Episode 4: thread for spoilers and comments.

ugrakarma.9416

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some other bits and pieces:

*We learn from Nenah that the Sanctum is not only back to normal operation, but is now harbouring refugees from other parts of the Mists. Apparently the demon invasion was something of a one-off.

*A lot of the rift activity- especially the three spots we investigate early on- seems not to be a deliberate action by Kralkatorrik, but rather a result of reality already beginning to rip itself apart as a result of his actions. By itself, this is a great touch; it makes the previously nebulous metaphysical risks of ED imbalance concrete, and done right, this could put a level of urgency behind the plot that we haven't had since Nightfall, but... in the past, ANet hasn't been great at selling this sort of thing as being larger than localized phenomena. Hopefully they're willing to commit on this one.

*They backtracked on the idea that there could be multiple Shatterers, but I'm not too concerned about that. I'm more curious how Kralkatorrik could 'death-brand' a servant that had exploded into a hundred pieces.

*The new extreme they hit with Braham had me gnashing my teeth just as bad as Crack in the Ice. A bit of humility is well and good, but it isn't nearly as meaningful when the plot and writing conspire to beat it out of him with the heaviest of hands.

*It was probably too much to hope, but I was a bit let down to see that Glint's army was just more Primeval spirits, not Forgotten. I noticed they didn't actually have a model for her, either; if I'm not mistaken, they used the same look as one of the egg skills in HoT.

*On the other hand, that was our first look at what a Branded army might actually look like on the march, and I was into it. All those wyverns had me paranoid and stealing glimpses at the sky every thirty seconds, but they also reminded me quite favourably of the original Orr maps.

*Overall, I am... concerned about the direction they're taking with spirits as a whole. Despite Eir's protests that there really is a meaningful difference, this episode largely treats them as just people who happen to live in the Mists. (Ditto for the Awakened becoming just people who happen to not be conventionally pretty.) It's one of those really fine lines to walk that runs the risk of devaluing death, and it's not one I feel they're taking any particular care with.

*No sign of the original Order of Whispers, either.

All of those different nitpicks aside, though, this really has been the best episode of S4. I don't think we've ever seen a LW episode tackle this many disparate threads before, and they did a great job of weaving them together in a way that didn't feel like sprinting through a checklist. Sun's Refuge seems to have a lot of potential for continuing that trend, too: if they wanted, it'd let them push forward the Elona plot during episodes that focus on other parts of the world, or even between episodes, solving the dilemma of leaving unresolved plots vs. trapping the story in a shrinking portion of the map. With Kralkatorrik in the Mists, able to pop up anywhere he likes without dragging the Brand along behind him, anywhere could be a possible setting for the next few episodes now, and with our allies slowly rallying around us again, it feels like they're committed to doing that confrontation justice. If this is what they needed to clear the board of Joko to do, I'm beginning to see how it might have been a worthwhile trade.

Seems like, there's gods (or fallen gods or whatever you want to call them), and then there's the Six, but they're all sort of the same family of being. So, a god could replace a member of the Six just by defeating them and seizing their power, whereas a mortal could not, without aid of divine magic (like Kormir).

Sort of analogous to Elder Dragons and their Champions. Or, I guess, mortal nobles and positions of power.

Anyway, even if Balthazar wasn't a full-on divinity, he still had some of that Mistwalker juice in his essence.

Did they ever say that Kralk got the rift thing from Balthazar? If so, I missed it, because I was left thinking that it was just him finally stretching his new wings enough to start breaking reality down, something the game's been warning us about for more than a year now. What he's doing looks a lot less like the portals we've seen associated with the gods, and a lot more like the jagged tears we've seen associated with Blimm's mistake last episode and the various Current Events that deal with broken space and time.

@Aaron Ansari.1604 said:Did they ever say that Kralk got the rift thing from Balthazar? If so, I missed it, because I was left thinking that it was just him finally stretching his new wings enough to start breaking reality down, something the game's been warning us about for more than a year now. What he's doing looks a lot less like the portals we've seen associated with the gods, and a lot more like the jagged tears we've seen associated with Blimm's mistake last episode and the various Current Events that deal with broken space and time.

