GW 2 Devs/Playerbase Twitter Discussion

@"The Knight of Hope.8023" said:While I don't hate this individual, I certainly hate what she chose to do. Being libelous and slanderous towards someone for disagreeing with her while herself pretending to be a victim of targeted hatred is just about the worst thing you can do short of trying to physically hurt or kill someone. Innocent people's lives and reputations are destroyed regularly by these kinds of false accusations.

I'm not sure that it's the absolute worst non-violent thing that you can do. Do you think that this might be a bit hyperbolic here?

It's unforgivable that those who are here to defend this person for no other reason than the fact that they espouse the same ideology that she does care about her losing her job but do not care in the slightest about those whose lives would be destroyed if people were to believe the lies and false accusations she has been flinging. They and she are both lucky they do not live in a system where it is easy to seek recourse for slander and defamation.

Whose lives would have been destroyed? Derroir? I can't really see how that would happen. Someone accused him of mansplaining something to someone who had far more professional experience than he did. He apologized. On the other hand, I don't know whether he has gotten hundreds of death threats the way that Price reportedly has. If so, then he clearly has been hurt as well, but I don't see how firing anyone helps him or shields him.

It bears mentioning that we are 74 pages in and the cult of victimology has yet to acknowledge that companies have the right to protect themselves by firing employees, especially public figures, who attack their customers, insult their partners and tarnish the reputation of their brands. We didn't hear any of this howling when John Schnatter resigned from Papa John's, for instance, because John Schnatter is an example of someone who actually does have bad character whom they'd like to attack and are pleased to see unemployed, even though most of the bad things he said and did were done in private. This, again, is not mere hypocrisy: It is a lack of sincerity. It is changing one's standards in order to attack and destroy people with whom they disagree.

Schnatter used a word that was shouted while people hung other people from trees, raped their wives and children, and sold them into slavery. After a bloody civil war and another century of guerilla conflict and terrorism (yes, the KKK is considered a terrorist group by most political scientists) in the South, we are reaching the point where most of the population no longer considers that word acceptable.

To compare that to what Price and Fries posted is just a little bit hyperbolic, no?

The silver lining here if anything is that this event should serve as a wake-up call to companies everywhere that they don't have to allow these rabid ideologues to define their public images and insult their customers just because their cult is currently in-favor with the mainstream media, the university system and Hollywood. Here's hoping cooler heads will continue to prevail.

If ANet had not fired these two devs, this incident would have blown over rather quickly, especially since this occurred during a holiday. It certainly would not have hurt them if they had waited until their immediate supervisors returned from vacation a few days later. I really think that you are overestimating the degree of outrage that most fans would have experienced, as well as the degree of media coverage that this would have generated. Instead, by having the CEO directly intervene without even speaking with their supervisors, and firing them immediately, this has generated far more coverage and far more bad press than if they had quietly swept this under the rug.

You seem to be extremely upset over some sort of ideological aspect to this incident that appears to be larger than a few intemperate tweets. Talking about cults controlling the media and some sort of conspiracy involving "intersectional nihilists" whatever the hell that is, your concerns really seem to go far beyond what these two individuals have done, and I think that perhaps you need to step back and address the actual sources of your anger.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:What’s hilarious about this thread is no matter how many new posts it receives it doesn’t populate to the front page like every other thread lulz, they want this thread to be buried into obscurity.

But after 10 days and 74 pages the number of posters posting was always going to drift south, even in a hot potato thread like this, whilst the time between posts will more than likely increase, thus making its visibility fluctuate a lot more on any forum, especially over a weekend.However for much of the 10 days it was always hovering at the top or near to it.. but I guess with the additional crud that keeps being churned out by JP and the bias media, who wouldn't want to begin to reduce its visibility.. it's already served its purpose now for sure though.Do you feel better now? ...

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:What’s hilarious about this thread is no matter how many new posts it receives it doesn’t populate to the front page like every other thread lulz, they want this thread to be buried into obscurity.

The forum is bugged. This thread is locked below the Forum Suspension thread and other threads are also not refreshing correctly when a new post is made.

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

The forum is bugged. This thread is locked below the Forum Suspension thread and other threads are also not refreshing correctly when a new post is made.

Seems to update fine when I posted in posts directly below this thread.

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

Yah. Some update properly and some don’t.

So far I have never seen this forum behavior in any other thread besides this one, if it’s as common as you imply which other thread does it happen in?

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

So far I have never seen this forum behavior in any other thread besides this one, if it’s as common as you imply which other thread does it happen in?

