GW 2 Devs/Playerbase Twitter Discussion

You know, what happened on reddit or on YouTube isn’t even relevant. JP stepped out of line. Nothing more, nothing less.

...Still waiting on that quote that proves Deroir did something inappropriate. There is no ‘both sides did wrong’ here. Deroir did nothing.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After reading a lot of folks saying that the public outcry about the twitter posts was wrong and somehow limited in scope to "gamers" and "misogynists", it caused me a little chuckle to see this riding quickly up the front page of reddit:

https://www.thenation.com/article/the-social-shaming-of-racists-is-working/

Public outcry is becoming a common occurrence when people react in a way that is derogatory towards someone based on a protected class like race, gender, nationality or religion. An individual in this situation tried to make conversation and was shut down and shamed based only on their gender, and nothing else, so yea: there was going to be public outcry. What is interesting is that, in this case, many of the same people who would cheer it otherwise are considering it wrong or evil.

This is the reality of our country moving forward, like it or not. If you do something extra-shitty to someone, like be bigoted or derogatory to them publicly, this is the reaction type you can expect. It doesn't matter if you personally believe that someone should be fair game, because you don't happen to like their gender, or their race, or their religion. Your personal feelings will not quell the public's desire to bring swift justice for that sort of wrong.

@Dengar.1785 said:You know, what happened on reddit or on YouTube isn’t even relevant. JP stepped out of line. Nothing more, nothing less.

...Still waiting on that quote that proves Deroir did something inappropriate. There is no ‘both sides did wrong’ here. Deroir did nothing.

Deroir didn't do anything wrong. You can argue he was ignorant of scope when it came to game design (or any project actually since it's a generic term), but that's irrelevant to JP's reaction.

Question is. Where is the quote of the ones wanting a quote of Deroir doing something inappropriate? o.o

@BrotherBelial.3094 said:

@inubasiri.8745 said:Congratulations, some of you have just had 2 actual people fired. I hope it was worth being offended on the internet. Sick age we're living in.She was offended too. So was he. Because accountability is a sick age we live in. Amazing right?

Yeah well if everyone was accountable for making others offended on the internet, we'd all be in jail now. But I guess in this case only the devs got the short straw. As I said, congratulations people (you know who you are), your outcry was heard by the mighty Mo, you don't need to be offended anymore.Don't worry, the UK is working on that. lol

Great so now you agree with me?It's not a good idea for law to be punishing people based upon feelings. Because the law should be objective, not subjective. However in this case, we can look at objective and see clearly what was wrong.

But that's precisely the point. Was what they did illegal? If not why are they getting fired for it? Because it hurt someone's feelings which is why they made a reddit thread about it and other people went there and agreed with it. You have to self-censor yourself if you want to keep your job, then?

Illegal? I understand who you are replying to, and what they said, but the situation still had nothing to do with actual law. They were employees acting like kitten. More so Price since from what I saw of the other guy, crap was tame. I don't know if you know how businesses work, but normally you don't want employees attacking your fans/customers unprovoked. Also censor yourself? no. Just don't act like an kitten for no reason in this case. Unless the person is naturally an kitten, then yes, self-censor.

Yeah but they weren't acting as employees. Remember those were their personal accounts. My point isn't that she wasn't acting noxious, my point is that it should have no bearing on her employment. And also if someone didn't put it on reddit, most people wouldn't be offended by it because they wouldn't have known about it. Because what is said between individuals should sometimes just stay between individuals.

No.. sorry your incorrect imo.When someone openly advertises their workplace publicly and then puts out material that is absolutely work related then by their own choice they are putting themselves and the company into the public eye.. by offering out her pro tip AMA she decided, no one else, to put herself on the clock.. what ensued was a lack of professionalism and an abhorrent attack on a respectful community member, a content partner and a person who less than 24hrs previous was calling this person a God, someone he admired for her work.Simple fact is she let both herself down and the company in the way she acted and the things she decided to accuse the poster and similarly ANET of.. and continues to do so reading some of here journo interviews.. which hopefully no one in their right mind would take seriously knowing her history.

As you may have admitted in the end, it's more about her than what she said, isn't it? No really, I've gotten to the point of feeling that her most dedicated haters are all about what she is or said before than really what she did now. But that aside, I can talk about my work in my free time, can't I? It didn't put her on clock, because she wasn't paid for it. Yes, she has acted noxiously, but tbh who cares? She's a prickly person, sure, but the only reason we're having this discussion is because someone popularized it. Otherwise I doubt her twitter followers would have cared (probably because they know her). You do realize that what you're saying is that nobody basically has free time, they're always the company employee, that nobody really has any privacy, because they have to keep representing. And I'm pretty sure this works for politicians, but why should it apply for ordinary people.

