Anybody else feeling that the pacing of Mirage is way off ?

Sombrero.9204

Hello everyone,

I'm in a very weird spot at the moment as I hated Chronomancer for not providing much offensive option and having very boring wells and thought I would love Mirage for having so many varied spells (the utility in particular) and the unique mechanics. But after a decent amount of time playing with the Mirage I just don't like much of it. At the end of the day I almost prefer a very core-like Mesmer and just use the Veil Cloak mechanic to boost my auto-hit now and then. My biggest problem is that it feels that making proper use of a "true" mirage (i.e using axe and most of utilities) it requires a number of action per minute way superior to any other archetype. All cooldown are very low and many actions are possible (such as dodge being used offensively for instance). On paper it sounds awesome and rewarding but in practice it just makes combat extremly messy and confusing even for the mesmer playing Mirage which should not be the case. For a condition mostly based specialization I'm feeling stuck to find any condition build I like to play and I have always played condi mesmer since release and for the very first time feel pushed to play pure power as it gives a playstyle a lot more fluid and fun (sword in particular with the Ambush feels a lot more interesting than the Axe one).

I'm open to advices and suggestions to have a better time with my Mirage, I feel I may be missing something or may have built my character wrong. I don't know but I loved Mesmer so much for such a long time (specially since the massive rework a while ago now) and for the very first time I really feel like entirely switching to another class (or simply go back to Chronomancer but I'm a bit bored of playing Chronomancer at this point, more of the same no thanks).

Also I have seen only one mirage so far and plenty of all other classes with their new specs so it really gave me the impression that I wasn't the only one really not clicking with the Mirage.

Try Sword/Sword and GS as a Power spec :) I've been having an amazing time with it. Sword/Sword for short range (obviously) and mostly if you're fighting few targets, or if they're spread out. It also provides a ton of mobility (Domination trait allowing dazes to potentially become stuns and increasing the duration of both). Also 3 Clones created just from Sword 3-4-5 is pretty damn useful.

GS for large AoE's or just if they're close together. GS you'll be doing absurd amounts of damage, decent Clone generation, but mostly just with the massive burst (Ambush > 4 > 2 > 3 Ambush) you can destroy large amounts of small monsters, while keeping yourself mobile with Jaunt/V

I don't thing I have issues with learning how to play Mirage when I tried 15 minutes Deadeye and Weaver and they both felt very intuitive and quite refreshing to play. Mirage mechanics are very clunky and for example the duration of MirageClock and the fact that it doesn't proc automatically Ambush in some cases but does in some others is just stupid. Regular dodge does proc an automatic Ambush but some utility like the teleporting one around the target doesn't.

I genuinely think there is some major issues of how the spec feels and I'm not even talking about the numbers (as a matter of fact I do a lot more condi damage with a shield thanks to the massive aoe stun that can procs tons of confusion with the correct trait than a full condi mirage does, and mirage as far as I know is clearly a lot more condi oriented by design).

Jaunt is a great example of the clunkiness of the class in my opinion. On paper it's a very strong spell but in combat you almost never use the effect of it fully. You use it mostly to quickly move (dodge, get back in fight, out of fight and so on) and the confusion effect from it is wasted. It ends up being a mostly defensive tool (specially thanks to the cleanse effect) and loses its identity. I'd rather have only one charge on a decently low cooldown and have a longer range with another effect (or at least a strong confusion not a boring/weak one) such as being in Ambush when you teleport or something (which would give a lot more diversity in terms of build as the effect should benefit all weapons in theory).

Archived