Rename Blazeridge Stepps Botridge Stepps

alphafert.6730

I enjoy node farming & often run the same(or similar) paths. I have been seeing constant botting. Every time I run this map its either north by the hp, middle by the ruins or by a harpy pond lower middle. Now its spreading to other spots on my run, Hirathi & the map below Blazeridge. Its a bit ridiculous when I can run 7 toons through a 30min run spread out over a 12hr period & see the same botters every run.

• 1 month later...

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:I used to see a number of bots on my farming runs. I reported them by name and they disappeared.

Coincidence?

precisely, a coincidence.go check blazeridge steppes, north of shatterer event. The bot's been there for months non stop. Wearing legendary and cash shop cosmetics, does not seem to give enough effs about anet and reports, which came in dozens whenever i asked people to take another moment after the event to come over and report.

@FKwrong.9104 said:

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:I used to see a number of bots on my farming runs. I reported them by name and they disappeared.

Coincidence?

precisely, a coincidence.go check blazeridge steppes, north of shatterer event. The bot's been there for months non stop. Wearing legendary and cash shop cosmetics, does not seem to give enough effs about anet and reports, which came in dozens whenever i asked people to take another moment after the event to come over and report.

And I used to see a number of bots in the area I farm over there, I reported them by name and not only are they gone (as in they don’t log in any more) but I don’t see more of them.

/shrug. Perhaps you’re not reporting bots.

I don't support actions that go against the ToS or general gaming ethics, but personally I've never been bothered by these AFK farmers (I don't want to say 'bot' because there's no way to prove they're actually botting). To me these guys are harmless, and definitely not the worst problem the game has.

Sure, they stand around and do nothing at all, but the loot and profit they get from spawnkilling random mobs is probably so marginal I don't understand the outrage. They're not stealing anyone's kills (necro minions and engi turrets don't instakill mobs, you still have plenty of time to tag if you want to farm them), they're not stealing anyone elses loot, they're not standing in anyone's way, and chances are you actually make more money than they do in 10 minutes actively doing something versus passively standing still for 10 hours. If they want to keep their PCs running and electricity bills growing for some marginal junk loot, I say be my quest.

Also, I really really miss these guys in Bitterfrost. I don't know what Anet did to nerf necro AFK farming there, but they just vanished. It was a joy gathering berries without getting chilled and harassed by 10 mobs at every single node. These AFK necros kept the nodes clean and got some junk loot in return; it was actually a fair trade-off IMO.

@Hevoskuuri.3891 said:I don't support actions that go against the ToS or general gaming ethics, but personally I've never been bothered by these AFK farmers (I don't want to say 'bot' because there's no way to prove they're actually botting). To me these guys are harmless, and definitely not the worst problem the game has.

Sure, they stand around and do nothing at all, but the loot and profit they get from spawnkilling random mobs is probably so marginal I don't understand the outrage. They're not stealing anyone's kills (necro minions and engi turrets don't instakill mobs, you still have plenty of time to tag if you want to farm them), they're not stealing anyone elses loot, they're not standing in anyone's way, and chances are you actually make more money than they do in 10 minutes actively doing something versus passively standing still for 10 hours. If they want to keep their PCs running and electricity bills growing for some marginal junk loot, I say be my quest.

Also, I really really miss these guys in Bitterfrost. I don't know what Anet did to nerf necro AFK farming there, but they just vanished. It was a joy gathering berries without getting chilled and harassed by 10 mobs at every single node. These AFK necros kept the nodes clean and got some junk loot in return; it was actually a fair trade-off IMO.

Yeah they kept our berries safe. And they were atleast doing something to help other who activly farm berries. Its not ok but atleast there they did atleast be of assistance

If you report the same person over and over again for months and he keeps being at that spot, then he simply is not afk. ArenaNet checks those spots and checks people reported. Just because he does not move or cares to reply to you does not mean he is not there.

Also it is not "now spreading to other spots". We had long discussions about this on the old forums 2 years ago and people have been doing it at various spots for ages. Some people claim it gets worse and worse, yet nothing of that sort happens. People may move from one spot to another, depending on what they need or what is more profitable at the time. Undoubtedly there are some chars among those who are afk over longer periods of time. But those are the ones who will be caught sooner or later and get actioned by ArenaNet.

PS: Engineers are much more likely do be doing something against the rules than necros, because Engis need to recast their turrets periodically. However that is likely being done by a mouseclicker or keystroke tool, not an actual bot. So if anything, a better name for you to nickname it would be Macroridge Steppe :)

@alphafert.6730 said:I was referring to a player that would appear, start moving & shooting in a rotating pattern repeating skills (ranger) and continued even with no enemy monsters there. I haven't been playing so I don't know how it is now.

report and move on.When you report a player for AFK farming with bots, a GM whispers them to check if its a bot or not. If they dont respond in X amount of minutes, they get the hammer.

By the way just standing and farming is allowed, using bots isn't.

I haven't noticed any of those in my recent trips, but I'm not really paying that much attention. Botting, however, bothers me when it's done in quest areas. In Aion, for example, there's a "popular" bot spot that directly interferes with campaign quest completion. It's sad that you can report those, and come back a week later on another toon to find that the same ones are still there, running the same patterns. When they make getting quests done harder than it should be, they definitely need to be removed.

Archived