Need Different Female Body Types

Spiral.3724

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@lokh.2695 said:I always wondered how one of the most PC developers didn't give us body positive(read: overweight) body types. Not just for human females but for all race/gender combinations. There's one plus sized body model and it's a norn male.

Considering all the dodge rolling and oversized objects being swung around constantly it would require a really awful diet to continue being overweight while doing all that. Although maybe for the people chowing down on 10 sticks of butter per hour ...

All the butter has to go somewhere...

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@reaVer.4056 said:

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:

@Einlanzer.1627 said:Being slim is realistic, and was the norm until the 20th century.

This is patently false and ahistorical

exactly 'malnourished' would be a better word. Or 'covered in scars'. If they were not malnourished, in some periods they liked to get fat. In others not.

Wrong, up until the 20th centuries people had different diets that were better balanced and more nutritious. In the modern day there's a huge overintake of carbs in western societies causing all sorts of balancing issues for most people in the population (they get fat and still look and feel as if they have no energy). Jordan Peterson has gone on the record and stated pretty much this, in addition it causes a lot of psychological issues as well (aside from the standard inferiority complex).

wrong. Your standard archaelogical find is 'malnourished, suffered from diseases caused by malnourishment' up to the 20th century.

The 'diet' was not more balanced. It was 'we eat whatever we get'. And most of the time it was not much.

http://ieg-ego.eu/en/threads/backgrounds/food-and-drink

"The proverbial "daily bread" gained its position of central importance in the European daily diet during this period, accounting for up to 75 per cent of the calorie intake of the total population in the German-speaking territory between the 16th and the 18th centuries."

@Chickenooble.5014 said:This game doesn't need fat player characters. Player characters spend their entire lives running around, swinging swords and carrying a dozen bags full of ore and everything else. Your human character should look fit, tone and strong.

Unless your character sits outside the bank and trading post in Divinity's reach, eating Chocolate cake for the luck and only opens bags... then, yea, that one can be fat. But the rest -- nah, they shouldn't be fat. Being fat isn't a good thing.

Well, now we have mounts to do all that running around for us and if you want it to fit the character's activities all characters should probably look muscular and bulky to do all that so it's not realistic as it is.

Personally I like the body shapes as they are, however, if they do come out with big body shapes, I'll make an exception and make a male toon called Oscar Hernandez.

@Einlanzer.1627 said:Being slim is realistic, and was the norm until the 20th century.

exactly 'malnourished' would be a better word. Or 'covered in scars'. If they were not malnourished, in some periods they liked to get fat. In others not.

Wrong, up until the 20th centuries people had different diets that were better balanced and more nutritious. In the modern day there's a huge overintake of carbs in western societies causing all sorts of balancing issues for most people in the population (they get fat and still look and feel as if they have no energy). Jordan Peterson has gone on the record and stated pretty much this, in addition it causes a lot of psychological issues as well (aside from the standard inferiority complex).

wrong. Your standard archaelogical find is 'malnourished, suffered from diseases caused by malnourishment' up to the 20th century.

The 'diet' was not more balanced. It was 'we eat whatever we get'. And most of the time it was not much.

"The proverbial "daily bread" gained its position of central importance in the European daily diet during this period, accounting for up to 75 per cent of the calorie intake of the total population in the German-speaking territory between the 16th and the 18th centuries."

Yes, almost every time you find some mass grave of some kind you'll find out that the jews in concentration camps didn't have it all that bad compared to the historical plebeians of societies that started to fall. And this is of course because they suffered similar circumstances as the lower class always does at the end of any type of governance, be it republic/kingdom/empire/union. That is why there's mass graves in the first place.

But that doesn't mean that this was the standard. Trade has happened for millennia and even countries that had limited resources in terms of food could get their hands on all kinds of produce from across the globe. The Dutch for example had access to rice, something that doesn't grow in the Netherlands, not even when using greenhouses.

I haven't read the entire link, I probably won't have time for it, but I see cookbooks are part of the source list. Recipes are not a source to determine what people eat on a daily basis. As for example bread is really expensive to produce using the old methods; it was cheaper than for example rice, but not nearly as cheap as for example the potato which came around when the Americas were discovered. Recipes focus on luxurious foods that the upper class could afford; and even they wouldn't eat that on a daily basis.

