EDIT: ANET staff publicly representing company should be held to their own standards

@"Jethro.9376" said:Another one of those loud minorty uproars, when something doesn't go a certain way...

"a certain way" being: Not telling customers to f off and being extremely disrespectful towards the people who shape parts of the community, yes.

"Don't speak up when people treat you poorly, it doesn't affect me personally so it's not relevant"

Edit: Judging by your second response I might have misunderstood. Either way, this wasn't an attack towards you if you read it that way.

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully the backlash towards the company reaches investors and corporate management comes up with a clear detailed social media policy when identifying oneself as a company employee and breeching that policy affects salary review s and contract negotiation. Other then that I doubt this person will change who they are, what I read from them indicate someone who's unwilling to grow and better themselves and even admitting wrong doing and apologizing would be insincere.

@Swagger.1459 said:

@"Windu The Forbidden One.6045" said:

@Swagger.1459 said:I’m on team Jessica.

That “rando” person is trying to assume the limitations with personalized story telling through the mmo format, is not about the limited mmo format, but the problem lies with how Anet approaches personalized story telling through the “constraints of the Living Story’s narrative design”

Are you criticizing the argument of the "rando" person because he is male or female, and are thus just doing a thin wailed sexist comment? Can you prove it?

That is what this discussing is about. Not the pro and con of the different forms of personalized story telling, but rather if the comment itself was sexist. If the rando were employed by Anet and just now accused you of being sexist on social media and you may end up receiving death threats, would you think thats acceptable behavior?

The artistic merits of using different techniques for personalized story telling is relevant for a discussion about personalized story telling. I wish that was what we were discussing, but its rather irrelevant for the person being accused on social media for sexism.

I don’t care about any PC mumbo jumbo here, or anywhere else... I commented on the catalyst of the argument, so stick to that and don’t assume anything else.

So, you basically chose to overlook the actual topic of the thread in order to weigh in your opinion on a different matter.

In other words, you're off topic.

This thread is “let’s attack a dev”, so sorry if I’m not joining in on the bashing... I can post what I want, and it’s all related. This topic is getting closed anyway, off topic or not, and to assume otherwise is silly.

And I don’t care about any PC police here, but if you want I can start pulling up player twitter comments and reposts so we can play the morality judge game? Everyone on social media is fair game now right?

We are not attacking her, we are merely discussing what happened. And hoping that maybe something good comes from this.Acting this antagonistic and belligerent towards other members of the community over mere constructive criticism is unacceptable behavior, and if any of us did this, we most definitely would be infracted or banned.

No, people are attacking her here and reddit for comments made on her personal Twitter. Nothing good will come of it. Ppl need to take their pc antics and self righteousness somewhere else, or we should start to scrutinize all their public social media accounts and attack with mob mentality justice. Equal justice right?

She is the only one showing "pc antics", she is the one who made the entire issue about gender, we are merely responding to it.Just as she is allowed to rant and make baseless accusations on the internet, we are free to give our opinion on it.

Ya ppl post it here I’m going to comment.

That is your right.

Did Jessica break any twitter rules? Nope, but the morality police needs to act off some moral high ground and attack her on the official forums and reddit because they don’t agree with her.

If anybody has an issue with what happened then keep it on Twitter where it belongs.

This logic.. impossible to argue against. You're the master of discourse.

Honestly astounded that you could turn the entire topic on its head and accuse the community pointing out misbehaviour as misbehaving the same way.

Closing your eyes and ignoring it is your right as much as any other, but "keep it where it belongs"? Are you the sole arbiter of what goes where? And it's obviously related to GW2 & story, so talking about the people behind it makes logical sense too.

Keep this crap on Twitter where it belongs... Unless, of course, we should post all of our social media accounts so the community can talk morality on the official gw2 forums...

Had this crap been started here we can handle it here, but it didn’t. Get it?

It was a discussion about Guild Wars 2, made by an employee working on Guild Wars 2 responding to a content creator for Guild Wars 2.

Yea, I can see how that has no place here on the Guild Wars 2 forum. Absolutely agree it's totally off topic for here!

Personally attacking a dev on the official forums is a no no. Or do you not understand that?

Denouncing toxic and harmful behavior is not now, nor has it ever been, a personal attack. It is exceptionally reasonable that an ArenaNet employee attacking a Guild Wars 2 content creator during a Guild Wars 2 discussion should warrant some level of conversation on the Guild Wars 2 official forums, especially considering another ArenaNet employee supported the attack.

