So about new races...

Magek.4718

@Magek.4718 said:

@Magek.4718 said:I always wondered what was the point of introducing DE because if you don't do the dungeons, they're literally absent for the entirety of story and then suddenly they show up for Zhaitan and act like you know them.That's because the dungeon story mode is supposed to be the B plot to your Personal Story A plot. They happen simultaneously, but were designed to be done as you level and explore, hence why Miss Stalker Herald tells you about them as you level up.

Thing is though, if you don't do the dungeons, they show up once and then show up one more time for the final battle.

It's the most awkward way of handling a group of characters that we're told from the start are very important. In a way, it makes them the most underutilized and even worthless characters in the game.

I think the basic concept of having three story delivery methods running in tandem- personal story, dungeons, dynamic events- had merit. I just wonder if they didn't give enough indications that that's what they were going for. If you missed the promotional material before launch, the only thing pointing you towards dungeons is periodic mail that focuses on the individual scenarios, without making it clear they're part of a coherent storyline that's intended to be experienced simultaneous to the PS quests you're blowing through. If that notification system had been handled differently (and if the story modes themselves had received better writing...), the gamble might've paid off.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Aaron Ansari.1604 said:

@Magek.4718 said:I always wondered what was the point of introducing DE because if you don't do the dungeons, they're literally absent for the entirety of story and then suddenly they show up for Zhaitan and act like you know them.That's because the dungeon story mode is supposed to be the B plot to your Personal Story A plot. They happen simultaneously, but were designed to be done as you level and explore, hence why Miss Stalker Herald tells you about them as you level up.

Thing is though, if you don't do the dungeons, they show up once and then show up one more time for the final battle.

It's the most awkward way of handling a group of characters that we're told from the start are very important. In a way, it makes them the most underutilized and even worthless characters in the game.

I think the basic concept of having three story delivery methods running in tandem- personal story, dungeons, dynamic events- had merit. I just wonder if they didn't give enough indications that that's what they were going for. If you missed the promotional material before launch, the only thing pointing you towards dungeons is periodic mail that focuses on the individual scenarios, without making it clear they're part of a coherent storyline that's intended to be experienced simultaneous to the PS quests you're blowing through. If that notification system had been handled differently (and if the story modes themselves had received better writing...), the gamble might've paid off.

Pretty much.

I personally had no interest in dungeons until I hit max level because I figured that was the endgame content.

So I just ignored all the mail I got about it. It wasn't until then that I realized I goofed. And I shouldn't have been allowed to good tbh.

• 3 months later...

According to gw2 wiki gargoyles were a horned humanoid like race that disappeared along time ago. Maybe they can add an upright gargoyles that physically look like humans but have gargoyle like appearance just so when it comes to doing armor it would be much easier to implement or something like that for playable races if Anet doesn't want to go with the conventional races.

@"Arcaneus.6931" said:According to gw2 wiki gargoyles were a horned humanoid like race that disappeared along time ago. Maybe they can add an upright gargoyles that physically look like humans but have gargoyle like appearance just so when it comes to doing armor it would be much easier to implement or something like that for playable races if Anet doesn't want to go with the conventional races.

That's interesting but if they were to add a new race, I'd like them to do it right and not be a watered down "easy" version of it with corners cut just because Anet apparently can't do what most other MMO devs can.

All I ever hoped for, pre-HoT, before we knew no new races would ever be released, was:With every new expansion a new race:Tengu or Hylek, might have been viable with a Heart of Thorns release.Centaur, might have been viable with a Path of Fire release. (Yes, mechanically difficult, but they did release a sitting animation for them! And if Crowfall can pull it off why not Anet! )

A Tengu Thief, Hylek Necromancer and Centaur Elementalist would've been awesome !

Archived