Domain of Vabbi Lightning strikes is a silly idea.

Mokk.2397

Having trouble doing any of the events because of the constant lightning strikes.I can understand making the game challenging but this is nuts.I have no problems with most of the enemies but that lightning is stupid.you can't even dodge it.At some point you need to fight outside of the safe zones and you can't do that in flight or on a skimmer mount or griffon.What's the point of having events in these areas if you can't do them .There has to be a happy medium making things challenging without going completely silly.These areas become devoid of any people because they become so frustrating to do. Wouldn't it be better to have something like Thaw Elixir in bitter frost that allows a degree of immunity?Or have I missed something.

It's an interesting area. Kind of eerie. You've probably figured out already that the lightning doesn't hit you if you're under cover, even if it's a small outcrop under a cliff. The lightning is also not very damaging, so it's possible to fight and heal for some time. It's more strategic than BFF because you can survive there by flying/running from shelter to shelter. You survive by your wits, and not some tedious-to-collect potion.

It was the only zone even remotely challenging to explore. You do need to be a little careful there and pick the path you are going to travel instead of wondering aimlessly, but it's an interesting challenge. Combat is especially fun, you need to reset the lightning timer periodically by entering cover or mounting briefly. The whole place reminds me of Orr before the nerf - step wisely!

The brand is tolerable, yet nothing exciting to go through. This area suffers from similar level of irrelevancy as LW3 bitterfrost area from Crack in the Ice episode. Once you're done with exploration and related achievements there is no reason to go back there. I think that's what you can say about PoF in general.

@Mokk.2397 said:Having trouble doing any of the events because of the constant lightning strikes.I can understand making the game challenging but this is nuts.I have no problems with most of the enemies but that lightning is stupid.you can't even dodge it.At some point you need to fight outside of the safe zones and you can't do that in flight or on a skimmer mount or griffon.What's the point of having events in these areas if you can't do them .There has to be a happy medium making things challenging without going completely silly.These areas become devoid of any people because they become so frustrating to do. Wouldn't it be better to have something like Thaw Elixir in bitter frost that allows a degree of immunity?Or have I missed something.

Lightning doesn't hit you if you are on a skimmer. There is enough of a gap between the strikes to allow you to mount up on your skimmer and avoid the strikes, provided you have the skimmer on a quick button. Spam it when all mobs around you are dead and you will get on your skimmer and happily explore the brand. Engage some mobs to kill them and finish events, spam skimmer to get your health back, rinse and repeat.

@Mokk.2397 said:Having trouble doing any of the events because of the constant lightning strikes.I can understand making the game challenging but this is nuts.I have no problems with most of the enemies but that lightning is stupid.you can't even dodge it.At some point you need to fight outside of the safe zones and you can't do that in flight or on a skimmer mount or griffon.What's the point of having events in these areas if you can't do them .There has to be a happy medium making things challenging without going completely silly.These areas become devoid of any people because they become so frustrating to do. Wouldn't it be better to have something like Thaw Elixir in bitter frost that allows a degree of immunity?Or have I missed something.

The lightning is probably the biggest reason I never got close to finishing Vabbi. It's miserable to explore the branded areas, and fundamentally not fun. Just like the canids, the sulfur rivers, and the endless awakened in the Desolation. If both of those maps fell off the continent of Tyria, I think we'd be the better for it. I'd love to see them excised from my dailies at the very least. Blah.

@juhani.5361 said:

The lightning is probably the biggest reason I never got close to finishing Vabbi. It's miserable to explore the branded areas, and fundamentally
not fun
. Just like the canids, the sulfur rivers, and the endless awakened in the Desolation. If both of those maps fell off the continent of Tyria, I think we'd be the better for it. I'd love to see them excised from my dailies at the very least. Blah.

Sorry but what? You never have to leave your Skimmer or at least you will always find a place to stand under before using the Springer to jump up a rock or something. The lightning isn't even enough to stop you from mounting because you are out of combat before the next one strikes. The only thing it does is instantly kill you if you get downed, at which point you probably deserve to die anyway because there is no combat outside of Serpent's Ire spawns anyway that is ever required

@Blocki.4931 said:

The lightning is probably the biggest reason I never got close to finishing Vabbi. It's miserable to explore the branded areas, and fundamentally
not fun
. Just like the canids, the sulfur rivers, and the endless awakened in the Desolation. If both of those maps fell off the continent of Tyria, I think we'd be the better for it. I'd love to see them excised from my dailies at the very least. Blah.

