Leader of the Pack is probably my favorite trait

Skuzz.6580

As the title says, I am actually falling in love with this trait, I kinda feel like a Leader of a Pack :DI am a group/open world PvE player, with the way PoF handles their activities, Bounties and 2 META's, and overall good rewards for random events I just can't not take this trait.There are always people around me, be it in a group or outside group (when I'm solo), And I feel that stance sharing contribute a lot.Be it the Defense of Moa + Dolyak, the Condi Cleanse of Bear stance or the damage boost of One Wolf Pack (which I use in combination with Sic'Em and Rapid Fire for a lot of ticks).

I use full zerker build with GS/LB and loving it. LB really is nice in open world PvE content, especially with the pierce from the Grand-Master, and the combination of Rapid fire + One Wolf Pack.The cooldowns are also neat, you can do a Moa + Dolyak combo every 30seconds and Combo One Wolf Pack with those 2 every minute.

ah yes one wolf pack as 50 % aoe buff.It was nice to see a proud ranger linking it to the zone on launch day. You could see how proud the little one was. He was brimming with pride. He knew he did good. He felt important. A heartwarming moment.That is ... if you don't think of the statement that followed afterwardsA revenant spoke up: 'hold my beer'followed by a link of 'soulcleave summit' which has 4 times the base damagethe same power scalingno target limitationno internal cooldownis baseline aoewith the same rangewith the same amount of targetsand also got life siphon on top of that.We all felt the same way. It was a great day to be a ranger. After all - someone has to fill the role of the second-class citizen.

@Skuzz.6580 said:

@InsaneQR.7412 said:Or atleast give stances a reduced CD.

That would probably make them to good.

Agreed. The CDs are fine for self-use (at least Bear, Moa and Dolyak) thanks to decent duration that extends through boon duration and Moa Stance. Reducing that would inevitably end up with complaints of it being too good and eventually nerfed. It's just the allies effect that seems cut down for no good reason. It's a bit annoying for a GM trait. That said, it feels great to share some useful love to the party.

@Sedlina.1097 said:there is a difference between 'the grass is greener on the other side of the fence'orimplementing two new elite skills that are a carbon copy of each other. Just with one little difference.one of them is on steroidsthe other one full with restrictions

You have to look at the whole picture, not just compare 2 skills from 2 classes with each other..And this has been the problem with a lot of things being compared like that, which is why I myself just don't like comparing things.. I did not pick this profession because every skill I have is top-notch, I picked this class because I like the directions I can go with it.

Also, when you do post something like that, do provide correct info: It has a 1sec interval, has a 0.2 power scaling vs a 0.7 from one wolf pack (so not the same), not to mention that it basically restricts your own playstyle when using it (energy cost and upkeep) where's One Wolf Pack is just a Use and Forget skill.There are pro's and con's for both, but in this case I don't care about the pro's and con's of an elite from another profession, I care about SoulBeast, and i'm happy with the way this plays.

It's not like we have other grandmaster traits that help out much in open-world PvE.. (the 10% more dmg is a joke with the constant 1/3th hp shots and attacks mobs do, this trait doesn't even have a 50% uptime.)

@Skuzz.6580 said:It really is hard being positive around here...The grass is always greener everywhere else right?? Wrong, as on all profession forums people are comparing things with other classes and how their versions are worse, what have you..

Welcome to the Ranger sub. This is why I avoid posting here. Because compared to the others, this sub is so aggressively negative that they'll attack you if you try to say something positive.

Ranger and Necro have been my mains for 4 years. I love them both to death and still think they're both very powerful if used properly. You can't grasp your full potential without understanding your faults. But the same can be said vice versa - you can't reach your full potential without understanding your strengths. Too many people here not willing to see where we're strong because they're too focused on how we're weak. Just don't let their attitude rub off on you.

Glad you've found something you enjoy. I very much like Soulbeast myself, although I haven't been using any of the Stances (speaking from a small scale WvW perspective). Jacaranda and Smokescale are so amazing together, I've been having an absolute blast with it. So much damage and so many ways to heal and I don't need to use that dinky staff. Personally I'm overjoyed with this spec and can't thank ANet enough for creating it.

