Can't buy gems using paypal [merged]

Yeah this isn't just a paypal problem but a credit card problem. I can't buy gems in-game period. My IP address is somewhat dynamic, but they have the range logged in multiple times.I think al of this headache could be avoided if they just offer to purchase gems on this website, (like most games do these days!) in lieu of trying in-game. I've never had a problem purchasing online currency for a game before (the Zen store for ARC games for example).So there's definitely something wrong with the GW2 way of buying gems.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

I got the same issue.I tried PayPal - no luck. Tried credit card (which works perfectly fine on any website/game) but no avail either. I keep getting the "Unfortunately an error has occured. Please try again later!" Message that pops up in a split second and then disappears again.Due to this issue, I haven't purchased gems in over a year while I used to spend €30 every 1-2 months.Recently tried to purchase an expansion for my second account. Same result through guildwars2.com website as well as in game...It's frustrating. I want to spend my money on a game I love, and they don't want it :<

@"Amemya.4986" said:I got the same issue.I tried PayPal - no luck. Tried credit card (which works perfectly fine on any website/game) but no avail either. I keep getting the "Unfortunately an error has occured. Please try again later!" Message that pops up in a split second and then disappears again.Due to this issue, I haven't purchased gems in over a year while I used to spend €30 every 1-2 months.Recently tried to purchase an expansion for my second account. Same result through guildwars2.com website as well as in game...It's frustrating. I want to spend my money on a game I love, and they don't want it :<

You'll need to contact the Billing CS Team via the 'Support' link above/below for assistance (to possibly remove the flag on your account).

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

These Support people don't 'care if the company they are representing gets money, Digital River is also at Fallout 76 and I get same issues as you do, payment error then support says it's yo8ur bank or paypal and to contact them, meanwhile bank and paypal both say no transactions are happening and no decline happened. This is clearly a Digital River issue and Anet is seriously losing a lot of money by going with them, I've resorted to just buying Gem Cards off other sites to get a cool outfit I wanted. And Fallout 76 failure really was a boon that Digital River messes up that badly it saved me from spending any money on that besides the first purchase. Anet you really need to talk to Digital River about this issue.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

More than halfway through 2020 now and still this is a problem. It seems to be a recurring issue as I've read a lot of similar incidents. I'm trying to buy gems to take advantage of the anniversary sale but to no avail. Same problem as those who posted before me: Can't buy gems in-game through PayPal or my Credit Card. I just don't understand why. Does ArenaNet not want my money? I reckon they've lost a lot, I mean A LOT of paying customers because of this issue. Will there be a fix for this soon?

@rossballa.7610 said:I'm having the same problem. Support said the issue would be fixed with 12 hours. It's been almost 16 hours and still no response.

It took 18 hours for me, from the time they said it would be fixed within 12 hours to the time I got the email saying it's fixed.

The second email didn't say anything about what the problem was or what they had to do to fix it (I assume nothing to do with my card or Paypal account, because they didn't ask for any additional info) so I don't know if the extra delay was because it took longer than expected to fix it or because they're busier than usual. It didn't make a big difference to me because either way I would have gotten the second email in the middle of the night and wouldn't have seen it until the next morning.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to chime in and tell that I'm experiencing the same issue: receiving an error message for a split of second when trying to purchase gems via PayPal and Paysafecard.

It seems that it is also no longer possible to buy gem cards in stores as an alternative, so there is currently no way to buy gems for me?

It took me about 3 business days to get resolved. Seemed longer, as it stretched over a weekend. It also took a 3rd level of person. But...I am not resolved! So please hang in there. Don't panic if you get a 'how was your experience' response, your ticket is still open. Sadly, I responded a bit snippy to that, thinking my ticket was closed, but apologized for being a spoiled brat and hopefully that smoothed things over. :#

• 2 months later...

This is seriously ridiculous. How does a company which uses it's in game purchases to stay alive NOT have a working in game system to give them money ..... Additionally, how do they not have someone available to address these issues when needed ?

How many people walk into a store and sit there and wait when they are told "Oh, sorry we can't accept any money right now". "Oh by the way, we have no one here that can help you either. Maybe someone will get back to you later on."

Additionally, your submit ticket system throws people to a useless page which attempts to tell you the issue is network related, or try again later. That is not a feature, it's a ridiculous attempt at pushing people off. Which, as a business, you probably shouldn't be trying to push people away from trying to fix not being able to give you money.....