How is it fair I get 5 acolades in a match and lose and literally get nothing for it?

Einsof.1457

• ArenaNet Staff

We reward top stats by giving extra pips. We have no plans to reward top stats by giving skill rating bonuses or anything like that. If we do that, people will stop focus on doing the things required to win and just chase top stats, even if it hurts your team's chances of winning overall.

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:We reward top stats by giving extra pips. We have no plans to reward top stats by giving skill rating bonuses or anything like that. If we do that, people will stop focus on doing the things required to win and just chase top stats, even if it hurts your team's chances of winning overall.

Thanks for the response. Would a few more pips per top stat be maybe on the table?

@Patrick.2987 said:

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:We reward top stats by giving extra pips. We have no plans to reward top stats by giving skill rating bonuses or anything like that. If we do that, people will stop focus on doing the things required to win and just chase top stats, even if it hurts your team's chances of winning overall.

Probably what OP did.

No, I was just trying to win...it just so happens I am in some weird sort of MMR hell where I get top stats without trying more often than I expect I suppose.

@Patrick.2987 said:

Probably what OP did.

I mean, if you got all five top stats it means you probably did something right at least. I get that having say top kills wont mean you carry but it doesnt mean you did poorly and spent the whole match preying for kills without focusing on the objectives.

Yes, it is VERY frustrating to get all top stats and lose the match. I understand OP'S feelings that is why i think we should rework the top stats into something that can actually be used to reflect rating gains once a match is over.

@Patrick.2987 said:

Probably what OP did.

Probably not. The only time I ever get more than 3 top stats while being on the losing team is if my teammates all went afk because they think the opposing team is just better and stopped trying altogether like losers who shouldn't even play pvp.

@LazySummer.2568 said:

Probably what OP did.

Probably not. The only time I ever get more than 3 top stats while being on the losing team is if my teammates all went afk because they think the opposing team is just better and stopped trying altogether like losers who shouldn't even play pvp.

I typically end up with 3-5 top stats in losing games, especially if the team sucks. I agree with Ben though, if the game rewards top stats players will ingnore objectives and chase stats. I wish there is a way to reward individual performance.

Why not changing top stats to count the things required to win instead?

100% agree. What about a new game mode tho?Deathmatch shouldn't be hard for example... Just remove the pointsCapture the Flag - probably more work to do here since mesmer portals/thief shortbow would be ridiculousKing of the Hill - only mid point maybe?

@MithranArkanere.8957 said:

Because lot of things required to win are not quantifiable. Like you wanna give topstats for running around the map for roaming builds? There is a lot of actions for roles you just cannot scale that way. Doing something to make pvp more attractive to more ppl again, in particular also make good players come back and give ppl reasons to improve their skill and to care would help vs these matchmaking problems much more than anything else. But Anet seems to give up on PvP and also WvW, barely new content, rewarding loses so ppl can afk farm, not enough balance patches etc. Its sad to see the competitive parts of this game dying so hard in particular because GW2 has so much potential for it. But when Anet doesn't care they don't care, so things just getting worse with every player stop playing PvP.

People chase the top stats anyways. Besides that, there is no benefit to it for unranked players. The top stats should encourage players to play different roles anyways shouldn't they? Ie DPS, tanks, decappers, bunkers, healers, ect. Instead we end up with 2 zerk meta FBs and 2 scourges almost every match and usually either a mirage or a holosmith.

@bravan.3876 said:

Because lot of things required to win are not quantifiable. Like you wanna give topstats for running around the map for roaming builds? There is a lot of actions for roles you just cannot scale that way. Doing something to make pvp more attractive to more ppl again, in particular also make good players come back and give ppl reasons to improve their skill and to care would help vs these matchmaking problems much more than anything else. But Anet seems to give up on PvP and also WvW, barely new content, rewarding loses so ppl can afk farm, not enough balance patches etc. Its sad to see the competitive parts of this game dying so hard in particular because GW2 has so much potential for it. But when Anet doesn't care they don't care, so things just getting worse with every player stop playing PvP.

That doesn't mean there it can't be done to any degree. One thing is having such a system fully determining rating adjustments, and another is having it affect adjustments to a small degree. Putting a finger on the scales.The more actions that count towards victory the system can detet, and better the system can determine those actions, the more weight it can have in rating adjustments. It's the kid of thing that improves over time through iterations.

@sephiroth.4217 said:

@"Einsof.1457" said:It's really starting to bother me. If I am kicking butt why am I punished if the 4 others cant pull their weight? How is that okay? What is the justification?

its a team game.you win as a team or lose as a team and get rated as a team.