There is no better place for this conversation.

@Gaile Gray.6029 will disagree with you and shut down this thread asap.

Wanna bet 10k gold thread gets shut down?

I'm way too broke to even bet 1k gold, but I kinda wish I could considering it's currently being moderated and hateful posts are being deleted in real time.

@Swagger.1459 said:

That “rando” person is trying to assume the limitations with personalized story telling through the mmo format, is not about the limited mmo format, but the problem lies with how Anet approaches personalized story telling through the “constraints of the Living Story’s narrative design”

Are you criticizing the argument of the "rando" person because he is male or female, and are thus just doing a thin wailed sexist comment? Can you prove it?

That is what this discussing is about. Not the pro and con of the different forms of personalized story telling, but rather if the comment itself was sexist. If the rando were employed by Anet and just now accused you of being sexist on social media and you may end up receiving death threats, would you think thats acceptable behavior?

The artistic merits of using different techniques for personalized story telling is relevant for a discussion about personalized story telling. I wish that was what we were discussing, but its rather irrelevant for the person being accused on social media for sexism.

I don’t care about any PC mumbo jumbo here, or anywhere else... I commented on the catalyst of the argument, so stick to that and don’t assume anything else.

So, you basically chose to overlook the actual topic of the thread in order to weigh in your opinion on a different matter.

This thread is “let’s attack a dev”, so sorry if I’m not joining in on the bashing... I can post what I want, and it’s all related. This topic is getting closed anyway, off topic or not, and to assume otherwise is silly.

And I don’t care about any PC police here, but if you want I can start pulling up player twitter comments and reposts so we can play the morality judge game? Everyone on social media is fair game now right?

We are not attacking her, we are merely discussing what happened. And hoping that maybe something good comes from this.Acting this antagonistic and belligerent towards other members of the community over mere constructive criticism is unacceptable behavior, and if any of us did this, we most definitely would be infracted or banned.

No, people are attacking her here and reddit for comments made on her personal Twitter. Nothing good will come of it. Ppl need to take their pc antics and self righteousness somewhere else, or we should start to scrutinize all their public social media accounts and attack with mob mentality justice. Equal justice right?

She is the only one showing "pc antics", she is the one who made the entire issue about gender, we are merely responding to it.Just as she is allowed to rant and make baseless accusations on the internet, we are free to give our opinion on it.

That is your right.

Did Jessica break any twitter rules? Nope, but the morality police needs to act off some moral high ground and attack her on the official forums and reddit because they don’t agree with her.

If anybody has an issue with what happened then keep it on Twitter where it belongs.

Honestly astounded that you could turn the entire topic on its head and accuse the community pointing out misbehaviour as misbehaving the same way.

Closing your eyes and ignoring it is your right as much as any other, but "keep it where it belongs"? Are you the sole arbiter of what goes where? And it's obviously related to GW2 & story, so talking about the people behind it makes logical sense too.

Keep this crap on Twitter where it belongs... Unless, of course, we should post all of our social media accounts so the community can talk morality on the official gw2 forums...

It was a discussion about Guild Wars 2, made by an employee working on Guild Wars 2 responding to a content creator for Guild Wars 2.

Yea, I can see how that has no place here on the Guild Wars 2 forum. Absolutely agree it's totally off topic for here!

Personally attacking a dev on the official forums is a no no. Or do you not understand that?

Take your hypocritical arguments and morality meters to Twitter.

Healthy discussions on the official forums are also a no no. Or do you not understand that?

If you want player feedback, better ask for it elsewhere. Most WvW servers have a forum more active than the official forums, and that's a dead gamemode. :trollface:

Heavy moderation does not promote healthy discussion. I agree this might not be the place for it; but putting your fingers in your ears and yelling lalalala doesn't make genuine concerns magically disappear. Not even if you believe hard enough. Not even if you ban everyone who disagrees. I'm suprised these threads haven't been purged already.

On topic : What anet devs do in their spare time is their business; not ours. But what anet devs say publically and related to the game on PUBLIC social media will obviously draw responses from the players. And if discussions ensue, both sides should remain civil or plain not respond.

