Returning player without expansion

I'm just getting back into the game, have none of the expansions. My last main was a lv 80 necro but so much has changed. I want to start a new char (non-melee) from scratch, will be playing mostly in open world. What would you recommend as a self-reliant profession to build, no expansion, and non-melee class?

It sounds like Ranger would suit you, especially with Longbow (for long distance direct Power damage) or Shortbow (for mid-range Condi damage over time).

Some other options would be a Greatsword Mesmer (which is certainly long-mid range Power; not too difficult) or Rifle Engineer (mid-range Power, some Engineer Kit Swapping eg. Grenades, Flamethrower, Elixir Gun and/or the elite Mortar Kit; much more difficult).

There are a couple other options, such as Rifle/Longbow Warrior, Duel Pistol/Shortbow Thief, Staff Elementalist, etc. but I think those are a bit more niche (in my personal opinion).

Overall Ranger would be good choice to start out with and see how ranged combat feels; they're called Rangers after all :)

Archived