Is Petey a reference to Red Dwarf?

@Tails.9372 said:

@"RoseofGilead.8907" said:they don't say he's named for Tom Petty; they say he's the "fifth Beatle.""I remember why we named Petty Petty, because he's the fifth Beatle."

Now how many Petty's could this have been referring to?

Tom Petty wasn't in the Beatles. Also, the roller beetle's name is Petey, not Petty. It's probably a pun because "Beatle"/"Beetle" and (maybe) a reference to Pete Best, the Beatles' original drummer.

From this Reddit post by U/Cyberskunk:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/8udujj/on_beetles_and_naming/

On beetles and naming....[Lore]spoiler"Gorrik: Do it fast. Those scarabs were first generation, but Pestilentix termitroxus has a very quick reproductive cycle."

Pestilentix Termitroxus

P.T.

Petey.

(Credit to Sayerra for pointing this out on discord and making half the guild angry.)

@"Finngarad.9746" said:From this Reddit post by U/Cyberskunk:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/8udujj/on_beetles_and_naming/

On beetles and naming....[Lore]spoiler"Gorrik: Do it fast. Those scarabs were first generation, but Pestilentix termitroxus has a very quick reproductive cycle."

Pestilentix Termitroxus

P.T.

Petey.

(Credit to Sayerra for pointing this out on discord and making half the guild angry.)

Now that definitely makes sense. Thanks for that!

@RoseofGilead.8907 said:

@"Finngarad.9746" said:From this Reddit post by U/Cyberskunk:

Pestilentix Termitroxus

P.T.

Petey.

Now that definitely makes sense. Thanks for that!

It does make sense, BUT, we don't know if Anet started with the Beetles name being Petey, named for whoever, or the Entomological term for the Scarab Plague, Pestilentix Termitroxus. One would mean they named the beetle for someone and created the Scientific term around it, or it could be the other way around. ^^Chicken meet egg. We don't know until a Dev confirms it, so could this be posted in the AFC? X)

@"Klowdy.3126" said:I'm just confused why someone thought a bird that turned into a dino was referencing a beetle.

It's not that the bird was referencing a beetle, it was that the beetle's name was an Easter egg about the comedy scifi series "Red Dwarf" (which although it wasn't a US creation, I loved it! Thank you UK!)

I am with the above posters, though, in that I think it's more of a Pete Best reference, a la "5th Beatle (Beetle)"

Cheers for that, ANet!

@Ashabhi.1365 said:

@"Klowdy.3126" said:I'm just confused why someone thought a bird that turned into a dino was referencing a beetle.

It's not that the bird was referencing a beetle, it was that the beetle's name was an Easter egg about the comedy scifi series "Red Dwarf" (which although it wasn't a US creation, I loved it! Thank you UK!)

I am with the above posters, though, in that I think it's more of a Pete Best reference, a la "5th Beatle (Beetle)"

Cheers for that, ANet!

The OP says the first thing he thought about was a bird named Pete, that was turned into a dinosaur. I'm confused why this would be a reference to this mount. I'm not seeing any connection at all. I understand the whole Beatles thing, I'm just wondering why the OP was even a thought at all.

@Klowdy.3126 said:

@Klowdy.3126 said:I'm just confused why someone thought a bird that turned into a dino was referencing a beetle.

Cheers for that, ANet!

The OP says the first thing he thought about was a bird named Pete, that was turned into a dinosaur. I'm confused why this would be a reference to this mount. I'm not seeing any connection at all. I understand the whole Beatles thing, I'm just wondering why the OP was even a thought at all.

Because the guy had a PET named PETEY that's why

@slayerking.3581 said:

@Klowdy.3126 said:I'm just confused why someone thought a bird that turned into a dino was referencing a beetle.

Cheers for that, ANet!

Because the guy had a PET named PETEY that's why

Oh lol, that's a bit of a far reach. The first thing I thought of was American Pie where Jim was pretending to be a "special" band geek named Petey, but I didn't assume it was a reference to that.

@Ashabhi.1365 said:

Cheers for that, ANet!@"RoseofGilead.8907" said:Around 48:00. And they don't say he's named for Tom Petty; they say he's the "fifth Beatle."

Did they confirm that it is named after Pete Best? YES!, I KNEW IT. https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/8udujj/on_beetles_and_naming/e1frqob/

Archived