The highly distubring fate of Joko raises some questions

Oglaf.1074

@"Zaraki.5784" said:Aurene will have to poo sooner or later :p

Honestly, this is something I've considered myself. Joko has possibly had access to Forgotten magic, and may have figured out a way of making his 'core' magic indigestible to dragons. So now he's inside Aurene, but still potentially capable of re-emerging and reconstituting himself. His "in the event of my death" stuff may be because he felt that if he did end up as dragon-chow, he didn't want Aurene or the PC to think that might actually be something he could survive.

@Tabasco.1743 said:

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

I hope it's not because I've never enjoyed the fantasy trope of epic enemies that keep coming back. The Green Goblin and the Joker and yes, the Daleks become less appealing to me with each iteration. (Probably because I think it shows a lack of imagination on the part of the authors.)

Hey whoa hey uncalled for why are we bringing the Daleks into this? EX-PLAIN?!
RCPX0um.gif

Given normal Dalek speaking patterns, shouldn't that be EL-UC-I-DATE? :P

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

• Joko's reputation as being undefeatable, unkillable is mostly due to ... Joko's self-promotion. Folk think he can't be killed because he claims he can't be.To expand on Ephemial's response, the reputation wasn't even Joko's doing. It originally stemed from Turai Ossa and the fledgling Order of Whispers doing everything they could think of to try to kill him... and failing. Joko mentions being 'sundered' while he was sealed away before GW1, so this wasn't the first time he was bodily torn apart. He somehow managed to piece himself back together, seemingly without outside intervention.

Maybe he didn't invent the idea of being unkillable. But he's certainly used in marketing his brand. My point is: we don't really know that he's unkillable. We just know that he says he is (and ok, other people think it, too).

It's like being surprised that Stainless Steel can be ... stained. Despite the name, it's never been better than stain-resistant.

Again, we fight and "kill" him, yet he comes back up.

@"Ephemiel.5694" said:

And may yet 'come back up' again.

Aurene: gurp gurp gurp -- BLARGH!Commander: Aurene! Not on the carpet! Eww! That's nasty!Braham: Look, Taimi! It's the Internal Alchemy!Taimi: Braham, no, eww.Joko: Blech! Er, I mean, hah hah! Fools! You can't keep a good lich dow -- wait, what are you doing?Commander (places Bounty on Joko): It's the quicker picker upper.Bounty Train Leader: Legendary Half-Digested Joko on my tag.Joko: NOOOOOOOOOO!

@Tachenon.5270 said:

@"Ephemiel.5694" said:

Aurene: gurp gurp gurp -- BLARGH!Commander: Aurene! Not on the carpet! Eww! That's nasty!Braham: Look, Taimi! It's the Internal Alchemy!Taimi: Braham, no, eww.Joko: Blech! Er, I mean, hah hah! Fools! You can't keep a good lich dow -- wait, what are you doing?Commander (places Bounty on Joko): It's the quicker picker upper.Bounty Train Leader: Legendary Half-Digested Joko on my tag.Joko: NOOOOOOOOOO!

There's a big difference between us trying to kill him and Aurene literally absorbing the magic that keeps him alive. How is this so hard for you to understand?

@Ephemiel.5694 said:

There's a big difference between us trying to kill him and Aurene literally absorbing the magic that keeps him alive. How is this so hard for you to understand?

Not sure how you interpreted my post as anything but an attempt at humor, but that's all it was.

@Drarnor Kunoram.5180 said:

@Oglaf.1074 said:Beheaded, dismembered, eaten - all the same really. Devastating bodily harm. Something the Awakened prior have shown quite the impressive resistance to. It just seems odd to finish Joko off with that method as you'd think it'd be quite ineffective (which he proved just seconds before).

Because Aurene didn't just eat his body, which he probably could have come back from just fine. She ate his magic as well. Having his magic was absolutely necessary for him to survive.

I had called Aurene eating Joko as being his final death, I just didn't expect it to happen this episode.

Granted that's true. He's truly dead because his magic is eaten. But the issue here is how he managed to get eaten, with that much magic left, with that much time frame, with that much combat experience, as shown in his prowess in battle with Ossa and still can't kite a bite after standing at least 5 second facing the thing. 'Supprise' doesn't seem to cut it. It'd be probably more convincing if she rooted him somehow. But too late now. Can't go back and fix it, we will just accept that he was seriously, super-seriously, crestfallenly, tremendously, surprisingly surprised so much so that he couldn't react and get eaten.

@quaniesan.8497 said:

@Oglaf.1074 said:Beheaded, dismembered, eaten - all the same really. Devastating bodily harm. Something the Awakened prior have shown quite the impressive resistance to. It just seems odd to finish Joko off with that method as you'd think it'd be quite ineffective (which he proved just seconds before).

