Soulbeast Sucks

Savvy.3258

@Lazze.9870 said:

@Crapgame.6519 said:Personal opinion is that Soulbeast is just going to make us all play better. Unless you are in the upper percentile of skilled players Soulbeast in the current state does not provide any room for error or comfort. Also while I tend to agree about not being able to swap pets while in Beastmode I can see why they did it. I don't think the intent was to camp Soulbeast but to use it much like the Druid would use Celestial Avatar. Which brings me back to my point about making us play better.

Except a good player would switch out of beastmode anyway. The camping argument is a non-argument. It already happens in pve (and we all knew it would), it wouldn't happen anyway in pvp. In wvw trains you probably want it camped, for roaming you wanna go in and out.

I agree - but for some that is proving difficult. The whole switching into and out of while also swapping pets for their ability can be intense if you don't manage everything else. Just how I'm seeing it and by no means does it mean I speak for the majority let alone have to be right :)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All this swap from beast mode, swap in beast mode...Swap in Avatar, swap out of avatar.Swap pet, swap weapons.Pay attention to the non visible HP of squad mates, dodge, watch your own HP, watch the HP of your pet.Pay attention to your rotation.Make sure you flank for best damage.Make sure your food did not run out because for some reason, after 30 minutes you are hungry again.Pay attention to the positioning of your entire squad/party so you can heal them or avoid stepping on their toes (social awkwardness ftw)Pay attention to the positioning of the boss/mobs....and all of this while paying attention to all of the above, at the same time.I think Anet wanted to create a game for pianists.

@Crapgame.6519 said:

@Lazze.9870 said:

@Crapgame.6519 said:Personal opinion is that Soulbeast is just going to make us all play better. Unless you are in the upper percentile of skilled players Soulbeast in the current state does not provide any room for error or comfort. Also while I tend to agree about not being able to swap pets while in Beastmode I can see why they did it. I don't think the intent was to camp Soulbeast but to use it much like the Druid would use Celestial Avatar. Which brings me back to my point about making us play better.

Except a good player would switch out of beastmode anyway. The camping argument is a non-argument. It already happens in pve (and we all knew it would), it wouldn't happen anyway in pvp. In wvw trains you probably want it camped, for roaming you wanna go in and out.

I agree - but for some that is proving difficult. The whole switching into and out of while also swapping pets for their ability can be intense if you don't manage everything else. Just how I'm seeing it and by no means does it mean I speak for the majority let alone have to be right :)

play better?

its clunky af with cd's that are too long.

@thefantasticg.3984 said:Yeah, I PVE only. Been playing lots of Soulbeast. I had to completely, 100%, commit to poison and condi. Moved my zerker gear to my Holosmith and my condi gear from my Engie to my Soulbeast. Once I did that, it has been barely bareable on how slow it kills things.

My main complaint is just that the dagger is too slow. Especially that last hit. For the weak output, it's just too kitten slow. For reference, I do miss the original sword. It felt fast. I was really really hoping the dagger would be like that, but I was sorely disappointed. Secondary complaints are that the power just isn't there, (Honestly, power ranger hasn't been decent since sword animation nerf.) , I can't swap pets while in Beastmode, and the F1-F3 aren't strong enough.

I play A/D + S/T condi ranger and the dagger was so bad I had to go back to axe.Then I figured druid + PoF pet is a much better choice than soulbeast for condi ranger.

@HyperLooser.2698 said:The biggest problem to me is the Soulbeast mode disables when you mount and when you unmount it will be on its 7/6 second cooldown, which completely kills the entire mechanic for me, unless i simply won't use mounts majority of the time.

Don't forget hitting water...that also screws the pooch.

I'll also say while I agree Gazelle needed to be adjusted what is wrong with Devs ignoring Deadeye. Out in WvW 25K hits are not uncommon. I had one lad tell me actually has hit harder. Could be an extreme case although it happened several times over the weekend. Heck, I let one use me for target practice to fine tune his build. He hit consistently for 15k... Seems priorities are out of whack.

