Why not rework necro minions to function on the level of clones?

DaVid Darksoul.4985

Truly because since the dawn of this game Anet has decreed necromancers aren't allowed to have nice things lol. Hell I'm just thankful we aren't treated as lepers like we use to be back in the first few years of the game. It would be interesting though to see minions reworked into phantasm/clone style skills ,but Anet took almost 6 years just to give our elite minion water use so don't hold your breath.

Don't know if clones are the solution, but please do SOMETHING with those minions. They frequently get stuck somewhere and disappear without logical reason which can even lead to your death if you have a build heavily reliant on them. They cannot be controlled like ranger pets and as a whole are extremely passive and annoying to deal with..

The ONLY good thing about necro minions is how much survivability they can provide...as long as they don't bug out and disappear.

If it's a trade-off as in the more damage the minions are doing the less damage the PC is going to do than yes, they should definitely do more damage. Also, minions from other classes should work similar to the necro minions and stay up until they are defeated.

Minion skills already have on-use abilities that could be reworked into 'good' purposes, currently those abilities either have high cooldowns or are just very lackluster. I would imagine something like maybe make them a ground-target ability that deals damage and summons the minion by that effect, with an active that detonates it for another effect. Kind of like a combination of how Rise and Bone Minions work, except with some better effects.

@DaVid Darksoul.4985 said:Just got hit by 5 split surge for 2000+ each then a mindwreck for 11000+. Thought to myself wish my minions could deal that damage. Not sure what Anet' view is but I consider clones, pets, minions, thief guild, drones, spirits as all summoned enities. Why are minions so weak compared to the others?

Ive made this suggestion in other threads several times before and even went into great detail about it. People dont care about minions, because they have given up on the fact that anet will improve them.

I dont think you would even need to blow minions like shattered clones to make them more rewarding and promote more of an active play style.

Ideally Necro minions should not be complete mesmer clones /phants but they should not also be the same as ranger pets.They should be a mesh some where in the middle of the two and thats where they miss the mark. They need to be able to take a bit more damage to be stronger but not as strong as ranger pets. At the same time I think like mesmer phants they should not exist in the world for forever and should expire after a while but should have to potential to do respectable damage via unique attack after summoning.

These are just silly examples i can see in my head

Shadow fiend doing a shadow step attack striking your foe or nearby foes multiple times applying chill and blind.Bone fiend doing a bristle back like attack when it spawns for burst damageBone minions should not expire and exist in the world the moment you slot the skill with 3 charges. Each charge gained spawns a new one and using a charge causes one to leap at your target and daze them before going boom.Flesh wurm simply need to be an on demand break stun shadow step on the first case leaving the wurm in your previous location > Returning to it has a cast time instead.Golem should spawn the moment you slot the skill. Using a charge causes it to do its current charge knock down and frenzy gaining super speed and quickness dealing increased damage for 10 seconds. It should have 2 active charges with a 10 second cd between each use.Blood fiend should only be summoned when the caster wants a large heal boost in which it spawns and performs a stronger dagger 2 like attack on the targeted foe.

With the exception of flesh golem and bone minions an wurmAll other summons should expire after lingering for 5-10 seconds once they have completed their unique attack. Wit that said they need no less than 2 charges each and the cast times to summon them should be reduced as well as their cds.

The idea is that if they were not so passive and could not potentially live for an unlimited amount of time their damage could be potentially much higher.

My personal issue with minions is their durability or more accurately, the lack of it.

Even if a few mobs cough in their direction, they die.Therefore I propose that minions only get damaged by a certain percentage per hit.

Like, an enemy attacks and hits 4 times, my minion only gets like 1% of his health drained, no matter how high the actual damage is.Of course, this would need adjustments in pvp/wvw but overall, I see no other way to make my minions useful.

Minions have utility, which I can't make use of, if my minions get killed by literally anything.

@Arzurag.7506 said:My personal issue with minions is their durability or more accurately, the lack of it.

Even if a few mobs cough in their direction, they die.Therefore I propose that minions only get damaged by a certain percentage per hit.

Like, an enemy attacks and hits 4 times, my minion only gets like 1% of his health drained, no matter how high the actual damage is.Of course, this would need adjustments in pvp/wvw but overall, I see no other way to make my minions useful.

Minions have utility, which I can't make use of, if my minions get killed by literally anything.