Sorry but what? You never have to leave your Skimmer or at least you will always find a place to stand under before using the Springer to jump up a rock or something. The lightning isn't even enough to stop you from mounting because you are out of combat before the next one strikes. The only thing it does is instantly kill you if you get downed, at which point you probably deserve to die anyway because there is no combat outside of Serpent's Ire spawns anyway that is ever required

At some point, you have to exit to get to the mastery areas. You also have an annoying purple aura around your monitor as you move around the area whether you're susceptible to lightning or not. The whole experience is irritating at best, infuriating at worst. It's a personal taste thing-- I loathe dealing with environmental effects in games. They hit my insta-angry button.

There is a trick I learned that makes exploring here so much easier - the lightning strikes trigger the no mounting cooldown, but the cooldown does not last until the next lightning strike. Since the skimmer is immune to the lightning, you spend most of the travel on that. When you get to an are where you need to switch mounts in the open with no cover from the lightning (to switch to griffon or springer for example) you dismount, probably get hit once by lightning and just get ready to hit the mount swap button. You should be able to switch mounts between the lightning strikes as long as you hit the button fast. Once you are done with the springer / griffon / whatever, do the same trick to switch back to skimmer.

@"Mokk.2397" said:Having trouble doing any of the events because of the constant lightning strikes.I can understand making the game challenging but this is nuts.I have no problems with most of the enemies but that lightning is stupid.you can't even dodge it.At some point you need to fight outside of the safe zones and you can't do that in flight or on a skimmer mount or griffon.What's the point of having events in these areas if you can't do them .There has to be a happy medium making things challenging without going completely silly.These areas become devoid of any people because they become so frustrating to do. Wouldn't it be better to have something like Thaw Elixir in bitter frost that allows a degree of immunity?Or have I missed something.

The two most annoying mechanics that ANet seems to rely on are:

1. Mobs stunlocking players
  2. "The floor is lava" mentality (Although the lightning comes from above, its only when you are on the ground that it occurs.)

I'm surprised there wasn't actually a mastery to avoid lightning strikes whilst exploring on foot/in combat, like a portable bubble shield you could deploy to make a tempoary safe combat area or something.

I found the area irritating when doing map exploration, but as others have mentioned its just a case of stay on the skimmer and quickly switch to the springer if needed (also with the springer just keep doing small jumps). Of course going back with the griffon obtained makes some bits easier to navigate too. Fortunelty now I've done map completion the lightning doesn't bother me as I don't find it an interesting enough area to go back to for any reason.

At first the area was surprising and slightly confusing but then it just turned annoying. It feels like a far lees fun version of super mario brothers world or something to me. That's why you usually only see people there who have to be there for the story, hp or achievement instead of people who want to explore. I understand what anet is doing and that other people enjoy this but I find no challenge in all these jumping areas. The paths are more time consuming than hard to find.

@Patchwreck.2357 said:At first the area was surprising and slightly confusing but then it just turned annoying. It feels like a far lees fun version of super mario brothers world or something to me. That's why you usually only see people there who have to be there for the story, hp or achievement instead of people who want to explore. I understand what anet is doing and that other people enjoy this but I find no challenge in all these jumping areas. The paths are more time consuming than hard to find.

Yes, every time I am there for some achievement/daily and see people I wonder how many of them are there for the same reason. From map chat, it seems to be a pretty high percentage.

For example, until recently I did not even realize there were djin mastery points there.

@Mokk.2397 said:Having trouble doing any of the events because of the constant lightning strikes.I can understand making the game challenging but this is nuts.I have no problems with most of the enemies but that lightning is stupid.you can't even dodge it. At some point you need to fight outside of the safe zones and you can't do that in flight or on a skimmer mount or griffon.What's the point of having events in these areas if you can't do them .There has to be a happy medium making things challenging without going completely silly.These areas become devoid of any people because they become so frustrating to do. Wouldn't it be better to have something like Thaw Elixir in bitter frost that allows a degree of immunity?Or have I missed something.

Responding to the part I put in bold, that's actually not true, you don't have to fight outside of the safe zones...you can draw most enemies into the safe zones and fight them there, if the don't follow, ignore them.

@Mewcifer.5198 said:If you aren't in combat with any mobs the lightning will be spaced out just enough to get out of combat and mount up again. The problem comes when you are fighting something because then it's extra damage you have to try and heal through. Makes the area tough, but not impossible, to do things in.

Did they nerfed the Brandstorm? I remenber that they could also apply burn per each hit, and sometimes you werent able to get out of combat, so if there wasnt any cover around, you were pretty much dead allready, since Brandstorm skip downed state.

Archived