No Infusions From Sunken Chests if character <80

Sunken chests CAN be opened by any character you have if they have a key. But if you open them with anyone who is less than lvl 80, you go no infusions. But they are all on maps that you are most likely to be on while leveling alts, not places you would go with fully leveled characters. And opening them costs a key all the same.

Anytime you open them, regardless of who you open them with, you should be getting infusions. This behavior is very alt-unfriendly.

Do these low level players get something else in lieu of infusions? What do low level characters need with a level 80 item?

I wouldn’t call it alt-unfriendly as that implies that people can’t do this on alts which they can most definitely do. I actually have plans to have all of my alts parked at each chest once I have all of the keys in order to reduce the effort it takes to have one character go from chest to chest.

I don't see this as a bug. This is consistent with other rewards from open world chests being scaled to character level. Infusions require L80/ascended gear.

There are only a handful of open world chests that do not drop level-dependent gear, all in L80 areas. And I believe nearly all of them in the LS3, PoF, and LS4 zones. (I haven't tested in a while, but my recollection is that equivalent HoT-zone chests are level-dependent even though the the zones are L80.)

@Boogiepop Void.6473 said:What do you do on the maps with the chests? You level alts. Alts who will open the chests but not get infusions.

Maybe you do that. I do not.I give my keys to the same toon who either (a) already has the waypoints or (b) is working on map completion. In either case, I wait until I have 10 and take 15 minutes to do all 10. Much less time spent, less stressful.

Regardless, the mechanics are the same for other chests; it's consistent that the loot for sub-L80s is different. In the same way, champ bags deliver L80 gear and bloodstone dust plus random exotics to an L80; while and L53 toons get no bloodstone and the more valuable mid-tier gear.

Now, if you were asking ANet to change the usual mechanic so that either swim infusions dropped for everyone or the chests couldn't be opened if under L80... I'd consider supporting that idea.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Boogiepop Void.6473 said:What do you do on the maps with the chests? You level alts. Alts who will open the chests but not get infusions.

When you open any chest on any map, how are the drops scaled?

Any chest dosen't require a special key you can only get once a day (on average) and isn't the only source of a particular item.

@Boogiepop Void.6473 said:

When you open any chest on any map, how are the drops scaled?

Any chest dosen't require a special key you can only get once a day (on average) and isn't the only source of a particular item.

Doesn’t matter.

Point out any situation where a low level character is awarded level 80 loot. Try to keep it similar to chests.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:Point out any situation where a low level character is awarded level 80 loot. Try to keep it similar to chests.

To be fair, there are several such examples. It's just the exception, not the historic norm.

Regardless, the fact that sub-L80 toons aren't getting swim infusions is not necessarily a bug; it's simply not what the OP expected. It's also not likely to be a bug, for the reasons stated earlier in the thread.

Again, I'm okay with the OP's preference to have a different mechanic. My concern is the labeling of an existing mechanic as a bug.

Archived