Have you...played the game recently? My Bone Minions never freaking die in PvE, and they're the squishiest ones! In PvE, minions (and other player-owned AI) have a 95% damage reduction if they are not the primary target for an attack.

@Drarnor Kunoram.5180 said:

@Arzurag.7506 said:My personal issue with minions is their durability or more accurately, the lack of it.

Have you...played the game recently? My
Bone Minions
never freaking die in PvE, and they're the squishiest ones! In PvE, minions (and other player-owned AI) have a 95% damage reduction if they are not the primary target for an attack.

Well, let them stand in aoe from a champion, legendary or worldboss, then you can see, how durable they are.Maybe they're not supposed to endure such minor amounts of damage but I personally expect them to.They take a utility-slot each and only do like 5% of my own damage in total.

Anet needs to rework minions entirely, otherwise they will stay laughable under powered and weak.

Do we actually want Minions to be good? They're already best picks for a lot of PvE content for lack of opposing choices, and I don't want a petting zoo meta in WvW or sPvP.

RE minions dying; they've got the power damage protection but they aren't protected from condition damage unless you use the trait that causes them to send conditions with their strikes. They're probably dying from condis.

@Arzurag.7506 said:

Bone Minions
never freaking die in PvE, and they're the squishiest ones! In PvE, minions (and other player-owned AI) have a 95% damage reduction if they are not the primary target for an attack.

Well, let them stand in aoe from a champion, legendary or worldboss, then you can see, how durable they are.Maybe they're not supposed to endure such minor amounts of damage but I personally expect them to.They take a utility-slot each and only do like 5% of my own damage in total.

Anet needs to rework minions entirely, otherwise they will stay laughable under powered and weak.

I do from time to time, and they survive everything. I don't know what you're doing wrong.

@Arzurag.7506 said:

Bone Minions

That is NOT a durability issue. I mean, put it another way, why would anyone think it's reasonable to have 5 minions that can stand in a Champ AOE ... and come out fighting and relatively unharmed? Frankly, I don't have minion durability issues anyways, and I use them to solo HoT Mastery Point champs ... so not sure what you are doing.

fun fact in regards to minion damage

consumable minions like the fire elemental powder and ogre pet whistle usually end up doing twice or more damage each in a fight than blood fiend, shadow fiend and flesh golem combined

check your fractal logs when you've used them and you too can feel sad about it

@Tails.9372 said:If it's a trade-off as in the more damage the minions are doing the less damage the PC is going to do than yes, they should definitely do more damage. Also, minions from other classes should work similar to the necro minions and stay up until they are defeated.

I'd really like to see a spec where you significantly sacrifice your own output by making an army of the dead. Similar to GW1's spirit spammer - you didn't really carry any skills outside of your spirits and a couple of things to keep them alive and mobile. But otherwise, you really hurt your own ability to churn any damage, you just had a spirit wall that worked righteously strong.

@Cuddy.6247 said:

@Tails.9372 said:If it's a trade-off as in the more damage the minions are doing the less damage the PC is going to do than yes, they should definitely do more damage. Also, minions from other classes should work similar to the necro minions and stay up until they are defeated.

I'd really like to see a spec where you significantly sacrifice your own output by making an army of the dead. Similar to GW1's spirit spammer - you didn't really carry any skills outside of your spirits and a couple of things to keep them alive and mobile. But otherwise, you really hurt your own ability to churn any damage, you just had a spirit wall that worked righteously strong.

We already had that in the form of Turret tank engineer, back before HoT, and it was utterly cancerous in pvp. Hence why turrets were nerfed so much.

@ZDragon.3046 said:

@DaVid Darksoul.4985 said:Just got hit by 5 split surge for 2000+ each then a mindwreck for 11000+. Thought to myself wish my minions could deal that damage. Not sure what Anet' view is but I consider clones, pets, minions, thief guild, drones, spirits as all summoned enities. Why are minions so weak compared to the others?

With the exception of flesh golem and bone minions an wurm
All other summons should expire after lingering for 5-10 seconds once they have completed their unique attack. Wit that said they need no less than 2 charges each and the cast times to summon them should be reduced as well as their cds.

The idea is that if they were not so passive and could not potentially live for an unlimited amount of time their damage could be potentially much higher.

No no no no no! The whole reason I play necromancer is to control a mini army. That would be horrible. There are so few MMO's that have a proper necromancer class, guild wars 2 is one of the few ones that does is right. A necromancer is all about controlling an army of undead minions.

Archived