I noticed it wasn’t updating properly. I looked at other threads posting dates and saw some irregularities but I didn’t write them down as I wasn’t planning to report it at this time. I figured it’s Sunday and they won’t be reading the bug forum anyway so I’d see if the bug went away by itself first. I was planning to report it if it continued with new threads on Monday, with thread links for those.

I noticed it wasn’t updating properly. I looked at other threads posting dates and saw some irregularities but I didn’t write them down as I wasn’t planning to report it at this time. I figured it’s Sunday and they won’t be reading the bug forum anyway so I’d see if the bug went away by itself first. I was planning to report it if it continued with new threads on Monday, with thread links for those.

But of course the poster thinks its been doing this all along, which it clearly hasn't.. its only started happening since sometime today..Might be an artificial control on its visibility, I mean its reach 74 pages now and 10 days in, nothing lasts forever, but maybe a forum bug perhaps.. who knows.Not that its really that much of a concern now its kind of run its course... but its good some people can find something hilarious to post about before the end of the weekend I guess :)

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

But of course the poster thinks its been doing this all along, which it clearly hasn't.. its only started happening since sometime today..Might be an artificial control on its visibility, I mean its reach 74 pages now and 10 days in, nothing lasts forever, but maybe a forum bug perhaps.. who knows.Not that its really that much of a concern now its kind of run its course... but its good some people can find something hilarious to post about before the end of the weekend I guess :)

No I’ve noticed it the last week since I started posting in the thread, no matter how many new posts and their times thy haven’t updated to the front page and have only moved down as new topics are made /old topics get bumped.

I know why they would take this course of action, if they closed it then players would create new threads that appear on the front page they would have to close those ad nauseam, they take this action and the posters keep posting and it slowly makes its way further and further away from the front page and visibility from the general forum populace, and people will keep posting and not create another thread.

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

No I’ve noticed it the last week since I started posting in the thread, no matter how many new posts and their times thy haven’t updated to the front page and have only moved down as new topics are made /old topics get bumped.

I know why they would take this course of action, if they closed it then players would create new threads that appear on the front page they would have to close those ad nauseam, they take this action and the posters keep posting and it slowly makes its way further and further away from the front page and visibility from the general forum populace, and people will keep posting and not create another thread.

I’ve never seen them do such a thing before. Normally they’ll just close the thread and say this discussion has run its course. However I have seen bugs on the forum of various types. You of course can make your decision of what is more reasonable but I’ll use mine to decide that a bug is more likely since its affecting more than one thread and it’s not something that the Mods have ever done before.

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

Then we have seen different things I guess.. I have been interested and kept and eye on it throughout.. only since some time today did I notice it wasn't so visible, but even a hot potato cools down eventually, intentionally or not... Come next week when the next assault by JP likely commences, the thread will probably get its second wind. If you had kept close tabs, you might of read she's on vacation, so it's been a little more quiet on the western front these past few days... WW3 will recommence next week most likely.

I’ve never seen them do such a thing before. Normally they’ll just close the thread and say this discussion has run its course. However I have seen bugs on the forum of various types. You of course can make your decision of what is more reasonable but I’ll use mine to decide that a bug is more likely since its affecting more than one thread and it’s not something that the Mods have ever done before.

Same Flashy.. I've not seen them do that before either, it would serve no purpose to that now after 74pages and when its likely already of the decent .. I too think its a bug, but if they are doing something like that then that's up to them, its certainly not been less visible to me throughout the last 10 days except since this afternoon ish.

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

Same Flashy.. I've not seen them do that before either, it would serve no matter after 74pages to do it now when its already slowing down in postings.. I too think its a bug, but if they are doing something like that then that's up to them, its certainly not been less visible to me throughout the last 10 days except since this afternoon ish.

Yah. I prefer to use Occam’s razor on things like this.

Choice A: it’s a bug

• bugs are common
  • more than this thread is (or was at the time I checked) affected

Choice B: the devs/mods are deliberately choosing to hide the thread by locking it behind another thread.

• they’ve never done that before. They’ve always closed the thread if they’ve decided it’s gone on long enough.
  • This is a rental forum. It’s unlikely the dev or mods have the tools to do such a thing for a forum that doesn’t actually belong to them.

My conclusion, it’s a bug.

Same Flashy.. I've not seen them do that before either, it would serve no matter after 74pages to do it now when its already slowing down in postings.. I too think its a bug, but if they are doing something like that then that's up to them, its certainly not been less visible to me throughout the last 10 days except since this afternoon ish.