Problem is that unless it's changed and I missed the change, this isn't actually the case.

The rating you gain or lose is based on your rating versus the average rating of the enemy team. So if you're the top player on your team by rating, you typically stand to lose a lot of rating if you lose and to gain very little if you win. You might win or lose as a team, but your rating gain or loss does not take into account whether you're the best of a bad lot and the comparison of average MMR of each team would indicate that a loss is expected.

Which has the effect that the games that are actually the hardest for you are often the ones where you stand to gain the least and lose the most. If you're the top player in your team, you generally have to be playing at your best to win: if you fall short in your personal performance, nobody else is going to pick up the slack. Which makes games where you get a lot of top stats and lose doubly frustrating: because this usually indicates that this was what had happened.

Conversely, the games that are often the easiest - when you're the lowest MMR player in the team and the rest of the team is essentially carrying you, so it likely doesn't matter if you're not playing your best as long as you're making a decent effort - are often the ones where you stand to profit the most and lose the least (although you might miss out on the Top Stat pip. Reward-wise, I'd take a win without a top stat over a loss with all of them any day of the week.)

"Win as a team or lose as a team and get rated as a team" is how it should be.

The problem is that you win or lose as a team, and then get rated as an individual.

Which can make rating progress even more of a crapshoot than it already is. If you have a lot of games where you're expected to carry but the enemy team as a whole is better than yours, you could end up in a deep hole. On the other hand, if you have a lot of game that are the reverse, you could end up in a much higher bracket than you should be.

@"Ben Phongluangtham.1065" said:We reward top stats by giving extra pips. We have no plans to reward top stats by giving skill rating bonuses or anything like that. If we do that, people will stop focus on doing the things required to win and just chase top stats, even if it hurts your team's chances of winning overall.

Hi Ben,

What about something like this:

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/53443/new-scoreboard

I believe that this system would make the scoreboard meaningful and indicative of player skill. It would also encourage healthy gameplay, discourage and punish griefing, and act as an accurate way to provide skill rating bonuses/cushions. Furthermore, this would be an interesting (yet effective) way to measure the difference in how much impact a platinum player has in a match compared to those in lower divisions.

@draxynnic.3719 said:

@"Einsof.1457" said:It's really starting to bother me. If I am kicking butt why am I punished if the 4 others cant pull their weight? How is that okay? What is the justification?

its a team game.you win as a team or lose as a team and get rated as a team.

Problem is that unless it's changed and I missed the change,
this isn't actually the case.

The rating you gain or lose is based on your rating versus the average rating of the enemy team. So if you're the top player on your team by rating, you typically stand to lose a lot of rating if you lose and to gain very little if you win. You might win or lose as a team, but your rating gain or loss does not take into account whether you're the best of a bad lot and the comparison of average MMR of each team would indicate that a loss is expected.

Which has the effect that the games that are actually the hardest for you are often the ones where you stand to gain the least and lose the most. If you're the top player in your team, you generally have to be playing at your best to win: if you fall short in your personal performance, nobody else is going to pick up the slack. Which makes games where you get a lot of top stats and lose doubly frustrating: because this usually indicates that this was what had happened.

Conversely, the games that are often the easiest - when you're the lowest MMR player in the team and the rest of the team is essentially carrying you, so it likely doesn't matter if you're not playing your best as long as you're making a decent effort - are often the ones where you stand to profit the most and lose the least (although you might miss out on the Top Stat pip. Reward-wise, I'd take a win without a top stat over a loss with all of them any day of the week.)

"Win as a team or lose as a team and get rated as a team" is how it should be.

The problem is that you win or lose as a team, and then get rated
as an individual.

Which can make rating progress even more of a crapshoot than it already is. If you have a lot of games where you're expected to carry but the enemy team as a whole is better than yours, you could end up in a deep hole. On the other hand, if you have a lot of game that are the reverse, you could end up in a much higher bracket than you should be.

My comment was a generalisation... as in rated as a team like if you lose the match you all lose rating but you pretty much went into fine point of why its such a bad format.

@"Ben Phongluangtham.1065" said:We reward top stats by giving extra pips. We have no plans to reward top stats by giving skill rating bonuses or anything like that. If we do that, people will stop focus on doing the things required to win and just chase top stats, even if it hurts your team's chances of winning overall.

Good, but pve farmers will keep focusing in these craps instead of "conquest" itself.You guys should remove all pve farm incentives from spvp.

Archived