@SpellOfIniquity.1780 said:

@Skuzz.6580 said:It really is hard being positive around here...The grass is always greener everywhere else right?? Wrong, as on all profession forums people are comparing things with other classes and how their versions are worse, what have you..

Welcome to the Ranger sub. This is why I avoid posting here. Because compared to the others, this sub is so aggressively negative that they'll attack you if you try to say something positive.

Ranger and Necro have been my mains for 4 years. I love them both to death and still think they're both very powerful if used properly. You can't grasp your full potential without understanding your faults. But the same can be said vice versa - you can't reach your full potential without understanding your strengths. Too many people here not willing to see where we're strong because they're too focused on how we're weak. Just don't let their attitude rub off on you.

Glad you've found something you enjoy. I very much like Soulbeast myself, although I haven't been using any of the Stances (speaking from a small scale WvW perspective). Jacaranda and Smokescale are so amazing together, I've been having an absolute blast with it. So much damage and so many ways to heal and I don't need to use that dinky staff. Personally I'm overjoyed with this spec and can't thank ANet enough for creating it.

Well spoken and very true. Same goes for me.

Indeed there's a small group being negative constantly, probably even missing their goal by doing so in that way. Luckily these forums are not representative for all rangers, even though they claim to be.

There's a lot to enjoy playing soulbeast. Soulbeast offers a lot of options to go with. Really enjoying it! Currently loving the fact we finally have good WvW zerg-builds, and additional good PvE endgame builds. There are already some nice video's which prove what soulbeast is capable of.

@ArmageddonAsh.6430 said:As someone that roams WvW solo, this trait has ZERO use to me what so ever. Kinda sad. I thin k it should have made it so that we get a reduced cool down on the Stances, maybe with a 50% duration increase as well. It is a GM trait after all, it should feel it.

It doesn't reduce the cooldowns or provide any additional benefits which means you lose nothing by not taking it.

Go with Oppressive Superiority, that's what I use. +10% damage to targets with less health than you is great. And if you're condition, then it's +10% condition duration.

@Aomine.5012 said:You should have played a Shout Guardian if you like Leader of Pack that much.Basically they do the same thing, group cleanse, group stability, group protection, etc, except Soulbeast need to waste a Grandmaster slot for it to work on party.

Similar things but not the same. Similar because they're buffs and grant some boonsNot the same because, well, they have completely different and unique effects.

• Second Strike on attack on low interval
  • Might on evade + greater endurance regen
  • Immunity to soft CCs
  • Condi to heal per pulse
  • Might on self or poison on foe
  • 66% boon duration bonus

Those are pretty different from guard shouts

@Aomine.5012 said:You should have played a Shout Guardian if you like Leader of Pack that much.Basically they do the same thing, group cleanse, group stability, group protection, etc, except Soulbeast need to waste a Grandmaster slot for it to work on party.

Anynow i'm seeing stances having 2 charges of the ammo thingy. If every charge need half the full cd (for example bear for 15 secs) the stances would be amazing without being overpowered. And to share full duration with the GM trait would make the soulbeast desired in wvw. I mean is not like the stances share boons or whatever and otherwise the class lacks sustain and dps pressure.

But if it doesn't change i guess the least evil is oppressive superiority.

@ProtoMarcus.7649 said:

Similar things but not the same. Similar because they're buffs and grant some boonsNot the same because, well, they have completely different and unique effects.
  • Second Strike on attack on low interval
  • Might on evade + greater endurance regen
  • Immunity to soft CCs
  • Condi to heal per pulse
  • Might on self or poison on foe
  • 66% boon duration bonus

Those are pretty different from guard shouts

Ofc they do slightly different things, but if you wanna do case by case comparison, then here goes:

Guardian Shout can be traited that ALL of them cleanse.The duration is MUCH longer than Ranger's shout because it doesn't has half duration limitation, and can be further enhanced through concentration.They have shorter cd in general after traited.One shout grant quickness to the whole party. (One Wolf Pack increase dps too but 4 sec on party lolz...)One shout grants Aegis which Ranger has no access to.One shout draws all condition from allies, which is even more similar to our Bear Stance.