Have some wisdom, please, this all can turn against all of us, eventually.

I'm sure the 13k followers she has know her...….. Really what she said in those tweets was asking for people to talk. it's twitter, it's a public forum, there is no private on there unless you set it as so. You if you start to talk about your work publicly, and who you work for, you instantly represent that company, ask anyone in HR or PR, I know a guy who got sacked for slating the place he worked for on Facebook, he even had his store managers as his friends on Facebook.

If you want your free time to be private, don't accept people from your work place as friends on Facebook/twitter or what ever else. Leave who you work for out of your bio, that way you don't represent anyone. You can be free from your job when ever your not in work, it's quite simple to do. I do it. I don't talk about my job, on the internet, I might give my job description, but not who I work for, and I most certainly do not put my views on my job on the internet for people to discuss and tell me how to do it/have feed back and talk about it. when I'm home I'm not in work, I'm not going to make that choice to put my self out there unless I'm in the right mindset for it, and it's in work time.

Bottom line is, she messed up. She pulled the sexism card when there was non. at lease not from what I saw in his post. Since being let go she has tried to make it about the fact she is a woman, she's ignoring the fact a male college who supported her abuse of someone who was just talking and being very polite about it, got fired as well. So yeah it must be all about her being a woman(!)

I don't know a single thing about her, I don't I'll admit that, nor did I have a clue who she was till all this happened. But as my first impression of her, she comes across as not a very nice person, I know we all have bad days, but if you're having a bad day, the internet is not the best place for anyone, and she found that out the hard way.

Basically what you're saying is that people should either be anonymous or censor themselves.

@Ashen.2907 said:

@inubasiri.8745 said:Congratulations, some of you have just had 2 actual people fired. I hope it was worth being offended on the internet. Sick age we're living in.She was offended too. So was he. Because accountability is a sick age we live in. Amazing right?

Yeah well if everyone was accountable for making others offended on the internet, we'd all be in jail now. But I guess in this case only the devs got the short straw. As I said, congratulations people (you know who you are), your outcry was heard by the mighty Mo, you don't need to be offended anymore.Don't worry, the UK is working on that. lol

Great so now you agree with me?It's not a good idea for law to be punishing people based upon feelings. Because the law should be objective, not subjective. However in this case, we can look at objective and see clearly what was wrong.

But that's precisely the point. Was what they did illegal? If not why are they getting fired for it? Because it hurt someone's feelings which is why they made a reddit thread about it and other people went there and agreed with it. You have to self-censor yourself if you want to keep your job, then?

Illegal? I understand who you are replying to, and what they said, but the situation still had nothing to do with actual law. They were employees acting like kitten. More so Price since from what I saw of the other guy, crap was tame. I don't know if you know how businesses work, but normally you don't want employees attacking your fans/customers unprovoked. Also censor yourself? no. Just don't act like an kitten for no reason in this case. Unless the person is naturally an kitten, then yes, self-censor.

Yeah but they weren't acting as employees. Remember those were their personal accounts. My point isn't that she wasn't acting noxious, my point is that it should have no bearing on her employment. And also if someone didn't put it on reddit, most people wouldn't be offended by it because they wouldn't have known about it. Because what is said between individuals should sometimes just stay between individuals.

No.. sorry your incorrect imo.When someone openly advertises their workplace publicly and then puts out material that is absolutely work related then by their own choice they are putting themselves and the company into the public eye.. by offering out her pro tip AMA she decided, no one else, to put herself on the clock.. what ensued was a lack of professionalism and an abhorrent attack on a respectful community member, a content partner and a person who less than 24hrs previous was calling this person a God, someone he admired for her work.Simple fact is she let both herself down and the company in the way she acted and the things she decided to accuse the poster and similarly ANET of.. and continues to do so reading some of here journo interviews.. which hopefully no one in their right mind would take seriously knowing her history.

