Jump to content
  • Sign Up

Weird Account Login issue


Recommended Posts

My GW2 account is secured with mobile authenticator and I never have account name/password remember ticked.. never

When logging in this morning I put username and password in.. but it no longer asks for a mobile authenticator code and proceeds to log me straight into game.. nothing untoward has happened to my personal or guild bank. All characters are there and where they were last logged and their respective inventory's intact as is my wallet and gold... so its not an account breach as far as I can tell.. the game client just isn't seeing the fact I have an authenticator security option anymore when logging in.So I log into my GW2 account and check all is as it should be... it is, and quite clearly states I have 2 step verification set in place.This is weird, never seen or read of this happening to anyone else before... and its just a little bit concerning if I am honest.Done virus checks nothing.. including my mobile.. nothing.

The only thing I can add is that I have a current ticket in the system asking for support with my GW1 account (which I have recently been trying to go back an play after a long break, but couldn't remember my credentials for it).. it has always been linked to my GW2 account and I thought that my GW2 details were meant to be synced to work with both (maybe I am wrong), but I cant remember the old detail anyway.. so I have a ticket in to look at it.. wonder if this has caused an issue, if someone in support has been poking around.

Any ideas?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It suddenly stopped asking this morning.. been asking everyday for like ... I cant even think how many years its been setup.I am sceptical if that's the reason, in fact I find that hard to believe, otherwise what's the point of having 2 stage verification if your not the one verifying it.BTW.. I do not have my network ticked as "remember this network".. never have never will, which forces it to be verified for a reason as far as I can tell.

Thanks for the input though Inc

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just to update. .. Removed 2 step verification in MY ACCOUNT and removed the relevant code generator on my phone then re-enabled 2 step verification in MY ACCOUNT and setup a new link with phone up.. now it working again... weird stuff, cos I haven't ben into MY ACCOUNT details in guildwars2.com for sometime.. certainly not in the last 24 hours to change or update anything. Anyhows seems all good again, relogged into game and immediately got asked for verification :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You only have to let it remember your IP once for it to remember it forever.

The best way to reset that isn't to remove and then add the authentication, but:

  • Go on the website account.arena.net,
  • Go to security
  • Check Authorized networks where you can see which IPs are remembered
  • Remove all (or whichever) of them.

If it doesn't or didn't show any, that is indeed kind of weird.... But it might be also possible you haven't logged out too long ago so that it remembers it for a while, if that's a thing? I dunno. Feels like grasping at straws.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@"FrizzFreston.5290" said:You only have to let it remember your IP once for it to remember it forever.

The best way to reset that isn't to remove and then add the authentication, but:

  • Go on the website account.arena.net,
  • Go to security
  • Check Authorized networks where you can see which IPs are remembered
  • Remove all (or whichever) of them.

If it doesn't or didn't show any, that is indeed kind of weird.... But it might be also possible you haven't logged out too long ago so that it remembers it for a while, if that's a thing? I dunno. Feels like grasping at straws.

Nah I think I have worked out what is going on now.. and something is definitely up.

I have been using 2 step very ever since it was introduced.. I don't have account name or password remembered ticked and when setting up 2 step I don't have and never have had the trust network ticked.. thus it always asks for a passcode, which I prefer.I unlinked and relinked authenticator in GW2 MY ACCOUNT Settings and all is good again and authenticator code is requested before allowing me into character select... perfect.

OR so I thought.

A few minutes ago I tried my GW1 login again as with my GW2 account details re linked and both GW1 and GW2 is linked in MY ACCOUNT.

So I put my GW2 creds into GW1 client login and ding a authenticator code request came up.. perfect.. entered code - boom does not recognise account info.Retried login creds in case of incorrect spelling and now no authenticator code is requested just goes straight to "Account information not recognised" again...

BUT now going back into GW2 client I put creds in and it puts me straight into character select... no authenticator code is requested again.

If I go back to GW1 and my old email address that used to be set up with GW1 and put in my current GW2 password (that it accepted just now hence pinging up the authenticator request), the error message is different.. it fails on password verification but it likes the email/account name, which should actually be the same as my GW2 one if they are linked iirc.

So therefore I surmise that there is definitely something up with my GW1/ GW2 account link and GW1 is setting my GW2 account to a trusted network even though I cant get into GW1 due to failed login... I now have to go and unlink the authenticator again and relink it.

Appreciate your input thanks.

EDIT - Another weird thing I notice is that when relinking authenticator and using the barcode option, the phone scans it, the authenticator app recognises it and setup the account secret and then churning out new codes.. but when entering a code into the final stage of the 2 step verification process in MY ACCOUNT.. the code always fails and I have to relink using the manual special key method, which is in essence the same thing and except I can setup its own account name on the authenticator, which works fine every time… so I am really confused what is going on in the security and GW1/GW2 link area of MY ACCOUNT

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Your GW1 login is your GW2 email/password and the name of one your GW1 characters. GW2's additional IP authentication didn't originally apply to GW1, but now it does, and remembering your IP is automatically selected. Either it's bugged and remembering your IP regardless, or you're not unchecking it. You can view and remove the IPs you've authorized under the security settings at account.arena.net.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Healix.5819 said:Your GW1 login is your GW2 email/password and the name of one your GW1 characters. GW2's additional IP authentication didn't originally apply to GW1, but now it does, and remembering your IP is automatically selected. Either it's bugged and remembering your IP regardless, or you're not unchecking it. You can view and remove the IPs you've authorized under the security settings at account.arena.net.

