Need Different Female Body Types

Spiral.3724

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@reaVer.4056 said:

@Alga.6498 said:Bodyshapes like Kul'Tiras in WoW expansion Battle of Azeroth, they have actually real bodies!Not like barbie and ken bodyshapes like we do. Perhaps we could see this in a feature expansion?I mean, Norns SHOULD be having Kul'Tiras bodyshapes and so should Humans too.

We have "older" looking faces, but the bodies are from a 20 years old person- makes no sense!

DDG is not my friend, do you have some reference pictures?

Yeah hold on, :)Here is a few examples, for bigger bodyshapes and there is even a skinny bodyshape aswell.
FvEMhBw.jpgzu5Xarj.jpgNjFdowo.jpg

The body shapes provided are for one not realistic and secondly not combat viable. The big male could be, but he seems to be suffering from wrist cancer. The skinny male is extremely underweight making him extremely fragile, the woman is so fat she can't even take a combat stance, let alone the muscle power required to move that much fat around. And you can see by the lack of calves that she does NOT have the necessary strength to move that body of hers around, because by expectation she would be weighing around 130kg and when comparing that to my 150kg... My calves are at least twice as big and I'm not combat capable in the sense that GW2 would demand.

Sure... but this is a video-game, a fantasy world fighting against dragons and gods.I doubt there is a doctor in Divinity's Reach saying "nope, you're too fat, you can't be a hero."

@Fat Disgrace.4275 said:

@Alga.6498 said:Bodyshapes like Kul'Tiras in WoW expansion Battle of Azeroth, they have actually real bodies!Not like barbie and ken bodyshapes like we do. Perhaps we could see this in a feature expansion?I mean, Norns SHOULD be having Kul'Tiras bodyshapes and so should Humans too.

We have "older" looking faces, but the bodies are from a 20 years old person- makes no sense!

Yeah hold on, :)Here is a few examples, for bigger bodyshapes and there is even a skinny bodyshape aswell.

Wait, what? There's are real body's?

Well, these are plus sizes bodyshapes. Not everyone is looking like Barbie and Ken IRL either, right?

@Maikimaik.1974 said:

So you want our characters to die of heart disease?

I am pretty sure our characters can live through everything. I mean, PC has gone through some real shit, haven't they?

@reaVer.4056 said:

@Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:I don't understand why people want to make ugly characters. Ugly is unpleasant to look at, by its very definition of being ugly. The public at large does not want to look at ugly people. It is a harsh truth but it is the truth.You should refrain from using words like beautiful or ugly when talking about these kinds of subjects as they are subjective terms and you'd lose the discussion outright on that point alone. Instead you can refer to something that is tangible and more deterministic: fitness levels, character mood... those kinds of things. They are quantifiable and they can be discussed more easily without perceived personal bias getting in the way.

Human aren't as subjective as you'd think. When it comes to aesthetics, three things are valued no matter where you go: cohesiveness, health, and status. It is not as rigid as Hollywood would have you think, and status is a somewhat vague term, but overall these themes are universal.

@Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:

@Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:I don't understand why people want to make ugly characters. Ugly is unpleasant to look at, by its very definition of being ugly. The public at large does not want to look at ugly people. It is a harsh truth but it is the truth.You should refrain from using words like beautiful or ugly when talking about these kinds of subjects as they are subjective terms and you'd lose the discussion outright on that point alone. Instead you can refer to something that is tangible and more deterministic: fitness levels, character mood... those kinds of things. They are quantifiable and they can be discussed more easily without perceived personal bias getting in the way.

Human aren't as subjective as you'd think. When it comes to aesthetics, three things are valued no matter where you go: cohesiveness, health, and status. It is not as rigid as Hollywood would have you think, and status is a somewhat vague term, but overall these themes are universal.

Weeeeeell... if you look back in European history, you’ll find that overweight to the point of obesity was a desired trait in both men and women.

Ironically it was seen as a sign of good health because it meant you had access to the highest quality foodstuff.

That is, the total opposite of today’s view on it.

@Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this, but the reason why all of the women are given thigh-gaps and all the men have wide stances it to prevent clipping. Otherwise they'd have to design an entire physics engine just to deal with thigh fat scraping against itself.

also apparently giant butts for the same reason although for that one they could have just left out the butt cape instead -_-

@Oglaf.1074 said:

Weeeeeell... if you look back in European history, you’ll find that overweight to the point of obesity was a desired trait in both men and women.

Ironically it was seen as a sign of good health because it meant you had access to the highest quality foodstuff.

if you bring up health then you also have to bring up their knowledge of how the body works which was not so great

As any GW2 player should know constant bleeding is not going to improve your health ...

@Alga.6498 said:

The body shapes provided are for one not realistic and secondly not combat viable. The big male could be, but he seems to be suffering from wrist cancer. The skinny male is extremely underweight making him extremely fragile, the woman is so fat she can't even take a combat stance, let alone the muscle power required to move that much fat around. And you can see by the lack of calves that she does NOT have the necessary strength to move that body of hers around, because by expectation she would be weighing around 130kg and when comparing that to my 150kg... My calves are at least twice as big and I'm not combat capable in the sense that GW2 would demand.