As you may have admitted in the end, it's more about her than what she said, isn't it? No really, I've gotten to the point of feeling that her most dedicated haters are all about what she is or said before than really what she did now. But that aside, I can talk about my work in my free time, can't I? It didn't put her on clock, because she wasn't paid for it. Yes, she has acted noxiously, but tbh who cares? She's a prickly person, sure, but the only reason we're having this discussion is because someone popularized it. Otherwise I doubt her twitter followers would have cared (probably because they know her). You do realize that what you're saying is that nobody basically has free time, they're always the company employee, that nobody really has any privacy, because they have to keep representing. And I'm pretty sure this works for politicians, but why should it apply for ordinary people.

I, for one, am not saying that no one has free time. I am, however, saying that if, on your free tiime, that if you actively present yourself as a representative of your employer to your employer's customers and business partners you are making a choice that can have consequences.

If I worked for you, and on my day off I wore my company uniform, and carried a sign that I had made with company name and logo, and stood on the sidewalk in front of the business yelling and screaming racist and sexist epithets at your customers and business partners as they approached the business...

Would you want to continue to associate with me?

Well first and foremost, I'd call the cops. Then I'd sue you as I'd sue anyone who did that regardless of employment status. But you'd have done that out of spite, she stated she didn't think she was on the clock, so she wasn't deliberately doing it as an employee.

Afaik the convo went like: JP: Here's something extra; De: I disagree with something; JP: You're telling me what to do; De: Not really; JP: Go away

It turned "sexist" later when she started talking about getting mansplained somewhere sometime in the gaming industry which JF confirmed to be happening in the gaming industry.

@inubasiri.8745 said:

I'm sure the 13k followers she has know her...….. Really what she said in those tweets was asking for people to talk. it's twitter, it's a public forum, there is no private on there unless you set it as so. You if you start to talk about your work publicly, and who you work for, you instantly represent that company, ask anyone in HR or PR, I know a guy who got sacked for slating the place he worked for on Facebook, he even had his store managers as his friends on Facebook.

If you want your free time to be private, don't accept people from your work place as friends on Facebook/twitter or what ever else. Leave who you work for out of your bio, that way you don't represent anyone. You can be free from your job when ever your not in work, it's quite simple to do. I do it. I don't talk about my job, on the internet, I might give my job description, but not who I work for, and I most certainly do not put my views on my job on the internet for people to discuss and tell me how to do it/have feed back and talk about it. when I'm home I'm not in work, I'm not going to make that choice to put my self out there unless I'm in the right mindset for it, and it's in work time.

Bottom line is, she messed up. She pulled the sexism card when there was non. at lease not from what I saw in his post. Since being let go she has tried to make it about the fact she is a woman, she's ignoring the fact a male college who supported her abuse of someone who was just talking and being very polite about it, got fired as well. So yeah it must be all about her being a woman(!)

I don't know a single thing about her, I don't I'll admit that, nor did I have a clue who she was till all this happened. But as my first impression of her, she comes across as not a very nice person, I know we all have bad days, but if you're having a bad day, the internet is not the best place for anyone, and she found that out the hard way.

Basically what you're saying is that people should either be anonymous or censor themselves.

People should either be anonymous or *civil.**

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

Totally incorrect.. its all about what she said whether it be in her latest outburst to deroir or previous attacks resulting in here being released .She may think she is defending something but there is a time, a place and actual issues that warrants it.. this attempt at respectful open dialogue did not and only paints JP with the very substance at which we know are very real issues in society today no matter what your political preferences are.You like JP are trying to take something and plaster it over something completely harmless.. fact there was no ground or cause for JP to act like she did and say what she said other than for effect and perhaps a bit of "hey look at me" and its backfired on her... actions have consequence and its not the first time that lesson was given by all accounts.

As for repping ANET.. yes when she decided (no one else) to continue her AMA work by adding her own pro tip addendum to it whilst openly advertising she is an ANET dev on her Account she put herself on the clock to discuss with the community, work related content.. there is simply no argument to that and that is why her unprofessional, disrespectful and darn right obnoxious rant session caused the uproar and landed her in ANETS's and MO crosshairs.. it's that simple.As a company owner I would of taken the exact same view and also called that meeting... what we of course don't know, as I have said previously, is what went down at that point and whether there were already some undercurrents which caused the decisions to fire her to be made.. heck we don't even know if that's actually what MO wanted from all this.. except some one side gamerjourno rubbish that JP rushed to push out.