I know where to find the details and how to set it all up.. as I said its been setup and working as is, ever since it first came into the game and has never been altered... hence I always have it set to ask for a code each time - for my own piece of mind.

Its when trying to log into GW1 that the issue arises. I have just relinked authenticator. and will try GW1 again...

Yep same thing.. likes my GW2 account name and password and now asks for authenticator code.. put code in and boom fails account verification.I know GW1 requires a character name and hopefully support will help with that when my ticket finally gets a look at.So it should fail on having no name.. I get that.But it should not be changing my security settings to trusted network meaning GW2 now does not look for a verification, just the IP.Going back to literally just after the 2 step was brought I used to use the Trusted IP or whatever was utilised in the account settings then and my GW2 account got compromised while I was actually in game playing... that was a headmess up I can tell ya, I was disconnecting every 30 secs, but I was logged into the forums as well so was thinking ISP issues ..nah when looking in the MY ACOUNT SECURITY section I kept seeing a weird IP appearing and my game client disconnecting.. so it was basically a race to disconnect the rogue IP as fast as he was disconnecting mine until finally he managed to get an authenticator set up and stopping me from disconnecting him in the setting Security section. A guild mate was watching the guild bank being pilfered before we could work out what was happening.. thankfully it got sorted very quickly by ANET support.. hence why I have a separate email address setup for GW2 these days and 2 step verification and no trusted network or login details remembered.. it all gets put in every time I login... for my own piece of mind.

As I said going back to GW1 again if I then try using my old email address with my current GW2 password it fails on password verification.. I would of thought it would be the account name that fails, because the password is linked.. needs ANET support to look into this I think cos something is not right imo.

Thanks for the input tho, appreciated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hmm... The only other thing I can think of now is that your authenticator time isn't synced up.

I had alot of failed codes at one point and also had weird issues with the authenticator codes.

What you could try, if it's google authenticator, is to sync the time of the authenticator. It only needs to be off a little bit and it screws up everything.

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185834?hl=en (last question/issue)

Though I'm fairly sure other authenticators would have something similar)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@"FrizzFreston.5290" said:Hmm... The only other thing I can think of now is that your authenticator time isn't synced up.

I had alot of failed codes at one point and also had weird issues with the authenticator codes.

What you could try, if it's google authenticator, is to sync the time of the authenticator. It only needs to be off a little bit and it screws up everything.

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185834?hl=en (last question/issue)

Though I'm fairly sure other authenticators would have something similar)

Yeah I thought that originally but its synched and once it is it wont resynch cos google automatically checks when you try.Its not an authenticator issue its to do with GW1 AND GW2 linking .. I guess it wont even get looked at until earliest Monday.. but not sure which Monday :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:hence why I have a new email address setup for GW2 these days and 2 step verification and no trusted network or login details remembered.. it all gets put in every time I login.

I'm assuming you had support change your email? Have you ever tried logging in since then? They confirmed a few weeks ago that changing your email can break access to your support account, which I'm assuming also applies to GW1 since they're both accounts that are attached to your primary GW2 account. Support has to fix that.

As for remembering your IP, originally they would remember a wide range like 1.#.#.#, whereas now it's 1.1.1.#. Unless you're using a VPN, the odds of someone randomly hacking your account while on the same ISP as you is practically nothing. Both remembering and not remembering carry their own problems and it's all vulnerable if your email is compromised.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Healix.5819 said:

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:hence why I have a new email address setup for GW2 these days and 2 step verification and no trusted network or login details remembered.. it all gets put in every time I login.

I'm assuming you had support change your email? Have you ever tried logging in since then? They confirmed a few weeks ago that changing your email can break access to your support account, which I'm assuming also applies to GW1 since they're both accounts that are attached to your primary GW2 account. Support has to fix that.

As for remembering your IP, originally they would remember a wide range like 1.#.#.#, whereas now it's 1.1.1.#. Unless you're using a VPN, the odds of someone randomly hacking your account while on the same ISP as you is practically nothing. Both remembering and not remembering carry their own problems and it's all vulnerable if your email is compromised.

Well Support sorted out the account with a different email address when it was compromised .. probably 2-3 years ago and never had any issues with GW2 since.. cant remember the last time I logged into GW1 though must be about as long.. but its always been linked to my GW2 account so whatever GW2 is set with it should be synced to GW1 .. I thought, and does but the authenticator then messes up my GW2 login .. well not mess it up, it makes it a trusted network and negates the need for the authenticator, but then GW1 wont even get that far after the first attempt... I think the link is screwed so hopefully support will look at it soon.... :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...