My original point is the theme and play-style is exactly the same as Lead the Pack.Unless Anet fix this trait to grant full duration and reduced trait cd, as well as reducing cd/ buffing effects on some of the more lackluster Stances, I doubt Soulbeast will replace Shout Guardian any time soon in places like WvW.

OWP (one wolf pack) is trash. If wetake a second to look into the skill:

• Does 1 extra attack very half a second. That mean in an spwan of 8 seconds does 16 extra attacks, for your team if traited is 8 extra attacks if they can keep up the pace (usually don't).
  • Has a fixed damage independent from your damage. The only thing that actually can benefit from it is sharpened edges trait because any other effect has an internal cool down.
  • the damage of this skill is really low: 186 (0,7) wich is lower than the sword auto.
  • 60 secs CD which mess with any "on elite skill" rune.

Unless the skill actually clone your original attack (if you did a maul after one sec later produces the same damage or a portion of it, or if you apply conditions apply them again) taking this skill is almost a wasted slot.

@Skuzz.6580 said:

@Sedlina.1097 said:there is a difference between 'the grass is greener on the other side of the fence'orimplementing two new elite skills that are a carbon copy of each other. Just with one little difference.one of them is on steroidsthe other one full with restrictions

Also, when you do post something like that, do provide correct info: It has a 1sec interval, has a 0.2 power scaling vs a 0.7 from one wolf pack (so not the same), not to mention that it basically restricts your own playstyle when using it (energy cost and upkeep) where's One Wolf Pack is just a Use and Forget skill.There are pro's and con's for both, but in this case I don't care about the pro's and con's of an elite from another profession, I care about SoulBeast, and i'm happy with the way this plays.

good for you for finding the wiki. Next time try to look up the right lines - or to test things first before you copy paste them.The icd for renegade is the healing, not the dmg application. You only heal once a second - you deal damage as often as you hit stuff.secondly The 0.2 scaling that you've linked is how the healing of life siphon scales with your + healing - not how the damage scales with the affected players power

you're welcome

This thread makes me want to try stances, finally. As a mostly solo condi player, I found no place for any stances on my bar, due to the awesome synergy the soulbeast line has with he traited poison trap and heal-on-apply-poison. With plentiful cleanses from wilderness survival and so many of my moves ticking new poisons, my viper soulbeast kills quickly and stays at almost full hp for entire fights.

I'd be interested to see if stances can make the difference for group content with surviving high damage phases. As for offensive boosts, I don't know if I could ever beat the easy boosting of druid & grace of the land + might stacking + the DPS boost glyph.

@voltaicbore.8012 said:This thread makes me want to try stances, finally. As a mostly solo condi player, I found no place for any stances on my bar, due to the awesome synergy the soulbeast line has with he traited poison trap and heal-on-apply-poison. With plentiful cleanses from wilderness survival and so many of my moves ticking new poisons, my viper soulbeast kills quickly and stays at almost full hp for entire fights.

I'd be interested to see if stances can make the difference for group content with surviving high damage phases. As for offensive boosts, I don't know if I could ever beat the easy boosting of druid & grace of the land + might stacking + the DPS boost glyph.

I believe Druid will stay the best offensive buffer, as the Druid buffs are unique while Soulbeast's are mainly linked to Might, or some damage utility through the Elite Stance (that does not beat GotL nor GoE)

I'm okay with most stances, but

The Griffon Stance needs a LOT of tweaking to find a place on my skillbar, the effects are underwhelming (25 endurance on cast, enhanced endurance regen and might on evade) and the cooldown (45s!!) is ridiculously high - as it is right now any utility skill has a better place than itself.

The Vulture Stance could also benefit from a unique effect, poison and might id a bit redundant - a 33% condi duration bonus would thematically fit and bring interesting utility to condi builds

The idea behind the stances and their themes are pretty cool but they need tweaks

Soulbeast is fun and might be cool for pvp but for open world soloing core Ranger still reigns supreme, and in group content there may never come a replacement for Druid if they keep it how it is. GotL and GoE are just too good and bring far more to a groups output than OWP.

Archived