New player not enjoying PoF zones at all

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I frickin' HATE PoF. TOO MANY ENEMIES! There isn't a single place you can just stand and enjoy the world without constant and relentless aggro. Not fun or pleasurable at all.

"You'll enjoy the expansion content if you run past all of it because stopping for a instant means you die. Happy exploring!"   Better just to say "if you don't devote your entire existence

THREE. YEARS.

On 8/3/2018 at 11:40 PM, Alchimist.4738 said:

I'd understand the criticism if you were exploring HoT maps without a mount, which can be brutal, but in PoF it's very easy to avoid combat with your mount, you just have to avoid the outposts on the roads, and obviously dangerous areas like the brand.

"You'll enjoy the expansion content if you run past all of it because stopping for a instant means you die. Happy exploring!"

Better just to say "if you don't devote your entire existence to this game there no reason to go beyond Central Tyria.".

Make with the confused emotes, people.

Edited by Yttris.2945
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

I struggle to understand posts like this. Maybe instead of complaining that the game is wrong, maybe you should look into what YOU may be doing wrong? I greatly enjoy POF zones. They are varied, unique, interesting, and have tons of things to do. If you are getting hit too hard maybe look into updating your gear or learning your rotation/build.

this explains it:

https://i.imgflip.com/61q94x.jpg

Edited by Einsof.1457
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1
16 hours ago, TheOuroborus.6387 said:

I frickin' HATE PoF. TOO MANY ENEMIES! There isn't a single place you can just stand and enjoy the world without constant and relentless aggro. Not fun or pleasurable at all.

I’ve never ran into an issue where there are two many enemies. Seems like hyperbole. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
1 hour ago, Zacchary.6183 said:

*(Skyscale hovers in your path)*

Aw, now look what you did. They’re probably going to go find the “skyscale is too hard” thread and reactivate that one, too.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Haha 1
6 hours ago, mythical.6315 said:

I’ve never ran into an issue where there are two many enemies. Seems like hyperbole. 

I don't necessarily think it's hyperbole.

If you don't know how to play the game well, because you've jumped from the core game to expansion content, of course you're going to feel like there's too many enemies.  When I started playing PoF,  I had five years experience playing the game. I'd already not only played the core game, but I'd played dungeons and fractals and WvW and PvP.  By the time I got to PoF,  I was used to being surrounded and using terrain and dodging and using condi removal, and using stun breaks, and all the tricks of whatever trade I was using at the time.

But the jump in difficulty even to POF from core for people who might have used a level 80 boost, which Anet provided them, in vast.  The game isn't linear, so they're not prepared for the uptick in difficulty.  Because people think they should be good enough after a couple of weeks or even a month to just waltz through any area.

People need to learn to play the game, and that happens over time. A lot of people aren't patient.  Because I can get through those areas as a 9 year vet, doesn't mean those areas arent' damnably challenging for new players who can get to them very very fast...even if they don't use a level 80 boost.

There are absolutely ways to get through zones, but let's not pretend everyone is on an even footing when it comes to skill and experience.

• Thanks 2
2 hours ago, Vayne.8563 said:

I don't necessarily think it's hyperbole.

If you don't know how to play the game well, because you've jumped from the core game to expansion content, of course you're going to feel like there's too many enemies.  When I started playing PoF,  I had five years experience playing the game. I'd already not only played the core game, but I'd played dungeons and fractals and WvW and PvP.  By the time I got to PoF,  I was used to being surrounded and using terrain and dodging and using condi removal, and using stun breaks, and all the tricks of whatever trade I was using at the time.

But the jump in difficulty even to POF from core for people who might have used a level 80 boost, which Anet provided them, in vast.  The game isn't linear, so they're not prepared for the uptick in difficulty.  Because people think they should be good enough after a couple of weeks or even a month to just waltz through any area.

People need to learn to play the game, and that happens over time. A lot of people aren't patient.  Because I can get through those areas as a 9 year vet, doesn't mean those areas arent' damnably challenging for new players who can get to them very very fast...even if they don't use a level 80 boost.

There are absolutely ways to get through zones, but let's not pretend everyone is on an even footing when it comes to skill and experience.

While I agree with what you said, my statement about hyperbole wasn’t directed towards skill issues. It was instead directed against claims that enemies are everywhere and there’s relentless aggro. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
2 hours ago, mythical.6315 said:

While I agree with what you said, my statement about hyperbole wasn’t directed towards skill issues. It was instead directed against claims that enemies are everywhere and there’s relentless aggro. 

I'll buy that. But it probably feels that way literally to a lot of new players who end up there, even though it seems on the surface like they're exaagerating.

• Like 2

Wow, a really old thread I started 3+ years ago. 😄

I can't say that my feelings for PoF have changed much. Even back then, I never had trouble killing PoF enemies. The combination of long PoF aggro range, enemy density, and low budget leveling gears meant that if I wanted to trigger a vista or gather a rich node and I happened to get a chain of aggroes, I would end up spending a lot more time than I'd like being stuck in combat. While I can kill things much faster compared to when I first started, being forced to kill multiple enemies that aggro one after another just because I want to interact with something in a map is still not fun. The way things are, I just ignore gathering nodes if there are multiple enemies nearby that are too far apart to round up with the raptor. It's not worth spending 5+ seconds killing enemies that aggro one after another in order to gather something for 2 seconds.

Probably the only part that is no longer an issue is mount switching. Getting hit before I could switch to the springer from the raptor meant that I'd have to kill everything that aggroed before I could get on the springer to get up that cliff. Very annoying when I was not interested in fighting pointless enemies. Now, with the stealth upgrade and the skyscale, I never have to worry about that.

22 hours ago, Einsof.1457 said:

I struggle to understand posts like this. Maybe instead of complaining that the game is wrong, maybe you should look into what YOU may be doing wrong? I greatly enjoy POF zones. They are varied, unique, interesting, and have tons of things to do. If you are getting hit too hard maybe look into updating your gear or learning your rotation/build.

this explains it:

https://i.imgflip.com/61q94x.jpg

Are you implying that this game is perfect and there is nothing wrong with it? Or do you think that complaints are only valid if you agree with them? Anyways, my thread was never about PoF being too hard, as I mentioned 3+ years ago. Some people just don't like the disruptively long aggro range of PoF as a matter of personal preference.

Edited by BlueJin.4127
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2
7 hours ago, BlueJin.4127 said:

Are you implying that this game is perfect and there is nothing wrong with it? Or do you think that complaints are only valid if you agree with them? Anyways, my thread was never about PoF being too hard, as I mentioned 3+ years ago. Some people just don't like the disruptively long aggro range of PoF as a matter of personal preference.

There can always be improvements. The guy admitted he wasn't adequately prepared for POF. If the post was something like "So, I just got a full set of ascended from fractals and I got to crystal desert and I keep getting agroed! The enemies take forever to kill and it's really frustrating!" I would have a different response. For the record, those who have issues in POF open world usually don't have decent gear, a decent build, or know their proper rotation, etc etc. It's not a game design issue. I melt everything in POF elite and below quite easily on my power chrono. 

• Confused 2