Deadeye's Mark Insta-cast. And malice buildup.

Deax.1572

As many have pointed out already Deadeye feels clunky. One reason, in my opinion, is that Deadeye's Mark has a cast time.

Setting yourself up to do damage takes too much time (marking, kneeling and only then doing damage) with a class that never had a problem with jumping in and dealing damage whenever it wanted and without hesitation.A case where what's nice on the paper doesn't transition well into practice.

Another concern is that malice doesn't build up quick enough, by the time you're at 5 - 7 stacks your target is either dead already or about to be dead. The window that allows you to deal 15% to 21% damage increase due to malice stacks is so small that it becomes inferior to Daredevil. With Daredevil's Havoc Mastery trait you'll do 7% more damage when close to the target, Staff Master gives 10% more damage if using staff and not at full endurance, Bounding Dodger gives another 10% damage increase after dodging.

While i've found a fairly fun build which allows me to quickly kill small mobs thanks to quickness, it just isn't as potent as Daredevil.http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQNAU4al0MhinYhTw0Jw+EL7EGfs8WGM9mCRhrwWAo20mA-jhSBQBL4CAEo9HwjuhHcQASo6PA4BAwnjAAWU6lRlBmRJIA-e

Deadeye's mark isn't the cause of the clunkyness. It takes some getting use to do, but it's not the cause. It's a bunch of small things that adds up quickly. Certain actions not taking immediate priority, and not canceling something that is already in progress. The lack of a strong visual indicator when you are crouched on the UI. The need to press 5 again to stand back up, and you may accidently smash the button again and not know why you are not moving and eat a shit load of damage after panicing.

• 10 months later...

Yes please! I am playing alot of Deadeye lately and i am facing some annoyance. Deadeye's mark activation have a character animation, which can be canceled by ability slot 1 autoattack animation, or any other ability from skill bar. Thus preventing proper activation of Deadeye's Mark, giving it 3 sec cooldown. Good old Steal, doesn't have any animation, therefore works separately from other skill or abilities. It also have insta-cast ( probably because it have no character animation to it ).

Please arena-net, remove Deadeye's Mark activation animation. This will make it more like Steal. So no other skill can interfere to it.

@Aeon.4583 said:Yes please! I am playing alot of Deadeye lately and i am facing some annoyance. Deadeye's mark activation have a character animation, which can be canceled by ability slot 1 autoattack animation, or any other ability from skill bar. Thus preventing proper activation of Deadeye's Mark, giving it 3 sec cooldown. Good old Steal, doesn't have any animation, therefore works separately from other skill or abilities. It also have insta-cast ( probably because it have no character animation to it ).

Please arena-net, remove Deadeye's Mark activation animation. This will make it more like Steal. So no other skill can interfere to it.

thats a pretty old thread you found here, we had several changes and a rework since.while we still have a cast time on mark it might be confusing for some seeing op talk about 15-21% dmg increases from malice and slow build up if they dont look at the date posted. the malice system has changed a lot since.

but i am with you, instant mark would be really nice. i sometimes selfcancel my mark attacking too early and thus wasting ini without getting malice, thats pretty annoying.

@MUDse.7623 said:Well, i wasn't talking in favor of Malice damage stack-ups, but in favor of Deadeye's mark insta-cast without character animation. And i didn't want to make another thread :)

So far i feel that Steal is far superior, because it can't be canceled when used. Deadeye's mark can be canceled by auto-attack chain because of their animations, which you don't even activate by yourself.

@dDuff.3860 said:Insta cast mark would open a lot of space for some sick combos, But for pvp casted mark is okayish in trade for other op stuff deadeye has.

while it could make for some interesting plays, similar to steal i think the usage of mark is intended to be different, not just by not having a teleport to it but because condisering malice it is a target selection, you usually use it at the start when attacking your opponent so you already get malice, while you might keep steal for a better moment a little later and use it specifically for its traited effects. if malice buildup wouldnt depend on mark you could use mark at a different point in the fight, then instant mark would be more important. like it currently is, it would be nice but not really needed.

what i would like tho if the cast time remains, that it would allow for retargetting. currently it will apply to the target you start the cast on and wont update with target swap even with retargetting.

Archived