Jump to content
  • Sign Up

Introducing the Systems Team


Recommended Posts

@ReaverKane.7598 said:

@Substance E.4852 said:Not exactly sure what the PvWvP people will contribute to the rewards team, and vice versa, but it sounds like a positive step forward to get everyone working together regarding the areas where balance matters most.

Well more heads to solve issues... Also, rewards are very disparate between PvP modes where you can get incredibly rare and expensive items just from playing (like Mystic clovers for example) and PvE where you have to spend a lot of time and currency to obtain them.IMO that's also one of the things that lowered the quality of the PvP community overall. Too many people started PvPing simply to farm rewards, not caring about the competitive aspect, which creates more openings for people afking, throwing matches and win trading.

I doubt there's much correlation. If there is any, it's probably the inverse in that Anet buffed up the rewards because they saw the participation rates go down. Moving toward instagib combat was a massive barrier of entry for newbies. You have to have something to entice them to try the mode.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious what the workflow for balancing the game looks like now. I assume it's cyclical, as in a balance patch being released is both the end of one cycle and beginning of the next. What does it look like in between releases? How is the teams time spent? What sort of benchmarks does the team use to measure progress? What would the typical work day/week look like when balancing the game?

Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites

@ReaverKane.7598 said:

@"Substance E.4852" said:Not exactly sure what the PvWvP people will contribute to the rewards team, and vice versa, but it sounds like a positive step forward to get everyone working together regarding the areas where balance matters most.

Well more heads to solve issues... Also, rewards are very disparate between PvP modes where you can get incredibly rare and expensive items just from playing (like Mystic clovers for example) and PvE where you have to spend a lot of time and currency to obtain them.IMO that's also one of the things that lowered the quality of the PvP community overall. Too many people started PvPing simply to farm rewards, not caring about the competitive aspect, which creates more openings for people afking, throwing matches and win trading.

Pvp failed because Anet just didn't leave the "competitive aspect" or didn't make a new pvp pvefriendly mode (with more than 5v5 players in small map with a tactical objective).Hopefully, the rewards are the only thing that make pve'rs players come to pvp and make pvp'ers not wait 6 minutes for a fight.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I would like to bring attention of reward team to Chak Egg Sac. No, dont worry its not about drop rate, I just want to say this: For item that rare and that valuable, can you guys put amulet and jewel in legendary/ascended quality box and make a special description to reflect its value? I keep thinking about new / unfocused players who lost this aura item (by selling/delete or salvaging with wrong kit) because it was obscured by amulet with garbage stats. That would be really sad, right?

Same can be applied to Queen Bee and Vial of Aurillium and basically to any other infusion/jewel which drops or will drop in open world (or anywhere else).

Thank you!

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Incognito.3529 said:So, I would like to bring attention of reward team to Chak Egg Sac. No, dont worry its not about drop rate, I just want to say this: For item that rare and that valuable, can you guys put amulet and jewel in legendary/ascended quality box and make a special description to reflect its value? I keep thinking about new / unfocused players who lost this aura item (by selling/delete or salvaging with wrong kit) because it was obscured by amulet with garbage stats. That would be really sad, right?

Same can be applied to Queen Bee and Vial of Aurillium and basically to any other infusion/jewel which drops or will drop in open world (or anywhere else).

Thank you!

Good point. I can definitely see some new player being the one in 50 or more people doing the meta to be the one to get this and not know what it is and trash it. Lol

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Irenio CalmonHuang.2048 said:

@ButterPeanut.9746 said:Not sure if you can comment on specific numbers, but if so, is this restructure a consolidation as well? Or will it appear as such? A recent restructure that was commented on was the raids/fractals team being combined. It gave the appearance of a restructure for the sake of consolidation (i.e. 5 people on each team previously turns into 6-8 total now).

This isn't a consolidation; everyone that was on each of the previous teams is on the Systems team.

Awesome, thanks for the reply!

Link to post
Share on other sites

How is the systems team going to improve the current game modes? In the past there were feature packs which in my opinion were some of the best changes to the game. Some of the core systems that don't exist in the game right now are build templates and repeatable raid and CM rewards. These don't add new content but will make any future and existing content in the game more enjoyable and repeatable.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Delweyn.1309 said:It's surprising, I think that each mode works nicely independently.

The only problem is that there is not a real team dedicated in pvp mode.

Each mode hasn't worked well independently.

The balance from each, impacts each other sometimes directly, other times indirectly.

Both PvP and WvW have been declining in its base for some time. Yes, there have been infusions of players at times because of seasons and changes in WvW rewards, but a constant frustration at least in WvW is a dearth of new things. (Yes, the WvW forums explode when something new is added lol)

And there hasn't been a WvW team either.

Maybe this change helps with making both modes more engaging to new players while not alienating 'vets'

Link to post
Share on other sites

Please keep PVE devs and players out of PvP and WvW balance and rewards. Its why most of wvw and pvp are so bad. A lot of pve players crying that pvp and wvw are too hard to farm. Maybe a rework to pvp matchmaking for unranked? A new wvw mechanic that takes something more than east boring blobs to get rewards? Just some thoughts from a full time wvw and pvp player om both NA and EU servers..

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Loosmaster.8263 said:Is there going to be a Subforum created for communication with them for ideas/request? This welcome thread is quickly devolving into a...