And even if you go by the slogan "people eat whatever they could get" the produce they ate depended on their locale. Hunting was one of the primary means of getting food as well as gathering in the regions that the people lived. Up until agriculture became a proper industry, people would inevitably get a varied diet rather than eating bread or potatos since neither of the 2 were pulled out of the ground in Europe.

Bodyshapes like Kul'Tiras in WoW expansion Battle of Azeroth, they have actually real bodies!Not like barbie and ken bodyshapes like we do. Perhaps we could see this in a feature expansion?I mean, Norns SHOULD be having Kul'Tiras bodyshapes and so should Humans too.

We have "older" looking faces, but the bodies are from a 20 years old person- makes no sense!

@"Alga.6498" said:Bodyshapes like Kul'Tiras in WoW expansion Battle of Azeroth, they have actually real bodies!Not like barbie and ken bodyshapes like we do. Perhaps we could see this in a feature expansion?I mean, Norns SHOULD be having Kul'Tiras bodyshapes and so should Humans too.

We have "older" looking faces, but the bodies are from a 20 years old person- makes no sense!

DDG is not my friend, do you have some reference pictures?

@reaVer.4056 said:

@"Alga.6498" said:Bodyshapes like Kul'Tiras in WoW expansion Battle of Azeroth, they have actually real bodies!Not like barbie and ken bodyshapes like we do. Perhaps we could see this in a feature expansion?I mean, Norns SHOULD be having Kul'Tiras bodyshapes and so should Humans too.

Yeah hold on, :)Here is a few examples, for bigger bodyshapes and there is even a skinny bodyshape aswell.FvEMhBw.jpgzu5Xarj.jpgNjFdowo.jpg

High carb food is very probably detrimental - but kinda less detrimental than starving to death. And is was the first kind of food people were are able to mass produce reliably.

@Spiral.3724 said:Curvy women, women who look real, women whose thighs touch, women whose arms aren't sticks!I get that gaming is a male-driven culture but y'all need to give the girl games some credit here. :)

Real women, and men for that matter, don't kill Elder Dragons, disgraced gods, nor ride around on raptors, giant bunnies or floating manta rays. There is little point to projecting your 'real world expectations' into a fantasy video game.

If you are looking to an MMO to re-affirm your personal self-esteem, then I'm afraid the problem isn't with how ANET chooses to design their models.

I will concede that, like most tired fantasy tropes, GW2's female armor and clothing leans too heavily towards the skimpy range (armor of distraction, as I refer to it), and given how hard they have worked to make realistic armor and weapon models, it would be nice if a female light armor wearer could actually wear...armor.

And the 2nd sentence of yours is just a tired throw away meme. If you don't recognize the sheer number of strong female characters that abound in this world, I'm not sure what else to say, because if that statement did apply to GW2, Eir would be busy in the kitchen baking Logan some cookies, while Caithe would be spending her time giving Rytlock a pawdecure.

@Alga.6498 said:

@Alga.6498 said:Bodyshapes like Kul'Tiras in WoW expansion Battle of Azeroth, they have actually real bodies!Not like barbie and ken bodyshapes like we do. Perhaps we could see this in a feature expansion?I mean, Norns SHOULD be having Kul'Tiras bodyshapes and so should Humans too.

Yeah hold on, :)Here is a few examples, for bigger bodyshapes and there is even a skinny bodyshape aswell.
FvEMhBw.jpgzu5Xarj.jpgNjFdowo.jpg

The body shapes provided are for one not realistic and secondly not combat viable. The big male could be, but he seems to be suffering from wrist cancer. The skinny male is extremely underweight making him extremely fragile, the woman is so fat she can't even take a combat stance, let alone the muscle power required to move that much fat around. And you can see by the lack of calves that she does NOT have the necessary strength to move that body of hers around, because by expectation she would be weighing around 130kg and when comparing that to my 150kg... My calves are at least twice as big and I'm not combat capable in the sense that GW2 would demand.

@Alga.6498 said:

@Alga.6498 said:Bodyshapes like Kul'Tiras in WoW expansion Battle of Azeroth, they have actually real bodies!Not like barbie and ken bodyshapes like we do. Perhaps we could see this in a feature expansion?I mean, Norns SHOULD be having Kul'Tiras bodyshapes and so should Humans too.