Sure... but this is a video-game, a fantasy world fighting against dragons and gods.I doubt there is a doctor in Divinity's Reach saying "
nope, you're too fat, you can't be a hero.
"

Wait, what? There's are real body's?

Well, these are plus sizes bodyshapes. Not everyone is looking like Barbie and Ken IRL either, right?

No, they are fat sized and pretty un healthy looking tbh.

@Oglaf.1074 said:

Being overweight in general was desired, because everyone was either too poor to eat or suffering from dysentery. If you were overweight it meant both health and wealth.

Today's view isn't the opposite. The popularity of the term "thicc" is proof enough of that. With modern food and medicine, we've reach a balancing point. Too thin is a sign of drug use, or pestilence. Too fat is a sign of poor self control or bad genetics. The only people who want everyone to be rail-thin are fashion designers.

Slightly off topic, but I love the two different 'realism' arguments. One being: You want realistic body types in a fantasy game? Ridiculous! Vs: It's not realistic to have a body type like that given the character's level of expected fitness. Ridiculous!

Reality: There are unhealthy people who are strong by nature. We play in a game that has mounts, waypoints, and all manner of ways to avoid exercising. There is no reason there couldn't be a chubby Elementalist when all they do is cast spells at a distance. There's no reason a person couldn't want to play an overweight bruiser-ish thug of a warrior, swinging a hammer around and propelled to success by using his weight effectively, not necessarily out of being a body-builder (a type of 'strong' that is based more on appearance than ability to execute deeds).

I tend to play a lot of Sylvari toons as others have pointed out because the humans are pretty generic stereotypes. People make the repeated remarks about physical activity, but my Mirage could totally be chubby. He dodges by standing in place. He attacks with clones, is a spell casting class. Just because you can point at a few professions and go 'this would never make sense' doesn't mean it doesn't make sense anywhere.

@"Alga.6498" said:Well, these are plus sizes bodyshapes. Not everyone is looking like Barbie and Ken IRL either, right?

Why do you think it's okay to look like that in real life? Why do you think it's okay to let people slowly kill themselves whilst celebrating "body positivity"?You know what's just as bad as fat shaming? Skinny shaming. And you're doing exactly that. You're calling us skinny people unrealistic and you're glorifying obesity. Yes, many people in the western world are obese or at least overweight, but being the norm doesn't make it right. I'm sorry for being healthy, I'm sorry for trying to limit the chance of me dying at age 45 because of a heart disease. It's not unrealistic to be skinny, and it's not normal to be overweight. Just take a look at countries like Japan or South Korea. Highly developed, yet not overweight, because they actually care about their health.

Being overweight in general was desired, because everyone was either too poor to eat or suffering from dysentery. If you were overweight it meant both health and wealth.

Today's view isn't the opposite. The popularity of the term "thicc" is proof enough of that. With modern food and medicine, we've reach a balancing point. Too thin is a sign of drug use, or pestilence. Too fat is a sign of poor self control or bad genetics. The only people who want everyone to be rail-thin are fashion designers.

Thicc does not equal overweight.

@Ceit.7619 said:Slightly off topic, but I love the two different 'realism' arguments. One being: You want realistic body types in a fantasy game? Ridiculous! Vs: It's not realistic to have a body type like that given the character's level of expected fitness. Ridiculous!

Reality: There are unhealthy people who are strong by nature. We play in a game that has mounts, waypoints, and all manner of ways to avoid exercising. There is no reason there couldn't be a chubby Elementalist when all they do is cast spells at a distance. There's no reason a person couldn't want to play an overweight bruiser-ish thug of a warrior, swinging a hammer around and propelled to success by using his weight effectively, not necessarily out of being a body-builder (a type of 'strong' that is based more on appearance than ability to execute deeds).

I tend to play a lot of Sylvari toons as others have pointed out because the humans are pretty generic stereotypes. People make the repeated remarks about physical activity, but my Mirage could totally be chubby. He dodges by standing in place. He attacks with clones, is a spell casting class. Just because you can point at a few professions and go 'this would never make sense' doesn't mean it doesn't make sense anywhere.

@Alga.6498 I'm tagging you in here because both of you basically provided the above argument.

So there's 2 types of realism here, actual realism and logical realism. To venture off into fantasy land is only possible when logical realism is maintained. The lack of logical realism will ruin the immersion and will snap people out of their suspension of belief. Every good story will have an explanation as to why for example magic is possible within that realm. Within both Fist of the Northstar and Dragonball Z there's the explanation that the body's internal energies are focused outward to for example blow up an opponent's body, to fire projectiles or to fly around. Even the odd things like Instant Transmission are well explained within those universes. This allows viewers to look into that world and immerse themselves.

If you have a being classified as human and classified as morbidly obese running around fighting all sorts of enemies without enduring a heart attack you infringe on logical realism. You infringe further by having these types of characters pulling off the exact same feats as properly built characters. And in doing so you ruin the immersion that a game has to offer. If you remain skeptical of what I just said, go to your local boxing/mma gym and tell them the internatz has sent you to demonstrate to you what fighting does to your body in terms of exhaustion. I'm sure that they will hand you a class for free just so you learn.

