The default controls and settings are..

And what would you suggest to fix it?

In my opinion, this game is unplayable with default controls. Movement and attack all on the same hand (keyboard hand) with only camera control on the other (mouse) hand needs to change. It's hardly ergonomic and it's not intuitive. Please allow us to bind controls to the mouse buttons / scroll wheel instead of locking it for only camera controls.

Scroll up/down can be used to select/highlight skills, left click could be used to use highlighted skills, middle click could be used to move to location, and right click could be used for camera controls.

page up/page down can be changed for camera zoom options, shift+ right click could be used for free camera.

@TheBravery.9615 said:Please allow us to bind controls to the mouse buttons / scroll wheel instead of locking it for only camera controls.

there is nothing preventing you from rebinding the keybinds to your liking - I even know a guy who has all skills under his thumb (one of thse crazy fellas with 30 buttons mouse....)

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Can't you already change the key-binds?

indeed you can

EDIT: also in action mode left mouse button is used to call out your auto-attack and right one is used for targetting

@Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

@TheBravery.9615 said:Please allow us to bind controls to the mouse buttons / scroll wheel instead of locking it for only camera controls.

there is nothing preventing you from rebinding the keybinds to your liking - I even know a guy who has all skills under his thumb (one of thse crazy fellas with 30 buttons mouse....)

indeed you can

EDIT: also in action mode left mouse button is used to call out your auto-attack and right one is used for targetting

The current build of this game does not allow me to bind weapon skill 1 to left click. Or maybe I don't know something you know? Please explain.

@TheBravery.9615 said:

indeed you can

The current build of this game does not allow me to bind weapon skill 1 to left click. Or maybe I don't know something you know? Please explain.

yeah I noticed that part after posted the post, therefore edit about action mode: keybinds->camera->toggle action camera this will make left mouse button use auto and right one take target and you'll be rotating camera with just mouse movement

Default settings are just fine, don't know why we even need a vote thread for that. Just as in any other game you can rebind most of the keys to your own likings.The default bindings are always set up in a way that will fit the vast majority of casual players, and that's exactly the same with GW2.

I think the defaults are fine as a starting point. My current setup is nothing like the defaults, but it's also nothing like your suggestion, or most of the keyboard layouts I see suggested on this forum. Which makes me think we'd never find one setup which was good for everyone, or even all the people on the forum. Therefore IMO it doesn't matter much what the default is, as long as it's possible to do the absolute basics with it so you can play enough to figure out a better setup for you. The important thing is that you can change it.

Personally, I've never been much for extensive rebinding. I just move a couple things here and there.

One issue for me is that I switch between 2-3 computers, with somewhat different setup (different mice primarily) so I've learned not to get too used to functions I can't rig on all units.

I'm always impressed when I see someones complete rebind, though.

I've played using the default controls for over 6 years now, so I disagree that the game is unplayable with them. The only things I've changed are I've assigned the special action to R, and shift+number for each mount. That said, part of the reason I haven't changed the controls is that I've got used to them now, and I'm afraid that if I change them I'll keep pressing the default keys instead of the new ones I've assigned.

I agree that the defaults are not ideal, mostly because you have to reach a long way for some of the skills. I have big enough hands that this isn't a problem for me (plus I play the piano, which I guess probably helps) - but I can see that it could be a big problem for some people. I do think the default controls are very intuitive though (to me at least), in that the keys for skills match up with where their icons appear on the screen.

I don't like the sound of what the OP suggested - all that scrolling sounds awkward and fiddly to me. I do think that option should be possible, but not that it should be the default.

Six button mouse does it for me (the HEX). Of which I use all of three side buttons on, to get strafing and back pedaling, and press LMB/RMB to move forward so my left hand can freely press all the action and UI buttons without having to also keep me moving. I've reassigned a number of keys to match what I learned in DAoC, Horizons, and WoW, and lit up colors on my keys to let my peripheral vision spot them faster, but given the customization available I've had no complaint about the provided defaults.

@Haleydawn.3764 said:Standard MMO defaults. WASD for movement, and number keys for skills. /shrug.Nothing needs fixing because we can rebind keys to our hearts content using the Options menu.

Not quite! At least not what I would have in mind. The default have A and D set to turning the camera and instead of strafing.

@DeanBB.4268 said:Razer Tarterus will solve your problem (I think).

or pretty much any gaming mouse or just mouse with additional buttons.

For clarification I mean for comfortable play. The default settings serve their purpose initially.

While I'm sure some of the default settings are useable such as WASD, I simply have to adjust things in a game like this - especially camera settings but also keybinds taking into account different builds, skills, combos and cooldowns in order for everything to be accessible and also minimising potential for discomfort. There's just too many variables in gameplay for the default keybinds and option settings to fit everything.

But nothing needs fixing, it's a good starting point and then it's up to each player to customise things if they want to.

For me, it is hard to vote on this thread. Two reasons for that:

• Whatever the defaults are, we can adapt almost all of them the way we want. So I am not sure there is a reason to complain?
  • Like for many other things, the set up is a personal matter. And probably this poll will show it. Some like the default, some does not like it, and at the end, each of us does what suits each best.

Personally, after this loud thinking: I don't believe that the default set up can be defined as good or bad A default set up is just a basis allowing to start playing without to bother. From that basis, what we do next is entirely up to us. And since the game allows to adjust everything, I believe it is very good as is. I vote great therefore.

Archived