Kung Fu Tea Promotion [Merged]

Gaile Gray.6029

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Hmm...when I first read Gaile's statement, I thought it came from ArenaNet; but, then I went to KFT's blog, and the exact same statement. Copy/paste. A bit confusing. I was hoping for a statement from ArenaNet here.I've yet to get the darn thing to work. Sigh.

It's probably a joint statement from both companies. At the very least I assume Anet wouldn't have posted it if they didn't agree with it.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Hmm...when I first read Gaile's statement, I thought it came from ArenaNet; but, then I went to KFT's blog, and the exact same statement. Copy/paste. A bit confusing. I was hoping for a statement from ArenaNet here.I've yet to get the darn thing to work. Sigh.

That explains it then. KFT's style is to leave more questions than answers (like being vague if giving them your social media stuff but never getting the message counts or not) whereas anet actually tries to reduce questions.

@Danikat.8537 said:

It's probably a joint statement from both companies. At the very least I assume Anet wouldn't have posted it if they didn't agree with it.

I'm sure it's a joint statement. At least, I would hope so, otherwise ArenaNet would be letting another company speak for them.I was hoping for ArenaNet's own statement for their playerbase. I kind of would expected ArenaNet to tell us, officially, some time ago, the codes had been deactivated a week ago. Surely that information was in ArenaNet's purview. Not something we would have had to ask KFT, nor something KFT demanded take place.

@"Gaile Gray.6029" said:Thank you for your continued patience and feedback as we work through issues around the Kung Fu Tea Guild Wars 2 promotion. Both Kung Fu Tea and ArenaNet are continuing to troubleshoot the technical difficulties that affected the roll-out of Guild Wars 2 serial codes. Because of the issues, on Friday, September 7 any distributed serial code that had not yet been redeemed was deactivated. We’re working to make sure all eligible participants who were not able to redeem their serial code reward will be able to reclaim a new set of serial codes after the campaign resumes.

For additional information as it becomes available, please visit the Kung Fu Tea blog. We all appreciate your continued patience as we work to ensure a positive experience for everyone.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@"Danikat.8537" said:If it wasn't such a mess this promotion would be fantastic.

I snipped this, because this just has me baffled. You'd think all involved would have an interest to solve this whole mess as fast as possible,It's entirely possible they are trying to solve this as quickly as they can.It should be obvious by now that they were entirely unprepared for all the things that seem obvious to us, not just in retrospect, also in things we talked about here (and on reddit) even before we knew the details. The US vs not US, the giving away a free app, the potential interest, the clarity of rules.

If they were unprepared for (what seems) the obvious, then I can't think of how they could possibly be ready to deal with the fall out of things going wrong.

Think of a 6 year old watching mom make lemonade from a mix and then thinking, "hey, let's make a tubful of lemonade." They turn on the water to fill the tub, then go to the kitchen to get on the chair to get box of mix from the shelf, and it's too heavy, so it drops on the floor. Meantime, the water in the tub is overflowing while they try to find towels and brooms to get rid of the spilled mix. Only, they tried to use water from the sink to help, and now it's all a sticky blob that they can't get traction on.

As Danikat says, the idea is great. It just doesn't seem to have been thought through.

with as much needed catering to customers to smooth things out.That's how I would do it if I were in charge. I'm guessing that they haven't figured out who or what they might do yet.

Instead they quite obviously try to bury it.

Or, as I suggested above, they are simply at a loss as to what they even might do.

Strange to think that they weren't prepared for issues and fallout from this.. considering they appear to have been having issues with the same app and their promotions/rewards scheme dating back to last year reading some of the app feedback.If they are still not prepared for issues with it, then I think its beyond saving and I don't just mean with the GW2 promo.I think though the main issue that GW2 players have is the lack of any real support from either side in this promotion thus far but especially from KFT, which makes this whole thing look bad in my eyes. I mean changing terms to exclude a large chunk of the playerbase without warning or explanation is just terabad and as I have said just leaves a bad taste.. where is Anet's explanation for that, I mean forget about getting that from KFT considering how they attempted to change the promo wording under the radar.. I wonder if that is even legalThere are big holes all through this promo, not just a broken app and the silent actions only serve to make it worse. Even if KFT get the app fixed I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, especially having read the claims of players SM accounts getting hacked as icing on their .. tea.

@TechWiz.4573 said:I tried again today to get the codes and it worked in the KFT app. The message is backdated to Sept 1st though, could be when I first tried. However I couldn't redeem the codes in game or on the GW2 website. I am in the EU.

