Help in picking a class

frostpaw.6235

@KellieTea.5607 said:

@KellieTea.5607 said:I started playing gw2 about a year and a half ago. It was my first mmo so it took me a long time to figure out the basics such as gear stats. I started off with necromancer and ended up hating it. I have since tried different classes but I am unsure of which one I will enjoy the most once it's at 80. I do not like classes which involve pets or minions so that already rules out necro and ranger. I've considered giving elementalist a try because of it's mage like abilities of which I am quite fond of in mmos. Any advice for a newbee?

So if you like magic but want something easier to play and is good in all game modes the best answer I can give you is guardian. They are a atypical cleric class that primarily uses protective abilities for themselves and allies as well as some damage buffs. They have quite a bit of aoe with hammer, greatsword, scepter, staff, torch, sword, mace. They're also quite forgiving and have quite a few mechanics that can help you learn to use other professions. Since others aren't as forgiving to new players such as elementalist. Guardian might be what you're looking for and is the best starting class imo.

I actually have tried guardian before and I will admit I do like how it plays at the early levels. Not sure if it's for me but I am still testing the waters with it. I especially love the greatsword it is probably my favorite weapon type from the game.

If you have the Expansions, Dragonhunter and Firebrand changes it quite a bit. Firebrand is far more geared towards magic with its tomes and could be a good fit if you like magic. Its a bit rough to use at first, but if you get it down you'll have a lot of fun. I'm like you, I prefer casters in games. I main Necromancer(scourge almost exclusively) and my favorites include Mesmer, Engineer, Revenant and Guardian. Engi doesn't fit the magic but the others certainly do. And I like unusual magic classes.

I wouldn't judge a class based on pre-80 leveling as you're not playing the class with the intended balance. What I mean by this is a class is meant to function smoothly once it has all three traitlines unlocked and before this things might seem really clunky or as if important skills or abilities are totally missing from your build. But once you get maxed out and possibly and e-spec then everything feels a lot better. Judging by the thread I would also recommend to avoid the classes I play, as their survival rates for pve are on the lower tier. Those classes include elementalist (very fragile, but survivable with experience), Revenant (very awkward to play), and thief (super squish). I'd say any other class should fit the bill tho.

Archived