Because Aurene didn't just eat his body, which he probably could have come back from just fine. She ate his magic as well. Having his magic was absolutely necessary for him to survive.

I had called Aurene eating Joko as being his final death, I just didn't expect it to happen this episode.

Granted that's true. He's truly dead because his magic is eaten. But the issue here is how he managed to get eaten, with that much magic left, with that much time frame, with that much combat experience, as shown in his prowess in battle with Ossa and still can't kite a bite after standing at least 5 second facing the thing. 'Supprise' doesn't seem to cut it. It'd be probably more convincing if she rooted him somehow. But too late now. Can't go back and fix it, we will just accept that he was seriously, super-seriously, crestfallenly, tremendously, surprisingly surprised so much so that he couldn't react and get eaten.

Because it's heavily hinted in that message he left [only available after you finish the mission] that he might have actually expected to die during the fight against you.

@quaniesan.8497 said:

It’s possible, but highly doubtful that Joko is “alive” in essence in his magic, which could lead to meta physical Sephiroth stuff, being alive in Aurene. Then as the Commander having the mental connection to Aurene then flushing Joko out of her mind/ body. Very doubtful though.

Or he is just dead, which I like is more likely.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:It's like being surprised that Stainless Steel can be ... stained. Despite the name, it's never been better than stain-resistant.

Linguistic oddity. In French, stainless steel is called "inox", short for "inoxydable", meaning not capable of being oxidised(1), and therefore does not rust, and no mention of its resistance to staining is implied.

(1) In this sense, it's a grotesque misnomer. The metals alloyed with iron to make stainless steel are significantly more reactive than iron, and if you expose a totally "clean" piece of stainless steel to air, it forms a thin layer of oxide in picoseconds. Most metals do this, in fact, but the key difference between iron and ordinary steel on the one hand, and stainless steel on the other, is that the layer of oxide on stainless is (a) mechanically stable and (b) not prone to odd behaviour in the presence of water, while the corresponding layer on ordinary iron/steel is not mechanically stable and does some really odd things if it gets wet.

@quaniesan.8497 said:

He got tackled by a dragon that he literally did not see coming (she tackled him from behind). She was pinning him to the ground before biting.

Joko might be a powerful spellcaster, but physically? He's really no stronger than a human. I have yet to see the human that can out-match a tiger, and Aurene is bigger than that.

@Drarnor Kunoram.5180 said:

@"Oglaf.1074" said:Beheaded, dismembered, eaten - all the same really. Devastating bodily harm. Something the Awakened prior have shown quite the impressive resistance to. It just seems odd to finish Joko off with that method as you'd think it'd be quite ineffective (which he proved just seconds before).

He got tackled by a dragon that he literally did not see coming (she tackled him from behind). She was pinning him to the ground before biting.

Joko might be a powerful spellcaster, but physically? He's really no stronger than a human. I have yet to see the human that can out-match a tiger, and Aurene is bigger than that.

well there is this one guy who hunted tigers barehanded in his youth. he got a political Job atm

i would not say that joko is physically weak propably he is stronger than human but not "i can lift a char with 1 Hand" strong wich is atleast possible for 1 human we know

Well, magic is magic and I believe that there is nothing else you can do about that, no matter what ancient magics and stuff like that, becuase there is nothing above dragons in terms of, well... magic, at least nothing we might know about. The only thing grander and powerful than dragons themselves might be whatever astral beings might exist beyond Tyria, like, the prime forces of creation and whatnot. But I am not sure if Anet would go that deep with lore, I think that those aspects of levels of power is what Blizzard is doing right now with all those light and void stuff, but that's just a digression. All in all I am kind of 50/50 with this Joko situation. Half of me thinks that, with all magical evidence that we know of, Joko is dead and gone for good. But on the other hand he is too good of a character to just take it out like that, so I hope we will see some of his traits in Aurene soon enough.

As other people have said, he is/was getting eaten by a dragon that has an elder dragon as an elder along with her weight being a couple of hundred of pounds if not at least half a ton going at running/flying(?) speed before the eating of the man. I also tink with that she could absorb all of his magic or at least the protection magic he may had up and the restraining magic.

He might have been in the heat of the moment as he was very invested into the commander and that created a blind spot in his awareness. The commander and dragon are always connected so much so that I want to believe that she learned/copy the battle memories of the commander to use it to help at the best possible moment to interfere or she used her "looking in the future" to see the many directions and chose the best one where the commander and her are alive kinda like that alien in MB3 where he experience every single past, present, and future event.

They could do a cop out where our PC finds an item that has enough of joko's magic and a copy of him for some semi or full awareness that is activated in case the death of the real one. We make a deal to help bring powerful magic items to him or he gets to act as a "historian" for his memories of old.

Archived