If any anet rep really needs some toxicity towards the players, feel free to whisper me. I'll happily apply my elitist expertise and bash players left right and center. Any medium works and special requests can be taken into account; as long as it's not roleplay.

@rrusse.7058 said:

@"Jethro.9376" said:Another one of those loud minorty uproars, when something doesn't go a certain way...

What are you getting at exactly?

I just took a quick look at reddit/twitter, so i don't know the whole story in detail. But i'm refering to the "sexism and patriarchy" kitten.What has the one thing to do with the other?

By "a certain way" i mean, "how does a guy dare to criticise my work".

It is in times like this that Gaile need to step in as a community leader and address the situation. Community trust is built on the relationship between developers and the player base and seeing a player being accused of sexism as a response to offering criticism over story narrative and being thrown to the wolfs on twitter by a developer is very serious. The implication is extreme, and the potential harm for the community massive.

This thread is only growing and while occasional stepping outside good tone and civility it is important to address the core issue rather than just the extreme posts at the edges. Moderators can help with those extremes, but I doubt there is enough moderators to stem the tied unless the core issue is actually addressed.

@Etheri.5406 said:

That is your right.

Healthy discussions on the official forums are also a no no. Or do you not understand that?

If you want player feedback, better ask for it elsewhere. Most WvW servers have a forum more active than the official forums, and that's a dead gamemode. :trollface:

Heavy moderation does not promote healthy discussion. I agree this might not be the place for it; but putting your fingers in your ears and yelling lalalala doesn't make genuine concerns magically disappear. Not even if you believe hard enough. Not even if you ban everyone who disagrees. I'm suprised these threads haven't been purged already.

On topic : What anet devs do in their spare time is their business; not ours. But what anet devs say publically and related to the game on PUBLIC social media will obviously draw responses from the players. And if discussions ensue, both sides should remain civil or plain not respond.

If any anet rep really needs some toxicity towards the players, feel free to whisper me. I'll happily apply my elitist expertise and bash players left right and center. Any medium works and special requests can be taken into account; as long as it's not roleplay.

None of this is a healthy discussion... It’s called mob justice and an attack on an arenanet employee on the official forums.

You call for sides to be “civil”, but that went out the door upon thread creation.

@Vayne.8563 said:

@Vayne.8563 said:snip

You make very good points. Although it's not the first time something like this happens so I think Arenanet really needs to look into the situation. I get the idea JP is very stressed, so it might be worthwhile to have her go on leave for a bit to get some rest and properly destress and clear her mind.I'm more critical of Peter Fries, who poured fuel on the fire. He should know better than to butt in on an already volatile situation and should have left the situation to be handled by the PR team or community manager.

People are saying Anet apparently contacted Deroir and asked him not to say anything about the situation, so I guess we'll hear from Anet soon.

I don't know. I've defended coworkers before, because I know them and understand their point of view. Just as the dev over-reacted, so has the community. This is, at this point, nothing more than a witch hunt. The dev felt she was being singled out because she was a female dev. It's not likely but that's what her experience has taught her. The fuel on the fire isn't going to teach her any different.

Peter Fries did what anyone would do for a friend. He wasn't trying to throw fuel on the fire. He was helping a friend. We've all done it. In all of this, he's the guy who's reaction I understand the most.

Yeah, I think ultimately he was standing up for a coworker and a friend, but I still think what he said showed, at least to a degree, that he agreed with her. He said something along the lines that he hadn't had comments like that even though he'd been on the team since 2012. What he doesn't seem to realize is that people have been crapping all over his work for years they just didn't know which parts he was personally responsible for to criticize him specifically. Deroir probably saw someone actually posting something publicly and thought "hey a dev actually being open to a discussion, this is great!"

The dev team has done a better job communicating but are still fairly behind when it comes to these things so I think certain people (particularly WvWers, sPvPers and Raiders) are kind of chomping at the bit for more information. Unfortunately she took this as him talking down to her because she was a woman. Whether this is because previous experiences, a bad day, or simply political ideology I don't know, but it's clear she saw something no one else seemed to.

Whether or not either one of them are punished, and how is ultimately up to ANet. At this point I'm curious what, if anything they would or could say that would settle things down any way and I think it's somewhat of a sad situation all around.

@Swagger.1459 said:

That is your right.

None of this is a healthy discussion... It’s called mob justice and an attack on an arenanet employee on the official forums.

You call for sides to be “civil”, but that went out the door upon thread creation.