Ah I see you tend to ignore the rules for discussion that Gaile put up.Also how can you speak for others with your "totally incorrect"? You can't, I believe, so your statement is not based in logic.She has numerously stated that she sees a difference between being in her personal twitter feed and corporate one and she acted accordingly. Mo then treated it as a professional CEO quelling a PR disaster. But the disaster has come out of some people in the community who got offended over her words, rather than her words themselves. And no you can't be back on the clock for mentioning the work you do, as I said you don't get paid for it. As I said she wasn't paid for it. It was not on company time, it was not on clock. Do you understand that term?

After running my own business for 23 years.. I Think so.

As for logic.. you appear to lack the understanding of what it means.. if you want to discuss work related content to your customers you are representing your employer that is a clear undeniable fact, something you seem to be overlooking.Whether it be in work or out of work if an individual advertising their employer and choosing to promote or converse work related content with customers.. yes the community is ANET's customer, whether they have bought the product or simply keep track of the product.. they are a potential customer or an actual customer, that individual is representing their employer.. If you don't want to use your private time, your private space in which to conduct work related ideas and conversation then it's that simple.. don't put it out here for public consumption, keep it private or you know.. conduct yourself in the professional manner and act like the experienced professional that you (in this case JP) claims to be... alternatively don't say anything at all use the ignore/block tools that are there for a reason..

A s for ANET stepping in.. your absolutely right there was a PR disaster waiting to unfold.. but you or I have no clue what went down the next day back at ANET and you do not know what else might of also happened internally leading up to that point and you have nothing more than heresay and conjecture to base your assumption on that it was in the reddit brigade that got JP and PF fired, as sad as that is for them and the rest of the company.. fact is it was all self induced consequence.

One last thing.. When choosing to fight against injustice or intolerance.. firstly determine if there is a battle to fight in the first place and then conduct yourself in a way that doesn't make you out to be or paint others unjustly to be the very thing your fighting against.. makes sense AMIRIGHT!

Just a suggestion: You probably should stop using fallacies like "you don't know nothing about..." which is obviously ridiculous and basically just acts as ad hominem and focus on the argument. It would appear more genuine.

The problem with private twitter is that it is not supposed to be a direct comm channel to the customers. But it so happened to be this time. If it was on the Anet forums / directly on AMA / Anet stream / any official channel, I'd have no qualms. I don't even object to how Mo handled it, I think it was the right thing to do.

All I'm doing here is blaming some members of the community for this and the general snowflakism in society that caused this. Is she a politician, where opinions can affect how that person votes? Did those noxious tweets affect her work until then? The problem was someone's feelings were hurt and they decided to post about their outrage on the internet.

@inubasiri.8745 said:

No they don't have to do anything of the sort, but if, like in this case someone is unable to, or unwilling to accept differing opinions and "amateur" critique then sure, if it can help... or of course put some of that "professional experience" to good use along with a little common-sense and a modicum of common courtesy... is it really that hard.Or, are you trying to say that when you place 'x' number of pages of work related pro tips and opinions onto a public portal for your followers, friends and larger community to consume, your not expecting it to generate interest, opinion, challenges or just plain old conversation??.. or was it meant just for one gender to respond and not the other?.... if so then yeah censor yourself or make it private... but JP I guess had a tough time accepting why those options and the option to of simply ignored the poster/blocked the poster if it was causing distress, were right there as a backup option.Of course lets look beyond the initial rants.. why after the poster has respectfully apologised for any distress his replies might of caused, did JP decide nah.. I want more than a pound of flesh, I want the whole corpse and went full bloodlust.. was there a need ? or was there an angle, a narrative in mid she just wanted to push at any opportunity? - either way actions have consequence and that is the lesson of the day.

@inubasiri.8745 said:

No... Just don’t be a kitten.

@Scud.5067 said:

People should either be anonymous or *
civil
.**

Sure but if you apply it to the corporate world that isn't enough. You can't simply criticize the corporation, even if it's civil.

@inubasiri.8745 said:

civil
.**

Sure but if you apply it to the corporate world that isn't enough. You can't simply criticize the corporation, even if it's civil.

Er.. you can. I do - we call them meetings.

o_o

Obviously, tact is required.

I never thought i would post on a GW2 forum, I never even thought I would play GW2, but here I am. My partner has been playing for years and eventually wore me down. I just started playing a couple of weeks ago and I am obsessed. The story keeps getting better and better.