• bugs are common
  • more than this thread is affected

Choice B: the devs/mods are deliberately choosing to hide the thread by locking it behind another thread.
  • they’ve never done that before. They’ve always closed the thread if they’ve decided it’s gone on long enough.
  • This is a rental forum. It’s unlikely the dev or mods have the tools to do such a thing for a forum that doesn’t actually belong to them.

I asked you what other threads you claim this but is happening since you claimed that it was happening in others but oh have yet to provide those threads, from my observations on posting in multiple threads this is the only thread acting in this manner over the course of this week, so please if there are other threads acting in this exact fashion what are they?

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

• bugs are common

I asked you what other threads you claim this but is happening since you claimed that it was happening in others but oh have yet to provide those threads, from my observations on posting in multiple threads this is the only thread acting in this manner over the course of this week, so please if there are other threads acting in this exact fashion what are they?

Go ahead and believe it’s a plot by the mods/devs to suppress the thread. I’ll check the threads on Monday to see If the bug is continuing and report it then.

Edit: I’ll be unable to make a bug report thread. If you wish to know why you can private message me.

• bugs are common

I noticed it wasn’t updating properly. I looked at other threads posting dates and saw some irregularities
but I didn’t write them down as I wasn’t planning to report it at this time
. I figured it’s Sunday and they won’t be reading the bug forum anyway so I’d see if the bug went away by itself first. I was planning to report it if it continued with new threads on Monday, with thread links for those.

Go ahead and believe it’s a ploy by the mods/devs to suppress the thread, I’ll check the threads on Monday to see I’d the bug is continuing and report it then.

I’ve looked at the first 5 pages of this sub forum, every post is in chronological order except this one, so please you claimed that other threads had the same issue, so which ones are those?

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

• bugs are common

I noticed it wasn’t updating properly. I looked at other threads posting dates and saw some irregularities
. I figured it’s Sunday and they won’t be reading the bug forum anyway so I’d see if the bug went away by itself first. I was planning to report it if it continued with new threads on Monday, with thread links for those.

Go ahead and believe it’s a ploy by the mods/devs to suppress the thread, I’ll check the threads on Monday to see I’d the bug is continuing and report it then.

I’ve looked at the first 5 pages of this sub forum, every post is in chronological order except this one, so please you claimed that other threads had the same issue, so which ones are those?

/sigh

1) I said I didn’t write them down.2) the bug might be fixing itself or on threads you didn’t check

I know what I saw. If you want to believe the mods are doing something they’ve never done before then go ahead.

• bugs are common

/sigh

A) I said I didn’t write them down.B) the bug might be fixing itself or on threads you didn’t check

I know what I saw. If you want to believe the mods are doing something they’ve never done before then go ahead.

Convenient, you “saw” these other threads but can’t remember a single one yet they totally exist and you were going to made a bug ticket in reference to those “threads” (which you don’t remember).

Yet every thread I have posted on across multiple sub forums this past week behaves appropriately and every thread I have seen this past week except this one is in chronological order.

?

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

• bugs are common

/sigh

A) I said I didn’t write them down.B) the bug might be fixing itself or on threads you didn’t check

Convenient, you “saw” these other threads but can’t remember a single one yet they totally exist and you were going to made a bug ticket in reference to those “threads” (which you don’t remember).

Yet every thread I have posted on across multiple sub forums this past week behaves appropriately and every thread I have seen this past week except this one is in chronological order.

?

/shrug.

Believe what you want. I’m not in the habit of lying or making things up and the mods are not in the habit of locking threads behind other threads to hide them. They straightforwardly close the threads when they decide they’ve gone in long enough.

• bugs are common

I agree it's a bug, it actually started happening Friday night/Saturday morning...the only reason I know is I have this thread open in a separate tab from the index, and it would always reappear at the top of the list(after the pinned threads) now it's not doing that. Besides the fact that ArenaNet doesn't even own the software for this forum I highly doubt they have the control over it to just pick a single thread to keep it from advancing back up to the top of the page.

Also I imagine it will be more than just next week before we'll hear anything more on this, if we even do, I suspect it will be at least 2 weeks, after all, there's no reason to take such a short vacation. Speaking of vacations, there is another alternative to firing, and that is a suspension without pay...though it doesn't get rid of the employee permanently, it does hurt them financially and it give them time to reflect(in most cases, not all). So I think what should've been done differently from my perspective is first thing the morning of the 5th, put out an announcement that the company is aware of the situation, state that an internal investigation is in process and we're awaiting the return of vacationing leadership before rendering a decision. Then once that decision has been made, issue a new statement that simply says...the matter has been resolved internally, thank you for patronage(if you want to use corporate speak to make it more wordy be my guest, but I think simple is better...remember the KISS principle).