Huh, that would be interesting. I don't think they ever really said one way or the other. I see your point though -- they're more like the unstable rifts in appearance, but apparently controlled.

Given that I was right about Gandara and Jahai being episodes 3 and 4, I am going to assume this is where the last two maps of the LWS4 are going to be.

There are even conveniently placed brand crystal walls in both Jahai Bluffs and the Suns Refuge that match up with where the old GW1 portals to Sunward Marches were, which would allow them to connect the maps like they did with Jahai Bluffs and Domain of Kourna.

Though I will admit its possible the Sunward Marches might be the lower part of map 5, while the upper part is in the previously unexplored area between the Desolation and Sunward Marches. I just think it would be very odd that they would bring Koss out of his cave(ironically to put him in another cave in the Suns Refuge) and then not have some small character moment where he goes to and has to defend Ronjok.

Narrative wise, Ep5 is obviously going to be us tracking Kralkatorrik, finding Aurene, and whatever Zafirah is going to be useful for. And then Episode 6 is OFC the big finale where we get all our Elonian pals, the Pact, and Aurene to confront Kralkatorrik once and for all.Ma5uZIK.png

I wonder about your map 6 though. If Kralk is in the mists freely roaming around eating magic, what is going to entice him to come back to Tyria? In that exact spot? I could see there being a huge rift in that spot perhaps which could mean the map could look like nearly anything given what we've witnessed in Jahai. But are we actually going to fight Kralk there? Get a map there? Or deal with him somewhere far off now that he's relocated outside of the continent.

@"cptaylor.2670" said:I wonder about your map 6 though. If Kralk is in the mists freely roaming around eating magic, what is going to entice him to come back to Tyria? In that exact spot? I could see there being a huge rift in that spot perhaps which could mean the map could look like nearly anything given what we've witnessed in Jahai. But are we actually going to fight Kralk there? Get a map there? Or deal with him somewhere far off now that he's relocated outside of the continent.Well, Koing posted earlier in this thread a dev quote saying that there is some rule(not a technical limitation mind you) about living world maps being on the parchment(in-game map). If Kralkatorik isn't there personally, then we would still go there for the living world map, and then, as part of some sort step, hop into the Mists or w/e.

He went there for some reason to begin with, while he may fly around the Mists to eat some snacks that area is still likely his nest.

@Aeon.4583 said:Like i said, maybe it's just Seperate-Cinematics. But Commander's death experience should be and must be exploited further. Scarab Plague Immunity was one side-effects, turn out to be benefit. There need to be others.

• Primeval Queens have noticed 'Death Stench' on Commander.
  • Joko were obsessed with Commander.
  • Mario Mushsroom were mocking Commander about been dead.
  • Commander seems to be one of few, who died and returned back to life into his\her own physical body.

Field for alot of ideas.I don't disagree, but being hidden in the future doesn't seem to be such a side-effect, and like others said, I hope they don't over-exploit it. After all, it was far more common before the Six Gods left their realms for new worlds after GW1.

@"Hadlefa.3716" said:I enjoyed it but I was bothered by one thing. From my understanding, the elder dragons are supposed to be genderless. I believe the PC when referring to Kralk following Aurene says "He's hunting her". Does that mean Kralk is male per the lore?

It's not that they're genderless, so much as the concept of gender as Tyrians know it doesn't apply to them. Glint calls Kralkatorrik a he repeatedly, suggesting that Kralk is male as much as dragons can be. The others we're simply left without knowledge (though Mordremoth does have a masculine voice).

@"Hadlefa.3716" said:Yeah that's true in rl most of the time, but in game the EDs have not been referred to using male pronouns as far as I remember until this episode. They were called "it".It's only the wiki that uses "it". The game often uses "he".

@perilisk.1874 said:

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:Do the members need to be "token" in the first place? But the purpose of the "main group" (first DE and now DW) does seem to be representing the people of Tyria, from one viewpoint of their 'purpose' that is.