Fair, but I call for ability to discuss. We've censored so much that healthy discussions will never really take place here; most players shun the place as they rightfully should. So what I'm stating is both sides SHOULD be respectful of eachothers opinions and NOT censor / moderate the hell out of it because one side was "not sensitive enough for my liking".

Which applies to BOTH ends. At the end of the day, obviously anet decides what to do. But many players are not lynching, merely stating that they do in fact not agree with what was said on twitter. And frankly I can't hold that against them.

@"Zalavaaris.5329" said:Honestly even if the criticism was sexist... you never... let me repeat that... NEVER treat any customer like that. Even when rude... you just cant do that

Maybe, but I'm not sure I agree. The real crux of the issue is that an Anet employee started an interesting and sensible discussion, received an equally interesting and sensible response from a well known content creator/customer, and called that customer names/publicly shamed them for "sexism" for daring to make a reply. And then was supported by a second Anet employee.

Someone actually being attacked and responding in kind is likely to garner support and a lot of "justice served" type posts supporting her, even if it is technically not the right reaction. This isn't the case here, though, and that multiple employees were involved is what's so disturbing.

@Etheri.5406 said:

That is your right.

Fair, but I call for ability to discuss. We've censored so much that healthy discussions will never really take place here; most players shun the place as they rightfully should. So what I'm stating is both sides SHOULD be respectful of eachothers opinions and NOT censor / moderate the hell out of it because one side was "not sensitive enough for my liking".

Which applies to BOTH ends. At the end of the day, obviously anet decides what to do. But many players are not lynching, merely stating that they do in fact not agree with what was said on twitter. And frankly I can't hold that against them.

Nothing good will come out of this thread. It will only bring out a whole lot of unnecessary arguments that don’t belong here. The forum rules were created for a reason, and attacking a dev on the official forums is not something Anet allows, regardless of who is right or wrong.

@Swagger.1459 said:

That is your right.

The forum rules were created for a reason, and attacking a dev on the official forums is not something Anet allows, regardless of who is right or wrong.

Agreed, and since most of the users here are not attacking her, we can continue to allow the moderators to do the great work they have been by deleting the attacks that do pop up, while we continue to have a calm and rational conversation about the results of two Anet employees negative and toxic actions towards well known Guild Wars 2 content creators.

Glad we're on the same page!

@Swagger.1459 said:

That is your right.

I really don't want to respond anymore to your obvious attempts to derail the thread, but my intention while creating this thread was to create a place where a civil discussion between players, and if the devs want to speak out about this, devs as well, can express how they feel about this PR issue for ANET. Offering criticism about something that happened on a public forum is not a personal attack.

I am merely requesting that ANET staff abide by the same rules of conduct we players have to. From the official Guild Ward 2 Rules of Conduct: You may not select an Account ID, Account Display Name, ArenaNet Message Board ID, Character ID and/or Team designation, or provide any communication or information on any Message Board, that ArenaNet, in its reasonable discretion, deems to be vulgar, threatening, racist, sexist or otherwise offensive, including but not limited to references related to any religion or deity;

@Tolmos.8395 said:

That is your right.

The forum rules were created for a reason, and attacking a dev on the official forums is not something Anet allows, regardless of who is right or wrong.

Agreed, and since most of the users here are not attacking her, we can continue to allow the moderators to do the great work they have been by deleting the attacks that do pop up, while we continue to have a calm and rational conversation about the results of two Anet employees negative and toxic actions towards well known Guild Wars 2 content creators.

Glad we're on the same page!

No, sorry, we are not “on the same page”. This thread is getting trashed for obvious reasons. It is neither civil nor constructive, and definitely not the way to address the issue.

@Tolmos.8395 said:

@"Zalavaaris.5329" said:Honestly even if the criticism was sexist... you never... let me repeat that... NEVER treat any customer like that. Even when rude... you just cant do that

Maybe, but I'm not sure I agree. The real crux of the issue is that an Anet employee started an interesting and sensible discussion, received an equally interesting and sensible response from a well known content creator/customer, and called that customer names/publicly shamed them for "sexism" for daring to make a reply. And then was supported by a second Anet employee.

Someone actually being attacked and responding in kind is likely to garner support and a lot of "justice served" type posts supporting her, even if it is technically not the right reaction. This isn't the case here, though, and that multiple employees were involved is what's so disturbing.

