Official Feedback Thread: LWS4 Episode 4: A Star to Guide Us

Gaile Gray.6029

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great episode. It does however highlight an enormous gulf in consistency and quality between teams. Ep3 wasn't close in terms of quality to this.

Great and beautiful map. Could have a used a bit more storytelling events, but the Legendary Djinn one was exceptional.

Suns refuge seems a fun time investment. Unlike the pointless and over complicated turret one last episode.

Achievement rewards need urgent attention. It can't carry on like this, it needs a rethink for balance and consistency which way off right now.

Loved the raptor skin

Mastery was OK. Really are just putting them just for the sake of it now though. The mastery system seems to lose its way between expansions. Perhaps using the Djinn event story as inspiration to protect against the Brandstorm would have been better.

All the instances were generally very good. Deadeye had far too much hp. The los mechanic worked well, but the flow disrupted by an overly long and tedious tank and spank fight every 3rd health. The raptor jumping at the end was horrible. Potential for an epic instance was lost here and due to even a short hesitation causing the weird purple blob to insta kill you easily, it hurt the flow of emotion going on.

Well, I havent started the story, just plotted the perimeters of the new map and began exploring mid.

I just wanted to say I had so much fun in the ??? area, sure, it was a little cheesy, but it's a fun little get away and I was giggling like a schoolgirl, thank you for that.

So far, in my experience (which is minimal) the map seems to have taken little bits from S1 through Hot and merged them with a great POF map, so in my opinion, it's very well done and I think one of the best maps so far.

I can't say I care for the race, but I only tried once and didn't finish, so maybe more practice as right now it seems weird and unclear on where to go or how to accomplish getting to where you want to go.

Thank you for limited branded fury areas, adding a lot of VM and another pretty cool flax farm :).

One minor issue .. Koss on Koss volume 2. Uh.. do your writers know what date it's supposed to be in Tyria? Because Nightfall in GW1 took place in 1075, or 1275 by Elonian Dynastic Reckoning.. but Koss on Koss volume 2 has him being freed from his cave in 1094.. but we're now in 1331. So I think your writer flubbed.

@Fat Disgrace.4275 said:bug on the storm tracking, keeps saying im out of instance and die

I got his bug as well. The only way I could get past it was to hug the boundary on the right (stay away from the green arrow). The next part I am not able to complete at all. I have always been ok with the difficulty of FIGHTS in story instances but this is crazy. I don't even know where I am supposed to go. Even using the new mastery doesn't help me. Maybe I have a persistent bug. If I wanted this I would play Nier Automata. Please tell me if I am missing something.

Wow, I have to say the teaser for this episode did not do the actual story any justice. This map/story/gameplay was so engaging and entertaining I was blown away. It totally surpassed Ep3.

! I dunno if the "Sniper" Portion was a nod to Metal Gear's Sniper Wolf but that was freaking amazing. Man, I wish my Deadeye has that range lol.

The story for this episode was absolutely incredible. The quality of the story instances felt on par with PoF (in my opinion) and I love that. There's also just so much new content on the map that I almost feel overwhelmed, but in a good way. I will say, though, that the first raptor jumping section in the second to last instance is annoying to do on my potato computer. Not saying that it should be changed per se, but I just want to say that my experience with that part was that I had to do it over and over again because I kept overcompensating the jumps because of the swiftness.

Probably Anet's best work so far in GW2, even trumping most of PoF itself for me.

The pacing of the episode was just right, exploration of the map felt natural with the story, little to no busy work that felt like pure filler to pad out the play time.Story was actually packed with story content.Although I'm very much so tired of the Desert, this Map was a joy to explore, it's beautiful and induced a real feeling of wonder and exploration. Lot's of variation.The GW1 throwbacks and lore drops were fantastically done. Not to on the nose, but also not to obscure. Things like finding that Tomb Marker of Joko from GW1 genuinely made me smile.More cutscenes and dialoge than usual, while not being tedious and poorly written, making you stand around and beg for it to be over so you can move on. Things were actually interesting, and most often delivered while on the move or in cutscene form.New mechanical interactions were well done and fun, like the fight with the spider not only saving you from the tedium of running from place to place, but also just being a fun moment. Lot's of unique moments, like the sniper level, even though that was a tad tedious, it was still interesting due to it's uniqueness.Little moments like activating the sword having that extra touch with particle effects and animations, being allowed to be a little moment to enjoy, made the experience so much richer.

I mean, I can really just praise this episode.Having waited half a day to play it on purpose until the server load was much smaller, I had no technical issues with the release at all as well.

Bravo Anet.If I still get Elite Specs, new features, new Fractals and Raids and major balance patches/reworks, I could actually be happy without expansions with this quality of Living Story (and would make me somewhat forgive the Mount skin gambling and focus on cash shop/BLC skins, if it pays for this).Although, quite frankly, seeing this quality Living World Episode, makes me that much more excited for how another expansion could look like.