I just wanted to express my disappointment about this Jessica Price deal. The language that the fan chose while correcting Jessica was condescending, and I don't understand why this is even a thing people are arguing about. He might not have been aware of it, or intended it, but I think it was her full right to call him out on it. From what we have heard, this twitter rant is the reason Jessica and Fries were fired. Ive tried to see this from Arenanets side but i just cannot support it. I can't agree with a company trying to silence their employees. This was a woman tired of men trying to explain to her how to do her job, she defended herself and her work at arenanet, and got fired for it. I do not think calling a fan an asshat is a legitimate reason to fire someone. They should have defended their staff.

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

No they don't have to do anything of the sort, but if, like in this case someone is unable to, or unwilling to accept differing opinions and "amateur" critique then sure, if it can help... or of course put some of that "professional experience" to good use along with a little common-sense and a modicum of common courtesy... is it really that hard.Or, are you trying to say that when you place 'x' number of pages of work related pro tips and opinions onto a public portal for your followers, friends and larger community to consume, your not expecting it to generate interest, opinion, challenges or just plain old conversation??.. or was it meant just for one gender to respond and not the other?.... if so then yeah censor yourself or make it private... but I guess your still going to have a tough time accepting why those options and the option to of simply ignored the poster/blocked the poster if it was causing distress, were right there as a backup option.Of course lets look beyond the initial rants.. why after the poster has respectfully apologised for any distress his replies might of caused, did JP decide nah.. I want more than a pound of flesh, I want the whole corpse and went full bloodlust.. was there a need ? or was there an angle, a narrative in mid she just wanted to push at any opportunity? - either way actions have consequence and that is the lesson of the day.

Yeah I agree. I'm not even defending her particularly - I don't like her personality. Her reaction was defensive and rude.But it's about the principle: I don't like the lynching mob mentality surrounding all of this, because the mentality WILL backfire. Not in this game maybe, not in this community, but it will. I don't care about political or whatever opinions of the people of Anet. But people should also be at least aware that this is no longer hurt feelings, someone just got actually fired. And afaik JF has a family...Again with the ad hominem. Do you really NEED to include them? Does that make feel you better? Do you want to talk about it?

@mewbee.6489 said:The language that the fan chose while correcting Jessica was condescending..

How was it condescending?

Do you know their intent?

We're talking about someone who proclaimed their respect for JP days before, live, publicly.

An employee was hostile, resorted to bullying and name calling.

Over what? A question? Then an apology? Then a brief expression of sadness, followed by another apology and politely walking away?

Her behaviour reflected terribly on her - and the company.

And in doing so she jeopardized the reputation and livelihood of her fellow Anet employees.

Life can be a tough place -- and taking out our frustrations on the closest target is terrible way of dealing with it.

@inubasiri.8745 said:

civil
.**

And there in lies the answer to you big question.. if you place yourself into a position where you are offering out ideas and opinions of a work related substance and then just jump into full on rage with aggressive, offensive, sexist, racist "insert other" undertone then expect your employer to have a say..Lets be honest here, if JP had simply brushed the poster aside with a snide remark or a simple.. I dont wish to consider your opinions or comments thankyou or simply ignored/blocked then ANET might of said something to her, but fire her - probably not.But that is not went down and you know it went a lot further and lot nastier with some pretty disturbing undertones to it - that in my book would of been a case for gross misconduct and befitting instant dismissal any day of the week.

I agree with you though, there are portions of the twitter and reddit community who acted just as terribly and probably for no other reason than they could but ANET have no control of that, especially if those posters have no link to the game and no real vested interest other than seizing a chance to cause panic, pandemonium and distress through their attempts to troll... but I back ANET and MO to of risen above those types and arrived at their decisions to fire through careful consideration of the facts, following due process, the legal standpoints and direct dialogue with both the individuals concerned.

@inubasiri.8745 said:

I, for one, am not saying that no one has free time. I am, however, saying that if, on your free tiime, that if you actively present yourself as a representative of your employer to your employer's customers and business partners you are making a choice that can have consequences.

If I worked for you, and on my day off I wore my company uniform, and carried a sign that I had made with company name and logo, and stood on the sidewalk in front of the business yelling and screaming racist and sexist epithets at your customers and business partners as they approached the business...

Would you want to continue to associate with me?

Well first and foremost, I'd call the cops. Then I'd sue you as I'd sue anyone who did that regardless of employment status. But you'd have done that out of spite, she stated she didn't think she was on the clock, so she wasn't deliberately doing it as an employee.