• bugs are common

/sigh

?

/shrug.

Believe what you want. I’m not in the habit if lying or making things up and the mods are not in the habit of locking threads behind other threads to hind them.

I will wait for these “threads” with the same “bug” or for the “bug” report to pop up so I can help add to the “bug” report.

And it’s clear why they wouldn’t want to lock it since if they lock it players will make more posts about this, as evidenced in other controversial thread that were locked.

• bugs are common

Pretty much this. The only reason why the moderators would resort to a shady tactic is if they couldn't resort to just closing the topic. At first, the outrage over the Price affair was so bad that they had to permit this thread to exist, but now that it is basically 5 people throwing dictionaries at each other, the thread can be closed without much hullabaloo.

@Mike O Brien.4613 said:Recently two of our employees failed to uphold our standards of communicating with players. Their attacks on the community were unacceptable. As a result, they’re no longer with the company.

I want to be clear that the statements they made do not reflect the views of ArenaNet at all. As a company we always strive to have a collaborative relationship with the Guild Wars community. We value your input. We make this game for you.

Mo

I don't see you doing the same other to Anet personnel who abuse and berate customers... (GMs and higher)

How can SOME of these people speak to customers like they do?, oh, because one was seen in public, not like me, who has seen more unkindness in emails and ruthlessness on the forums when one is polite but tells a truth that Anet is uncomfortable with.

@atheria.2837 said:

@Mike O Brien.4613 said:Recently two of our employees failed to uphold our standards of communicating with players. Their attacks on the community were unacceptable. As a result, they’re no longer with the company.

I want to be clear that the statements they made do not reflect the views of ArenaNet at all. As a company we always strive to have a collaborative relationship with the Guild Wars community. We value your input. We make this game for you.

Mo

I don't see you doing the same other to Anet personnel who abuse and berate customers... (GMs and higher)

How can
SOME
of these people speak to customers like they do?, oh, because one was seen in
public
, not like me, who has seen more unkindness in emails and ruthlessness on the forums when one is polite
but tells a truth that Anet is uncomfortable with.

What is this truth you speak of.. please elaborate on the facts that garner the truth in this topic.. or do you mean the truth according to one biased, controversial former employee who never thought to bring accusations of this nature to light until her own overindulgence of self gratification were invaded by .. a slight disagreement, thus spawning all manner of abuse and claims that until then had never seen the light of day... or do you mean from a couple of former employees that got duped into a fake rehire internet poll, who strangely enough also never cared to mention such injustice from within until someone else decided the best course of action was to now claim victim status once the community and the company saw through it all. Or do you mean the fact that this former employee actively took part and promoted company initiatives specifically aimed at promoting women in the workplace, or maybe the fact her position in the company was actually one that blocked her from a career where she could display her creativity and experience. Maybe its the truth surrounding her own admittance that she encouraged women to come work for the company because of how strongly she believed and felt about the it, who's own skills and competence were acknowledged by the company in providing the opportunity to play a pivotal role in leading the direction and narrative of the company's product.. for some time to come still.

Sure there have been jerks trolling and abusing on both sides of issue and that is uncalled for, but there is a cause and effect to consider here whilst also acknowledging that such jerks are, for the most part beyond the control of ANET. That said I see no telling of the truth that ANET was uncomfortable with in that MO statement.. unless you mean the uncomfortable truth that ANET has lost 2 employees, which will surely of been hard to see happen and that only serves to make throw extra workload and pressure on those members of the company who will have to attempt to keep up the pace of the product schedule.

@atheria.2837 said:

@"Mike O Brien.4613" said:Recently two of our employees failed to uphold our standards of communicating with players. Their attacks on the community were unacceptable. As a result, they’re no longer with the company.

Mo

How can
SOME
of these people speak to customers like they do?, oh, because one was seen in
public
, not like me, who has seen more unkindness in emails and ruthlessness on the forums when one is polite
but tells a truth that Anet is uncomfortable with.

Funny, I have spoken "truths" on the forum that put ANet in a bad light for over six years. I never get infracted or even spoken to by ANet for doing so. Nope, not once. The only infractions I ever got from a forum mod were for being rude, or for calling out other's for being rude to me. Maybe your version of polite is not as polite as you seem to think.

Archived