Meteor Wars!

Straegen.2938

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Sander.8249 said:its like the meteor atm just ignores toughness.No, even on no toughness gear it hits harder than expected. Got a meteor oneshot yesterday. That did never happen before to me in the game and I play since release.

Maybe it ignores not just toughness but armor in general. So it's like we are all walking in white gear.

Btw. An ele downstate lava font oneshotted me too yesterday. That's also a new experience. But in contrast to the metor shower issue I could imagine this was due to lag, so I might have received all 4 hits at once.

@Amorimm.6732 said:

3 Don't make a stealth snipe class (Deadeyes) able to 1 shot majority of classes, so revert that too thanks

as long as i still get ingame whispers of selfproclaimed good players that deadeyes can only kill bad players (after i gank them little unfairly) i dont think we are going to see a nerf. because people refuse to agree that deadeye is strong and if they claim its strong they often name the wrong aspects.

@KrHome.1920 said:

@Sander.8249 said:its like the meteor atm just ignores toughness.No, even on no toughness gear it hits harder than expected. Got a meteor oneshot yesterday. That did never happen before to me in the game and I play since release.

Maybe it ignores not just toughness but armor in general. So it's like we are all walking in white gear.

Btw. An ele downstate lava font oneshotted me too yesterday. That's also a new experience. But in contrast to the metor shower issue I could imagine this was due to lag, so I might have received all 4 hits at once.

yup the dmg is crazy atm, ive played weaver alot in wvw and never done so much dmg, as im doing after the 10/7 patch :P

@Sander.8249 said:

@Sander.8249 said:its like the meteor atm just ignores toughness. i was running almost full marauder + meta traits.

Yes, its almost like meteor completely ignores toughness when you run with 0 toughness.

Anyway, meteors was already hitting for insane damage before (seen 8-10k on 2k toughness). I didnt really notice anything much worse tuesday/wednesday, but maybe that was just my particular fights.

I honestly also prefer that style of combat. I mean sure they do a ton of damage, but eles melt even to bruiser builds and it makes flanking strikes by focus parties more important, unlike the normal bunker scourge carpet meta which is practicly impossible to flank. Dont really expect it to change much though.

you are taking my full statement out a context. i said what my meteor hits where, and then i said its like the meteor just ignores toughness atm and im clearly talking about outgoing dmg and not incoming dmg'. then i say what gear i was running . ofc i understand that i dont have toughness when i run almost full marauder

Of course it was out of context on the whole, it was just those sentences together and I didnt even need to change that, you set up yourself lol.

Either way, it'll take at least a week until we see whether this have any impact on the meta. I still doubt it, since ele in general is harder to play than a faceroll scourge. Maybe we'll see more hybrid eles again that combines the less-than-zerker-but-still-high damage with more healing for the zerg.

I don't know if meteo is bugged or not. I haven't seen any numbers significantly higher than before this patch. I have screenshots of 18k+ hits on marauder fire / arcana setups from before this patch and videos of consistent 10k+ hits against unorganised groups or organised groups who are getting shadespiked / bubbled. I do feel i'm now doing this high-end dmg a lot more often in general.

Some things to consider : The main protection uptime in zergs was nerfed by 33% (legendary lore). Scourges are now running more corrupts and less pure condi damage considering dhuumfire nerf. Players also finally stopped ranting about corrupts and started realising the main "spike" damage comes from organised dps and power dps for the last 2-3 patches now. I've also seen considerably less scourges; which means less barriers.

It's possible that something is wrong with the power / armor scaling. It's also possible players just lack protection a LOT more often. Even before these changes, most groups did not manage good protection uptimes. With firebrand being nerfed and many groups not even playing enough firebrands to begin with and the amount of corrupts in the meta increase as we move away from condi-DPS in favor of strips; i'm not suprised that players are taking more power damage.

Ele was never viable against fully buffed opponents; see HoT and has always been strong in combination with necro corrupts, see every single pirateship meta this game has had.

For WvW; weaver could use nerfs. That said, I don't see why they'd nerf lavafont over meteor shower for WvW. In fact, they buffed meteo with the PvE nerfs; then nerfed lavafont for PvE again. It has relocated weaver from a stable, consistent DPS option to a very spike-heavy dps option. Weaver overall damage isn't too high, but it's spike damage on meteor is quite out of control. Just shift power from meteo (high end crits, mostly) back to lavafont and it's fine. (WvW only; frankly just give PvP full power on both because staff will never be a relevant PvP dps option)

Either way, unorganised groups will always get farmed easily. They are by definition not speccing into counters. And weaver in WvW as main damage source is great against pug blobs; but lets see how it performs against high end groups who can spec into counters. Weaver still struggles with sustain and getting spiked, struggles with dealing with counter pressure. We can always go back to HoT style of stacking damage reduction and reduce meteo damage to 1/4th of what it hits on squishies.