Afaik the convo went like: JP: Here's something extra; De: I disagree with something; JP: You're telling me what to do; De: Not really; JP: Go away

It turned "sexist" later when she started talking about getting mansplained somewhere sometime in the gaming industry which JF confirmed to be happening in the gaming industry.

The question was not about spite.

People have made the argument that the employee speaking on their own time while not technically on work premises, even if presenting themself as representing the company while interacting with the company's customers and business partners about its business, should not face any consequences for actions taken against the company's interest.

So, standing in front of your business, on a public sidewalk, wearing company uniform, carrying a homemade company logo/sign, screaming abusive epithets at customers and business partners approaching the building due to interest in the company's products must be acceptible?

Or when its your business it becomes not OK?

@inubasiri.8745 said:

No they don't have to do anything of the sort, but if, like in this case someone is unable to, or unwilling to accept differing opinions and "amateur" critique then sure, if it can help... or of course put some of that "professional experience" to good use along with a little common-sense and a modicum of common courtesy... is it really that hard.Or, are you trying to say that when you place 'x' number of pages of work related pro tips and opinions onto a public portal for your followers, friends and larger community to consume, your not expecting it to generate interest, opinion, challenges or just plain old conversation??.. or was it meant just for one gender to respond and not the other?.... if so then yeah censor yourself or make it private... but I guess your still going to have a tough time accepting why those options and the option to of simply ignored the poster/blocked the poster if it was causing distress, were right there as a backup option.Of course lets look beyond the initial rants.. why after the poster has respectfully apologised for any distress his replies might of caused, did JP decide nah.. I want more than a pound of flesh, I want the whole corpse and went full bloodlust.. was there a need ? or was there an angle, a narrative in mid she just wanted to push at any opportunity? - either way actions have consequence and that is the lesson of the day.

Yeah I agree. I'm not even defending her particularly - I don't like her personality. Her reaction was defensive and rude.But it's about the principle: I don't like the lynching mob mentality surrounding all of this, because the mentality WILL backfire. Not in this game maybe, not in this community, but it will. I don't care about political or whatever opinions of the people of Anet. But people should also be at least aware that this is no longer hurt feelings, someone just got actually fired. And afaik JF has a family...Again with the ad hominem. Do you really NEED to include them? Does that make feel you better? Do you want to talk about it?

Actually your right the suggestive comment directed at you was poorly worded on my part and for that I apologise - in fact in hindsight it was not even necessary and I have reworded accordingly.

As for your point regarding the fact that people got fired.. yes its not good for all parties concerned - I have already said this previously as have I regarding the firing of PF. This decision is a lot less clear to me, which is why I have also said no one but those at ANET and the 2 individuals know what went down in the meetings before the decisions to fire were made. Additionally none of us know what other issues may also of been already documented regarding either or both of those employees.For me I think the PF one will remain a mystery, except to add.. he was a long standing member of the company and as such surely should of considered and weighed up whether deciding to jump in and get tangled up in al this was the right thing to do against the potential ramifications.. Personally I think he made a bad call is all and a slap of the wrist with a warning might of been sufficient, but who knows maybe there was more to his story. Unlike JP though he is certainly being a lot more professional about this and tight lipped, unless I have missed something in the last 24hrs (quite possible).

@"mewbee.6489" said:The language that the fan chose while correcting Jessica was condescending, and I don't understand why this is even a thing people are arguing about.

Explain, elaborate....

Because literally nothing Derior said or asked about was stated in any form that can remotely be considered condescending. He was not speaking down toward her at any point, expressing a opposing viewpoint even if from an unqualified source doesn't make it any less valid a discussion to have.

You know what is condescending her replies. "Thanks for telling me what we do internally my dude 9_9" and the following "Today in being a female game dev Let me....etc."

If you put out a paper explaining your viewpoints, you as the "Authority in your field" had better have the cognitive faculties to understand and express with no need to attack the person why they are mistaken. A simple, "Hey Derior, that's an interesting point, we debate this internally a lot and have found that given or limited time scale from development to release we cannot feasiby have a robust branching dialogue system. We do understand the complex task of making the PC (Player Character) relevant and strive to hit that with every release we can."

Now how hard is that ? I ain't even a professional speaker, or social media expert....Crisis averted no mention of genitalia required, no snide and actually condescending remarks either.

@mewbee.6489 said:I never thought i would post on a GW2 forum, I never even thought I would play GW2, but here I am. My partner has been playing for years and eventually wore me down. I just started playing a couple of weeks ago and I am obsessed. The story keeps getting better and better.