I would add that when someone is being publicly shamed for "sexism" on twitter to ten of thousands of followers, the risk for death threats and physical injury is high and very real. Its a major risk to the health of the gw2 community if this became accepted behavior for developers.

@Alga.6498 said:

@Alga.6498 said:Jessica literally playing the feninism card and its disgusting as hell. What a kitten idiot!I am getting so upset with her response and behaviour!She even twits and says "
Dude, we've STILL got people outraged that I'm not interested in talking to them on my personal twitter on a federal holiday? Go to a BBQ or something
."

Its like she's taking this like a joke!! kitten!?If other employees of ANet as Peter Fries does about "
we dont want your feedback
", then I am done playing this game, if all of the devs are shitheads like Jessica and Peter are! :rage:I really hope ANet reviews her, if they dont; they just grave themselves a grave if the whole Company supports Jessica Price.

And here you are, calling her names. The moral high road isn't very high for you.

So she's allowed to call anyone else names but not me? What a genius you are, my friend.You go join the down road, that will suit you.

To be fair, you really shouldn't, no. She, being a professional for a company making personal attacks against the users of the company, should deal with consequences for those actions. But that does not mean that the appropriate reaction is to make personal attacks against her. This thread is for a discussion about her actions as well as the results of those actions and their effect on the views of the game's players.

Fair ?? She deserves being called-out, if you two are okay for what's she's doing, then its up to you. I personally do not support that kind of behaviour and it's disgusting the way she handles it.So dont tell me what to and not to do. If you support her, then be "fair". I wont.

Calling somebody out doesn't require you to lose all politeness. You can call somebody out without resorting to insults and keep being polite.Insults just show you have nothing else to say, so if you have nothing else to say, then say nothing else.

Here’s a bit of insight that I legitimately hope you reflects on: I never asked for your feedback

Clever reference :smiley: Have my Thumbs Up

@Alga.6498 said:

@Alga.6498 said:Jessica literally playing the feninism card and its disgusting as hell. What a kitten idiot!I am getting so upset with her response and behaviour!She even twits and says "
Dude, we've STILL got people outraged that I'm not interested in talking to them on my personal twitter on a federal holiday? Go to a BBQ or something
."

Its like she's taking this like a joke!! kitten!?If other employees of ANet as Peter Fries does about "
", then I am done playing this game, if all of the devs are shitheads like Jessica and Peter are! :rage:I really hope ANet reviews her, if they dont; they just grave themselves a grave if the whole Company supports Jessica Price.

And here you are, calling her names. The moral high road isn't very high for you.

So she's allowed to call anyone else names but not me? What a genius you are, my friend.You go join the down road, that will suit you.

To be fair, you really shouldn't, no. She, being a professional for a company making personal attacks against the users of the company, should deal with consequences for those actions. But that does not mean that the appropriate reaction is to make personal attacks against her. This thread is for a discussion about her actions as well as the results of those actions and their effect on the views of the game's players.

Fair ?? She deserves being called-out, if you two are okay for what's she's doing, then its up to you. I personally do not support that kind of behaviour and it's disgusting the way she handles it.So dont tell me what to and not to do. If you support her, then be "fair". I wont.

Calling somebody out doesn't require you to lose all politeness. You can call somebody out without resorting to insults and keep being polite.Insults just show you have nothing else to say, so if you have nothing else to say, then say nothing else.

Here’s a bit of insight that I legitimately hope you reflects on: I never asked for your feedback

This is beautiful, I might even say therapeutic.

@Alga.6498 said:

."

Alga, while many of us here including myself are definitely outraged by the dev's behavior, we should not criticize HER but rather her actions. Thank you for understanding :).

EDIT: I do find the reference amusing though ;)

@Belorn.2659 said:

I would add that when someone is being publicly shamed for "sexism" on twitter to ten of thousands of followers, the risk for death threats and physical injury is high and very real. Its a major risk to the health of the gw2 community if this became accepted behavior for developers.

This is a very good point, and definitely a reason why I hope that Arenanet doesn't just gloss this over and move on. But I still don't agree that it would warrant personal attacks against the perpetrator; discussion like this about the negative consequences of their actions is a much more constructive use of our time. It's important for Anet to understand just how their customers, and public in general, feel about the sort of image they are putting out there with this sort of thing.

Archived