Looks like they're now going for professional rather than racial representation. Assuming Canach is a warrior and Taimi is an engineer, then all we're missing is an elementalist now.

Then don't we now have two thieves? Caithe and Zafira.

@Aeon.4583 said:

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:Except the gods took all of Balthazar's god magic and put it in someone else before they imprisoned him. They aren't responsible for all the non-god magic he adsorbed after he was free.Rytlock Brimstone: We only handed an Elder Dragon the energy of a god. What could go wrong? ;)Unreliable narrator. ArenaNet uses it a
lot
. Sometimes to the point where it's actually detrimental to the player.

Rytlock calls Balthazar a god, but that doesn't make him one. By the viewpoint of a god being a being that is worshipped (which is largely the charr viewpoint), then Balthazar was still a god. But by what makes the members of the Six actual gods, he was a former god, not a current one.

It's the same way with how Canach and other NPCs often refer to Balthazar as a "fallen god", though former is more accurate.

@Aeon.4583 said:

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:So I always just assumed that was his personal magic skill/magic, and not his godly magic.

Balthazar was born a God, unlike Grenth who was originally a Half-God and Kormir who was born mortal. So, personal Balthazar magic sounds like pure God's magic. Eaten by Dragon in process.While Grenth is said to be the first Tyrian born god, we have no known origin for any of the gods besides Grenth and Kormir, and the knowledge that Abaddon had a predecessor and Balthazar had a father and half-brother.

Nothing says Balthazar was born a god, or even if anyone/thing can be born a god.

@Aaron Ansari.1604 said:*It was probably too much to hope, but I was a bit let down to see that Glint's army was just more Primeval spirits, not Forgotten. I noticed they didn't actually have a model for her, either; if I'm not mistaken, they used the same look as one of the egg skills in HoT.It was actually the revenant elite that they used, animated similarly to how Rytlock reappears in the beignning of HoT.

You could make out a head and wings, but that was more or less it.

@Aeon.4583 said:

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:We do not know this for a fact.

Gods, whatever fallen ones ore not, still carry so called God's Essence ( tip: Dhuum ). Which is also been eaten by Dragon. Dhuum essence were, atleast sealed. And still, it was stupid to leave Balthazar magic(or essence) in world with Dragons.

Not necessarily. One of the key characteristics known about "god's essence" is twofold. First that it cannot be destroyed, thus the need for a replacement, and second that it makes the "vessel" (for lack of a better time) blindingly bright. And neither Dhuum nor Balthazar were causing blind on our characters, while Kormir was.

@Aaron Ansari.1604 said:Did they ever say that Kralk got the rift thing from Balthazar? If so, I missed it, because I was left thinking that it was just him finally stretching his new wings enough to start breaking reality down, something the game's been warning us about for more than a year now. What he's doing looks a lot less like the portals we've seen associated with the gods, and a lot more like the jagged tears we've seen associated with Blimm's mistake last episode and the various Current Events that deal with broken space and time.

It's implied by the NPCs pretty heavily, but never stated.

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:-snip-

Like @"cptaylor.2670", I'm dubious about the need to go out Mount Kralk for the big showdown. Since he's in the Mists, the good guys could lure him to any position, or have to chase him down to any place in Tyria. There are the two exits going east in the Sun's Refuge, and one in Jahai Bluffs, which does suggest at least one more map eastward, but beyond that - for either 5 or 6 - the final map could be unpredictably anywhere.

Most likely the showdown itself will be in The Mists, in some grand instance, and not a Dragon's Stand styled map. So rather than thinking "where would we fight Kralk?" as the place for the 6th map, I think it'd be more accurate to think "what would we need to do/get immediately before facing Kralk?"