Yeah hold on, :)Here is a few examples, for bigger bodyshapes and there is even a skinny bodyshape aswell.

Wait, what? There's are real body's?

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@Spiral.3724 said:Curvy women, women who look real, women whose thighs touch, women whose arms aren't sticks!I get that gaming is a male-driven culture but y'all need to give the girl games some credit here. :)

Real women, and men for that matter, don't kill Elder Dragons, disgraced gods, nor ride around on raptors, giant bunnies or floating manta rays. There is little point to projecting your 'real world expectations' into a fantasy video game.

If you are looking to an MMO to re-affirm your personal self-esteem, then I'm afraid the problem isn't with how ANET chooses to design their models.

I will concede that, like most tired fantasy tropes, GW2's female armor and clothing leans too heavily towards the skimpy range (armor of distraction, as I refer to it), and given how hard they have worked to make realistic armor and weapon models, it would be nice if a female light armor wearer could actually wear...armor.

And the 2nd sentence of yours is just a tired throw away meme. If you don't recognize the sheer number of strong female characters that abound in this world, I'm not sure what else to say, because if that statement did apply to GW2, Eir would be busy in the kitchen baking Logan some cookies, while Caithe would be spending her time giving Rytlock a pawdecure.

That is something that bothers me about a lot of this discussion, and I've seen it happening in comics, too. The thing about our heroes is that they're supposed to be idealistic. We're playing the top 0.1% regarding strength and stamina. They're not going to look disfigured or like the dough boy. They're going to be fit and pretty. Even the old guys with non-traditional bodies are going to be distinguished and well built for their bodystyle.

I don't understand why people want to make ugly characters. Ugly is unpleasant to look at, by its very definition of being ugly. The public at large does not want to look at ugly people. It is a harsh truth but it is the truth.

@"Spiral.3724" said:I've been playing this game since the beginning, and I am still completely irritated with my choice of human female body types. Honestly, what's with the freaking thigh gap? These women look deformed. And their idea of "small breasts" is just to squish flat the big ones. Plus, unless you're an extreme bodybuilder, you're not gonna get those weird cut abs with the hip bone thing.

Amen. It's why I prefer playing males, especially in the human department.

And let's not forget that you don't get the choice to select a human female with broader shoulders. Why not, for heaven's sake?? Not all women are fragile little princesses. :angry:

Norn females are better

So much this!

I don't understand why the Human females can't have the much more beautifully designed Norn body types. Norn women also don't have their left knee awkwardly twisted inwards; and none of them, not even the slimmest ones, looks anorexic. :s

@reaVer.4056 said:

The body shapes provided are for one not realistic and secondly not combat viable. The big male could be, but he seems to be suffering from wrist cancer. The skinny male is extremely underweight making him extremely fragile, the woman is so fat she can't even take a combat stance, let alone the muscle power required to move that much fat around. And you can see by the lack of calves that she does NOT have the necessary strength to move that body of hers around, because by expectation she would be weighing around 130kg and when comparing that to my 150kg... My calves are at least twice as big and I'm not combat capable in the sense that GW2 would demand.

I do like the way the middle Thiccboi-model looks, lol. But that’s the body type of a fantasy ogre or troll, not a human being.

So you want our characters to die of heart disease?

Can we please stop pretending that being unhealthy is an acceptable lifestyle just because there are a ton of people who choose to eat garbage food, and not exercise.

Being in shape is something you have to put effort into, and saying that it is unrealistic for a person to make healthy desisions is absolutely ridiculous.

Put down the damn soda and drink a glass of water

@Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:I don't understand why people want to make ugly characters. Ugly is unpleasant to look at, by its very definition of being ugly. The public at large does not want to look at ugly people. It is a harsh truth but it is the truth.You should refrain from using words like beautiful or ugly when talking about these kinds of subjects as they are subjective terms and you'd lose the discussion outright on that point alone. Instead you can refer to something that is tangible and more deterministic: fitness levels, character mood... those kinds of things. They are quantifiable and they can be discussed more easily without perceived personal bias getting in the way.

Archived