@Bigpapasmurf.5623 said:Meteor Shower: Fixed a bug that caused the minimum damage of this skill to be higher than intended. The expected minimum damage has been increased from 10% to 20%.

Could that be why people are feeling it more?

No because you never take that minimum damage since it would require you to get hit like 8 times or more.

@Bigpapasmurf.5623 said:Meteor Shower: Fixed a bug that caused the minimum damage of this skill to be higher than intended. The expected minimum damage has been increased from 10% to 20%.

@steki.1478 is correct.

However, does anyone else see the problem with the quoted text?

• Meteor Shower: Fixed a bug that caused the minimum damage of this skill to be higher than intended. The expected minimum damage has been increased from 10% to 20%.

So....... if minimum damageWas higher than intended, why increase the minimum damage again?

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@Bigpapasmurf.5623 said:Meteor Shower: Fixed a bug that caused the minimum damage of this skill to be higher than intended.
The expected minimum damage has been increased from 10% to 20%.

@steki.1478 is correct.

• Meteor Shower: Fixed a bug that caused the minimum damage of this skill to be higher than intended. The expected minimum damage has been increased from 10% to 20%.

So....... if minimum damageWas higher than intended, why increase the minimum damage again?

The wording is what got me as it can be taken a couple ways.

@Bigpapasmurf.5623 said:

@Bigpapasmurf.5623 said:Meteor Shower: Fixed a bug that caused the minimum damage of this skill to be higher than intended.

@steki.1478 is correct.

Agreed. I would love to know if it's a typo, or if the dmg got buffed.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@steki.1478 is correct.

Agreed. I would love to know if it's a typo, or if the dmg got buffed.

I took it that the damage got buffed myself (hence why i mentioned it) but maybe i was wrong.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@steki.1478 is correct.

I think the tooltip was 10% but it was actually turned out to be around 20% in the game. They corrected the bug to match the tooltip with what happened in game. Then they buffed the minimum damage to a higher number as they seem to have been fine with the results of the past patch.

So they corrected the dmg to 10%, as this was a bug, and then buffed that to 20%.

@Zunki.3916 said:

@steki.1478 is correct.

I think the tooltip was 10% but it was actually turned out to be around 20% in the game. They corrected the bug to match the tooltip with what happened in game. Then they buffed the minimum damage to a higher number as they seem to have been fine with the results of the past patch.

So they corrected the dmg to 10%, as this was a bug, and then buffed that to 20%.

Which means that nothing was fixed, they just updated tooltip to 20%. Quality changes.

@steki.1478 said:

@steki.1478 is correct.

Which means that nothing was fixed, they just updated tooltip to 20%. Quality changes.

Yeah, and the issue seems to be that the patch was supposed to correct the tooltip to make it read what it was doing.BUT...what they have actually done is just increased the base damage by 20% over what it was already doing in game.Intended? or typical "we didn't test this well (or at all)?

@Ubi.4136 said:

@steki.1478 is correct.

Yeah, and the issue seems to be that the patch was supposed to correct the tooltip to make it read what it was doing.BUT...what they have actually done is just increased the base damage by 20% over what it was already doing in game.Intended? or typical "we didn't test this well (or at all)?

Yeah it sure looks like the base damage was upped by 20%. This would explain the 18k+ meteors in a row since % damage increases like force and scholars scale multiplicative with alot of things therefore adding alot more damage than just 10/5%.

@LightBrave.5638 said:god bless. that frontloaded damage on meteor. before i stood in meteor showers, now i am split between do i get out or risk getting 1 shot or stay and dump waters on those caught its power too. Theres not enough healing around if too many meteors are dropped.

There for sure is enofe barrier though lol.

Still a bug and realty MS was easy to counter with barrier.

@"Etheri.5406" said:I don't know if meteo is bugged or not. I haven't seen any numbers significantly higher than before this patch. I have screenshots of 18k+ hits on marauder fire / arcana setups from before this patch and videos of consistent 10k+ hits against unorganised groups or organised groups who are getting shadespiked / bubbled. I do feel i'm now doing this high-end dmg a lot more often in general.

Some things to consider : The main protection uptime in zergs was nerfed by 33% (legendary lore). Scourges are now running more corrupts and less pure condi damage considering dhuumfire nerf. Players also finally stopped ranting about corrupts and started realising the main "spike" damage comes from organised dps and power dps for the last 2-3 patches now. I've also seen considerably less scourges; which means less barriers.

It's possible that something is wrong with the power / armor scaling. It's also possible players just lack protection a LOT more often. Even before these changes, most groups did not manage good protection uptimes. With firebrand being nerfed and many groups not even playing enough firebrands to begin with and the amount of corrupts in the meta increase as we move away from condi-DPS in favor of strips; i'm not suprised that players are taking more power damage.