You noted that we will need to find Aurene and, arguably, track Kralkatorrik (we kind of got that done though), but one thing missing is the key to killing Kralkatorrik. The visions Aurene showed depicted all sorts of known allies and technology being combined in various manners, which means we'd need something new to fight Kralkatorrik (or Anet once more fumbles the massive build up like they did with Joko's Scarab Wheeze). I think there will be an episode dedicated to that, and I suspect that "something new" will end up being "the weapon" that Balthazar was never interested in that Vlast talked about. Which is likely why we got that out-of-place shot of Vlast in Glint's lair.

It should be noted that not only did Vlast have nothing to do with Episode 4, but that final line from the Commander to Aurene ("Are you ready?" or w/e) was never said. This may have been drops of Episode 5/6 instead, perhaps. Or just something that was put into the trailer before being scrapped.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:Like @"cptaylor.2670", I'm dubious about the need to go out Mount Kralk for the big showdown. Since he's in the Mists, the good guys could lure him to any position, or have to chase him down to any place in Tyria. There are the two exits going east in the Sun's Refuge, and one in Jahai Bluffs, which does suggest at least one more map eastward, but beyond that - for either 5 or 6 - the final map could be unpredictably anywhere.

Most likely the showdown itself will be in The Mists, in some grand instance, and not a Dragon's Stand styled map. So rather than thinking "where would we fight Kralk?" as the place for the 6th map, I think it'd be more accurate to think "what would we need to do/get immediately before facing Kralk?"

You noted that we will need to find Aurene and, arguably, track Kralkatorrik (we kind of got that done though), but one thing missing is the key to killing Kralkatorrik. The visions Aurene showed depicted all sorts of known allies and technology being combined in various manners, which means we'd need something new to fight Kralkatorrik (or Anet once more fumbles the massive build up like they did with Joko's Scarab Wheeze). I think there will be an episode dedicated to that, and I suspect that "something new" will end up being "the weapon" that Balthazar was never interested in that Vlast talked about. Which is likely why we got that out-of-place shot of Vlast in Glint's lair.

It should be noted that not only did Vlast have nothing to do with Episode 4, but that final line from the Commander to Aurene ("Are you ready?" or w/e) was never said. This may have been drops of Episode 5/6 instead, perhaps. Or just something that was put into the trailer before being scrapped.Yes, as in my reply to cptaylor.2670 I don't necessarily think the map will be where we fight Kralktorrik specifically, just that we will go there to reach the place we will fight him.

Assuming Anet doesn't ignore "the weapon" mentioned by Vlast, they could very easily have the weapon be there. Glint having hidden there to avoid people finding it. Or we go there to get some concentrated Kralktorrik essence to make a new Dragonblood Spear-like weapon to use against him. Or we might have to go there because that's the best place to open a portal to wherever Kralkatorrik is now, since he sat there for so long its easier to use the ambient Kralkatorik energy there to open a portal directly to him or w/e. There are any number of reasons why we would go there, but the main point is that Kralkatorrik, even before he started opening portals into The Mists, could fly anywhere he wanted to. But the devs chose to have him fly there for whatever reason, and it doesn't make sense to have him fly there unless they wanted the players to go there. It would be like the devs putting Zhaitan in Orr, and making it obvious hes there, only to have us beat him in Kryta or something. There would be no point to the Orr thing if they did that.

As for Vlast being in the trailer, and the Commander's line at the end, those were more to set the stage for the narrative, rather then actually be part of the narrative. I don't necessarily think either of those two things will show up in the future(not that they won't per say) but they were there to hammer in the point about Aurene, and her destiny, and all that jazz, which was a big narrative focus of this episode.

@"Sajuuk Khar.1509" said:There are any number of reasons why we would go there, but the main point is that Kralkatorrik, even before he started opening portals into The Mists, could fly anywhere he wanted to. But the devs chose to have him fly there for whatever reason, and it doesn't make sense to have him fly there unless they wanted the players to go there. It would be like the devs putting Zhaitan in Orr, and making it obvious hes there, only to have us beat him in Kryta or something. There would be no point to the Orr thing if they did that.

