The default controls and settings are..

There are few default settings I don't like. Mount abilities being one example. But since the game allows us to rebind almost everything and even allows key-combinations I don't have any problems with that.

For combat I'm using skills 1-5 on keyboard and 6-0 on mouse. The game doesn't recognize my mouse buttons, so I set up a makro that sends the corresponding number when I press it. Since it's one button -> another button and doesn't automate anything it should be fine.

I normally start with the default setup and only move something when it's bothering me, but my current GW2 setup is almost nothing like the default. Maybe because I've been playing for 6 years so I've had time to make lots of little adjustments, and maybe because unlike most games I play you can't pause it, so I have to be able to reach everything quickly.

My current set-up has all the combat skills on the number pad, along with Next Target, Take Target, weapon swap and the profession skills on the 4 buttons along the top. Page Up and Page Down are F5 and the special action key and I use the arrow keys to move. (I'm left handed so my right hand is on the keyboard, meaning I can have my fingers on the number pad and my thumb on the arrow keys).

Dodge, mount, F, auto-run and action camera are bound to the extra buttons on my mouse, a G400 which 'only' has 5 extra buttons - 3 down the middle and 2 on the side - but unlike most mice with extra buttons I can reach them using it left handed.

I still have WASD bound, but with A and D for strafe and Q and E for turning. Then I have jump bound to \ because that's more comfortable for me to reach with my right hand. I use that when I'm doing jumping puzzles and other precise movements. All my menu buttons are in a row along the number keys in the same order they appear on the screen. Then my mounts use 8, 9 0, -, = and the roller beetle is on ].

At this point I think the only key I haven't moved is F.

@TheBravery.9615 said:

@Dainank.1308 said:I use the mouse for movement

literally how

You can actually do that with the defaults. Hold down both mouse buttons and your character will run forwards and turn when you move the mouse. You can even turn in place by stopping, turning the camera in the direction you want to go and then holding down both mouse buttons - your character will pivot on the spot and run in that direction. (It sounds more complicated than it is.)

That or auto-run + right mouse to turn is how I move most of the time. I only use the keyboard to move in combat and in places where I need precise movements.

Archived