Ele was never viable against fully buffed opponents; see HoT and has always been strong in combination with necro corrupts, see every single pirateship meta this game has had.

For WvW; weaver could use nerfs. That said, I don't see why they'd nerf lavafont over meteor shower for WvW. In fact, they buffed meteo with the PvE nerfs; then nerfed lavafont for PvE again. It has relocated weaver from a stable, consistent DPS option to a very spike-heavy dps option. Weaver overall damage isn't too high, but it's spike damage on meteor is quite out of control. Just shift power from meteo (high end crits, mostly) back to lavafont and it's fine. (WvW only; frankly just give PvP full power on both because staff will never be a relevant PvP dps option)

Either way, unorganised groups will always get farmed easily. They are by definition not speccing into counters. And weaver in WvW as main damage source is great against pug blobs; but lets see how it performs against high end groups who can spec into counters. Weaver still struggles with sustain and getting spiked, struggles with dealing with counter pressure. We can always go back to HoT style of stacking damage reduction and reduce meteo damage to 1/4th of what it hits on squishies.

Speaking from my experience I was hit for 15,994 on the first strike of a meteor while having protection (obviously me on a cloth glass build). I'll take the word of an experienced weaver that it's normal but prior to the patch the highest I'd ever been hit was 12k using an identical setup. On 3 unique completely unrelated occasions the night of the patch I was hit for over 15k which is why it seemed to me like the damage was more noticeable.

It's possible I've never been hit before by the first meteor strike and I happened to be that night.

@Hackuuna.4085 said:

@"Etheri.5406" said:I don't know if meteo is bugged or not. I haven't seen any numbers significantly higher than before this patch. I have screenshots of 18k+ hits on marauder fire / arcana setups from before this patch and videos of consistent 10k+ hits against unorganised groups or organised groups who are getting shadespiked / bubbled. I do feel i'm now doing this high-end dmg a lot more often in general.

Speaking from my experience I was hit for 15,994 on the first strike of a meteor while having protection (obviously me on a cloth glass build). I'll take the word of an experienced weaver that it's normal but prior to the patch the highest I'd ever been hit was 12k using an identical setup. On 3 unique completely unrelated occasions the night of the patch I was hit for over 15k which is why it seemed to me like the damage was more noticeable.

It's possible I've never been hit before by the first meteor strike and I happened to be that night.

If you get hit for 16k with protection, you'd get hit for 21-22k without protection. That does seem excessive, altho possible in some circumstances even prior to this patch. Doesn't seem... likely tho.

The "first meteo strike" is individual per person. It's not possible that "you never got hit first" before, because if you get hit the first hit should be maximum damage.

This at 1.45 is a decent example of high meteo hits before this patch. It's with marauder fire/arcana weaver. I think you can push the high-end crit by another 20 to 40% by going more zerky and going for spike damage rather than average damage. That said, even this isn't consistent 15k crits much less against high armor targets or people with protection.

@Etheri.5406 said:

@Etheri.5406 said:I don't know if meteo is bugged or not. I haven't seen any numbers significantly higher than before this patch. I have screenshots of 18k+ hits on marauder fire / arcana setups from before this patch and videos of consistent 10k+ hits against unorganised groups or organised groups who are getting shadespiked / bubbled. I do feel i'm now doing this high-end dmg a lot more often in general.

If you get hit for 16k with protection, you'd get hit for 21-22k without protection. That does seem excessive, altho possible in some circumstances even prior to this patch. Doesn't seem... likely tho.

The "first meteo strike" is individual per person. It's not possible that "you never got hit first" before, because if you get hit the first hit should be maximum damage.

This at 1.45 is a decent example of high meteo hits before this patch. It's with marauder fire/arcana weaver. I think you can push the high-end crit by another 20 to 40% by going more zerky and going for spike damage rather than average damage. That said, even this isn't consistent 15k crits much less against high armor targets or people with protection.

Thanks for the clarification, it's been a long while since I staff ele'd. Unfortunately I don't have video of the incidents to review.

@Hackuuna.4085 said:

@Etheri.5406 said:I don't know if meteo is bugged or not. I haven't seen any numbers significantly higher than before this patch. I have screenshots of 18k+ hits on marauder fire / arcana setups from before this patch and videos of consistent 10k+ hits against unorganised groups or organised groups who are getting shadespiked / bubbled. I do feel i'm now doing this high-end dmg a lot more often in general.

Thanks for the clarification, it's been a long while since I staff ele'd. Unfortunately I don't have video of the incidents to review.

I've been talking and reviewing some stuff with fellow players, and it does appear some stuff is wrong. While very high hits were already possible, they're too consistently high and too high against high armor / protection / ... targets at the moment. Safe to assume meteo is bugged.

Archived