They needed to move him out of Vabbi, so they needed a place for him to go. He couldn't go into central/southern Kourna, because that would detract too much from Joko and they wanted to get rid of him first before focusing on Kralkatorrik (even if I think that was a poor move). Moving him out of Elona would lessen the threat levels a bit too much, so in that general area would be fitting for him to go temporarily without us needing to go there.

Besides, for ten years he sat at the northern edge of the Crystal Desert, and they stressed that he was there, yet he moved on before we went there ourselves.

So while it's possible we will go there, I wouldn't say that "ArenaNet wants us to go there".

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:You noted that we will need to find Aurene and, arguably, track Kralkatorrik (we kind of got that done though), but one thing missing is the key to killing Kralkatorrik. The visions Aurene showed depicted all sorts of known allies and technology being combined in various manners, which means we'd need something new to fight Kralkatorrik (or Anet once more fumbles the massive build up like they did with Joko's Scarab Wheeze). I think there will be an episode dedicated to that, and I suspect that "something new" will end up being "the weapon" that Balthazar was never interested in that Vlast talked about. Which is likely why we got that out-of-place shot of Vlast in Glint's lair.

What was unlikely before now seems to be more likely to happen., come into scene, the weapon that can shape the world. now that big crystal dude goes to the mists.

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Staff_of_the_Mists

@"Sajuuk Khar.1509" said:Given that I was right about Gandara and Jahai being episodes 3 and 4, I am going to assume this is where the last two maps of the LWS4 are going to be.

There are even conveniently placed brand crystal walls in both Jahai Bluffs and the Suns Refuge that match up with where the old GW1 portals to Sunward Marches were, which would allow them to connect the maps like they did with Jahai Bluffs and Domain of Kourna.

Though I will admit its possible the Sunward Marches might be the lower part of map 5, while the upper part is in the previously unexplored area between the Desolation and Sunward Marches. I just think it would be very odd that they would bring Koss out of his cave(ironically to put him in another cave in the Suns Refuge) and then not have some small character moment where he goes to and has to defend Ronjok.

Narrative wise, Ep5 is obviously going to be us tracking Kralkatorrik, finding Aurene, and whatever Zafirah is going to be useful for. And then Episode 6 is OFC the big finale where we get all our Elonian pals, the Pact, and Aurene to confront Kralkatorrik once and for all.Ma5uZIK.png

More likely E5 being the shoreline and having some water, about as far south as DoK map, some docks, some boat invasion events, more of Anet trying to improve water content. Then E6 being sunward marches and some desolation, and S5 will continue in Elona against kralkatorrik. I could easily see a whole extra season on it. Or, we could move on. Personally I think there are great options either way

I really like this episode. :) I will try to give as usefull feedback as possible.

1: I liked the beginning: it was fun to see the people of elona arguing about the death of joko and mistrusting aurene. Thanks for the aurene heart animation, those make me always so happy :3 . And Koss saving us was really nice <3 .2: The shatterer "fight" was awesome. I really like the detail that one NPC (I believe an awakened) was completely crushed. Also the animations of the shatterer were really cool. I am happy we did not fight the shatterer, bc I often do the world boss the shatterer, and killing him easily on my own would be a bit unbelievable for me.3: OMG The doctor who/strange plot with time and space shenanigans was completely crazy. I love it!Kralky felt this patch so unbelievebly scary :scream: !4: Yeeh, I really liked to see eir and snaff. The talk between eir and braham was well done. I am happy that Braham finally knows how much of a KITTEN he has been in the past.5: I played this whole patch with a scourge support build (so my dps is a bit lower), and I was happy to see that there were often NPcs I could support. So my build was still quite usefull :smile: .6: The Aurene cutscene was very beautifull and nicely done. The ending with the glass breaking animation and the sad sound Aurene made, broke my heart. Poor Aurene.7: Sorry, but I am not a fan of Zafirah. Her boss fight was really annoying me. And she has kind-of the same secretive vibe as caithe, but then less believeable and fun. Secondly, I did not really understand why the pc is following the future of aurenes vision, bc she does not want aurene to die, right? Sparing Zafirah bc she was part of a possible future in which aurene died, seemed illogical to me. Bc you dont want that future to happen, right? Right? :/8: I really like walking in open world with Blish :3. The new map is really nice, mainly the ???-part9: Glint`s return was nice :).10: Why did you kill Blish :'( ? Why?:heartbreak: He was such a fun, cute and nice character. It made me always so happy to see him. He was one of my favorite characters. Blish was such an adorable little robot and I really liked him . Please bring him back. It would make me so happy to see him again. Please let us put him back together, or save him from the mists :'( .