@Crapgame.6519 said:I'll also say while I agree Gazelle needed to be adjusted what is wrong with Devs ignoring Deadeye. Out in WvW 25K hits are not uncommon. I had one lad tell me actually has hit harder. Could be an extreme case although it happened several times over the weekend. Heck, I let one use me for target practice to fine tune his build. He hit consistently for 15k... Seems priorities are out of whack.

Except LB 2 can chain out more damage than that, hits at farther than 1500 range, can be done while running, and tracks a thief into stealth. Everything has it's, umm it can do what?

I played a lot of Deadeye and while they are two different styles of play Soulbeast has Deadeye beat many times over for overall functionality. I laugh at most Deadeye's with Soulbeast, especially knowing Deadeye's limits. Unless they're crafty and have built their Malice stacks on a wall or something and then blow them on you they're not that hard to overcome, even then if you're quick the sound and tracer is a tell you need to pop something or dodge.

@Tinnel.4369 said:

@Crapgame.6519 said:I'll also say while I agree Gazelle needed to be adjusted what is wrong with Devs ignoring Deadeye. Out in WvW 25K hits are not uncommon. I had one lad tell me actually has hit harder. Could be an extreme case although it happened several times over the weekend. Heck, I let one use me for target practice to fine tune his build. He hit consistently for 15k... Seems priorities are out of whack.

Except LB 2 can chain out more damage than that, hits at farther than 1500 range, can be done while running, and tracks a thief into stealth. Everything has it's, umm it can do what?

I played a lot of Deadeye and while they are two different styles of play Soulbeast has Deadeye beat many times over for overall functionality. I laugh at most Deadeye's with Soulbeast, especially knowing Deadeye's limits. Unless they're crafty and have built their Malice stacks on a wall or something and then blow them on you they're not that hard to overcome, even then if you're quick the sound and tracer is a tell you need to pop something or dodge.

Yes, malice stacks are one of the keys. But I don't recall hitting with rapid fire that hard ever. Gazelle, yes. Long Bow, rapid fire, and rotations into beastmode so next attack is unblockable no. Doesn't mean I guess that some are doing it. Yes, we can run, dance, and do acrobatics. Malice or not it nothing in the game should insta gib a player. Poor situational awareness or not but that is just my take. All good though ;D

Not saying I don't agree some things are overtuned or that one shotting is ok, but it's all relative. Many thief build combos have always amounted to 1 to none in a flash. Scourge condi bombs are near instant right now. Both being relevant to the stats of what they're hitting.

DJ isn't all that easy to land in reality, it takes quite a bit of work to get a mark, malice, and maintain cover and then....blocked, dodged, etc. On the rare occasion it one shots it's really no different than a power mesmer burst, thief burst or the 1500 range rooted with their pet on you vuln stacking LB 2 from a ranger. It all results in a crappy death.

@kiwituatara.6053 said:

@thefantasticg.3984 said:Yeah, I PVE only. Been playing lots of Soulbeast. I had to completely, 100%, commit to poison and condi. Moved my zerker gear to my Holosmith and my condi gear from my Engie to my Soulbeast. Once I did that, it has been barely bareable on how slow it kills things.

My main complaint is just that the dagger is too slow. Especially that last hit. For the weak output, it's just too kitten slow. For reference, I do miss the original sword. It felt fast. I was really really hoping the dagger would be like that, but I was sorely disappointed. Secondary complaints are that the power just isn't there, (Honestly, power ranger hasn't been decent since sword animation nerf.) , I can't swap pets while in Beastmode, and the F1-F3 aren't strong enough.

I play A/D + S/T condi ranger and the dagger was so bad I had to go back to axe.Then I figured druid + PoF pet is a much better choice than soulbeast for condi ranger.

Slow weapon + require full melee is a bad combination.

Warrior GS for example, is a bit slow, but, dont require full melee to hit, its has some sorte of range.