I just wanted to express my disappointment about this Jessica Price deal. The language that the fan chose while correcting Jessica was condescending, and I don't understand why this is even a thing people are arguing about. He might not have been aware of it, or intended it, but I think it was her full right to call him out on it. From what we have heard, this twitter rant is the reason Jessica and Fries were fired. Ive tried to see this from Arenanets side but i just cannot support it. I can't agree with a company trying to silence their employees. This was a woman tired of men trying to explain to her how to do her job, she defended herself and her work at arenanet, and got fired for it. I do not think calling a fan an kitten is a legitimate reason to fire someone. They should have defended their staff.

For the bajillionth time... Which part was condescending? Where is your evidence? I’m getting so sick and tired of accusations without evidence.

Furthermore, he wasn’t just any old fan, he was a partnered content creator. And even without that, bullying your customer, especially without provocation, will get you fired amywhere.

@Dragon.4032 said:

@"Batel.9206" said:So, for the people who defend Price, please explain this to me: why are her actions acceptable? Why is what she said appropriate? Why is celebrating the death of a well-known streamer okay? Why is cursing someone out with no provocation a good thing to do?

"Confronting sexism" isn't a valid excuse here. As Saelenthi pointed out, tone is infamously difficult to discern on the internet. Where is the sexism in Deroir's post? And EVEN IF THERE WAS, Price is an employee at a company, PUBLICLY REPRESENTING that company. It is her JOB to be one of the public faces of that company, to be professional and polite, because she does not represent herself, she represents the company. Privately - to a friend on the phone or in person or whatever - she's free to complain all she wants! But NOT in a public space, and NOT while she is representing a company.

Your logic is all hotchpotch. I'm already certain telling you anything would make any sense. Her personal twitter account is not owned by Anet. She has every right to say whatever she wants in her own space. Public doesn't mean she has no legitimacy of her own but to go with what everyone dishes out.

Thing is, it wasn't her own private space. She was representing ArenaNet by proclaiming she's an employee. I don't do twitter, so I'm not sure what you'd call the little blurb of information that briefly describes the twitter account...in any case, Price not only was representing ArenaNet, she was talking about ArenaNet in many, many posts. She is an employee of the company in a public space. Heh, "go with what everyone dishes out..." See, the flaw there is assuming there are only two ways to deal with something:1) Lash out against people who minorly disagree, as Price did2) Paste a fake smile on and reply in a tone so sickeningly joyous, rainbows and sparkles are exploding from every word, all the while your soul is dying inside from the facade you must put on - but hey, the customer is happy! And that's what matters...[twitch]...th-that's what matters......why not "Hey, thanks for commenting! While you have interesting suggestions, the reason why we can't do this is [explanation]." Polite. Professional. Says the exact same thing in a different tone. There is no bending over backward to customers' wishes. There is no sacrificing your own self-esteem, your own self-worth, your own whatever just to make a customer happy. Or, heck, Price could have simply chosen to not respond.Whatever happened to self control and common courtesy? Whatever Price may personally think of Deroir - indeed, of the entire GW2 fanbase - it is her job to remain professional while she represents ArenaNet.Also, why is my logic hotchpotch? You just say that...and then you don't say why. Accusations without base tend to fall flat.

Don't be so naive, or maybe your intentionally biased like most of everyone. And you are debating over her remark on a twitch streamer who died, you seem mighty vengeful over someone you have no personal relations with, and yet you are quick to jump on Jessica who contributed to a game product that you are able to play. talk about hypocrisy.

Why am I naive? How is that hypocritical? I'd be rather ticked off if Price said (paraphrased) "The only good thing I can say about this is that I'm glad he's no longer around to do any harm" about nearly anyone who died. (Nearly. If it's a known terrorist or something, I'd nod in grim agreement, but we're talking about a single guy on youtube.)

Although I would agree she wasn't at her most appropriate self but neither was Mike by firing her and Fries. You players are enjoying this rash decision bit too much with sexism excuse. She is a female dev, whether you needed to be reminded of or not. Either way she was right on her own standings. You guys just prefer the rose without the thorn. Go home.