@brenda.9723 said:7: Sorry, but I am not a fan of Zafirah. Her boss fight was really annoying me. And she has kind-of the same secretive vibe as caithe, but then less believeable and fun. Secondly, I did not really understand why the pc is following the future of aurenes vision, bc she does not want aurene to die, right? Sparing Zafirah bc she was part of a possible future in which aurene died, seemed illogical to me. Bc you dont want that future to happen, right? Right? :/

because aurene also died in the visions without her, so she is a potential ally in the fight against kralk and shooing her away wouldn't change anything.

:heartbreak: He was such a fun, cute and nice character. It made me always so happy to see him. He was one of my favorite characters. Blish was such an adorable little robot and I really liked him . Please bring him back. It would make me so happy to see him again. Please let us put him back together, or save him from the mists :'( .

no, that'd just be insulting

@brenda.9723 said:

:heartbreak: He was such a fun, cute and nice character. It made me always so happy to see him. He was one of my favorite characters. Blish was such an adorable little robot and I really liked him . Please bring him back. It would make me so happy to see him again. Please let us put him back together, or save him from the mists :'( .

Why would that be insulting?

@brenda.9723 said:@brenda.9723 said:

@"derd.6413" said:

Why would that be insulting?

killing of a character of like that and being like "lol, no he's fine" is just emotional manipulation which i find an insult to my inteligence.

plus it'd make his sacrifice meaningless because he has plot armor.

Zafirah was one of my favorite parts. Provides some sorely needed depth to the Balth followers and what happened to them after everything.

My human female Commander even said a line at the end about how she too worshipped Balthazar. I was wondering if that was a generic human line, or unique to my Commander because I selected Balthazar as the god who “blessed” me or whatever long ago in the character creator?

Definitely don’t think she’s going to replace Balth since Kormir implied there was already a replacement for him. She clearly is going to have some major plot significance since we saw her in Aurene’s visions before we met her.

@"derd.6413" said:

killing of a character of like that and being like "lol, no he's fine" is just emotional manipulation which i find an insult to my inteligence. plus it'd make his sacrifice meaningless because he has plot armor.

I see the "sacrifice is meaningless without dying" argument all the time, and it is just not true.In comics people die all the time, without making the sacrifices meaningless.

There are very good reasons why he could survive:-He is made out of extremely high asuran technology.

• He is in the mist, so there are all kinds of space and time shenanigans possible.
  • He did not die on screen. So he might have survived.

@brenda.9723 said:@"derd.6413" said:

killing of a character of like that and being like "lol, no he's fine" is just emotional manipulation which i find an insult to my inteligence. plus it'd make his sacrifice meaningless because he has plot armor.

I see the "sacrifice is meaningless without dying" argument all the time, and it is just not true.In comics people die all the time, without making the sacrifices meaningless.

There are very good reasons why he could survive:-He is made out of extremely high asuran technology.
  • He is in the mist, so there are all kinds of space and time shenanigans possible.
  • He did not die on screen. So he might have survived.

Blish connected his own energy to the tracker, so the tracker could work. He didn't die because of the corruption, he died, because he used the whole energy to power up the tracker on Balthazar's sword.

This specific part of the Mists is under Kralk's control, so I doubt we will ever recover Blish's golem.

@brenda.9723 said:@"derd.6413" said:

you're misreading my argument

i'm not saying "sacrifice is meaningless without dying"

i'm saying "if they sacrifice something and they get it back imediatly then the sacrifice is meaningless"

Archived