Overall I'm happy with that new episode, as a comparison, will consider with the another episode I like.Story: S4e2 and S4e4 = 7/10 better than e3 (I hate that deadeye part, zaphira is horrible, killing you every 2 sec even if you are behind a wall, finished it in underwear)Map: S4e2 = 9/10, S4e3 = 7/10 interesting BUT WHAT'S that big unexplored hole at the north seriously?!! Worst than kourna!Metas: S4e2 and S4e4 = 8/10Easters eggs: S4e2 and S4e4 = 7/10Mob density: S4e2 and S4e4 = 9/10

Special note: Sun's refuge, seems sunspear centered and don't have many npcs... The only thing I like is the jukebox golem. Not housing at all confirmed. Also I hate so much that deadeye thing: anoying bomb foes + toxic gaz + invincible deadeye killing you in air even if teleporting with jackal? Not a deal 3/10 (6/10 for e2 because of 2 metas in same map)

Mention: Fungi room, very cool idea, I "met" someone I like a lot 10/10 (same for e2 with magneton lab)

I was ready to shout and become angry but will give a pass, that episode is 10x better than the previous one.So total of 7/10 for that episode, gratz.

@Fat Disgrace.4275 said:

@Fat Disgrace.4275 said:bug on the storm tracking, keeps saying im out of instance and die

Yeah just keep trying, eventually it will let you through lol.They had to have known just how bad the escape portion of this instance was when the episode was finalized for release. Fairly disappointing considering the "emotional" aspect of that part of the instance being marred by this garbage.

managed to do it, had to go far left at the start and i got past that first tunnel

This was the only thing that worked.

@Fenom.9457 said:Please tell me that the giant rock formation smack in the middle of Jahai is explorable and im just an idiot. It would be horrendous if they left a giant piece of unexplored map

Yeah unexplorable, tried to enter by breaking some Rbeetle walls but lead to nothing... That area isn't created, tried to pass through the roof with my gryphon: invisible walls. I suspect it's the same as kourna.. The map ISN'T finished... hmpf

The map is cool. It have some interesting abnormalities, like the psycodelic mushrooms.The story is slightly disapointing (so far, haven't finished). It feel blown out of proportion. We killed zaitan with the help of the whole pact, then mondremoth (suppousely more powerful), with a small group, then the God of War, alone... I don't have high hopes for this episode. I might be surprise, but I don't think so.The sniper part of the story is terribly annoying. It sucked out the fun of the evening

@hugo.4705 said:

@Fenom.9457 said:Please tell me that the giant rock formation smack in the middle of Jahai is explorable and im just an idiot. It would be horrendous if they left a giant piece of unexplored map

Yeah unexplorable, tried to enter by breaking some Rbeetle walls but lead to nothing... That area isn't created, tried to pass through the roof with my gryphon: invisible walls. I suspect it's the same as kourna.. The map ISN'T finished... hmpf

Man it’d be near perfect if not for that rock. So many epic things in the map, but every time I open the big world map it’s depressing

First of all, I rarely post on the forums, but playing the game pretty much daily (sPvP for the most part) and for this episode I really felt like leaving a comment:

Congratulation to whoever was doing this one. From a purely gameplay point of view, this was easily the best LS-episode in a long time: The story-missions are straight-forward and intuitive in the way that it becomes clear right away what to do. No more half-baked puzzles and weird gimmicks that you cannot possibly figure out without smoking the same weird substances the dev did. Well-rounded boss-fights with clear telegraphs, playing on the strengths of the games combat (dodging, blocking, positioning) rather than pulling some lame special action key gimmicks, near-infinite health-bars, overuse of invul-phases/scripting and what not. Spider, riftcrawler, deadeye, more of these kind of fights please (and the achievements coming along with it were just about right)!

While I didn't get to fully explore/play the open-world/map yet, what I saw while completing the story looked fine. It looked easy enough to navigate, makes good use of different masteries/mounts and incorporating different "areas" of previous maps into this one really added a special kind of flair.

(... the story narrative itself was overly like a soap opera and cheesy as hell, but one can easily overlook this if the gameplay is right and that it was)

@"WhatLiesBeneath.9018" said:Very disappointed with the announcement Sun’s Refuge is abandoned content.

You hyped it so much, you talked about it like this was going to be a new piece of content to be updated, but no, WHY?!

What are you talking about? The entire story and the system behind it indicate that it continues

Edit: Saw the stuff on reddit. It says "large scale", large scale doesn't mean abandoned. Simple as that. Pretty sure that means we don't see any new functionality, but collections or NPCs aren't off limits

@Fenom.9457 said:

Man it’d be near perfect if not for that rock. So many epic things in the map, but every time I open the big world map it’s depressing

Agreed, but it just look like a scar in the map I hate that, no problem hum the map is awesome but that hole... I urge Anet to add an Rata-novan anomaly there, would make sense since we have maguma and orr ones....

PLEASE adjust the Requiem heavy female leggings. They are incredibly wide and make the lower body look a lot wider than the upper body. The armor is otherwise brilliant but I'm really afraid that this will make it impossible for me to wear it.

Another thing that bugs me are harvesting nodes where the drop is not 100%. It annoys me greatly to go around searching for A MISTONIUM NODE and get only dragonite ore from it. Put a dragonite node somewhere if you want to give it, but a mistonium node should give mistonium 100%. Make them appear less or something, but a node should always give the rare ingredient. (bitterfrost had it right)

Archived