So...solely because she's female, that makes her right?Well then.Solely because I'm female, that makes me right. So why are you arguing with me? Are you trying to mansplain? Or are you another woman who's repressed by internalized misogyny!?/sarcasm over now...it gets really insane when you break it down to that level and start trying to see EVERYTHING as sexist, racist, etc. I'm a woman, and I believe both men and women should be accountable to their actions in equal measure. If a man cursed out a woman for "telling him how to do his job," when all the woman did was politely offer a mild disagreement, then the man should be disciplined. That's not appropriate, especially in a public setting. If a woman cursed out a man for "telling her how to do her job," when all the man did was politely offer a mild disagreement, then the woman should be disciplined. That, too, is not appropriate, especially in a public setting.Or, for heaven's sakes, take gender out of the equation entirely. If an employee cursed out a customer for "telling them how to do their job," when all the customer did was politely offer a mild disagreement, then the employee should be disciplined. Doesn't matter if the employee or customer are men or women; that's not appropriate for the employee's representation of the company they work for.

And you still didn't really answer my question of "Why is what Deroir said sexist?" and "Why is what Price said acceptable?"

@Ardid.7203 said:Lets just celebrate another triumph of the mob mentality. At this point we could even make a drinking game of it...It clear nobody listened to Ventari in this.

Why do people keep blaming mob mentality for an employee’s own failures? The mob didn’t make Anet fire them, they themselves did.

.... a lot to read here, if i have the time and mood i will, propably...

actually, while ingame, i always think ... how many of this poison ... (mean the bad thinking about players) has find its way into the game content? I know since 2013 in some places in GW2 the situation, scene, ambiente (i could not define it exactly) leaves me angry, somehow an undefined feeling that something with the game is wrong, not always but in several situations it feels like (only trying to describe it here) "we the creators - gods - at arenanet" will show you lamer / player how lame you really are, will teach you that we and only we have knowledge, we will manipulate you to do as we wish, learn to loose! I warn here its only a description how i felt myself while playing / experiencing such situations and not a fact, it felt as such. It was an awful experience. Reflecting what happens last days, which leads to this huge discussion, it may be that her behavior - awful but honest - was a breach in the fassade, her behavior has roots / causes, came it from a culture there well paid creators think as such about us as players? in the sense - "we creators are upperclass and the gamers / players / customers are lowerclass - we - the creators - play with them, we fool them and no one has the right and knowledge to criticize us" Again i describe my feelings here ... i want to express them ... also because i'm thinking about to leave the game once and for all ... its not the fact, the event that was happen on twitter. Its because i loose my trust in the creators of GW2, and the reason and force which drives those creators to create content for GW2 is since the event questionable - i say this with the thought in mind, that her behavior is not a single case or accident, rather part / scent of a culture and she was crazy enough to say it loud or while loosing her 'contenance'.

Please understand me right, my thoughts were always how awesome those creators must be, how lucky we customers must be that we can experience their great creations in hours of enjoyment. I have seen those ppl always as idols, i want to follow their paths and want to create things in 2D and 3D, as sense of life, to be creative. But now this disaster, and the questionable events which i was facing ingame while playing - maybe its my fatal fault to see there any relation, but at least the trust is gone. I'm no more convinced that her bad behavior was an accident, a unique case.... maybe its the media twitter who has caused it and not culture under creators, but i cant tell / decide.

I must mention here that we as players, the viewers / visitors of this artwork named GW2, can read the emotions and sense which the creator has and want to express, even if we have not the knowledge / grade to describe the reasons / technical facts. Also we read / feel / experience the mood and sense of an artwork, very personally / private, it can differ from player to player, driven by their background and how much attention they spend at this artwork. Two layers - the things which driving the creator and what the creator wish to express to us - it is just human.

I say this also in prediction of the case then i please the support to delete my account, i can not tell technical facts or (law) reasons, i can say it feels bad actually ingame because i'm no longer convinced, in other words, i do not believe in GW2, Tyria and the characters / npcs in there... IF they are created by ppl like JP. it feels no more immersive to be in Tyria... or call it 'i have lost the touch to Tyria'. Its just difficult to describe, bare with me and please keep in mind english is not my main language.

@Dengar.1785 said:

@Ardid.7203 said:Lets just celebrate another triumph of the mob mentality. At this point we could even make a drinking game of it...It clear nobody listened to Ventari in this.

Why do people keep blaming mob mentality for an employee’s own failures? The mob didn’t make Anet fire them, they themselves did.

If that were true, they wouldn't have fired the second dev. And they would have fired her way sooner, not now. Anet acted because the mob, nothing else.

Archived