There already is: The August AFC. (Link posted previously in thread.) Well, for ideas/questions about the Team, anyway.If you mean a Balance Preview thread, those are sometimes offered. Maybe for the next balance pass after this upcoming one.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

@Loosmaster.8263 said:Is there going to be a Subforum created for communication with them for ideas/request? This welcome thread is quickly devolving into a...

There already is: The August AFC. (Link posted previously in thread.) Well, for ideas/questions about the Team, anyway.If you mean a Balance Preview thread, those are sometimes offered. Maybe for the next balance pass after this upcoming one.

Well, first time I went to the link, I saw stuff about Raids, lol. Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a great move by the company. This will help ensure none of these smaller teams go without the resources they need to get content out at a more static pace. I do have a question for the former rewards team though! Have you guys been hearing and seeing the requests for new rewards across the game? Do you have plans or anything in mind? In addition to that, how do you plan on balancing out modes like WvW so that those players feel just as rewarded in terms of gold versus those who farm in PvE. I mean its obvious you'll never have pure balance in rewards but the drastic increase in gold income per hour in WvW is very poor to say the least. Not to mention that outside of the new skimish vendor, the loot has pretty much been the same for 6 years and with Istan lowing the value of things like rares and ectosplasms it makes making gold in WvW even worse.

I would be 100% happy to sit down and brainstorm ideas with any of you. You can see my account to see how passionate I am about WvW but it just feels bad that I don't have much to show for it. I feel poor compared to my PvE friends. I do want to say thank you so much for the legendary armor and backpiece along with ascended trinkets added to the skirmish vendor. That was a huge step but I'm ready for some more additions!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there any way to ensure that Mortar and Tornado are no longer useless elites for Elementalist and Engineer? Some power buffs to them? or relevant conditions/boons applied?Also remove racial elites from the game, they serve no purpose and are wasted altogther. I love the GW1 Norns and the importance of the spirits but that isn't the case in GW2- Norn spirits are useless and have no impact in lore or story or playstyle, so it's best they are just removed.just take away all racial elites.More PvP game modes like death match, and 1v1 ranked or 3 v 3.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@SnowHawk.3615 said:Is there any way to ensure that Mortar and Tornado are no longer useless elites for Elementalist and Engineer? Some power buffs to them? or relevant conditions/boons applied?Also remove racial elites from the game, they serve no purpose and are wasted altogther. I love the GW1 Norns and the importance of the spirits but that isn't the case in GW2- Norn spirits are useless and have no impact in lore or story or playstyle, so it's best they are just removed.just take away all racial elites.

I agree with you, but rather I'd like it if the Racials were actually just useful (can be utility/CC/Damage). I know that Anet wants people to play what they want, but I'd rather all abilities just be useful. Else as you said just remove them because it's like an overloaded cup of Frozen Yogurt, yes you could drizzle fudge and sprinkle graham crackers on top your cookie bits, gummy worms, and fruit, but at that point it isn't adding flavor it's just more clutter. I rather be jealous that my human can't shapeshift into a free juggernaut-like racial skill (or a kit that just gives permanent swiftness [maybe on the leopard/raven]) then just seeing every class using the same skills. Like when the Asura's use technobabble (also I didn't know it's toolbelt dealt confusion that'd be pretty cool to use in a condi engi build) for breakbars or humans using the roots from Avatar of Melandru in raids. But yeah either make them useful or take them out.

100% agree with you on tornado and mortar with Elixir X. You can't really even tell where your hit box is in tornado form and it's hard to know if you're actually hitting anything as well. For Ele it'd be nice if they just made it a simple tornado spell that you just throw out maybe it can pull trash mobs to it's center while dealing light cc and an additional effect per element. For engi they could turn the tool belt of the elixir to a water down version of that and just make you juggernaut when you drink it. I don't even know how to fix mortar because it is useful for it's fields, but I feel like that non very thematic for a mortar, also I feel like kits are hard to make into elites because there very little downtime on them and they give you more skills which have to be weaker for balanced sake. Maybe if they made Mortar Kit shoot very powerful projectile: one Power, one Condi, one CC. You can spam whatever ammo you want for a short amount of time go full rambo, but once the effect ends the kit goes on cooldown.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Delweyn.1309 said:

@"Substance E.4852" said:Not exactly sure what the PvWvP people will contribute to the rewards team, and vice versa, but it sounds like a positive step forward to get everyone working together regarding the areas where balance matters most.

Well more heads to solve issues... Also, rewards are very disparate between PvP modes where you can get incredibly rare and expensive items just from playing (like Mystic clovers for example) and PvE where you have to spend a lot of time and currency to obtain them.IMO that's also one of the things that lowered the quality of the PvP community overall. Too many people started PvPing simply to farm rewards, not caring about the competitive aspect, which creates more openings for people afking, throwing matches and win trading.

Pvp failed because Anet just didn't leave the "competitive aspect" or didn't make a new pvp pvefriendly mode (with more than 5v5 players in small map with a tactical objective).Hopefully, the rewards are the only thing that make pve'rs players come to pvp and make pvp'ers not wait 6 minutes for a fight.

The question is, do you want pve'rs in PvP, especially when things like the team queue vote happens on the back of those players. More people is good, but more people at the expense of losing the people that really care for the game mode doesn't help.But yeah, game modes with larger teams and stuff like CTF, or just plain old death match arenas would definetly help bring more attention to it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...