From Gaile's Post, just a few up from yours.

Because of the issues, on Friday, September 7 any distributed serial code that had not yet been redeemed was deactivated. We’re working to make sure all eligible participants who were not able to redeem their serial code reward will be able to reclaim a new set of serial codes after the campaign resumes.

And now that KFT has changed their TaC to USA-only for the app promo as well as the sweepstakes, you're out of luck.

@NicholaLord.2630 said:

Great this is some positive news, but please can you elaborate in regards to European residents that participated before the rules where changed ie the first 4 days of the promotion.Are European residents who entered within the first 4 days, going to receive codes?

• But also what about all the people that tired for 4 days, and could not connect due to the faulty app?
  • Some people connected via social, but could not see the promo options - does that count?
  • Some people connected with Instagram, but then that social option was removed - does that count?

@"Linken.6345" said:

Well since its changed to usa only this from the post "eligible participants" make it sound like we wont be getting anything.But then again when you read further it ends with "as we work to ensure a positive experience for everyone" could mean they are looking in to ways for eu players to get it too.It would be in anets best interest to make their whole playerbase happy.

@josebaabasolo.5680 said:Can we get an answer to what us EU plebs will get?

Please remember that it's not just EU players the ones that were excluded when all this sudden restriction happened, it was everyone all over the world... the US residents were the only exception, and they're not all America either, just a part of North America :/

As a Canadian player I am disappointed, I downloaded the app gave it permissions and then was waiting for the hubbub to die down because people were saying it was hard to get the app to give out a code.

Now the terms of service have changed making me ineligible for this reward :( and despite trying to engage with a partner for ANet, I feel like my privacy is compromised and any future help is for USA residents only.

Still like the game but this is a sad thing. Fortunately I still have lots of other things that are good in life right. Part of me wishes that this could go away with a here everyone we goofed you all get a prize package (Oprah style)

@KaryuZeir.9346 said:

Great this is some positive news, but please can you elaborate in regards to European residents that participated before the rules where changed ie the first 4 days of the promotion.Are European residents who entered within the first 4 days, going to receive codes?
  • But also what about all the people that tired for 4 days, and could not connect due to the faulty app?
  • Some people connected via social, but could not see the promo options - does that count?
  • Some people connected with Instagram, but then that social option was removed - does that count?

@"Linken.6345" said:

Well since its changed to usa only this from the post "eligible participants" make it sound like we wont be getting anything.But then again when you read further it ends with "as we work to ensure a positive experience for everyone" could mean they are looking in to ways for eu players to get it too.It would be in anets best interest to make their whole playerbase happy.

@"josebaabasolo.5680" said:Can we get an answer to what us EU plebs will get?

Please remember that it's not just EU players the ones that were excluded when all this sudden restriction happened, it was everyone all over the world... the US residents were the only exception, and they're not all America either, just a part of North America :/

Well since we are eu we talk about eu mainly but I would have thought you would feel included in the "whole playerbase happy."I even specificaly said that it was only usa playersNext time I will be sure to include canadian, south american, asian, austrailian,mexican, african and middle eastern aswell I promise.

The people trying to play the "oh no my privacy" card need to sit the heck down and say what they really mean - "I feel that it is unfair that someone else is getting something that I am not." Which is a valid point to make in this particular case, but please stop playing the stupid "Datamine, privacy, my precious information!" cards, you were gleefully willing to give out all that information in the first place...it is very cringy.

@"Turk.5460" said:The people trying to play the "oh no my privacy" card need to sit the heck down and say what they really mean - "I feel that it is unfair that someone else is getting something that I am not." Which is a valid point to make in this particular case, but please stop playing the stupid "Datamine, privacy, my precious information!" cards, you were gleefully willing to give out all that information in the first place...it is very cringy.Giving something in return for something is fine. Giving something and not getting what you were promised in return for it is several shades beyond just plain shady. Who in his right mind would trust a company exhibiting such behaviour?

@"Turk.5460" said:The people trying to play the "oh no my privacy" card need to sit the heck down and say what they really mean - "I feel that it is unfair that someone else is getting something that I am not." Which is a valid point to make in this particular case, but please stop playing the stupid "Datamine, privacy, my precious information!" cards, you were gleefully willing to give out all that information in the first place...it is very cringy.

Yea giving it away in return for something when that turns to nothing people feel cheated and the should feel that way.

