Lore friendly open world pvp Arena zones?

I know open world pvp in pve is a controversial topic, but I want to know what the community thinks of certain new zones of the map having lore friendly combat zones should people toggle “PvP”? Yes you could argue we have guild arenas and yes we have the wVw and mists that separate PVE players and PVP but could you imagine the role playing for arena areas in most major cities in PVE world? you’re exploring the black Citadel or Hoelbrak and see players doing Arena combat, obtaining winner prizes etc as a gladiator, or you sit on a bench and role play watching players battle it out. This would make sense on these cities especially as the Norn and Char have clearly made arena combat part of their entertainment and culture, perhaps you could even see this in Divinity’s Reach. To prevent chat spam, this could be a separate instance perhaps which has its own chat which regular PVE players wouldn’t see. This wouldnt interfere with PVE players as they wouldnt be forced to do this, it would just be the option for those who want it and I feel it would just add a little bit more life to capital cities in the world. I’m a pve player more than PVP but I still see the way it could be used to further enhance the experience within cities as a whole. That’s just my opinion, what are your thoughts?

It seems like something that would be pretty low on the priority list if it was ever considered, if not rock bottom. Also, as you've mentioned, given what already exists that is dedicated to PvP, it's even less of a reason for it. I for one don't visit any city that often outside of Lion's Arch to really feel one way or the other about it, but it seems the motivation behind adding it from what you've typed is just to roleplay.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:GW2 race story is manufactured to be "everybody loves each other". So no possibility of open world pvp lore friendly area. It is also against principles this game is built on.

This, sadly.I would have liked the game even more if for an example the peace between humans and charrs broke up and start to fight another war , similar to WoW's Horde and Alliance?

The weird thing is there are already combat arenas dotted around Tyria. The biggest and most obvious is probably The Bane in the Black Citadel. But there's also the fighting pit in Guardian's Pass in Gendarran Fields and the Butcher's Yard in Diessa Plateau, both of which are featured in the Personal Story, and I'm sure there's more I can't remember. In Edge of Destiny gladatorial contests in Lion's Arch are a major part of the story, but apparently the arena was destroyed at some point between the book and the start of GW2.

All of which makes me wonder if this was something Anet planned to include and for whatever reason dropped from the game. Maybe because they decided they didn't want your level and equipment to matter in PvP and the only way to do that was to have PvP only in seperate maps with unique mechanics. Or maybe they just ran out of time and had to cut it, like the various minis games.

I'm very much opposed to open-world PvP but I wouldn't mind this, as long as it was self-contained and you had to manually enter it, like PvP now. But I'm also not sure what it would add for people who like PvP. It would basically be doing the same thing in a much smaller space (because a lot of these fighting arenas are tiny).

Archived