Played through the new maps and story with condi soulbeast and D/D and while I managed through it, I didn't find it a lot of fun. Since completing everything I switched to a power build with S/WH and LB and I'm in love.

Some of the stances and the Dagger needs work, but the core part of the spec is solid imho.

@ugrakarma.9416 said:

@kiwituatara.6053 said:

Warrior GS for example, is a bit slow, but, dont require full melee to hit, its has some sorte of range.

The 1st auto needs to be removed so it becomes a 3-chain auto. Change last chain from 0.5 cast time to 0.25.2nd skill needs to be flipped so you apply 6 poison stacks and your pets next 2 attack applies 3s cripples. Decrease cast time from 0.75 to 0.5.

3rd skill needs to be unblockable, either have condition removal or resistance on strike added. Decrease cast time from 0.75 to 0.5.Alternatively3rd skill needs a 1s evade frame added. Cast time remains the same.

Even if the changes were made. I'd still have a hard time giving up sword or axe mainhand for dagger.

@Nuka Cola.8520 said:SB is strong but i miss the condi cleanse and stealth/super speed/ancient seed way too much to play it over the droood.

You still have stealth from skill 3 LB and Smokescale and Superspeed from Quickening Zephyr. The main problem is condi cleanse. If you play with survival traits line and skills you still have few condi cleanse. Also Jakaranda in Beast mode F2 remove 2 condi every 20 sec.But you have right, even so vs Confussion Mesmer you don't have enough condi cleanse , at least for me is the only class who make me real problem.

@Dragonzhunter.8506 said:

@Nuka Cola.8520 said:SB is strong but i miss the condi cleanse and stealth/super speed/ancient seed way too much to play it over the droood.

You still have stealth from skill 3 LB and Smokescale and Superspeed from Quickening Zephyr. The main problem is condi cleanse. If you play with survival traits line and skills you still have few condi cleanse. Also Jakaranda in Beast mode F2 remove 2 condi every 20 sec.But you have right, even so vs Confussion Mesmer you don't have enough condi cleanse , at least for me is the only class who make me real problem.

Kiting is the best solution and evade shatters, should be easily doable even in core ranger and lets not forget cleansing sigils, SoR, Bear stance even? It's just about timing it right. Spiritual Reprieve also gives resistance.

@kiwituatara.6053 said:

@ugrakarma.9416 said:

@kiwituatara.6053 said:

The 1st auto needs to be removed so it becomes a 3-chain auto. Change last chain from 0.5 cast time to 0.25.2nd skill needs to be flipped so you apply 6 poison stacks and your pets next 2 attack applies 3s cripples. Decrease cast time from 0.75 to 0.5.

3rd skill needs to be unblockable, either have condition removal or resistance on strike added. Decrease cast time from 0.75 to 0.5.Alternatively3rd skill needs a 1s evade frame added. Cast time remains the same.

Even if the changes were made. I'd still have a hard time giving up sword or axe mainhand for dagger.

Needs A CC, It's an elite spec weapon that doesn't even synergize with its own Trait line. You cannot proc Twice as Vicious with MH dagger.

@StickerHappy.8052 said:

Kiting is the best solution and evade shatters, should be easily doable even in core ranger and lets not forget cleansing sigils, SoR, Bear stance even? It's just about timing it right. Spiritual Reprieve also gives resistance.

Yes in theory, like also in theory any class can beat Spellbreaker, only this just didn't happen, now are some/few classes a little OP, who can fight vs 3-5 other classes in the same time.Ofc when I see a player (ranger I guess) saying "should be easily doable even in core ranger" I start to laugh. Just because even best rangers are saying that condi mesmer are hard to be beaten. Anyway, I'll wait some video vs condi (confussion) mesmer where you easily beat them ;) .

@Dragonzhunter.8506 said:

I don't use LB. Since the expansion, my main pets are the Gazelle and the snake/flower thingy. I do run survival with all survival traits (like less QZ etc) for maximum condi cleanse. Its the only way to deal with condi heavy builds unless you stealth/point blank shot/rapid fire cheese across the map.

Archived