorrow morning? You guys are calling it a day? Players/fans/loyalist have waited over 10 hours and you are waiting until tomorrow? Got it.

It's not the first time we've had to wait a day. Head of the Snake was delayed entirely for about 25 hours (A blizzard knocked out the studio's power). These things
happen
. Chill. Wait. Go back to other maps and grab some Mastery Points you don't have yet. Mount is gonna need a lot of them. Or do the Fractal. Or play another game. It's not like we pay a sub fee for GW2.

You're talking at Serious Gamers. Whenever a patch drops and anything goes wrong at all, they throw a screaming tantrum the entire time until they get distracted and run off after the shiny. They're people with no experience at game development and design who think they're experts, who think they're owed everything for spending almost nothing, and who have no idea how pretty much every MMOG is. SWTOR? Good luck, you might get to log in a day or two after a content patch - because that's how long it takes to patch. Anything from Blizzard? Try next week, they might have things working after the servers stop crashing. You name it, every MMO suffers it, every one of these people shriek about it every single time. Like clockwork, because they demand instant gratification.

Outside of the startling generalization - I think it is acceptable for "gamers" to expect more from companies they support. When did it become ok to release incomplete/buggy products to the gaming community? When did our standards become so low that we simply chop it up to "this happens, wait a few days"...if the intent is to wait a few days each time content is released, why release it? Do you have such low standards for other things in your life that you support?

@Industria.9260 said:Oh man, the sheer number of tantrums in this thread. [passes out the popcorn]But seriously, thanks for working hard on trying to fix this, Anet. It's pretty obvious people were working late. It's pretty ridiculous to expect the devs to work overnight for the pleasure of a few spoiled brats.

That is quite snobbish of you bud. Speaking for myself here (but I've seen many with the same problem) but this latest patch needed to be rolled back prior to them leaving for the night. Before the patch, we could play the game... just not the new living story line. After the patch I can't do anything in the game at all, on any character. ONCE I got in for 3 minutes and d/c. We are complaining because it is now so much WORSE, not because we can't do a story line. That I'm happy to wait on.

Logged in just a few minutes ago, tried the new story and got a crash maybe thirty seconds into it? And now every time I try to load any of my characters I get a "network error" and the game closes. :/ I know you guys will fix it eventually, just wish I could do other things.

@Angoril.2179 said:Extremely disappointed with the way this is going today. After laughing at the failure that was the release of Bless Online, Anet takes the lead by releasing content that breaks the entire game... after delaying said content for quality control.

I honestly hope the rest of the season releases will be without such major issues otherwise PoF was the last expansion I bought. Even F2P MMORPGs, which are notorious for bad patches, have better release states than this.

You clearly have no idea how production deployments of incredibly load intensive, complex systems work. No amount of testing on an application like this can test every variable that is brought on by thousands of players accessing the backend at once. It can be simulated, sure, but it's still a simulation and it sure cannot test against human ingenuity on how the game is played/used. This happens, get over it. This is nothing compared to some of the head scratching outages and bugs I've had to deal with in my career.

@"EagleDelta.4726" said:

They never said Problem is fixed., They listed the issues they did fix and it didn't mention the Network Issue (at least the last set of patch notes didn't). It's just a game, for crying out loud. Go play something else for the night and try tomorrow, it won't kill you.

From German Patchnotes site!Ein Problem wurde behoben, durch welches der Aufgaben-Fortschritt blockiert wurde, nachdem Spieler im Kapitel „Gefahr erkannt, Gefahr gebannt“ der Lebendigen Welt-Episode „Lang lebe der Lich“ mit den Altehrwürdigen Königinnen sprachen oder Taimi und Blish am Portal trafen.

From English Patchnote siteFixed an issue that blocked quest progress after players talked to the Primeval Queens or rendezvoused with Taimi and Blish at the portal in the "Forearmed Is Forewarned" chapter of the Living World episode "Long Live the Lich."

@Jazun.5862 said:I adore that there are so many people that are sympathetic to Devs and the technology teams that are working on fixes for this issue but i have to say the real issue here is the release should have been rolled back by now. If your deployment strategy doesn't allow this it's time to look at the architectural decisions that were made that prevent this. I'm a DevOps engineer and i manage multiple deployment systems on very large production systems and i understand multi-platform systems like this are very complicated and hidden issues can come up. There are good arguments for ANet to take a better look at their deployment strategies and implementing configuration managed full stack environments is probably one of them but regardless of your environment or where you're at architecturally now, roll back strategies are principle to all deployment systems.

I wish the devs good luck in hunting them bugs and fixing these issues but a serious look at your deployment strategy and SRE policies needs to be done in the post mortem of this incident.

While I whole heartedly agree with you (DevOps Engineer here as well), I don't think games have the DevOps capability that many other software applications have. They take a LOT more time to build and roll back (from what I can tell) and it seems that the Game Development industry as a whole is very much still in the Waterfall Development process. The few game devs I've talked to (some fairly well know, most are not) are very resistant to Agile and DevOps methodologies.

@nonetito.9164 said:Almost 10 hours since the error and still not working...I'm indignant.Shame on you, Anet.

I'm frustrated too, but it's not like they're lazy. I'm sure that there are several developers much more frustrated than you trying to fix it, also this is more or less free content...just wanna put that in context. Chill dude, you must have something else you can do for a second.

@Stephane Lo Presti.7258 said:This afternoon’s build corrected several bugs and issues, but we want you to know that we’re aware that not all issues were fully corrected with the build, including one blocking player progress in “Forearmed is Forewarned.” We will continue to work on the remaining issues and will post an update tomorrow morning to let you know the status of those efforts.

We sincerely apologize for the delay and thank you for your continued patience. Please know that we understand the impact this is having and we are doing what we can to resolve this quickly and get everyone into the episode. We’re looking forward as much as you are to this being resolved and everyone being able to play.

While many of us understand that these things take time, the last patch note should have explicitly explained that this issue hasn't been fixed yet. The first thing almost everyone did was log in thinking they could continue their story - when in reality it simply let us advance at most another 15 seconds before experiencing the crashes over and over.

While the last fix is a positive thing, from a player's perspective, it didn't really do anything that let us continue the story or experience the update at all. The poorly worded patch notes were unclear - trying too hard to emphasize the progress made without explaining the actual impact on gameplay (which was next to nil).

Again, thank you all for the gargantuan effort you are obviously making, but you need to be upfront and clearer in how you communicate these things. All this did was make things more frustrating for players trying to experience the story.

Archived