To repeat, I didn't say the GW2 models are perfect, but they are much better than what you are proposing right now.

@reaVer.4056 said:

@Alga.6498 I'm tagging you in here because both of you basically provided the above argument.

So there's 2 types of realism here, actual realism and logical realism. To venture off into fantasy land is only possible when logical realism is maintained. The lack of logical realism will ruin the immersion and will snap people out of their suspension of belief. Every good story will have an explanation as to why for example magic is possible within that realm. Within both Fist of the Northstar and Dragonball Z there's the explanation that the body's internal energies are focused outward to for example blow up an opponent's body, to fire projectiles or to fly around. Even the odd things like Instant Transmission are well explained within those universes. This allows viewers to look into that world and immerse themselves.

If you have a being classified as human and classified as morbidly obese running around fighting all sorts of enemies without enduring a heart attack you infringe on logical realism. You infringe further by having these types of characters pulling off the exact same feats as properly built characters. And in doing so you ruin the immersion that a game has to offer. If you remain skeptical of what I just said, go to your local boxing/mma gym and tell them the internatz has sent you to demonstrate to you what fighting does to your body in terms of exhaustion. I'm sure that they will hand you a class for free just so you learn.

To repeat, I didn't say the GW2 models are perfect, but they are much better than what you are proposing right now.

And yet you once again did not address my main point. Not all of the characters ARE fighters. Some are casting classes. SCHOLARS. Bookworms. You are also comparing top-tier professional fighters with player characters, which isn't really accurate. PC's are meant to be strong, but looking at the game with logical realism, Sabetha is just a human, yet it takes 10 people to outnumber her and kill her, generally speaking. When individual humans are capable of being group enemies, it proves that the PC is not the pinnacle of human perfection, and thus there is room for imperfections. And that is entirely separate from characters who have no business being fit (Looking at you, scholar professions).

@Ceit.7619 said:

And yet you once again did not address my main point. Not all of the characters ARE fighters. Some are casting classes. SCHOLARS. Bookworms. You are also comparing top-tier professional fighters with player characters, which isn't really accurate. PC's are meant to be strong, but looking at the game with logical realism, Sabetha is just a human, yet it takes 10 people to outnumber her and kill her, generally speaking. When individual humans are capable of being group enemies, it proves that the PC is not the pinnacle of human perfection, and thus there is room for imperfections. And that is entirely separate from characters who have no business being fit (Looking at you, scholar professions).

I don't know about you, but my profs at the U rarely ran around blasting Ogres and stuff...

@Algreg.3629 said:

I don't know about you, but my profs at the U rarely ran around blasting Ogres and stuff...

But the point is that blasting ogres and stuff is not physical exercise. A member of the priory, who is primarily reading, researching or doing experiments, is not also adding in fitness regimens to be a peak fighter. There is no reason that a warrior and a mesmer, for instance, should both be at the same basic fitness appearance. That is also once again entirely separate from other real-world fighter types existing, such as a brutish thug who is just naturally strong, lithe acrobat, etc.

@Ceit.7619 said:

But the point is that blasting ogres and stuff is not physical exercise. A member of the priory, who is primarily reading, researching or doing experiments, is not also adding in fitness regimens to be a peak fighter. There is no reason that a warrior and a mesmer, for instance, should both be at the same basic fitness appearance. That is also once again entirely separate from other real-world fighter types existing, such as a brutish thug who is just naturally strong, lithe acrobat, etc.

Do we know that spellcasting is not sufficiently strenuous to accellerate metabolism, heart rate, breathing, stress musculature, etc?

Women with a thigh gap are "deformed"?Women with thin arms, thigh gaps or large breasts are "not real people"?That would make my wife "deformed"I honestly thought we were past this type of language and this entire mindset in 2018.I put in a friendly report for your behaviour, OP. Maybe take some time away from your screen.

@Ceit.7619 said:

fighting as a caster seems pretty physical to me in game :P

@"Ulyssean.1709" said:Women with a thigh gap are "deformed"?Women with thin arms, thigh gaps or large breasts are "not real people"?That would make my wife "deformed"I honestly thought we were past this type of language and this entire mindset in 2018.I put in a friendly report for your behaviour, OP. Maybe take some time away from your screen.

Agreed. This is the hypocritical irony behind “body positivity” and similar modern movements which is why I cannot stomach any of them.

I don’t want to brag, but I’m somewhat of an amateur bodybuilder (odd mix for a gaming nerd, I l know) and I see absolutely nothing “body negative” about my various idols and role models in the biz. In my mind there is no body more “positive” than those of The Governator and his peers. They should all be seen in a positive light, something to aspire to.

@Oglaf.1074 said:

Would you prefer if I said "phat?" There's a lot of 'em.

Would you prefer if I said "phat?" There's a lot of 'em.

Phat is indeed quite the different phenomenon from thicc.

Archived