@"Gaile Gray.6029" said:Thank you for your continued patience and feedback as we work through issues around the Kung Fu Tea Guild Wars 2 promotion. Both Kung Fu Tea and ArenaNet are continuing to troubleshoot the technical difficulties that affected the roll-out of Guild Wars 2 serial codes. Because of the issues, on Friday, September 7 any distributed serial code that had not yet been redeemed was deactivated. We’re working to make sure all eligible participants who were not able to redeem their serial code reward will be able to reclaim a new set of serial codes after the campaign resumes.

For additional information as it becomes available, please visit the Kung Fu Tea blog. We all appreciate your continued patience as we work to ensure a positive experience for everyone.

Ok. This explain why all the codes i try to offer to my guildies don't work.That's not a good news for me or for them.Now, i just want to delete all the codes i still got.Why did you disable codes people had ? I know it's a stupid question. I can easily imagine why you decided this. But what I mean is that some people did nothing wrong. Only the app' did. It gave me more codes than i wanted and then i was making gifts with these codes.Really sad i think.

And i suppose that "eligible participants" means "US only" now. Final statement.

Now. I'll have to do some things.Close and erase that doomed app'. End of the story, means end of the story. Don't need to keep it "just in case". Block KFT on social networks. Ask KFT to erase all informations they got from me and legaly ask them to not sell my informations, (european laws etc...)

And then, never ever try or even think about claiming a free gift from one of your partner.

I feel bad because my guildies really waited for my codes. Earlier this evening, i told them to be patient. I was wondering about something like this. I told them maybe codes are not broken, just blocked. But i didn't wanted to believe this idea could be true. And yes it is !

Just sad... ... ...At least we got a word from you. Thanks for that. Thanks for the codes we've been able to use too. Sad for the last ones i have.:-(

@"Turk.5460" said:The people trying to play the "oh no my privacy" card need to sit the heck down and say what they really mean - "I feel that it is unfair that someone else is getting something that I am not." Which is a valid point to make in this particular case, but please stop playing the stupid "Datamine, privacy, my precious information!" cards, you were gleefully willing to give out all that information in the first place...it is very cringy.

I'm not sure if I'm one of the people this is directed at, but I'm going to answer anyway. It was only after I gave them my data that it became clear how utterly incompetent they are. If they can't organise something as simple as this promotion and keep it safe from "hackers" why would I think their other systems are any better? If they're willing to change the terms and conditions mid-way through why would I trust them not to change their minds on other things, like selling my data on to anyone who would buy it? Plus reports started to come out of strange login attempts to people's social media accounts after signing up to this promotion.

In other words the situation changed. When I signed up I was happy to give them access to the minimal information on my Facebook account. Once I realised there were other issues I hadn't considered I was not longer happy for them to keep it. So I asked them to delete it, which is my legal right for exactly this kind of reason - giving someone your data once shouldn't be a decision you can never take back.

(And that's in spite of the fact that I'm one of the few who did get the codes. If the promotion had gone as planned I would still have unlinked my Facebook account and deleted the app because it's useless to me, but I may not have worried about the data they already had. Now I'm just hoping they delete it before it gets 'lost' or taken by someone else.)

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:We all appreciate your continued patience as we work to ensure a positive experience for everyone.

Don't mistake helplessness for patience. It may look much the same from your side, but it feels very different on this side. Some people are being calm because there's simply nothing useful they can do, not because they have any faith that this will get fixed.

@Gaile Gray.6029will players from EU able to recieve a code?I am playing since BWEs and was at Gamescom Cologne 2012 (or was it 11?). I got a nice black physical T-shirt (the first one is black, the second was white) and a digital Dragon Emblem Cap in-game. I missed out of the digital shirt and was hoping to recieve a code and did link my Facebook to the Kung-Fu App, but the reward page didn't show anything.I follow ArenaNet since 2005 Prophecies and am a big fan.

This has been a very bad experience, and nothing you can really do can make it a positive one. My IG was immediately hacked (signed up through the kung fu tea app) and many others experienced their FB and IG accounts compromised.

I don't want Anet to not do these type of things, but to do it with whom you did it with, a no-name tea company with a sheer lack of infrastructure/security... was a bad idea.

@"Gaile Gray.6029" said:For additional information as it becomes available, please visit the Kung Fu Tea blog. We all appreciate your continued patience as we work to ensure a positive experience for everyone.

Sorry for my crappy English since I'm not living in the State, is that "everyone" means every players who provided their social info to Kung Fu Tea since the beginning of the promotion but gets nothing , or just means "everyone" who had been chosen after clarifying the promotion is for United States only?

I'm really looking forward to the positive experience for everyone, since some non-US players who got the code and claimed the rewards, but some has nothing.

Archived